dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sorry, but what does that mean? ??
It means that after taking KetoInduce before bed, and being in ketosis in the morning, the tester went for Fasted Cardio to see if drawing on glycogen stores would screw with his ketosis at all.

KetoStick indicates that after fasted cardio he is still in ketosis - meaning this is going to be the ideal protocol for someone wanting to rapidly lean out (contest, upcoming cruise, High School Reunion, doing nude cam sessions for beer money, etc.)

macwad

Awards
  • Established
It means that after taking KetoInduce before bed, and being in ketosis in the morning, the tester went for Fasted Cardio to see if drawing on glycogen stores would screw with his ketosis at all.

KetoStick indicates that after fasted cardio he is still in ketosis - meaning this is going to be the ideal protocol for someone wanting to rapidly lean out (contest, upcoming cruise, High School Reunion, doing nude cam sessions for beer money, etc.)
Got it.
But it wouldnt keep in ketosis in HIIT, right?

Scoons33

Scoons33

Awards
  • Established
What about a lifting session too? Where can i get keto stick to test it out?
You can get them at any drug store. Walgreens has their own brand but I hear Bayer's brand is more accurate.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Got it.
But it wouldnt keep in ketosis in HIIT, right?
We just had him at medium intensity this morning. There's some conflicting info about HIIT and someone already in ketosis, but it's not likely to throw you out of it.

Now lifting under ketosis is not something I've looked at in the slightest. It's just never occurred to me to have an inferior workout by not having proper preworkout nutrition. Someone's going to have to conduct this experiment themselves, and maybe share the results.

KetoSticks can be purchased online or at places like Walgreens/CVS.

YoungBodyBuil

Banned
Awards
Incoming stack- Brite, Epitome, Defuse, Slintensity, KI, Eviscerate the utimate version forgot what its called, and some cardarine. When will cardiotryx be restocked? Never got the chance to try it but everyone raves about it... like most evomuse products..

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Incoming stack- Brite, Epitome, Defuse, Slintensity, KI, Eviscerate the utimate version forgot what its called, and some cardarine. When will cardiotryx be restocked? Never got the chance to try it but everyone raves about it... like most evomuse products..
CardioTryx will be here probably tomorrow or Monday. VERY limited stock.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
We just had him at medium intensity this morning. There's some conflicting info about HIIT and someone already in ketosis, but it's not likely to throw you out of it.

Now lifting under ketosis is not something I've looked at in the slightest. It's just never occurred to me to have an inferior workout by not having proper preworkout nutrition. Someone's going to have to conduct this experiment themselves, and maybe share the results.

KetoSticks can be purchased online or at places like Walgreens/CVS.
That will be me... In ketosis lifting. But I recall checking over the summer and my sticks did not show ketosis.. So there's that.

Depasi

Depasi

Board Sponsor
Awards
Alright, ketosis experts, fill me in here. I don't really do ketogenic diets or cyclic ketogenic stuff mostly because I'm a carb fiend (and handle them very, very well). It seems like by the time most people generally hit ketosis, they're carb depleted/low on glycogen. If this knocks us into ketosis even if we're just eating carbs like normal, what will the results be in regards to workout performance, etc?
Contrary to what you would think, research shows that keto-adapted people don't have "depleted" glycogen stores. Diminished, and less than full, yes, but not super low. In keto-adaption, muscle glycogen is spared during exercise in favor of fatty acids and ketones, but the body doesn't have any reason to completely wipe out the stores.

During workouts, your body can use glucose (from muscle glycogen, or ingested carbs) concurrently with ketones and fatty acids.

Yes, I mainly wonder because ketosis means we're using fatty acids as energy, so what will happen to the carbs that are in our system already, assuming we don't knock ourselves out of ketosis while we workout in the morning. Hmm.
I think what your asking, is, will muscle glycogen breakdown during exercise, from stored carbs, kick you out of ketosis? And no, if you wake up in a state of nutritional ketosis (at/over 0.5mmol/L BOHB on a blood test, or anything purple-ish on a pee test), and start working out, you will be farther into ketosis by the time you're done. As far as liver glycogen being broken down to supply glucose (it takes about 28 hours to deplete liver glycogen), this isn't really an issue if you're in nutritional ketosis, as your body has enough alternative substrate available so that it doesn't need to dump glucose into the bloodstream for energy.

