Favorite Video Games of All Time

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
when it comes to shooters golden eye for the 64 is still the best I've ever played

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I recently got a new work pc that is pretty high end, whats some of the better current crop of pc games? I got the new deus ex, and am running it at 1920x1200 with all settings maxed out and its smooth (and pretty).

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I recently got a new work pc that is pretty high end, whats some of the better current crop of pc games? I got the new deus ex, and am running it at 1920x1200 with all settings maxed out and its smooth (and pretty).
Hey man join my PC Gaming group, I'm trying to get more pc gaming buddies lol. Anyway, Rage looks like it's going to be really good. If you havn't heard about it, it's being developed by Id the same people who make Doom and Quake, but it won't be out until next month. Also, Skyrim is coming out in November and that looks really good too. How is the Desus Ex game btw? I played the first two.
Rage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFE66chCZuA
Skyrim http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjqsYzBrP-M
Plus Prey 2 is coming out soon and that looks good too.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
What specs are you running just curious. IMO there hasn't been a real good PC game since Unreal Tournament 3, well portal 2 looks cool, but PC gaming has hit a rough patch the last few years, thanks to develop companies targeting teenagers who play xbox. I love PC gaming and all the advantages it has and that's why I like Id Software, Bethesda and Valve so much, because they care about their PC audience and give them mod tools, rather then being like Gearbox and 2K and not caring about their fans at all and not giving them any mod tools.

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
my one problem is now that i have a comp that can handle running the games. Not all of the older ones that i wanted to play seem to be able to run on it :( A big boo to EA on that count

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
its an i7 2600 with 12gb ram, a 1gb ATI 6700
Running an SSD or a mechanical? My data transfer rate is bringing down my entire system because I have a mechanical drive.

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
I am completely blanking on the game, maybe you guys know it off hand. It is a PC release, Typical Space Marine vs Evil Alien Race ala Halo. I think they were call Snogs or something to that effect. About half way through the game you get captured and turned into one of them. Can not for the life of me remember what it was called :)

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
Easy, that is about the same specs I am running. Want to say i upped it to 16g of RAM but it might only be 12g. 7200 rpm drive here. SSD would be great but that would have been really pricey:)

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I am completely blanking on the game, maybe you guys know it off hand. It is a PC release, Typical Space Marine vs Evil Alien Race ala Halo. I think they were call Snogs or something to that effect. About half way through the game you get captured and turned into one of them. Can not for the life of me remember what it was called :)
Quake 4

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
Thanks! now to see if it will run on Win 7 :) edit.. by the looks of it no no it will not. Oh well have to make due with Dead Island and maybe the new call to Duty :)

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Easy, that is about the same specs I am running. Want to say i upped it to 16g of RAM but it might only be 12g. 7200 rpm drive here. SSD would be great but that would have been really pricey:)
Damn you guys got some high end rigs lol. Mine is about 3 years old, but still runs most new games just fine. I'll probably buy a new one after I get out of college. Here's my specs if anyone is curious.
Motherboard: Asus P5N-D
Chipset: nvidia nforce 750i SLI SPP
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3000 Mhz
RAM: 4Gb DDR2 upgrading to 8Gb
VideoCard: Nvidia Geforce GTX 295
SoundCard: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Thanks! now to see if it will run on Win 7 :) edit.. by the looks of it no no it will not. Oh well have to make due with Dead Island and maybe the new call to Duty :)
You can't get Quake 4 to work you're saying? There has to be some patch or something to get it to work. I know the steam release version of the game works.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Running an SSD or a mechanical? My data transfer rate is bringing down my entire system because I have a mechanical drive.
mechanical, its a pair of Raid 1 7200 rpm drives. damn work machines and data security.

had i built it for myself, it would have probably had a 32gb ssd for system, a 128gb ssd for programs, and a 7200 drive for data

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
Before we got the desktop we were using an 06 dell laptop... you could barely run farmville on it.
So we went a little overboard (Dell XPS Studio 8100 pretty much maxed out) mainly becuase my parents offered to chip in. Nothing like Grand Parent guilt :) So now we have a comp that my wife, baby, and I can skype with them, while probably running jsut about anything i can think of in the background :)

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
You can't get Quake 4 to work you're saying? There has to be some patch or something to get it to work. I know the steam release version of the game works.
I will have to do some more digging. I just googled if it would work with win 7 and most of the answers were no. I will look into the stream release though. thanks!!

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Before we got the desktop we were using an 06 dell laptop... you could barely run farmville on it.
So we went a little overboard (Dell XPS Studio 8100 pretty much maxed out) mainly becuase my parents offered to chip in. Nothing like Grand Parent guilt :) So now we have a comp that my wife, baby, and I can skype with them, while probably running jsut about anything i can think of in the background :)
nice lol. I can't stand stock model PC, they're all a bunch of under powered pieces of junk lol.

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
Ain't that the truth. and nothing that they reccomend (in terms of the options) is the default choice.

If we were going to get one - it damn well be fully loaded. May that will buy an extra year or two before it is completely outdated :)

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Ain't that the truth. and nothing that they reccomend (in terms of the options) is the default choice.

