Gyno Surgery (Pre-Op Questions & Post Op Results)

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Okay, sounds like a good middle ground; thanks guys!

I was told that i could wear the vest half the day (so either wear it during the day and take it off at night/in bed, or vice versa), and to wear a tight tank top when not wearing the vest (with the exception of showering).

I figured I'd just keep wearing it as much as I can when it's not inconvenient, and that would afford me the freedom to remove it for workouts, or when I want to wear something it would conflict with. So I wear tight tanktops when working out, or underneath my tighter shirts.
Okay, was just wondering if wearing it most of the day might be slowing recovery since it seems it could heal more outside of the vest with improved circulation and more free movement regarding the stll numb areas.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Okay, was just wondering if wearing it most of the day might be slowing recovery since it seems it could heal more outside of the vest with improved circulation and more free movement regarding the stll numb areas.
It's not restrictive as far as range of motion goes at all, and my understanding is the prupose of it is to reduce swelling and then following that to just help the skin tighten up and not end up hanging loosely.

At this point it just feels like I'm wearing a tank top under my clothes most of the day.

On Halloween they said I can burn it if I want to, that's the day that I am 100% cleared to do anything I want (skydive, snorkelling, any and all lifting, sports, etc). So if it is causing some of the numbness, due to circulation issues, it won't be for much longer.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It's not restrictive as far as range of motion goes at all, and my understanding is the prupose of it is to reduce swelling and then following that to just help the skin tighten up and not end up hanging loosely.

At this point it just feels like I'm wearing a tank top under my clothes most of the day.

On Halloween they said I can burn it if I want to, that's the day that I am 100% cleared to do anything I want (skydive, snorkelling, any and all lifting, sports, etc). So if it is causing some of the numbness, due to circulation issues, it won't be for much longer.
Cool makes sense. Do you plan on doing before and after pics once you aren't wearing the vest?

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Cool makes sense. Do you plan on doing before and after pics once you aren't wearing the vest?
Things actually lined up so that my normal progression photos were taken right before the surgery, and then 3 weeks later when the scars had healed up enough that you can't really see them in the photos. Next set of photos will be right after halloween iirc.

All my progress photos are taken from far enough away that you would be able to tell the difference, but it's very slight. The surgeon took before photos and they will take after photos at some point here as well. If I ever spot them on the website I'll download them and post them here (since those will be close ups and should give a much better idea of before/after).

I can see a huge difference personally. But it definitely made my chest look smaller. It's actually pretty crazy how much that fatty tissue can look like pec muscle (at least until you start pushing into it while flexed). I didn't have a giant chest to begin with, so I definitely have my work cut out for me in the next phase of my training to build a proper upper body.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Things actually lined up so that my normal progression photos were taken right before the surgery, and then 3 weeks later when the scars had healed up enough that you can't really see them in the photos. Next set of photos will be right after halloween iirc.

All my progress photos are taken from far enough away that you would be able to tell the difference, but it's very slight. The surgeon took before photos and they will take after photos at some point here as well. If I ever spot them on the website I'll download them and post them here (since those will be close ups and should give a much better idea of before/after).

I can see a huge difference personally. But it definitely made my chest look smaller. It's actually pretty crazy how much that fatty tissue can look like pec muscle (at least until you start pushing into it while flexed). I didn't have a giant chest to begin with, so I definitely have my work cut out for me in the next phase of my training to build a proper upper body.
Yeah, I have become quite aware recently how my overall chest mass is going to look a lot different once I get it done. I still think it will be an improvement but also that I am going to need to start doing more wide grip pressing to build up the outer pec as much as the inner pec. Pec tightened I still have a good 1.75-2 inches out from my sternum of hard muscle but I think the outer pec is going to look much smaller, and the length of the pec up and down is going to be a lot smaller.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yeah, I have become quite aware recently how my overall chest mass is going to look a lot different once I get it done. I still think it will be an improvement but also that I am going to need to start doing more wide grip pressing to build up the outer pec as much as the inner pec. Pec tightened I still have a good 1.75-2 inches out from my sternum of hard muscle but I think the outer pec is going to look much smaller, and the length of the pec up and down is going to be a lot smaller.
Yeah, there's a good chance you'll end up with a diagonal pec at the bottom, rather than a horizontal line.

I used to have a horizontal line, now it's diagonal. Still have some swelling that needs to go away and some scar tissue under the skin at the incision points that I need massage and break up over the coming months/year.