Important point about KetoInduce vs. a Ketogenic diet: In the initial stage of a ketogenic diet, the muscles will use ketone bodies as fuel, whereas after one is keto-adapted (typically around the 2 week mark of a keto diet), ketones are more reserved as brain fuel while the muscles will prefer fatty acids. So with a normal diet + KetoInduce, the muscles will still be using ketones as fuel (in addition to fatty acids).

I didn't really think about it until just a little while ago, but my diet during the week is pretty strange. I wake up at 5 AM, drink some aminos and take my morning supps (Rx for levothyroxine, huperzine-A, 500mg agmatine), then take my pre-workout as I'm getting ready to drive into the gym. Finish around 7ish or so and drink a whey isolate shake for meal 1. At work hit meal 2 around 10:30 or so and it's many times another whey shake (if not isolate, then something like Select with minimal carbs) if I'm not snacking on some protein bars because I need to physically feel the chew lol. I don't take a work at lunch so I can duck out earlier, so that's why I do this -- plus it allows me to backload my macros/cals for the day a bit and eat a more flexible dinner with the wife.

Anyway, I tend to eat another meal around 2:30 or 3 and surprise surprise, it's often more of the same. So until I get home and eat (be it a small meal/snack first and then a bigger dinner closer to 7, or just one meal in between -- depends on the day), if I'm not eating protein bars at work, I generally don't get any carbs until that 5PM-8PM window.

So this should allow me to really test out the ketosis effects and I may even have a day or two in there where I skip carbs in my dinner to see what I can notice.

Come weekends, my diet doesn't go off the rails, but obviously it's not like my work week. But this could potentially allow me to make a lot of progress during those 5 days and sort of focus more on a recomp or slight surplus on Sat/Sun.

Cannot wait to try this out.
Remember its not just the absence of carbs that is key to ketosis, but also the high fat intake. So if you have hardly any carbs all day, but your protein is still like 50%+ of your calories, you're not going to get the effect you want. As long as you keep fat high enough (at LEAST 70%), its worth trying out. Otherwise might as well do a PSMF.

I'm wondering a similar question. How will fasted performance on ketosis be vs. fasted and carb depleted.

If I want to stay in ketosis when working out, I'd imagine something like an avocado would be the a good quick snack?
Not exactly sure what you mean here...but if you're talking pre-workout, an avocado, being a whole food packed with fiber, wouldn't be as beneficial as an MCT oil or Keto8 (liquid caprylic acid).

Well my main question is, if your body normally relies on glycogen that is stored for power/strength, and ketosis a status of the body that means it is using fatty acids as energy, which will be utilized during your workout if you didn't break the ketosis but still had a bunch of carbs the night before?
As I mentioned previously, if you're in nutritional ketosis the morning before the workout, doesn't matter if you still have muscle glycogen stores left, your body will use glycogen, ketones, and fatty acids. Whereas previously it was going to be a way higher percentage of glycogen.

So if I'm in ketosis from KI and workout fasted in the AM, will I burn more fat which would make this super solid for a cut?

Also, is there the typical lethargy and such that generally accompanies transitioning to ketosis?
Yes, you will utilize more fat, as your RQ will be lower, so your body will be able to do more work before requiring glucose as a primary substrate. And no, you will not experience lethargy as some do when transitioning to ketosis. The proper comparison would be, how would you normally feel, waking up and doing a fasted workout, without KetoInduce? That is your baseline. Waking up fasted and doing a workout after taking KetoInduce the night before, you will feel and perform better.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thank you very much for answering my question. Getting ready to set up a diet/training plan to take advantage of ketoinduce solo in the future. I'll unofficially log it either somewhere here or in the log forum.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So, I will perform better in keto than not? And, assuming I'm in ketosis and use ketones, will consuming MCT oil PWO be the same as carbs PWO?
Since I'll be carb depleted, will the excess fat give me the energy needed to perform at a better level?

