Gaming discussion

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
That’s not really going to be fixed by modded controllers that’s more an issue with the poor net code and server tick rates in games.

Gotta get the fps up or minimize input lag so that the other stuff you can’t control is the only limiter.

It is tough and frustrating at times though.
Any suggestions for that? I'm on an Xbox One X, so I'm sure upgrading to the Series X would be best, but otherwise, I'm hardwired to the modem, TV is on game mode, latency is usually 20-50 (sometimes 10-20), packet loss is always 0, and using the best hmdi cable available. Anything I'm missing?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ya it’s tough on console to change too much. If you are on the right mode for the TV that’s about as much as you can do, series X should run most of the competitive games at 120 vs 60 fps so that’s really the only major difference you could get.

I wouldn’t sweat it, there’s only so much you can do with certain games. I’ll say current warzone seems better and in that regard compared to back when it was on Verdansk. The cheating and the hit registration was brutal at certain points that I had to give up playing haha

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Back in 1985 when I was 13 my family went on vacation in Seattle, we stayed in Everette. I absolutely loved it and always wanted to go back. Not any more. Have you ever been to Ocean Shores? I wanted to vacation there some time.
yeah we go occasionally, the best razor clamming is usually around there and the game department just announced this years razor clam season. My wife grew up going to Forks (same area the old vampire movies were based on). I'm not a huge fan of the Washington coast, I prefer the islands and inner waterways. we do a lot of boating from the southern tip of Olympia up into the San Juans. if we can afford an upgrade in our boat budget then we want to start venturing a little further north into the Canadian islands too.

if you come out again, I really highly recommend taking a ferry into the San Juan Islands. I've lived here my whole life and to this day, boating into the islands is the most surreal, beautiful experience. absolutely mind blowing to cruise between the islands on a sunny day.

AwakeningAlpha

AwakeningAlpha

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Didn't know we had a gaming discussion. Just putting in my two cents of personal recommendations based on the few hours a week I sometimes have...

FPS: Borderlands 3 and Destiny 2
ARPG: Diablo 3 (still an amazing game to this day)
Souls-like: Elden Ring (we have a love/hate relationship)
MMORPG: Guild Wars 2 (best community of players I've ever encountered in this genre)
Platformer: Crash Bandicoot
BORDERLANDS! Fun game I forgot about.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
BORDERLANDS! Fun game I forgot about.
How can you forget borderlands??? Damn dude!!

Jeez those games were a huge time sink for me at one point. My dad and I played through the first two together I think twice each. I don’t remember if I played the others with him or if that was later. Not too long ago, my brother and sister and I played through 3 i together online. That was fun to do that even after we all moved out to our own places.

Quest

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Gauntlet was great.
The very first Metroid and I cant remember the name of this military game where you had to find key cards and gas masks etc.
When you finished the level it showed him smoking a cigarette

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Steam NXT is on this week and that means a lot of free demos. I just tried Robocop and unfortunately it wasn’t that good. I didn’t even finish the demo.

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Played through Alan Wake this weekend in preperation for Alan Wake 2 in 2 weeks. Game has a really good story and the imersion is great. But the combat gets repetitive on the long run, so i hope that is something they have improved upon.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Played through Alan Wake this weekend in preperation for Alan Wake 2 in 2 weeks. Game has a really good story and the imersion is great. But the combat gets repetitive on the long run, so i hope that is something they have improved upon.
Ya gameplay loop was a bit repetitive, but new one I hope fixes some of that. 🤞

Early review embargo lifted for Spider-Man 2. I’ll be picking it up Friday, can’t wait. Looks like Insomniac released a polished and upgraded sequel to the first one. 😁

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ya gameplay loop was a bit repetitive, but new one I hope fixes some of that. 🤞

Early review embargo lifted for Spider-Man 2. I’ll be picking it up Friday, can’t wait. Looks like Insomniac released a polished and upgraded sequel to the first one. 😁
Ive watched a couple of reviews and it looks like you are in for a great game! I havent got a PS5 and havent played any of the other Spider-Man games and right now im more in the mood for a focused single player campaign and not open world.

Maybe ill look into God Of War after im done with Alan Wake 2, that got so many rewards it seems to be a really good one.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ive watched a couple of reviews and it looks like you are in for a great game! I havent got a PS5 and havent played any of the other Spider-Man games and right now im more in the mood for a focused single player campaign and not open world.

Maybe ill look into God Of War after im done with Alan Wake 2, that got so many rewards it seems to be a really good one.
Oh man GOW 2018 is one of those games that when I finally played it on PC I was like why did I take so long to play this??? It is what led me to decide I needed a PS5 because I didn't necessarily want to keep waiting on games like that to come to PC haha

The Last of Us Part 1 is available on PC and is also a really good single player focused non-open world story driven game.

