Doctors and PED's..a clarification rant

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
So there is a bit of a misunderstanding about the purpose of a doctor and steroids. I see this a lot on this and other forums. So I want to set the record straight.

The purpose of medical school/residency is to train and educate individuals to treat pathological diseases, syndromes, genetic disorders, etc. Going to the doctor to advise you on how to enhance your physique to super human levels is like looking for a high quality sushi at KFC, your barking up the wrong tree.

The purpose of being a doctor is to take care of the sick and dying, not to enhance the healthy to individual preference.

People don't go into medical school to learn how to help people run faster and get bigger, or maintain 7% bodyfat year round. That's not the purpose of a doctor. The doctor is there when you tear a pec under the bar, your aging father gets pneumonia, to operate on a strangulated hernia becoming ischemic, monitor the insulin requirements of a diabetic, deal a septic patient who is in shock…and the list goes on. I hope you notice a trend. Doctors treat pathology.

Furthermore, unless the regulations and classification of steroids changes, a doctor can get into serious trouble, and lose his license if he is telling his patients to take an substance like anadrol, with known toxicity to the liver(as well as cause hypertension, dyslipidemia, and a suppressed HPTA), not to treat a disease but to gain some size.

In other words, the doctor would be prescribing something that is doing harm, when one of the tenants of being a physician is Do No Harm(even if the patient is willing to pay the price for scondary gain). So basically they would be prescribing a controlled substance for the sake of recreational use...this is across the board illegal, unethical and a doctor will lose their license. Let me repeat, it is considered unethical to do so as a doctor

Testosterone, clomid, nolva, etc etc are used when there is a pathological conditions that the disease outweighs the side effects. If a patient is already healthy, with no disease, prescribing a drug that induces pathology goes against the purpose of being a doctor. Now, remember, I am talking about the purpose of medicine, not the examples we all know of the doctor who gives the 19yo HRT...or the doctor that prescribe 1000mg of test a week to the professional so and so. These are two difference conversations.

Now the reason why doctors prescribe toxic drugs with known side effects is because the disease is worse then the medications side effects. We all know this well, steroids have side effects(some mild, and some not so mild), and the purpose of these forums is to educate people to avoid many of the side effects, but at the end of the day, we all know there is a cost.

The purpose of these forums is not to treat diseases, but to take the normal and elevate it to supraphysiological levels despite the side effects at time.

A doctor can't advise a healthy, young man, to supress his HPTA, inducing what is known as secondary hypogonadism, for the purpose of athletic enhancement. That’s the opposite of what medicine is about (which is treat pathology, not induce it).

This is why the medical community does not receive training on how to safely use PEDs, because at the end of the day PEDs are meant to enhance not to treat pathology.

And the whole idea of “consult with your doctor before starting….” that's to remove liability, not an honest suggestion. Doctors are not training on the timing of leucine supplementation, or how rotating your macro’s affects your physique. They are learning about the dynamics of physiology in the healthy vs the sick. I mean...they will be lucky of they get a few hours of diet lectures, however they will be in the context of maintaining health or the effects of long term dietary abuse.

This doesn't mean there are NO doctors that know how to use PEDs, or how to diet properly, but this is the minorit. And I would be willing to wager this knowledge was gained AFTER residency, through personal research/experience, or a mix of both. It is possible to understand normal physiology so well, they may have suggestion on how to maximize certain aspect...but again, most doctors are concerned with your A1c, is that heart murmur suggestive of congestive heart failure, whether that broken bone needs surgical intervention....etc etc.

I hope this clarifies the misnomer of the stupid doctor that doesnt know about lifting protocols, or isnt up to date on the current research on mk667, or how stupid they are because they refuse prescribing some test even though such and such pubmed article says xyz.

nosnmiveins

nosnmiveins

Awards
  • Established
Exactly, doctors don't know sh!t...duh!

Jk

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Im impressed you read through my rant this quickly lol. Usually posts that long, people read the first 2 sentences and the last 2....the ambitious ones read a paragraph lol

nosnmiveins

nosnmiveins

Awards
  • Established
Im impressed you read through my rant this quickly lol. Usually posts that long, people read the first 2 sentences and the last 2....the ambitious ones read a paragraph lol
I'm a reader lol. If sentences can't be formed and punctuations aren't used...Best believe I'll skip right over that haha

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I mean they know a little bit for sure, because there are various condions like aids that require peds to keep the person healthy and alive, but in general they don't know **** all about the bodybuilding world and the use of peds for enhancing appearance because that's not their job.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm a reader lol. If sentences can't be formed and punctuations aren't used...Best believe I'll skip right over that haha
Then forgive my grammar...and typos....im pretty sure there are a few. I didnt really check my work :sad:

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I mean they know a little bit for sure, because there are various condions like aids that require peds to keep the person healthy and alive, but in general they don't know **** all about the bodybuilding world and the use of peds for enhancing appearance because that's not their job.

