Fish Oil

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What brand of fish oil does everyone take here? I've been using Ocean Blue Professional for a while but thinking about switching to Nordic Naturals for a more balanced EPA/DHA ratio. Ocean Blue EPA/DHA ratio is 2:1 while Nordic Naturals is more 3:2. Any thoughts are welcome.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
havent used it in a bit .. but i usually just run regular pharmacy brand ( CVS/Riteaid .. costco big bottles are usually the best bank for the bucks )

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The labeling on the Costco stuff is cryptic. It simply says EPA+DHA 250 Mg per softgel. I take 4.

I used to use Vitacost Synergy Mega EFA. Each softgel had 400 Mg EPA and 200 Mg DHA.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What dose of epa/dha y'all getting?

sometimes you can find good deals on purtainprides website .. they often do buy 2 get 3 free but mainly i use those for b12, vitD for parents

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
ya I'm kinda confused on the high EPA fish oil supplements. do they refine them to the levels they want? why does oximega say "Norwegian fish oil" when Norway isn't a fish.

that's why I just do the wild caught usp and do 4 a day. maybe I should try 6. I don't seem to get fish burps

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Here's a list of all the USP certified supplements:

Some of the fish oil can only be bought from Sam's Club, but their site allows non-members to order there's just like a 15% surcharge. I find it's best to get from a good source, like with Nordic Naturals best to order straight from their website rather than some Amazon reseller, because it's fresher and not some Chinese knockoff. And you want the triglycerides form.
I just bought Nordic Naturals from Vitacost. I've been ordering all my fish oil from Amazon... probably not the best. Never considered that before.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I use the Costco Fish Oil. I keep it in the refrigerator to reduce fish oil burps.
on the old 1fast400 forums many, many years ago i used to talk with a guy who was high up at eli lily-- headquartered where i lived in indy---he told me to always put any kind of fish oil product in refrigerator after opening--and when 1st opening a new bottle to use a needle and put small hole in one and taste it to make sure it hadn't turned rancid...

i have followed this advice for a long time now.

J

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I've been using this brand for tha past 6 months. I use the EPA 500 product.

Definitely reduced my triglycerides by 20 points.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
on the old 1fast400 forums many, many years ago i used to talk with a guy who was high up at eli lily-- headquartered where i lived in indy---he told me to always put any kind of fish oil product in refrigerator after opening--and when 1st opening a new bottle to use a needle and put small hole in one and taste it to make sure it hadn't turned rancid...

Good call. How often have you found rancid product since then?

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

I used to travel to Indianapolis and negotiate with Lilly and Rolls-Royce (the aircraft engines, not cars). I remember two things about Indinapolis distinctly, (1) there was a beautiful minor league baseball stadium about a half mile from my hotel, and (2) St. Elmo Steak House (it was terrific).

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I used to travel to Indianapolis and negotiate with Lilly and Rolls-Royce (the aircraft engines, not cars). I remember two things about Indinapolis distinctly, (1) there was a beautiful minor league baseball stadium about a half mile from my hotel, and (2) St. Elmo Steak House (it was terrific).
St Elmo's was a favorite of the MNF crew going back a long ways-Al Michael's used to rave about it...ive been there around 7 times for special occasions-we used to really enjoy the New Orleans House for seafood but it's closed now...when my father in law was alive we had season tickets to the indian games, since he was a double amputee and in a wheelchair we got great seats in the handicapped area-haven't been to any games since art died but i agree it was very nice....when i go to downtown indy now i am amazed at how it has changed---but believe it or not the old and i mean old tittie bar the red garter is still there!!!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
St. Elmo Steak House
I'm from an indy suburb and I'm pretty sure St Elmo's Steak House is what 90% of people relate on about indy.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'm from an indy suburb and I'm pretty sure St Elmo's Steak House is what 90% of people relate on about indy.
i grew up close to the old brick city on raymond street- the 'projects'-we used to call it 'Brick City' you ever hear of it?

Last edited:
J

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
My step dad works for the aerospace department at Rolls Royce. Be funny if you guys met!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
i grew up close to the old brick city on raymond street- the 'projects'-we used to call it 'Brick City' you ever hear of it?
Haven't heard of the old brick city but have been on Raymond street numerous times.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
look it up...it got tore down awhile back.
the whole near downtown southside area from fountain square over to raymond street either has or is in the process of being renovated....it looks nothing like it did back in my day.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
the whole near downtown southside area from fountain square over to raymond street either has or is in the process of being renovated....it looks nothing like it did back in my day.
A lot has changed. Even driving south toward bloomington with interstate 69 being developed it looks like a completely different road and area.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Anybody look at or is concerned about peroxide and totox values of the fish oils you buy? I was never really been able to have this information from almost none of the brands.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Anybody look at or is concerned about peroxide and totox values of the fish oils you buy? I was never really been able to have this information from almost none of the brands.
no but I been looking at fish oil again and all the high epa refined Omega 3 supps seem really weird. there's a few that are USP certified like nature made, however you seem to no longer be getting wild caught fish oil. kinda leaning towards the salmon oils Costco has. Nordic naturals isn't USP, but it has some kinda thing where you can look up your bottle's inspection info

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
very interesting. so is krill the best oil?
definitely the most expensive..i was looking at a brand called KORI...i like to somewhat high dose epa/dha, so thinking about a combo of both fish oil and krill.