I think you already answered but wanted to clarify. Depasi

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Major reps for that post, Depasi

Took me a little time to read it over slowly and let it all soak in, but it was very enlightening and you wrote it in such a way that I could make sense of it.

I just get more and more excited for this!

Depasi

Depasi

Board Sponsor
Awards
Woody, when comparing a fasted workout in a non-ketogenic state vs. a fasted workout in a ketogenic state, you will likely perform better in the ketogenic state. In a non-ketogenic state, the body is looking for glucose, RQ is higher, fuel is low, the body is enzymatically inefficient (comparitively speaking) at utilizing fats for fuel, etc.

Yes, consuming MCT oil pre-workout, in a ketogenic state, will feel similar to carbs as far as performance.

The fat from MCTs will give you a readily available fuel, as well as trigger an increase in ketone production for an additional fuel source. You will likely also notice enhanced focus/mental clarity with the additional ketones created from the MCTs.

Depasi

Depasi

Board Sponsor
Awards
MidwestBeast

Thanks mayn.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Woody, when comparing a fasted workout in a non-ketogenic state vs. a fasted workout in a ketogenic state, you will likely perform better in the ketogenic state. In a non-ketogenic state, the body is looking for glucose, RQ is higher, fuel is low, the body is enzymatically inefficient (comparitively speaking) at utilizing fats for fuel, etc.

Yes, consuming MCT oil pre-workout, in a ketogenic state, will feel similar to carbs as far as performance.

The fat from MCTs will give you a readily available fuel, as well as trigger an increase in ketone production for an additional fuel source. You will likely also notice enhanced focus/mental clarity with the additional ketones created from the MCTs.
Thank you for even more clarification. One last question....will I suffer from "keto flu" symptoms being knocked into ketosis via KI?

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

One last thing, I think.

If I'm on a surplus but consume high fat PWO/Pre KI, will I still reap the benefits of fat loss?

Anyway suggestions maximize this on a surplus?
I'd like to gain size and strength still but drop a bit of body fat over a 6-8 week period... I will probably be using ArA and OL Triumph, or BMP/MYOE

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
One last thing, I think.

If I'm on a surplus but consume high fat PWO/Pre KI, will I still reap the benefits of fat loss?

Anyway suggestions maximize this on a surplus?
I'd like to gain size and strength still but drop a bit of body fat over a 6-8 week period... I will probably be using ArA and OL Triumph, or BMP/MYOE
Unless there is something I'm missing, caloric surplus will still halt drop in weight. Perhaps more recomp effect, but it would otherwise be using fat as a fuel source but still getting more fuel than required and thus not burning it all off.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Seems if you're bulking, KI is still great and will probably provide the ideal lean bulk/recomp.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Weight isn't an issue. BF is more what I'm looking to drop, but I'm not ready to cut hah

Depasi

Depasi

Board Sponsor
Awards
Thank you for even more clarification. One last question....will I suffer from "keto flu" symptoms being knocked into ketosis via KI?
Absolutely not. "Keto Flu" is something that happens to people, rarely, when they are in the midst of the 1-3 week keto-adaption process, and typically only happens when the protocol is sub-optimally designed. Of all the people I've coached into ketosis, I've yet to have a single person experience this, because the diet is properly designed to eliminate potential deficiencies. Point being, keto flu is overstated, and almost always preventable.

