Awards
  • Established
"Essential"
by Evan "Ox" Centopani

es-sen-tial
adj.
constituting or being part of the essence of something; inherent
basic or indispensable; necessary
being a substance that is required for normal functioning but cannot be synthesized by the body and therefore must be included in the diet.

There you have it... A textbook definition of what it means for something to be essential. I didn’t make this up; this isn’t my definition. Nor was I the one to identify specific fatty acids and amino acids as being essential. I make the assumption that you were paying attention in your high school biology lecture and picked up on the notion that there are essential amino acids and essential fatty acids. Accordingly, that would mean that there are specific fatty acids and amino acids that we would be required to consume because our bodies are unable to synthesize them on its own.

If you’re even somewhat serious about gaining muscle, improving performance, dropping bodyfat, or whatever may be required in order for you to reach your physique oriented goal, I’m sure you have already firmly grasped the concept of protein supplementation. I’ve talked to people who say they are eating 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. For a 200 pound man that’s four hundred grams per day. Damn, even I don’t take in that much.

The point is, people have embraced the idea that adequate and proper protein intake is necessary for muscle repair and growth. Taking a look around, between the abundance of quality animal proteins, protein powders and amino supplements, I doubt anyone is in danger of not fulfilling their essential amino acid requirements.

On the same note, you would be hard pressed to find someone who thought it was okay to skip the carbohydrates. C’mon, you know you’ve always been told how important carbohydrate intake is for fueling your body with the energy it needs to function properly, perform at optimal levels and train with maximum intensity. Wait a second. What did you say? Oh yeah, you’re right.

Technically there is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate or sugar. That’s true, only amino acids and fatty acids are essential for life. But hey, people still eat plenty of them anyways. Aside from the fact that the practically obsolete food guide pyramid suggests that you make carbohydrates the foundation of your diet and get the majority of your calories from them, many people still believe that carbohydrates should serve as the basis of a solid diet.

Alright alright, I’m not here to talk about whether or not carbohydrate intake is necessary or to talk about ketosis dieting or anything like that. I am simply illustrating the fact that people take in plenty of carbohydrates even thought they are not even essential for proper human nutrition. And people have had an easy time accepting the fact that essential amino acids exist and protein intake must be optimal in order for you to be at your best.

So what about fat? Fat. Such a dirty word. I don’t know when it started but in my twenty-five years on this Earth I have always heard a low fat diet being advocated by the masses. I was always told to stay away from fat. Fat makes you fat. Sounds logical right? It’s almost as if you’re going to eat some fat and it is going to enter into your body and immediately attach itself to your abdomen or your ass or your thighs. Damn… I hate when that happens.

Let me ask you this--if fat is what makes you fat and you can have your pick of everything from lowfat cheese to lowfat peanut butter (seemingly a contradiction of the very nature of these foods) then why the **** is everyone so damn fat?! You’ve seen it yourself. People have gotten and continue to get fatter and fatter and fatter. Interesting huh? You’re damn right it is. It’s interesting because it makes no ****ing sense and people continue to do it.

What do I propose? Well I think people should take a look at the fact that there are essential amino acids and essential fatty acids and make them the foundation of their diet. If you had a question about World War II and referred to an encyclopedia for your answer I assume you would trust the information you found and accept it as truth. I encourage you to pick up any reference book and read about essential fats. An encyclopedia will tell you how you must have them in your diet, how crucial they are in order for you to function properly and all the positive effects of consuming your essential fatty acids.

So why are people so resistant to incorporating fats in their diet? Because they’ve had it beaten into their brains that fat is bad for you and that fat makes you fat. Fat does not make you fat. Not eating fat makes you fat. That’s right, you heard me. Not taking in any one vitamin, mineral, and or macronutrient puts you at the risk of seriously ****ing up your metabolism. That’s because you need vitamins, minerals, water, and the proper macronutrients to look and feel your best. Neglect any one of them and how could you expect to function at an optimal level? You can’t. And if your metabolism is not functioning at 100% because you’re depriving it of something that is essential, such as fats, then you will get fat. C’mon, it’s not rocket science; it’s just common sense.

Personally speaking, I can tell you of the marked improvements I’ve seen in my physique after incorporating essential fatty acids in proper amounts into my diet just over two years ago. I had always tried to follow a low fat diet and coincidentally (or perhaps it is no coincidence at all), I had always been overweight. Even after losing over 70 pounds in high school I still did not have a low bodyfat percentage; I was not lean.

The first five or six years of my bodybuilding career I just ate to grow and thought that being fat was just part of the process and I accepted that. It wasn’t until I dieted for my first national level show, the 2006 NPC Junior Nationals, that I learned how important essential fats were for supporting both fat loss and muscle preservation. And ever since that show, I have never gotten fat in the offseason.

Compared to how I used to get and how I see a lot of other guys get in the offseason, I stay fairly lean and feel great. I can’t help but think it’s because I make essential fatty acids and essential amino acids the foundation of my diet. I grow easier and stay leaner in the offseason. And pre-contest, I keep more muscle size and strength and lose fat easier. But more importantly, whether I’m dieting or trying to gain lean mass, I feel better than I ever have. I do not have cravings, my moods are very steady, I sleep well, my muscles are fuller, my strength is up, and I do not experience sudden hunger followed by lethargy.

