Fish oil does not influence cognition in adults or elderly

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don't have access to the full article, so I'd be interested in getting ahold of it, but the abstract doesn't state that they used fish oils at all.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I don't have access to the full article, so I'd be interested in getting ahold of it, but the abstract doesn't state that they used fish oils at all.
I can email it to anyone interested.

You are right, I saw n3 and wrote fish oil for dramatic effect :D

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Makes me feel good about adding extra DHA supplement to my girls when they were infants.

PFM18

Awards
The quality of the fish oil plays an incredibly massive role. When the fish oil is found in nature it is in the triglyceride form, and most fish oils are processed into the ethyl esker form. Also Dha is essential for efficient dopamine production, but most fish oils are not only in the ethyl esker form but high in EPA and low in dha.

I know only because I tried just a normal label fish oil in the esker form and had tons of anxiety and slightly negative cognitive effects. Now I take a very high DHA fish oil in the ttriglyceride form before bed and I have no anxiety and improved focus the next day.

LEATHERFACE92

Banned
Awards
Most people use cheap fish oil in EE form, I use triglycerid form since almost 2 years, cost more but the effects are not the same

Reactions: mw1
Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
title is misleading, most of the research was done on various forms of oil that isn't fish.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think the ethyl ester vs. triglycerides thing is over-hyped. Most of the research I have seen has used EE forms anyway. I know this is going to upset some people and they will think I'm an idiot, but maybe I just haven't seen any real research that shows that triglyceride is truly more effective, and if it is - it should be 2-3X more effective since it generally costs 2-3X as much as the EE form.

This study is interesting...going to dig into it some more when I have the time.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think the ethyl ester vs. triglycerides thing is over-hyped. Most of the research I have seen has used EE forms anyway. I know this is going to upset some people and they will think I'm an idiot, but maybe I just haven't seen any real research that shows that triglyceride is truly more effective, and if it is - it should be 2-3X more effective since it generally costs 2-3X as much as the EE form.

This study is interesting...going to dig into it some more when I have the time.
It's likely not that much more effective but it's also not THAT much more expensive. However, with TG form, typically the quality overall is pretty much assured so there's no guesswork one needs to go through to figure out which brands are good to go or not.

I use FlameOut, it costs me like ~$30 per bottle, maybe less, forgot what I paid, but there's 44 servings in a bottle @ 1.5 grams of combine EPA + DHA in a 2.50:1.00 ratio (DHA:EPA). It's also highly concentrated (a 4 capsule serving is 4.625 grams total oil consiting of 2.2 grams of DHA 880 mg of EPA, CLA t10 and c12 @ 212 mg, CLA c9 and t11 @ 140 mg, the CLA is in there to further help with inflammation). I highly doubt anybody can look at that and claim it's exuberantly priced for what you get. The fish oil is also re-esterified to TG form.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Flameout is a good product. So is Nordic Naturals, and some others. No argument there.

I use Now DHA-500 or NOW Ultra Omega. Right now I am taking 6 DHA-500/day and that provides me with 3 grams of DHA and 1.5 grams of EPA. The Ultra Omega will give me the reverse of this at 6 pills - 3 grams EPA and 1.5 grams DHA. It costs me $20-25/month at 6 pills.

So, if you figure yours may be a little more bioavailable (say twice as good, which it may be), it would require a 50% increase in your dose to get the equivalent levels (2.25 grams in flamout that is twice as good as the 4.5 grams in NOW). That would be $45/month or almost twice the price. I'm using large doses, but the math will scale for any dose.

On the other hand, while it may be 100% more costly, we are talking $20-25 a month here which may not be a lot for many people and it may be worth going with the slightly superior product (if it is 100% more effective).

I don't really think you are wrong, btw, it's a great product and so are some of the other re-esterified/TG products, it's just a matter of cost/return for me and I am rolling the dice a little.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Flameout is a good product. So is Nordic Naturals, and some others. No argument there.

I use Now DHA-500 or NOW Ultra Omega. Right now I am taking 6 DHA-500/day and that provides me with 3 grams of DHA and 1.5 grams of EPA. The Ultra Omega will give me the reverse of this at 6 pills - 3 grams EPA and 1.5 grams DHA. It costs me $20-25/month at 6 pills.

So, if you figure yours may be a little more bioavailable (say twice as good, which it may be), it would require a 50% increase in your dose to get the equivalent levels (2.25 grams in flamout that is twice as good as the 4.5 grams in NOW). That would be $45/month or almost twice the price. I'm using large doses, but the math will scale for any dose.

On the other hand, while it may be 100% more costly, we are talking $20-25 a month here which may not be a lot for many people and it may be worth going with the slightly superior product (if it is 100% more effective).

I don't really think you are wrong, btw, it's a great product and so are some of the other re-esterified/TG products, it's just a matter of cost/return for me and I am rolling the dice a little.
Fair enough :) 50% more costly though if you want to get technical, since I guess it's like a $8 difference in price (IIRC, I think I paid like $28 per bottle, comes out a little bit cheaper than Nordic Naturals actually).

LEATHERFACE92

Banned
Awards
Quality supplements cost more, we all agree on this, but if you wanna use cheap chinese garbage, that's your choice

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Fair enough :) 50% more costly though if you want to get technical, since I guess it's like a $8 difference in price (IIRC, I think I paid like $28 per bottle, comes out a little bit cheaper than Nordic Naturals actually).
Yeah, maybe - I was using Nordic Naturals as my bench mark there. Flame out is a bit more reasonable it looks like. Nordic Naturals really just aren't cost justified, and I'm comparing one of the most potent/best priced non-TG oils to the TG oils....lower quality oils and the difference probably becomes more extreme. (edit: more extreme in your favor).

SuppWithThat

SuppWithThat

Awards
Given all the research that has been published regarding Fish Oil and cognitive health it looks like its only likely to be beneficial in individuals with initially low DHA/EPA levels. Fish Oil is often made out to be this magical, all-encompassing supplement that will improve every aspect of our lives...but in reality if you are getting sufficient amounts of DHA/EPA from your diet already, many of these benefits are less apparent.

Again, it all depends on diet. Many of us don't get enough DHA/EPA from our diets and could therefore benefit from Fish Oil supplementation in some way.