That being said, those who do experience keto flu, are dealing with some problems along the path of switching the body to a new metabolic state, some of the cogs in the machine didn't get greased, or the person just has slow enzymatic adjustments that delay the adaption phase. This has absolutely nothing to do with ketone bodies themselves causing flu-like symptoms, which I think is what you were asking. With KetoInduce, you're forcing your body into an acute stage of ketosis, so the potential problems with a multi-week adaption phase to get the body in constant nutritional ketosis do not apply.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Contrary to what you would think, research shows that keto-adapted people don't have "depleted" glycogen stores. Diminished, and less than full, yes, but not super low. In keto-adaption, muscle glycogen is spared during exercise in favor of fatty acids and ketones, but the body doesn't have any reason to completely wipe out the stores.

During workouts, your body can use glucose (from muscle glycogen, or ingested carbs) concurrently with ketones and fatty acids.

I think what your asking, is, will muscle glycogen breakdown during exercise, from stored carbs, kick you out of ketosis? And no, if you wake up in a state of nutritional ketosis (at/over 0.5mmol/L BOHB on a blood test, or anything purple-ish on a pee test), and start working out, you will be farther into ketosis by the time you're done. As far as liver glycogen being broken down to supply glucose (it takes about 28 hours to deplete liver glycogen), this isn't really an issue if you're in nutritional ketosis, as your body has enough alternative substrate available so that it doesn't need to dump glucose into the bloodstream for energy.

Important point about KetoInduce vs. a Ketogenic diet: In the initial stage of a ketogenic diet, the muscles will use ketone bodies as fuel, whereas after one is keto-adapted (typically around the 2 week mark of a keto diet), ketones are more reserved as brain fuel while the muscles will prefer fatty acids. So with a normal diet + KetoInduce, the muscles will still be using ketones as fuel (in addition to fatty acids).

Remember its not just the absence of carbs that is key to ketosis, but also the high fat intake. So if you have hardly any carbs all day, but your protein is still like 50%+ of your calories, you're not going to get the effect you want. As long as you keep fat high enough (at LEAST 70%), its worth trying out. Otherwise might as well do a PSMF.

Not exactly sure what you mean here...but if you're talking pre-workout, an avocado, being a whole food packed with fiber, wouldn't be as beneficial as an MCT oil or Keto8 (liquid caprylic acid).

As I mentioned previously, if you're in nutritional ketosis the morning before the workout, doesn't matter if you still have muscle glycogen stores left, your body will use glycogen, ketones, and fatty acids. Whereas previously it was going to be a way higher percentage of glycogen.

Yes, you will utilize more fat, as your RQ will be lower, so your body will be able to do more work before requiring glucose as a primary substrate. And no, you will not experience lethargy as some do when transitioning to ketosis. The proper comparison would be, how would you normally feel, waking up and doing a fasted workout, without KetoInduce? That is your baseline. Waking up fasted and doing a workout after taking KetoInduce the night before, you will feel and perform better.
70% fat?! So if I'm using keto to cut, and I'm cutting at 1800 cal, I should be consuming 140g fat and only 135g protein.. At a body weight of 160-165... You wouldn't fear catabolism. Further more I love protein and would go nuts eating that little amount of meat!

Depasi

Depasi

Board Sponsor
Awards
70% fat?! So if I'm using keto to cut, and I'm cutting at 1800 cal, I should be consuming 140g fat and only 135g protein.. At a body weight of 160-165... You wouldn't fear catabolism. Further more I love protein and would go nuts eating that little amount of meat!
Ketosis is extremely anti-catabolic. See research on preventing muscle wasting during injury or bedrest. Leucine oxidation drops super low. One way to think of it, in completely non-scientific terms, strictly for the purpose of mindset, is that every gram of protein you eat when you're in ketosis is way more anabolic. When you're not in ketosis, leucine oxidation is so much higher.

I feel you, before I went into uninterrupted ketosis about 4 years ago, I used to eat about 350-400g protein per day. Now I eat about 140g and can gain muscle just as easily. And I weigh around 200lbs.

CJNator

Awards
bighulksmash definitely get this to help u out with cutting man!

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ketosis is extremely anti-catabolic. See research on preventing muscle wasting during injury or bedrest. Leucine oxidation drops super low. One way to think of it, in completely non-scientific terms, strictly for the purpose of mindset, is that every gram of protein you eat when you're in ketosis is way more anabolic. When you're not in ketosis, leucine oxidation is so much higher.