If we were going to get one - it damn well be fully loaded. May that will buy an extra year or two before it is completely outdated :)
I'm trying to get some my friends into PC gaming and my buddy told me "I like the controllers, I'm not a big fan of FPS." *sigh* I just shook my head lol.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I wrote an article on this a long ways back. Effectively there are price points for components where thats the price range you should spend on those components. Performance vs price is always an exponential curve. there is a sweet spot, where 10% more $ gets you 10% more performance. But it rapidly reaches a point where it takes 100% more $ to make a 5% performance boost. When you put all the numbers together, you can buy a "sweet spot" pc every 18 months to 2 years, vs for the same total dollars buying the loaded model every 36-48 months for the same money. But the 2nd sweet spot pc outperforms the loaded PC. So overall at the earlier part of the cycle you have not too very different performance between the 2 pcs (as games aren't optimized for the new graphics chips, etc yet), but in the later part of the cycle you have better performance with the 2nd sweet spot pc. Comically, the $ amounts where the sweet spot happens hasn't changed in 20 years.

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
each their own i guess. Personally i hate driving games. :)

MK9

MK9

Awards
  • Established
Hey DerricVonD, (Or anyone for that matter)
Not sure if you ever got into the StarWars games, as I only played Knights of the Old republic, but I stumbled across it from the Skyrim link you provided. This one looks rally impressive graphics wise, storyline not sure but if its anything close to KOTR its a keeper!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0RuR3FREFw

On a side note, check out the judo throw at 1:24 SWEET!

MK9

MK9

Awards
  • Established
It's Battlezone 2, the alien race are called Scions, and you are captured BUT have the option to either stay with the humans, or join with the alien race. Unless there is another game with that story line, I am going with BZ II FTW!

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
all this cpu talk reminds me I need to upgrade at some point.but I'm waiting for bluerays to come down a bit more.

anyone pick up the new Madden 12??

Diabolik

Diabolik

Awards
  • Established
Super Mario 1,2,and 3
original Zelda, zelda for snes, and most importantly the Ocarina of Time, which may be the best game ever.
Excite bike
Goldeneye
original Tony Hawk pro skater
NBA Jam
Tecmo bowl
Sonic and Tails
Mike Tyson's punch out
Battletoads
Streets Of Rage
original Mortal Kombat
Super Street Fighter 2 turbo
Snowboard Kids
Aladdin for sega
Fable
Modern Warfare 1&2

Diabolik

Diabolik

Awards
  • Established
Super Mario 1,2,and 3
original Zelda, zelda for snes, and most importantly the Ocarina of Time, which may be the best game ever.
Excite bike
Goldeneye
NBA Jam
Tecmo bowl
Sonic and Tails
Mike Tyson's punch out
Battletoads
Streets Of Rage
original Mortal Kombat
Snowboard Kids
Aladdin for sega
Fable
Modern Warfare 1&2

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been on a business trip, and missing Crysis 2

Diabolik

Diabolik

Awards
  • Established
Dude I just moved from Hawaii to Texas and I've been without my PS3 since July. Stil waiting on our household goods. I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore gamer but I love me some COD. That and the fact that there isn't a damn thing to do in this small ass town, I'm missin' it pretty bad right now.

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I miss the days I could sit down and play madden for 4hours straight. :(

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
I wonder if I'm the only one that ever played these games, but anyone remember the Might and Magic series? I still remember combinining MM4 (Clouds of Xeen) and MM5 (Darkside of Xeen) to make World of Xeen, which was a completely different game all together! Oh, I miss those days where everything was easy (I was somewhere around 10 years old)!

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I remember just about all of these games.oh the good ole days :D

Edgewood92

Awards
Super smash bros
Perfect dark
The original Mario
I was addicted to these games.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If anyone plays HoN hit me up.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How is HoN? keep hearing mixed opinions.
HoN> LoL and DOTA. Its free to play now too so....why not?

Hardest game to learn and play. 5v5 all the time if one person sucks your team will most likely lose.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
HoN> LoL and DOTA. Its free to play now too so....why not?

Hardest game to learn and play. 5v5 all the time if one person sucks your team will most likely lose.
My younger brother was pro DOTA, and is now pro HoN. Kid devotes an insane amount of time to that game, ha.

Eberly

Banned
Awards
Thought I'd start a thread for all the gamers out there.games are not listed in any order.and........GO!!!!!!!!!!

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64

Street Fighter II Arcade

Mortal Kombat Arcade

John Madden Football Genesis

GTA III PS2 Gre

Final Fantasy VII PlayStation

Metal Gear Solid PlayStation

Streets of Rage Sega

Super Mario series

Donkey Kong Country Snes

Chronotrigger Snes

Guitar Hero

Gran Turismo

Sonic Series

Tekken Series

NBa Live series before they got lazy

NFL Game Day 98
Great list .Are you play all of them as a expert?

Eberly

Banned
Awards
Super Mario 1,2,and 3
Excite bike
Goldeneye
NBA Jam
Tecmo bowl
Sonic and Tails
Mike Tyson's punch out
Battletoads
Streets Of Rage
original Mortal Kombat
Snowboard Kids
Aladdin for sega
Fable
Modern Warfare 1&2
hay friend ,i need
"Modern Warfare 1&2
NBA Jam
Battletoads " of those games.But I have not manege it.How can i manage it?Can you help me for getting this games.