I also really liked both Plagues Tale games, the second one is still probably one of the best looking graphically I have played and both those are similar style single player games.

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Oh man GOW 2018 is one of those games that when I finally played it on PC I was like why did I take so long to play this??? It is what led me to decide I needed a PS5 because I didn't necessarily want to keep waiting on games like that to come to PC haha

The Last of Us Part 1 is available on PC and is also a really good single player focused non-open world story driven game.

I also really liked both Plagues Tale games, the second one is still probably one of the best looking graphically I have played and both those are similar style single player games.
Yeah I played The Last of Us Part 1 on my PS4 when it came out and actually replayed it when the tv series started! Havent played part 2 though.

Ive seen the Plague Tale games, is there a lot of stealth in those? Im horrible at that!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah I played The Last of Us Part 1 on my PS4 when it came out and actually replayed it when the tv series started! Havent played part 2 though.

Ive seen the Plague Tale games, is there a lot of stealth in those? Im horrible at that!
Ya I haven't played part 2 yet, I was about to but there have been rumors of another remaster or remake so I'll wait.

There is stealth, but honestly the stealth in TLOU felt tougher for me than Plague. They are more like puzzle stealth.

Potbelly

Potbelly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Hell let loose is real good Ww2 game. Team oriented

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Anyone play warzone
Used to be an addict then quit then I did pick it up again for a little bit. Quit again with all the one shot shotguns, but maybe I’ll come back when mw3 integrates.

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i mean that’s like going off rotten tomatoes for what movie to watch
I use both to gauge the popularity and quality of games and movies so you are correct there.
But I dont decide on playing or watching based on only those scores.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I feel like you have to be trolling and video games aren't that serious, but...

it’s like playing a 15 year old game
Honestly if that is your take you are just uninformed or don't understand how games work. Insomniac is probably one of the top game developers out there right now with their level of polish and the technicalities of their game development.

It is fine if the style, the innovations aren't things you care about, or type of game isn't your preference, but if you don't understand the different boundaries that have been pushed or what is improved in certain games compared to things in the past that really is more on you than anything.

i mean that’s like going off rotten tomatoes for what movie to watch
Rotten tomatoes isn't a similar comparison to a site that aggregates scores like Metacritic and Opencritic. Rotten Tomatoes scores aren't the same as overall average scores in the same way as these sites.

That doesn't mean you should take either as a sole reason to determine your enjoyment or something, but it is worth pointing out because people often misunderstand how to interpret these different sites. :)

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It’s a no skill game
Ok so I wasted my time replying. That doesn’t really have anything to do with it being like a 15 year old game, but there’s plenty of options if you like more challenging experiences out there.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hell, most of the games I play are 15+ years old lol!
Ya there are still plenty of games that are quite fun to play from the past.

That doesn't mean many things haven't been vastly improved though.

This year will end up being one of the top game release years of all time though.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
A big turn off to me is that when I'm watching a trailer for a new game, it's all cut scenes and no game play. Too many AAA titles rely on stellar graphics over engaging game play these days. I love turn based games and the top 2 are the Xcom series and Divinity 2. I hate them both. Divinity has way too much reading and Xcom is a shoe horn game - Only certain ways to play.
I mean that isn't really even the case for lots of games anymore, many trailers will specify specifically what it is running on and if it is in game or cut scene.

Sure may AAA games maybe lack substance, but at the same time there are still others that don't so it isn't fair to lump everything together.

I play tiny studio indies and I play big studio AAA games and everything in between, I feel I can appreciate what a lot of different views can bring to the table.

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Alan Wake 2 pc requirements dropped last week and the internet caught on fire. They are really hefty and people are not happy. I think ill be alright on my rig, but many have now chosen to play it on consoles instead of PC. It will be interesting to see when the benchmark tests drops.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Man this always happens, I’m convinced most “gamers” don’t actually play games they just live eternally online and complain. 😂

When control came out “low” settings were what ran on consoles and looked pretty good. They’ve always pushed kind of hard and things like low and medium are arbitrary, I’ll wait to be mad til it actually releases and we see (there have been some dumpster fire PC ports this year to be fair).

I maybe missed, what resolution are you playing at?

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Man this always happens, I’m convinced most “gamers” don’t actually play games they just live eternally online and complain. 😂

When control came out “low” settings were what ran on consoles and looked pretty good. They’ve always pushed kind of hard and things like low and medium are arbitrary, I’ll wait to be mad til it actually releases and we see (there have been some dumpster fire PC ports this year to be fair).