I feel you, before I went into uninterrupted ketosis about 4 years ago, I used to eat about 350-400g protein per day. Now I eat about 140g and can gain muscle just as easily. And I weigh around 200lbs.
This is awesome.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Would it be effective to take KetoInduce earlier in the day, such as in the afternoon, to put yourself into a state of ketosis sooner?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Would it be effective to take KetoInduce earlier in the day, such as in the afternoon, to put yourself into a state of ketosis sooner?
My understanding is as long as it's dosed away from carbs, it'll do that. So let's say you're done with carbs at 4 PM, take at 5-5:30 and reap the extra hours of benefits pre-bed until you eat carbs to come out.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If that works I would certainly prefer that approach, perhaps taking it one hour after my dinner. I try to taper down my water consumption in the evening so as not to interfere with sleep, as I really don't care for having to get up mid-sleep to use the washroom.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Two words: Adult Diapers

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Two words: Adult Diapers

My 2 year old daughter still wears diapers when she does to bed, perhaps I can somehow string a series of those together to create an adult diaper!

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Great post. I'll look into it more and definitely willing to try it... Best sources of fat for this? I'm a fan of coconut oil/mct... But I'm assuming I wouldn't want the bulk to Come from that.. Maybe 30-40% of total fat from those types?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Great post. I'll look into it more and definitely willing to try it... Best sources of fat for this? I'm a fan of coconut oil/mct... But I'm assuming I wouldn't want the bulk to Come from that.. Maybe 30-40% of total fat from those types?
MCT Evolved is 70% MCT oil.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
KI is powdered correct? How does it taste? I have to add flavor enhancer to Metabolic Rebirth to choke it down. Is this similar?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Slightly salty, but the orange flavor covers it well.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Slightly salty, but the orange flavor covers it well.
Perfect, ordering today. I still have 2 brites and a MR left. Should be great stack. Just maybe need more Epitome.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Perfect, ordering today. I still have 2 brites and a MR left. Should be great stack. Just maybe need more Epitome.
Epitome/ammo will be up here I'm about 10 minutes.

kdubson14

Awards
  • Established
Will there be a write up for this? Wondering how it differs from the current methods for exogenous ketone administration used in research

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Will there be a write up for this? Wondering how it differs from the current methods for exogenous ketone administration used in research
Yes, it's almost done.

Depasi

Depasi

Board Sponsor
Awards
That's a bit much. A good starting point for fat breakdown on a keto diet is about 50% Saturated, 40% Mono, 10% Poly. On a 2,000 calorie keto diet, that would put you at around 55g of MCT/Coconut Oil per day, which is bordering on enough to make you **** your pants. I wouldn't go over about 30g/day, get the rest of your saturated fat from other sources.

Depasi

Depasi

Board Sponsor
Awards
Yes, it's almost done.
Finishing this up as we speak, meant to have it out a few days ago. Went down too many research rabbit holes...

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Finishing this up as we speak, meant to have it out a few days ago. Went down too many research rabbit holes...
Yeah, I threw Vanillean at you which has that complicated mechanism of FTO suppression and the can of worms that comes along with it.

BTW, if anyone needs help designing a diet around KetoInduce usage let me know and I will buy a block of time from Marc, throw a discount in, and hook you guys up.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, I threw Vanillean at you which has that complicated mechanism of FTO suppression and the can of worms that comes along with it.

BTW, if anyone needs help designing a diet around KetoInduce usage let me know and I will buy a block of time from Marc, throw a discount in, and hook you guys up.
I think this would help out a lot of people! My general idea is just to use it for ketosis every day and hope I lose more fat during sleep, but it would be great to see diet plans!

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think this would help out a lot of people! My general idea is just to use it for ketosis every day and hope I lose more fat during sleep, but it would be great to see diet plans!
If there is one thing that Marc knows better than bestiality, it's diets. He's one of the foremost in the country.