I’d like to share with you the essential fatty acid regimen I followed over the past two years when I won the overall at the 2006 NPC Junior Nationals and the overall at the 2007 NPC Nationals where I earned my IFBB pro card. As many of you know, I'm a bodybuilder who takes nutrition very seriously. Here it is:

• 1,000 mg fish oil x 3 times daily
• 1,300 mg evening primrose oil x 3 times daily
• 1,000 mg flax seed oil x 2 times daily
• 1,000 mg conjugated linoleic acid x 3 times daily

Now keep in mind that I’m an elite bodybuilder and this is what works for me based on trial and error. For you, you’d need to scale back your intake and tailor it to your specific needs. But as you can see, it is a fairly straightforward regime. I get fats from both fish and vegetable sources to make for a complete and comprehensive approach.

I take fish oils because it is rich in the omega-3 fatty acids EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). EPA and DHA are important for mental health, neurological development, regulating inflammation, and sharpening insulin sensitivity. Increasing insulin sensitivity is especially important because the more sensitive you are to your insulin, the less your body will need to produce. Less insulin production means less fat storage, better blood lipid profiles, and a healthier heart. Furthermore, fish-based sources of omega-3 fatty acids are very easy for the body to assimilate and use.

From vegetable sorces, I include some flaxseed oil because it contains the omega-3 fatty acid ALA (alpha-linolenic acid) which can be used by your body to produce EPA and DHA. While some may argue that it first needs to be converted to EPA and DHA, I feel that it is always a good idea to have a variety and to cover every angle. Besides, EFA supplementation isn’t just about EPA and DHA. You want a wide range of fatty acids in your diet.

I also supplement with evening primrose oil in order to get sufficient amounts of GLA (gamma-linolenic acid) which is vital in order for the body to produce prostaglandins. Prostagalandins are hormones which are necessary for growth, mood regulation, and immune system function. And I round out my supplementation with CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) which, although it is not an essential fatty acid, has been shown to help keep bodyfat in check. For this purpose, I’m also thinking about adding sesamin in the future.

So there you have it. For a long time, I was buying four different products to fulfill my essential fatty acid needs. Once I heard that Animal was coming out with their own EFA product, Animal Omega, you better believe I was very interested to see what the new product had to offer. Why? Because I’ve seen a lot of fatty acid supplements which give you a lot of one cheap ingredients and not much of the good stuff. I’ve seen many that are made for the average health nut. But I will say that I was impressed when I was first shown the profile for Animal Omega.

The first thing I noticed was that Animal Omega is a very comprehensive, all-in-one product. If I were to supplement with Animal Omega I would be getting all of the fatty acids that I got with my regimine plus more. Like I mentioned earlier about taking in ALA in order to cover myself even though I was getting a good amount of EPA and DHA, Animal Omega did the same giving you some flax oil plus fish oil from a wide variety of species.

The same was done with the omega-6 fatty acids, which are also essential. Borage oil and primrose oil which are both high in GLA were included but so was some safflower oil because it supplies LA (linoleic acid) which is the raw building block for GLA and is a good source of CLA. All the bases are covered. On top of the essential fatty acids, sesamin has been added for their positive effect on bodyfat and overall health. And to make the whole thing go down, lipase enzyme and lecithin were added. Honestly, I’ll be trading in all my current bottles for a single can of Animal Omega. I know I’m going to like the formula and the convenience.

atrain11b

atrain11b

Awards
  • Established
The article that got me researching EFAs and eventually lead to my purchase of Omega. All the essentials in one little Pak.

Great Article, and Great Product!!

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
The article that got me researching EFAs and eventually lead to my purchase of Omega. All the essentials in one little Pak.

Great Article, and Great Product!!
Yeah, Ox knows his stuff.

If anyone has an EFA question for Ox or any other question for that matter, feel free to ask him. He's down to earth and a really cool guy: Ox's Stable - the F O R V M

AaronTech

Awards
Ox is the man when it comes to this stuff. EFA's are great, which is why Omega is such an awesome supplement.

(You guys should make a product called "Alpha" and could promote both supplements as the Alpha & Omega stack [everything you need]. That would be pretty sick)

blah3d

Awards
I heard CLA you can loss weight with but you need to take a metric ton. I don't know I'll look for the article.

-----

My daily work out at the beach

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
Ox is the man when it comes to this stuff. EFA's are great, which is why Omega is such an awesome supplement.

(You guys should make a product called "Alpha" and could promote both supplements as the Alpha & Omega stack [everything you need]. That would be pretty sick)
Ox is a devout EFA user. I believe he uses two packs of Animal Omega per day.

Big Wides

Big Wides

Awards
Great article there.....when I was using Omega for a couple of months I did 2 packs a day, couldnt get over the great results I had with it. Helped me get over that 250 hump and stay there making it my new baseline weight. Its a great product and EFAs help in many different aspects of everything.

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
Great article there.....when I was using Omega for a couple of months I did 2 packs a day, couldnt get over the great results I had with it. Helped me get over that 250 hump and stay there making it my new baseline weight. Its a great product and EFAs help in many different aspects of everything.
One pack a day is all I do..