I maybe missed, what resolution are you playing at?
Yeah, the reddit for a game the week before release is always a **** show it seems.

Im running my rig on a 4k screen so i think it is 3840x2160 which means 2160p. So i might not be able to run any Ray Tracing on this. Ill let Geforce Experience recommend a setting and try that one out first. I only have a 60hz tv as well so it will imit framerate a little.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ya I’ll use Reddit to see threads posted so I know when news or info is released, but I rarely read any comments. I find the more I know about a subject the more annoying I find that Reddit community. 😭

Ya 4K will be tough with ray tracing (I’m sure the path tracing is going to be brutal since cyberpunks was), but AW2 I don’t think will be super fast paced and you should have access to frame gen as well.

Quest

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I use reddit for dayz, which btw is a 10 year old game. Imo old games blow away newer graphics intense , hate to say it "low skill" games but I agree with him in that case.

Look at ww2online. 20 year old game still thriving I beta tested and it was crap graphics but the pvp was is elite still going.

Whatever floats your boat right? I want to kill you steal your gear and make you cry. Sometimes it happens to me! Graphics are last in order of desire for me.

Been too nice out to game lately been going to the range shooting

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Review embargo on Alan Wake 2 just dropped and it sits at a 89 on Metacritic. Gotta say im super hyped for tomorrow and the release!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Review embargo on Alan Wake 2 just dropped and it sits at a 89 on Metacritic. Gotta say im super hyped for tomorrow and the release!
Ya was sitting above 90 when I looked on OpenCritic.

Performance is definitely heavy, but it looks good and even has a performance mode on PS5 that holds close to the 60 fps target.

Idk when I’ll get around to it, but throwing it on the backlog haha

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you are playing and need help wading through settings: DF Optimized Settings
Thank you! I just put it on medium and no ray tracing and it both looked and performed beautiful. I watched that video though, im sure coult tweak it. But sometimes plug and play is just as good.

Incredible game, just perfect for me. You play as two protagonists and can change whenever. Apparently both campaigns are of a similar length. I played all weekend on one protagonist and havent even finished her story yet. So game is giving me a lot of bang for its bucks.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thank you! I just put it on medium and no ray tracing and it both looked and performed beautiful. I watched that video though, im sure coult tweak it. But sometimes plug and play is just as good.

Incredible game, just perfect for me. You play as two protagonists and can change whenever. Apparently both campaigns are of a similar length. I played all weekend on one protagonist and havent even finished her story yet. So game is giving me a lot of bang for its bucks.
Ya I try not to overthink or overdo the tinkering, but I’ll use the DF settings if I need a little boost from time to time (I think Cyberpunk is the only one I’ve had to tinker too much recently).

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
FWIW I finished SM2 yesterday (not 100% just the story). Really enjoyed it, kind of sad its over. Got me super in the mood to binge some Spidey comics (Hickman is doing a new Ultimate Spider-man start of next year..).

Not sure where I want to go next, I don't have anything that is desperately calling to me. Probably finish Cyberpunk, then idk if I'll dive into some multiplayer games or maybe replay some older titles (tempted to do the Mass Effect Legendary Edition since it has been so long since the originals or maybe the Red Dead series again).

🙃

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
FWIW I finished SM2 yesterday (not 100% just the story). Really enjoyed it, kind of sad its over. Got me super in the mood to binge some Spidey comics (Hickman is doing a new Ultimate Spider-man start of next year..).

Not sure where I want to go next, I don't have anything that is desperately calling to me. Probably finish Cyberpunk, then idk if I'll dive into some multiplayer games or maybe replay some older titles (tempted to do the Mass Effect Legendary Edition since it has been so long since the originals or maybe the Red Dead series again).

🙃
Im glad you enjoyed it.

The Mass Effect trilogy is one of my most memorable game play throughs of my life. I carried the save over between games and it actually FELT real. Tali'Zorah is still the best ingame romance ive experienced so far. But I havent played Baldurs Gate 3 and seems to have some freaky stuff going on.

I havent played Red Dead 2 but I enjoyed the first one.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Im glad you enjoyed it.

The Mass Effect trilogy is one of my most memorable game play throughs of my life. I carried the save over between games and it actually FELT real. Tali'Zorah is still the best ingame romance ive experienced so far. But I havent played Baldurs Gate 3 and seems to have some freaky stuff going on.

I havent played Red Dead 2 but I enjoyed the first one.
Ya I carried saves through when I played back on the older Xboxes. The Legendary Edition has some upgrades from back then, which is why I am tempted.

I also loved RDR2, but it was on Xbox One, I imagine it will look quite a bit better with my current PC compared to then. The first one is one of the only games I've ever 100%.