I already feel like I made the right decision, even if things end up imperfect, I'm confident though that when I cut in the coming months that I won't end up lean everywhere with two little mosquito bite man boobs left-over.

And it's REALLY nice being able to wear a tight shirt and feeling like it just rounds down over my pecs, rather than poking out and showing two little mounds.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’m happy for you man. It’s just like the surgeons say. They can’t offer you perfection, but they can offer a sizable improvement that will effectively change your life through being more comfortable in your own body.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Got in my first upper body workout in about 5 weeks. Felt so good.

The combo of time off and bpc has my elbow feeling much better, but still definitely not 100%.

First workout was lat prayers (just to prefatigue the lats prior to pull ups). It definitely worked to prefatigue them, probably too well, because instead of doing 11 I was only able to do 3 before my lats were too tired. My elbow really bothered me during the pullups, so I only did the one set of 3. I'll have to adjust things in the coming weeks to figure out how I can get more sets/reps of the pull ups to actually really work them.

Kept my incline curls to very lite weight, so those didn't feel bad at all. Will up that next week and see if things feel just as good.

All of my tricep work didn't bother my elbow at all, and I got a great pump.

After some crunches I went for a run. Super tired right now, wanna fall asleep. All in all, it was a great 60 min.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm DOMSing hard today. Woke up with sore tri's, and now my back is starting to ache too. Surprised by soreness in my traps as well (wasn't expecting that), and even got some sore abs from just 2 sets of crunches.

Feels great, but a reminder that I've got a lot of muscle groups that haven't gotten any love in awhile.

Today is legs!

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Been a minute since I last updated, so I figured I'd post one, since there's a few things worth mentioning.

I'm back in the groove with training now. Doing my phase 2 workout routine that I posted earlier in this thread. I'm just starting week 3 now and the first workout was brutal. I loved it. Still worn out and it's been over an hour since I finished it.

Doing "maintanance" calories (which began on Oct 31st) for the next four weeks, then I'll start a 6 week cut. I've been gaining around 0.4 lbs a week the last 3 weeks or so. Plan for the cut is to shed 2 lbs per week and then do 4 weeks of maintenance. Not planning to take any new supplements to assist, just going to get strict with the food and adjust calories/cardio as needed to continue progressing throughout.

My left elbow is feeling better after about a month on bpc. I ordered 3 more weeks worth of bpc and 3 weeks worth of tb500 (which I havent used before) to hopefully get it back to 100% while I continue to train.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
In regards to my recovery from surgery there have been a few developments:

I have two scars on my left lat from where the vest dug into the skin for the first 2 weeks post op. Everything was so uncomfortable that I didn't realize that the vest was digging into the skin and messing things up so badly. The doc recommended some creams to try to fix the skin pigmentation but I'm concerned that they aren't going to do enough, so I may request some skin bleaching (which is a thing they do) and my hope is that they will do it at no cost sometime down the road if the creams don't fix it. It's too bad I don't have (or intend to get) any tatoos, because the lines could actually be worked into some cool ink if I was so inclined.

Other thing to note is that the doc recommended that if I felt any bumps under the surface at the incision sites that I should massage them to break up scar tissue. I think I may have worked the skin too hard because I've now got some swelling under each nipple (the left much moreso than the right). So I'm stopping that practice until they can take another look at things and tell me what to do, or if I need to just leave things alone for a bit. My next appointment is Friday afternoon.

I still have a bit of numbness/tenderness in my chest, but it's not holding me back from doing anything I want to do. I'm still very happy w the results and I expect most of the above issues will be resolved by the time summer rolls around.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Glad your able to get back into the groove. You’re probably getting some inflammation from getting back to working normal and the increased activity is what’s causing the puffiness, but good call on holding off on rubbing any lumps until your doctor can examine you. Sounds like overall everything is going well.

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good to hear things are going smoothly overall. Let us know what the doc says; I’m assuming you did break some stuff apart and there’s just some internal inflammation/blood now. Which eventually would get absorbed back into the body like all bruising.

Contrary opinion here, but I would say scars can be kind of cool. Maybe they’re not ideal for modeling, but otherwise I don’t think they usually take much from a physique.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Good to hear things are going smoothly overall. Let us know what the doc says; I’m assuming you did break some stuff apart and there’s just some internal inflammation/blood now. Which eventually would get absorbed back into the body like all bruising.

