Giving fitness advice without appearing to be a pompous ass (not about this forum)

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
First off I just want to say that this thread isn't about advice giving on this forum. I'm referring to giving fitness advice to someone in person. Moreover, someone who is out of shape.

So, probably like a lot of you, I'm one of the more fit guys in my area and especially around my circle of friends and their friends and their friends... So I get asked a lot of questions sometimes about how to get bigger or how to lose fat, ect..

I LOVE giving fitness advice (as long as I know that I know what I'm talking about haha)... My passions are music, first and foremost (I'm a musician, I'll post some of my music on this forum sometime, I'm pretty good ;) ) and fitness. So when someone asks me about working out or dieting, I just open up and later on realize that I talk too much. I'm sure a lot of you know exactly what I mean!

But the nuts of this thread is, how do you give advice without appearing to be an ass? There's no personal experience that comes to mind, I'm just curious... Because I've often wondered (in my own head) if the person I'm giving advice to ever thinks I'm arrogant because I'm in good shape and know what I'm talking about. I know this idea is inherently ridiculous, but surely it's happened to me and me not know it. Example: I'm trying to be informative and helpful but the way I'm talking or coming across is making them think, "Jeez dude, stop bragging." But bragging wouldn't be my intentions. I've always been humble about any talents I have (well, music and fitness are pretty much it lol) so I never want someone to think I'm being arrogant. Confidence is great, arrogance sucks.

Now, I know that some people are obviously overconfident in their appearances and knowledge (even though often times they're wrong to do so haha) and just through tone alone can give the impression of being a douche. So is that the key? Tone? Depending on your tone of voice can determine if someone is really appreciating your advice or thinking you're being an arrogant ass? Or is it tone and something else? In pondering this, assume the advice given is sound, not incorrect... I hate when people give crappy fitness advice!!! If I don't know the answer, then I refer the person to search for the answer while I help (i.e., Hey, go use Google to get started, I'll look around too and message you some stuff on Facebook, ect..).

I quickly proof read this thread and it's a little confusing but I don't feel like editing and retyping, so hopefully someone can contribute.

No lengthy response is necessary, just quick opinions/stories would be nice. Thanks everyone!

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
Well, you have to give them baby steps. You cannot tell someone who is used to eating fast food once or twice a day to cut out fast food for example. I would tell them to avoid certain things and leave it at that. If they don't make that adjustment, and most likely they won't, then no need to give them any more advice. If they do clean up their eating habits a bit, then next time you give them another tip.

By no means am I as fit as most of you guys, but I do consider myself in good shape. Family comment about wanting to lose weight, but I know they are not willing to change their eating habits. Either I give them small tips or I let them know that they need to be committed to it and when they are ready, I can help them out but they usually don't. They just want to sound interested to feel better about themselves thinking they are trying.

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I agree with the above.

I notice a much better response and attitude in return for trying to encourage taking small steps first.

supraseed48

supraseed48

Awards
Some people like the idea of getting in shape and some people really want to do it. Your task is to figure out which you are talking to and go from there. I wouldnt try to overwhelm with info but @ the same time they need to know getting fit isn't something you do on a whim. People who are genuinely serious will usually ask enough questions to give plenty to discuss. Tell them what might work for them instead of what all worked for you. Thats been my experience...

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
I remember trying to give my ex girlfriend helpful tips about eatting/excercise and she thought i was calling her fat :nono2: hahaha

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Some people like the idea of getting in shape and some people really want to do it. Your task is to figure out which you are talking to and go from there. I wouldnt try to overwhelm with info but @ the same time they need to know getting fit isn't something you do on a whim. People who are genuinely serious will usually ask enough questions to give plenty to discuss. Tell them what might work for them instead of what all worked for you. Thats been my experience...
I hate when someone really starts talking about exercising and dieting like it's the best idea they've ever had only to quit shortly after they realize it's hard work.

Thanks for the input, fellas.

ReedSkin

ReedSkin

Awards
I hate when someone really starts talking about exercising and dieting like it's the best idea they've ever had only to quit shortly after they realize it's hard work.

Thanks for the input, fellas.
This tends to happy a lot to me, I work as an IBEW Electrician, so most are tired from work, lazy, horrible eaters. Yet at work they want to know all my (little bit) of knowledge. I can tell them to train a certain way or diet or watch your food intake or what your eating, but usually I find myself wasting my breathe. I want to know how to spread the love and motivation I have or my fitness and training.