Egg Prices

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You know what .... I have NO IDEA what you're hoping to prove here ... But I LITERALLY don't give a sh*t about this entire conversation.
It doesn't even matter. Waste of time. It has nothing to do with my original comment.
So .... Happy Googling!!!!
You took time to quote someone to tell them to wrong then provided incorrect information. I just find it helpful when as a community we don't go around parroting misinformation, especially when addressing someone else's question.

It's all good though. (y)

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You took time to quote someone to tell them to wrong then provided incorrect information. I just find it helpful when as a community we don't go around parroting misinformation, especially when addressing someone else's question.

It's all good though. (y)
No ... Apparently you Don't.
Because HE took the time to (incorrectly) tell me I was wrong in insinuating that our Governor has some say-so in egg prices ... Yet you never asked him for a source.
And his comment came Before mine.

BTW, He Was incorrect in insinuating that our Governor has no control over Florida egg prices. (regardless of our own egg production).
FACT CHECK:. Our State in Not a huge producer of oil.... Yet our Governor recently Proved that he has a great deal of control over Florida's oil prices.

Now, if we could Stop Derailing this thread, that would be nice.

FACT Check: True.

WesleyInman

WesleyInman

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Alright chicken lovers, ill have to find some pics of my ole coop. At one point we had 77 hens. We were getting 4-6 dozen eggs a day. Actually ended up selling to local baker's and mom n pop restaurants.

It was cool for a while, but we got out of it. Tons of time, that we just don't have to devote to that anymore.

Started out you know when your kids want a new puppy and they take care of it for the first 3 days and then you know what happens after that......
You reminded me of a story from 1992.

When I was a teen we rented a beach house in Rhode Island every year.

My best friend went w me and we would go there the docks ,dive in and steal all the lobsters out of the traps.. we then would ride our bikes to the local restaurants and sell them.

So on vacation at like 14, I literally had like $3-400 cash.

My parents were so confused. We spent it all on candy, baseball cards and fireworks.

It was easy peasy work.

Now I read, it's a felony to steal out of a lobster trap.

We also ate some of them.

I was high rolling at 14 years old.

Wearing a penny hardaway Jersey, wearing Jordan 12s, eating lobster tail, and blowing up the neighborhood w black cats

Come see me 😂😂😂😂

Last edited:
Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think when making claims like this showing sources might be something this board could use more of.

Edit: Only commenting because I just wouldn't think of Florida as a place with tons of chickens (idk why). Then saw this then a cursory google search doesn't show this to be the case. In case anyone is as boring as I am and actually wanted to look up egg production.
Ok, you SAY that sources should be shown for claims .... Yet almost All of your own claims on this site Don't Show Sources.
Good for me, but you are exempt for some reason.
Zero integrity.

Cool Story.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ok, you SAY that sources should be shown for claims .... Yet almost All of your own claims on this site Don't Show Sources.
Good for me, but you are exempt for some reason.
Zero integrity.

Cool Story.
Sorry guys I didn't mean to convolute this thread. I apologize for letting it spill back into here, if OP wants me to delete my posts that is cool.

Rebel1978

Awards
  • Established
I recently purchased a flat of 5 dozen eggs at Costco. I believe it was about $12, IIRC.

Edit - I just checked, it was about $13.50. So, about $0.225 per egg.
Can confirm, just went this AM and 5 dozen sits at 12.99 at my local Costco, which they have went up some, seems like it was 10 bucks for a long time. I'm sure they aren't the highest quality around, but for the price I'm sure they are good.

Falco1098

Falco1098

Awards
  • First Up Vote
$4-5 for 12 eggs in western NY .. which i think is alot lol

can u freeze them ? ive never done it .. but wonder what happens to them if you just throw em in freezer and take em out a day before.
I wouldn't freeze, but they really dont go bad in the refrigerator. They can get a little dehydrated but then just add a splash of water. I have had them easily a month or 2 past expiration.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I wouldn't freeze, but they really dont go bad in the refrigerator. They can get a little dehydrated but then just add a splash of water. I have had them easily a month or 2 past expiration.
Me too.
I use the "float test". If they float, I throw them out.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
all in all, i’d say they take up less than an hour of my time weekly and i have 16 happy, healthy birds. it’s far less work than people make it seem.
That's good feedback. I might have to re-analyze this scenario :LOL:

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My daughter is a farmer and sells cage free, free roaming eggs before covid they were $2 a dozen, now $3.