T

tenorguy33

Awards
  • First Up Vote
My favorites that have high levels of epa/dpa, are reasonably priced, and from companies I trust. Usually stock up when I see a good deal on one of them.

NOW Ultra Omega-3
-1000epa/500dpa in 2 softgels

Life Extension Clearly EPA-DPA
-750epa/500dpa in 2 softgels

Controlled Labs Oximega
-800epa/400dpa in 2 softgels

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Omega guard

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So I found out there are prescription EPA medications. Vascepa seems to be a common one. I'm not sure who would prescribe this to you. maybe a TRT clinic? I see it referenced for being effective with statins, so maybe high cholesterol? Seems really expensive too.

I'm just gonna mega dose nature made and kirkland krill oil. probably around 5 caps twice a day

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
OxiMega by CL
Take 4 caps a day and very affordable.
This meets 2-3g EPA/DHA daily
Plus you can shave the labels and use the rewards program for free products, shirts, apparel and gym bags.
This is what I do.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If I take fish oil right before a meal, no fish burps. If I take it right after a meal, I get fish burps.
with nature made fish oil I get no fish burps even with 5 caps at a time

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
watch this. the two best people you can hear about fish oil and EPA from, in the same room

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
So I found out there are prescription EPA medications. Vascepa seems to be a common one. I'm not sure who would prescribe this to you. maybe a TRT clinic? I see it referenced for being effective with statins, so maybe high cholesterol? Seems really expensive too.

I'm just gonna mega dose nature made and kirkland krill oil. probably around 5 caps twice a day
It's just another unecessary intrusion by Big Pharma. Watch - nest they will try to "legislate out" fish oil, because now they will claim that it acts like a drug (since they created one). We've heard that previosuly (Red Yeast Rice, P5P, etc.). The bastards.

For those of you who get fish burps, you might try keeping the capsules in the refrigerator - that solved it for me, and this solution is much less expensive that using enteric coated fish oil capsules.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It's just another unecessary intrusion by Big Pharma. Watch - nest they will try to "legislate out" fish oil, because now they will claim that it acts like a drug (since they created one). We've heard that previosuly (Red Yeast Rice, P5P, etc.). The bastards.

For those of you who get fish burps, you might try keeping the capsules in the refrigerator - that solved it for me, and this solution is much less expensive that using enteric coated fish oil capsules.
if big pharma wants to make preventative medicine like Omega 3 and EPA products that's great. I'm actually surprised it even exists. my dad had a stroke and was told to take a baby aspirin by a doctor. shouldn't these medicines be an option and insurance would cover it?

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
if big pharma wants to make preventative medicine like Omega 3 and EPA products that's great. I'm actually surprised it even exists. my dad had a stroke and was told to take a baby aspirin by a doctor. shouldn't these medicines be an option and insurance would cover it?
First, I am sorry your Dad had a stroke. Mine had a stroke, went into the hospital, and then had a brain stem stroke and died. So, I get the concern - I really do.

And although understand your position on Big Pharma - I have an "if/then" answer to your question. Here goes: In my opinion, Yes these medicines should be an option and insurance would cover it - provided that by doing so they would leave existing products and other options alone. And "No" - these medicines should not be an option if the intention is for Big Pharma to use the new drugs as justification to drive existing products off the market.

Its really, nothing more than a money grab. Do you wonder why Novavax hasn't been apporved yet? I don't.

An example: Compounding pharmacies - There are now attempting to eliminate compounding pharmacies via legislation. Why would they do this? What emergent issue does it solve? None, whatsoever. There is no rationally based reason, other than by eliminating compounding pharmacies more money would have to be redirected to the pockets of Big Pharma; a lot more money.

Lets use a real world example: On TRT you can purchase a month's worth of TD test cream from a compounding pharmacy for about $50/Mo. The compounded product is at least functionally equivalent (if not superior) to packaged Big Pharma product (AndroGel). Without being covered by insurance, a month's worth of 1.62% AndroGel is approximately $660.00 per month. So for substantially identical products, the compounded pharmacy product costs $50/Mo. while the Big Pharma product costs $660.00/Mo. That is a real world example.

Oh, but we can argue that AndroGel may be covered by insurance. That may be true, but only up to a certain point. Insurance is in the business of making money too, so it will only cover one bottle of AndroGel per month, an amount that may not be enough to raise T levels to the point that need to be. So, then what?

Well, compounded pharmacies do not charge like this - they can compound at a higher level (than 1.62%). Therefore, if two bottles of AndroGel was required, and insurance would not cover them, you could pay $50 for one container of compounded product, or $1,320 for two bottles of AndroGel. This is a REAL example.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Punkrocker Male Anti-Aging Medicine 8
A Supplements 37
CATdiesel76 Supplements 16
Dustin07 Supplements 22
GreenMachineX Supplements 19