first cycle, painful back pumps or injury during squat? heeelllppp

wgalczak

Awards
Keeping it short and sweet. 5 days into epistane cycle at 30mg right now. I was squatting today and by my 2nd working set (495x5) my back around my upper glutes/lower back are tight as hell and so painful I can't squat properly or do legpress or anything.

I immediately came home, ate a banana drank some water and took ibuprofen, it's subsided a bit butttttt... is this a typical explanation of back pumps? it hurts quite bad to do anything right now.

edit: wish ti wasn't too late to go out and buy some taurine... i'll probabloy do this tomorrow.

wgalczak

Awards
bumping this because i want answers... i took a hot shower and it relieved a bit. currently laying on a heating pad.

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Taurine can stave off the crazy pumps.

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LOL, yea that's a back pump bud.

Most important thing to do is drink lot's of water. 1-2 Gallons/day (1 at bare minimum), banana before you workout, and some Taurine.

wgalczak

Awards

Most important thing to do is drink lot's of water. 1-2 Gallons/day (1 at bare minimum), banana before you workout, and some Taurine.
It's some of the worst pain I've experienced. I recently broke my finger during football and i'm training through it. I've trained through a sprained ankle, tendonitis... this sht is seriously painful. I'm about to go to bed now and I feel relatively okay, but I'm going to stock up on taurine tomorrow.

i had to stop my squat workout :'(

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Are you sure it's a back pump? The back pump can get pretty sore and uncomfortable but it's not debilitating as you describe it. The way you're explaining it sounds more like a back spasm. I've been plagued by those since I started powerlifting over 13 years ago. I'm prescribed muscle relaxants for when it acts up. If the pain is still there after a day, it's not a back pump. And if it's not a pump, don't use heat, use ice and ibuprofen.

wgalczak

Awards
it does still hurt today, not AS bad, but touching my toes is basically impossible and it normally isn't. I JUST bought taurine and immediately took 5g

because I'm not a huge ***** I'm going to do shoulders/bis in a bit, probably going to skip power clean.

tuRkx

Awards
Get some taurine and calcium from vitamin shop and take it about an hour before your workout

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Taurine, gatorade, and lots of water like stated.....I get them from riding in the old 1991 freightliner at work for 10+ hours a day.....

Anyhow, I got them bad doing squats once and could barely make it upstairs, LOL....I workout in my basement.

control101

Awards

^^ This right here is what you need, I'd suggest at the least 3g of Taurine a day.

ironjat

ironjat

Awards
I have been there recently for me taurine and bananas are not doing much and I am drinking at least 2gallons of water a day. Give it a try though as many here say it works for them ( just not for me ).

It is pretty debilitating my quads are cramping like crazy as well and i cant move my legs as quicklywhen skating, i am also a week into PCT. Good luck man i feel your pain.

fightclub2012

fightclub2012

Awards
  • Established
and if the above suggestions dont help, back down on your dosage a little

wgalczak

Awards
update on this since it's surprisingly still on the first page:

first thanks for all the advice, I mega dosed taurine and have been drinking a ton of water. Lingering pain is still around I think I ended up getting back pumps and pinched/strained something in my back at the same time hence the serious pain. My back day was today and I held off and did something else, I'll do back tomorrow and will probably be fine. I'm surprised at how slowly my body is recovering from this it seems like I reaaaaallly hurt myself because even off cycle I'd recover faster than this from a tinge/strain in my back.

on a side note this back injury gave me an opportunity to do 3 chest/tri workouts in one week while on cycle and I'm up quite a bit of poundage on bench lol

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Are you sure it's a back pump? The back pump can get pretty sore and uncomfortable but it's not debilitating as you describe it. The way you're explaining it sounds more like a back spasm. I've been plagued by those since I started powerlifting over 13 years ago. I'm prescribed muscle relaxants for when it acts up. If the pain is still there after a day, it's not a back pump. And if it's not a pump, don't use heat, use ice and ibuprofen.
As I stated above, it's not a back pump. Everything you described is pointing to a back spasm, or like you said, maybe a strain. Ibuprofen and ice bro! It's not a back pump.

wgalczak

Awards
still not back to squatting over 3 plates. (Doesn't feel right/safe) and my back workouts are limited. I recently got a cold and after I had slept all day and then went to valentine's dinner my back was in searing pain throughout the whole dinner. I laid down across 2 chairs at a ~200$ dinner lol.....

Thinking about going to the doctor, no health insurance :(

Back still feels tense, but I'm able to do most back workouts/chest/shoulder all that without any trouble. Squats scare the fuk out of me now.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
still not back to squatting over 3 plates. (Doesn't feel right/safe) and my back workouts are limited. I recently got a cold and after I had slept all day and then went to valentine's dinner my back was in searing pain throughout the whole dinner. I laid down across 2 chairs at a ~200$ dinner lol.....

Thinking about going to the doctor, no health insurance :(

Back still feels tense, but I'm able to do most back workouts/chest/shoulder all that without any trouble. Squats scare the fuk out of me now.
If you can get your hands on some Skelaxin or Flexeril (muscle relaxants) it will do wonders for your back pain. So, are you finally convinced that it's not a back pump yet?! LOL

wgalczak

Awards
If you can get your hands on some Skelaxin or Flexeril (muscle relaxants) it will do wonders for your back pain. So, are you finally convinced that it's not a back pump yet?! LOL
I have a hard time believing a muscle spasm/strain has lasted this long. I'm partially convinced I messed up a disc or something :'(

Squats are the main exercise I can feel it and my back is always tense... I'm always have to force stretch it.

dueces138

dueces138

Awards
Muscle spasms are ruthless at times man. I get them in the middle of my back on one side, and if I cant get it to relax (be it medication or just a few days off the gym) then it can last a while. Do you have a local free clinic? Thats where I go for Flexeril, costs me around $40 for a script though.

youngguns555

Awards
Im going to go with this , it sounds like a back spasm. Unfortuneatly not much can be done just work through it til it goes away. And stay away from squatting small cars , jesus lol

fightclub2012

fightclub2012

Awards
  • Established
yup^^^^ Flex does work, but it'll knock you out for hours and when you wake up your totally out of it lol (at least I was)

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
yup^^^^ Flex does work, but it'll knock you out for hours and when you wake up your totally out of it lol (at least I was)
LOL that's one of the good things about it! I still like Skelaxin better though but my current dr scripts me Flex. So, I try to save whatever Skelax I have for the really bad times.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
I have a hard time believing a muscle spasm/strain has lasted this long. I'm partially convinced I messed up a disc or something :'(

Squats are the main exercise I can feel it and my back is always tense... I'm always have to force stretch it.
This is where there's a big misconception about spasms. And I was once guilty of it too. Back spasms aren't little pulsating pumps you get though your back. Spasms are absolutely debilitating at times, where you can't even sit on the toilet to shiz! You can't sneeze, cough, laugh, etc becuase the pain is so bad. Everything you've described would lead me to think it is a spasm. But, you'll never know unless you see a doc, so get it checked out.