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Finished Alan Wake 2 with around 30 hours of playtime without trophy hunting.

Amazing game, GOTY for me without a doubt. I want to jump right back and replay it, but im holding of until they drop New Game + later this month (hopefully). The game had this 20 minute chunk that is the most memorable gaming moment of my whole gaming life i think. It blew me completely away. If you wanna watch it for yourself

I started on God Of War and I know its amazing but im still so hard in the Alan Wake world I have a hard time really enjoying it.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
GTA 6 teaser dropped this week. Game looks amazing but its going to be a looooong wait.

Grand Theft Auto VI Trailer 1 - YouTube
Ya, but considering how long it has been since GTA 5 dropped it isn't that long. :p

I am honestly not a huge GTA fan (I've played most of them though a bit) and am a little worried to see what this actually implements after how garbage the microtransactions in GTA online stuff is, but I am still interested. Just wish PC release was with the console release as well.

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ya, but considering how long it has been since GTA 5 dropped it isn't that long. :p

I am honestly not a huge GTA fan (I've played most of them though a bit) and am a little worried to see what this actually implements after how garbage the microtransactions in GTA online stuff is, but I am still interested. Just wish PC release was with the console release as well.
Yeah Ive played all of them as well, crazy to think the first came out in 1997. I never did try the GTA online stuff as to me it just looks like "messing around". Ive noticed that my gaming these days are more revolved around straight storylines. Before I was all about the open world stuff. Exploring, running of the beaten path etc. But these days I just want a tight story with good gameplay.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah Ive played all of them as well, crazy to think the first came out in 1997. I never did try the GTA online stuff as to me it just looks like "messing around". Ive noticed that my gaming these days are more revolved around straight storylines. Before I was all about the open world stuff. Exploring, running of the beaten path etc. But these days I just want a tight story with good gameplay.
Ya I've definitely evolved in that direction too. I think it is more to do with time constraints and also the fact most of the open world games of late tend to be "lazier".

Things like Cyberpunk, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-man, Horizon, etc. though still push a good narrative tale through an open world experience, but they also seem to be find if you just only do main story based stuff too. Then you can explore more if you feel the urge in those games.

I am still leaning more into the straight storylines lately though and don't complete everything open world style like I used to.

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I dont know if anyone has followed the whole debacla around the game The Day Before. Well it has been a total **** show and yesterday it got released into early access and its getting slaughtered. It was supposed to be an Open World MMO Zombie Survivor but ended up being a shitty extraction game.

On a positive note Alan Wake 2 won some rewards and they even had Old Gods Of Asgard performing, which was awesome! Also they are releaseing NG+ on monday!!

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Anyone playing the new warzone maps? Game play is definitely improved, but SBMM still ruins the game.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I dont know if anyone has followed the whole debacla around the game The Day Before. Well it has been a total **** show and yesterday it got released into early access and its getting slaughtered. It was supposed to be an Open World MMO Zombie Survivor but ended up being a shitty extraction game.

View attachment 238515

On a positive note Alan Wake 2 won some rewards and they even had Old Gods Of Asgard performing, which was awesome! Also they are releaseing NG+ on monday!!
I was waiting for that release just to see how bad it would be. 😂

TGA was too long I stopped watching to do other things so had to go back and check the announcements after.

I did see the GOW release, can’t wait to play.

Anyone playing the new warzone maps? Game play is definitely improved, but SBMM still ruins the game.
You think so? Maybe it’s bc I’ve been playing resurgence, but I honestly felt like it hadn’t kicked in or something. Got a second on my first game because I got lost and killed in the gas because I didn’t know how to get up a certain hill 😆

Got a couple of wins and a couple more top 5s with double digit kills and I’ve played maybe 10 games? I think it helps I pretty much picked a few guns that already seem to be the meta though.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I was waiting for that release just to see how bad it would be. 😂

TGA was too long I stopped watching to do other things so had to go back and check the announcements after.

I did see the GOW release, can’t wait to play.

You think so? Maybe it’s bc I’ve been playing resurgence, but I honestly felt like it hadn’t kicked in or something. Got a second on my first game because I got lost and killed in the gas because I didn’t know how to get up a certain hill 😆

Got a couple of wins and a couple more top 5s with double digit kills and I’ve played maybe 10 games? I think it helps I pretty much picked a few guns that already seem to be the meta though.
Well, that's the thing. The first 5-ish games I played were like that...it was great. Then it just started getting harder and harder until it's borderline unplayable now. It's like it's not SBMM for me, but if my KD ratio is 1, then I'm in a lobby with the minimum being 1, not the average.