No, bodybuilding, powerlifting, crossfit, boxing, wrestling, judo, etc etc etc. Now....if you get messed up as a result of any of those...or some over zealous lifter feels the need to cycle msten, m1a and trest for a year str8 then Im pretty sure a doctor is what you need lol.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
No, bodybuilding, powerlifting, crossfit, boxing, wrestling, judo, etc etc etc. Now....if you get messed up as a result of any of those...or some over zealous lifter feels the need to cycle msten, m1a and trest for a year str8 then Im pretty sure a doctor is what you need lol.
Someone did that they need a psychiatrist not a doctor lol. They are ****ed in the head if they think that's aight rofl.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Someone did that they need a psychiatrist not a doctor lol. They are ****ed in the head if they think that's aight rofl.
A psychiatrist is a doctor fyi :banana:

mike33511

Awards
  • Established
I read the whole thing. You're obviously correct in everything you're saying, but I must be out of the loop because I can't recall seeing people say the things you mention in your final paragraph.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I read the whole thing. You're obviously correct in everything you're saying, but I must be out of the loop because I can't recall seeing people say the things you mention in your final paragraph.

The last paragraph are just two examples Ive come across, not exclusively on this board, but in general. I didnt mean to use them in reference to specific posts, but rather as examples.

So another example you ask a doctor before starting a new lifting protocol...Hey Dr. I want to do 5/3/1 with additional burn out sets on a 4 day split, is this a good idea? Doctor will have NO clue what your talking about lol(unless they are lifters themselves).

GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
I agree, of course. If someone thinks that a doc should know how to run anadrol then he is stupid. Probem is when people have hormonal imbalances and live a life of inferior quality due to them and docs cant figure out what its going on.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It amuses me to no end when you have people with only high school educations ridiculing a doctor's knowledge of steroids on these forums. Epic facepalm.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It amuses me to no end when you have people with only high school educations ridiculing a doctor's knowledge of steroids on these forums. Epic facepalm.
I do think that if a doctor is uneducated on the simple basics of hormone therapy and just the overall basics of hormones altogether, they should not have graduated from med school. Lol atleast have the knowledge to know someone needs referred to an endocrinologist based off their lab work.

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Very true! Why listen to a doctor when you can listen to an "expert" on an online forum...makes no sense. Most are just looking for validation for what they wanna do.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I do think that if a doctor is uneducated on the simple basics of hormone therapy and just the overall basics of hormones altogether, they should not have graduated from med school. Lol atleast have the knowledge to know someone needs referred to an endocrinologist based off their lab work.
No doctor passes their boards if they are "uneducated" on basic hormone physiology.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
No doctor passes their boards if they are "uneducated" on basic hormone physiology.

Oh so everyone doctor that neglects hormonal issues knows they are doing so and just chooses to leave it untreated?

That's even worse than just not knowing, I'd say.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Oh so everyone doctor that neglects hormonal issues knows they are doing so and just chooses to leave it untreated?

That's even worse than just not knowing, I'd say.
Lets dissect this.

You said "uneducated". Standard medical edcuation covers HPTA, steroids, and hormone deficiencies of all sorts. These are tested on Step 1 and Step 2. Just because a doctor does not think of low T as the cause of weight gain...does not mean he is being negligent. Just because a doctor didnt order a Test panel because the patient is feeling depressed doesnt mean he is being negligent. Erectile dysfunction sure fire symptom of low testosterone? If you think that, you are absolutely wrong. Many times ED is stress related, or a scary one doctors want to rule out is a sign of coronary artery disease. Just because the doctor has 100s of things he wants to rule out before he thinks of low test, doesnt mean he/she is being negligent.

Let's also add into the equation low testosterone is many times asymptomatic....meaning the man never knows he is low. Furthermore, true primary deficiencies in testosterone are far more rare then you would think. Being on the lower end of normal is not considered a deficiency, its considered normal. Their is a spectrum of health. And just because you arent in the middle or the top of the spectrum, does not mean you should be treated.

Your assumption that if a doctor does not pick up on a deficiency in testosterone, he/she was uneducated about this. This is simply untrue. You fail to recognize low testosterone is not a life threatening illness (a majority of the time, especially in the post puberty male). In men, low testosterone is more of a quality of life issue(unless you are having difficulty conceiving).

It also appears you assume that the doctor hasnt seem the same constellation of symptoms 1000's of times and T levels where normal, however something else nonhormonal was the problem.

So, you sit here on the almighty keyboard, having no clue what it's like to even get into medical school, let alone sit infront of a sick patient looking for an answer. Because if you did sit in a medical school classroom, within the first year of education you would have a different outlook. You, are so focused on one aspect of medicine, one aspect of physiology, you are blind to the overwhelming amount of information that encompasses just becoming a doctor, let alone becoming board certified.

Negligence is an act or omission (failure to act) by a medical professional that deviates from the accepted medical standard of care. So, unless you know what the standard of care is(which is what you learn in medical school and residency), I would advise against saying a doctor is being negligent just because he didn't run the tests you wanted him to run(or think of low T when the standard of care is to rule out other more serious illnesses).