Fatigue in new diet

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Started a new diet, went good for about two weeks, now i have no energy. This is about the only thing that changed. I'll throw in the diet and Split as usual. But i seriously need some help on this cause i don't have energy to lift anymore.

I work a later shift and i'm up later than the norm, so bear with my schedule.

9:30 - Up and Shake 1 scoops whey, 1/2 cup oats, 1 egg
10 - Cardio - 1200 mg Fish oil Multi,
11:30 - 3 full eggs fried w/ no fat Pam and Old Bay seasoning
3:00 - 1 Can tuna w/ mustard - lipo 6
5:00 - Chicken breast (1st break)
7:30 - My lunch Chicken and 1/2 cup brown Rice or 1 cup cottage cheese - 1200mg fish oil
9:00 - Protien shake - 2 scoops whey 50g protein and 18g carbs
10:00 lift -
11- cottage cheese 1 cup

All day long i drink water and lipton diet green tea which is no change for almost two years. I have to drink about 1.5 gallons per day of liquids cause i have diabete's insipidus.

Split:
Day 1: Arms - Abs - Cardio
Day 2: Back / Shoulders -- Abs - Cardio
Day 3: Chest -Cardio
Day 4: Legs - Shorter cardio

Usually 2 days lifting and 1 day off then 2 Days again.

Any tweaks or help would be awesome. I'm annoyed that my progress is shot, and i was doing good.

Thanks Guys!

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
One of the worst things about dieting, imo. There are a few options: one is to go the stim route at least pre-wo only. You can also increase your carbs slowly until the lethargy subsides but this is not ideal, imo.

I remember Dsade saying something about this kind of lethargy being caused by depletion of liver glycogen (more-or-less stored sugar). he recommended eating a little fructose; a piece of fruit would be good. If you don't want to add any more carbs you can try sipping on BCAAs throughout the day as these can be used for glycolosis (i.e. converted into glucose). I follow CKD and this has helped keep my energy levels up when I cut calories and scale back the refeeds.

Speaking of refeeding, perhaps a leptin refeed (low-fat carb loading of simple sugars) every other week or even every week depending on how low your bodyfat is could help too. If you have been dieting for awhile, your body tries to get into homeostasis by slowing your metabolism. The refeed helps rev it back up tricking your body into thinking its back in a fed state. Not sure as to the best protocol for this last option; it depends on your body. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
Started a new diet, went good for about two weeks, now i have no energy. This is about the only thing that changed. I'll throw in the diet and Split as usual. But i seriously need some help on this cause i don't have energy to lift anymore.

I work a later shift and i'm up later than the norm, so bear with my schedule.

9:30 - Up and Shake 1 scoops whey, 1/2 cup oats, 1 egg
10 - Cardio - 1200 mg Fish oil Multi,
11:30 - 3 full eggs fried w/ no fat Pam and Old Bay seasoning
3:00 - 1 Can tuna w/ mustard - lipo 6
5:00 - Chicken breast (1st break)
7:30 - My lunch Chicken and 1/2 cup brown Rice or 1 cup cottage cheese - 1200mg fish oil
9:00 - Protien shake - 2 scoops whey 50g protein and 18g carbs
10:00 lift -
11- cottage cheese 1 cup

All day long i drink water and lipton diet green tea which is no change for almost two years. I have to drink about 1.5 gallons per day of liquids cause i have diabete's insipidus.

Split:
Day 1: Arms - Abs - Cardio
Day 2: Back / Shoulders -- Abs - Cardio
Day 3: Chest -Cardio
Day 4: Legs - Shorter cardio

Usually 2 days lifting and 1 day off then 2 Days again.

Any tweaks or help would be awesome. I'm annoyed that my progress is shot, and i was doing good.

Thanks Guys!
you do realize you're only taking in about 40 grams of carbs right, not counting the carbs in your protein and veggie sources....

you're probably feeling the effects of keto, etc. if you want to do keto, stay in it and when you make the switch to running on ketones you may feel better?

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
I forgot to mention, sorry.

I do have cheat days roughly once every two weeks, maybe once a week. Like pizza or wings, taco bell, arbys, pancheros, chiptole. The good stuff.

I had a feeling I was low on carbs... still relatively new to this.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I also calculated around 17-1800 cals total on the generous side. What was you calorie intake before you started this? If you made a drastic decrease at one time, you are "crashing" from not enough total calories. You could probably get by with raising them back up and drop them slower over more time. You should lower them in about 200 cal increments only when stop losing about 1-2lbs a week at most. That way you preserve as much muscle as possible. How much weight if any have you lost since you started?

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Calorie intake was about the same, but i just changed up what i was eating and when to lower carbs. I'm pretty sure the lack of carbs was the ticket, cause i'm fine after a carb load. Just managed to catch strep whilst i was crashing. YAY!

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Yea if you are 190lbs and taking in under 2500 cal then it will be difficult to find energy to do anything. Plus consider the fact that you are burning around 500-600 cal during your workouts. You should be shooting for at least 3000 to have sufficient energy to lift 4 days a week . Load up on low GI carbs in the morning and towards the end of the day you wont really feel a need for more.

Im not sure what specific goal you are trying to achieve, whether it is to lose weight or not. Ive always felt great after a massive breakfast; oats flax whites eggs and a **** ton of pure grapefruit/orange juice (sugary but early in the AM is ok). But in your case if you are trying to trim up it would make sense to at least load up on carbs a little bit in the morning, or tone down your workouts.