Gandalfthegreg

Gandalfthegreg

Awards
I actually have about 8 ducks instead of chickens and I prefer the duck eggs over chicken eggs. They’re a little bit larger and the yolk is slightly richer. Nice orange color.

dickmidnight

Awards
I actually have about 8 ducks instead of chickens and I prefer the duck eggs over chicken eggs. They’re a little bit larger and the yolk is slightly richer. Nice orange color.
duck eggs are great, but ducks are a much more labor intensive set up, unless you have a pond or lake on your property. plus they’re dirty AF

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ya I buy duck eggs from time to time. First time it was a surprise how much there was cracking that egg open. :)

dickmidnight

Awards
That's good feedback. I might have to re-analyze this scenario :LOL:
chickens were my wife’s idea when we moved to a larger property. i was hesitant at first, but now i love it. we like to travel, and i wouldn’t still have chickens if they were a hindrance on my life at all. if it was free eggs vs not being able to go on a spontaneous weekend trip, those birds would all be sold or butchered.

this morning after breakfast i brought a big bowl of table scraps down to their run, tossed them in, opened the door to their big “free range” enclosure and grabbed a dozen eggs. might have taken me 3 minutes.

My daughter is a farmer and sells cage free, free roaming eggs before covid they were $2 a dozen, now $3.
we sell off excess eggs to our neighbors for $4/dozen.

mostly we eat them all ourselves, but there are times where we find ourselves with a lot left over.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Plain store brand eggs were 2.49 a dozen at Aldi last night and the organic were 3.49

Gandalfthegreg

Gandalfthegreg

Awards
duck eggs are great, but ducks are a much more labor intensive set up, unless you have a pond or lake on your property. plus they’re dirty AF
I have a little hard plastic kiddie pool that I buried in the ground in their enclosure and it works great for me 🤷🏻‍♂️ but yes they do shed a lot more feathers than chickens. Luckily for me I’m on a large ranch so my ducks can wander pretty much everywhere when I let them out.

One nice thing I noticed about ducks over chickens is that chickens love to scratch up my garden and make a mess with that. My ducks don’t scratch and less of an issue with them tearing up my garden. I have a big Anatolian/Pyrenees cross guardian dog that hangs around my property as well so don’t ever have to worry about predators having a duck dinner while they’re free ranging.

I would agree that chickens are easier though and in most peoples situations a better fit for their needs.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Did you like the taste?
I think I like chicken eggs more but I’ve also been eating chicken eggs for so long it’s maybe just weird if something that looks so similar tastes a bit different?

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think I like chicken eggs more but I’ve also been eating chicken eggs for so long it’s maybe just weird if something that looks so similar tastes a bit different?
I'm sure I've tried them, but it's been so long, I can't remember how they taste. Like I mentioned above, I've eaten chicken eggs from my own chickens before, and I enjoyed those.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I used to know a lady with an emu farm, but I never got to try an egg.

dickmidnight

Awards
I have a little hard plastic kiddie pool that I buried in the ground in their enclosure and it works great for me 🤷🏻‍♂️ but yes they do shed a lot more feathers than chickens. Luckily for me I’m on a large ranch so my ducks can wander pretty much everywhere when I let them out.

One nice thing I noticed about ducks over chickens is that chickens love to scratch up my garden and make a mess with that. My ducks don’t scratch and less of an issue with them tearing up my garden. I have a big Anatolian/Pyrenees cross guardian dog that hangs around my property as well so don’t ever have to worry about predators having a duck dinner while they’re free ranging.

I would agree that chickens are easier though and in most peoples situations a better fit for their needs.
chickens will scratch and dig everywhere. that’s definitely true. you either need to keep them in where you want them, or out of where you don’t want them.

mine have a 20x8 fully predator-proof run, and then a 60x60ish fenced in pen in a wooded area of my yard that i let them into most days.

they don’t have any access to my lawn or my wife’s garden.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Eggs around $4-5aud which is like $3usd. That's free range blah blah

I guess we finally get something cheaper than America!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Did you like the taste?
Someone else in the fitness industry does duck eggs. I think it might be Mike O'Hearn maybe..

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Excuse me while I go make an omelet ..........

faipdeooiad

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Eggs are going up again. That’ll surprise a few chickens.

(currently £2 for 12 large free range eggs. Not much more if you want organic. Duck eggs are a little more expensive but they’re only an occasional treat for me).