First Cycle, Should my ROUTINE change?

shainesboost

Awards
Generally, I have always done either a 3x a week Fullbody routine, or a typical 3x a week split ie: Chest/bis Legs/Shoulders Back/tris.

I had always been "natural" and I just liked having days off in between, for rest, and keep me motivated. Now, I will be starting a 12 week Test E cycle which is my first, and didnt know if my routine should be switched up with the faster recovery?

Any advise appreciated.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
^^^^yeah, that^^^^^

I would do either a push, pull, legs 3 day, an advanced 5x5, or a 5-day split, with dedicated days for back, chest, legs, shoulders, and arms/whatevers lacking.

You'll still need recovery days, but weights and reps should go up nicely. I prefer more reps/less weight just because its so much easier on the joints. Actually, advanced 5x5 and gear are not very joint friendly, but if you're young then go for it, LOL!!

shainesboost

Awards
^^^^yeah, that^^^^^

I would do either a push, pull, legs 3 day, an advanced 5x5, or a 5-day split, with dedicated days for back, chest, legs, shoulders, and arms/whatevers lacking.

You'll still need recovery days, but weights and reps should go up nicely. I prefer more reps/less weight just because its so much easier on the joints. Actually, advanced 5x5 and gear are not very joint friendly, but if you're young then go for it, LOL!!
Hmm, Im still lost on what to do! I just wanna get the most outta the cycle, I would hate to ruin a good cycle with a BAD routine. Ugh..

Anymore suggestions?

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
I'm in a similar spot and I'm lifting four days a week with each workout focusing on either squats, bench, deads, or shoulder press with a few complimentary lifts thrown in to make sure I don't miss anything. I also do 1-2 days of HIIT type cardio, depending on how I feel that day.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Well, for ease of use and the most popular routine that you simply can't go wrong with, I would say the Push/Pull/Legs....

Push is everything you can push with your upper body...bench, military presses, dips, tri. extensions, etc.

Pulls are mainly back....deads, rows, pull ups/downs, bi. curls.....I also do my front, lateral, and rear shoulder raises on this day, but I alternate and only do deads every other week....on cycle you should be able to do deads every week easy enough. I get pooped to soon.

Legs are just that. Start out with squats or leg press, then lunges, extensions, curls, calf raises, etc.

Also I should mention, you should start this (or any) routine BEFORE you start your cycle. Usually a change in routine will get you past a stuck point, so you can make a bit more natural gains. And this way you can get all your exercises in order so you can hit the gym and get busy, instead of standing around figuring out which exercise you wanna do.

IDK if this is good advice or not, but if you can go without a 2 day off break, then go for it, and just keep lifting every other day. You shouldn't need an extra day of rest probably til halfway thru PCT.

My last m-drol to p-plex bridge I was doing the 5x5 every other day instead of 3 days a week, and made crazy strength gains. It killed my shoulders, so now I just do 3 sets, 8-10 reps, which are rumored to be better for mass, anyway. (5x5 is mainly for strength).

CrazyBassGuy

Awards
Im natural - well, Im running my first Natabolic Stack as we speak - does that still count?

I do Push / Pull / Legs. Alternating between 3x12, 3x8, 5x5 and pyramid sets.

But im a beginner really (3-4 years lifting) so that what I do - not advice per-se. :)

Gd luck with ur cycle man

shainesboost

Awards
How do you alternate between those rep ranges? Everyother workout?

CrazyBassGuy

Awards
I try to do it in a cycle every other workout yeah.

Sometimes I would sub a 3x10/12 of a lighter weight in place of a 5x5 if I dont have a spot one day.

That way I can either stop at a comfortable 7/8, or I got slightly less weight to slide out from under :)

CrazyBassGuy

Awards
I only started doing this recently mind - the last few years every time I have had an "idea" for a workout, I have tried it for 4-6 weeks to see how I reponsd to different rep ranges, sets, exercises etc.

Everyone responds differently, but it is always good to mix things up a bit - you might find something that makes you blow up. (the test will probably help mind:))