Contrary opinion here, but I would say scars can be kind of cool. Maybe they’re not ideal for modeling, but otherwise I don’t think they usually take much from a physique.
Yeah, as far as scars go they look relatively cool.

They just don't come with a cool story.

"Yeah, got these bad boys when my compression vest dug into my skin for a few weeks, after I had my nipples cut open voluntarily."

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

"Yeah, got these bad boys when my compression vest dug into my skin for a few weeks, after I had my nipples cut open voluntarily."
You are just selling it wrong.

"I was caught in a contraption so tight, and for so long it cut through my skin. It was a very painful and high pressure situation. I prefer not to go into the details!"

BOOM!!! Instant man of mystery!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Kleen has it right.

YOU are the storyteller. You only need to tell them whatever you want…and whether it’s even true is something they’ll also never know

The number of scars I have from wrestling alligators would blow your mind

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

You could just say “I could tell you the whole story, but it would blow my cover and they said I would have to kill you.”…..or is that a little too much? 🤷🏻‍♂️

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Been a bit since my last update so I'll try to be concise.

Last visit went well, they want me to continue to work the skin so no scar tissue ends up connecting the skin to the muscle such that the skin can't slide around a bit (that was my understanding anyways). I haven't been super diligent with this and need to probably be better about doing it...

Still have some swelling under the nipples and it's assymetrical (more on the left side than the right side). I'm hopeful that will go away over time so I'm just patiently waiting and watching.

My work outs have been awesome. Finished the first 4 week phase potentiation cycle (the one I posted earlier in this thread). It went great, got progressively harder, lots of DOMS as the start and at the end. Today is the beginning of the second 4 week cycle. Not gonna change too much around yet, the weights should be dialed in much more accurately this time, but I can already see that my workout order will need to be slightly adjusted in a few areas next cycle in order to more effectively target my lats.

My chest development has been actually really exciting over the last 4 weeks. I feel like I've made equivalent gains in the last 4 weeks to what I made all last year. Speaks to the effectiveness of specializing on those muscle groups, and the workout plan in general.

I've continued to steadily gain weight each week (averaging 0.5 to 1lb each week) during this "maintenance" phase. My 6 week cut officially starts next week (so I get to enjoy Thanksgiving). Plan is to cut 2lbs per week for 6 weeks. I'm around 195 right now, so if I can dial it in right I'll be 183 or so when it ends. The key will be actually maintaining that weight for the 4 weeks that follow. That may prove more challenging than the cut. We'll see!

Sorry for the long post... so much for concise!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Just curious, you ever gonna let us see some before and after pics? We know it ain't perfect yet but I would love to see the difference.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Just curious, you ever gonna let us see some before and after pics? We know it ain't perfect yet but I would love to see the difference.
Definitely plan to, the doc said she's gonna take photos at my next visit (12-13 I think), and I'll ask if she can send them my way. They may end up on their website eventually, but I can't be sure.

Those will be the best angles, any other photos probably won't show it as definitively.

If I'm unable to get those, I can post some before and afters from my progress set, I just don't think they'll show the difference as well.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Those after Thanksgiving cuts always look good, because you get to see all that additional Thanksgiving weight peel off with the rest. And usually the transformation is pretty dramatic.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Those after Thanksgiving cuts always look good, because you get to see all that additional Thanksgiving weight peel off with the rest. And usually the transformation is pretty dramatic.
Yep, and I know I will pig out a bit myself over TG weekend.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm not really planning to pig out. I've just been living the "eat as much as I feel like" lifestyle for months now and my body has been very happy with it. I've always been a hard gainer and between weights, hockey, alot of walking at work, and chasing the kids around, I just burn a lot off with my lifestyle. When you couple that with my metabolism (still very blessed at the age of 42 to have visible abs, even if they aren't crisp), the fat right now just doesn't seem to be increasing, regardless of my current diet.

I'm actually a little concerned that I'm going to back the calories off too much when I start my cut and I may lose more weight initially than I hope to. The real trick is going to be dialing it in so I lose at the right pace, and sticking with it!

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yep, and I know I will pig out a bit myself over TG weekend.
Yeah, I won’t even be sniffing a cut until after New Years, because I will still have all that Christmas and New Years food to eat….after all I can’t let it go to waste.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yep I will just limit the food in between the holidays since I am trying to recomp or grow leaner.