Do you want to see SNS offer a protein? Tell us what you want.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I have never tried any weight gainers (I have that part figured out lol ) also don’t think any MRP. Protein powder once in a great while.
The reason I just don’t know what half the stuff on the label is? I wish I understood ingredients more but I don’t sadly, some of the companies with all the marketing claims I feel like is a gimmick to spend good money on something that’s not.
I agree. I think that's the case with supplements in general. That's why I generally always try to be very thorough in our write ups and explain the ingredients to people in terminology that's easy to understand.

And if we do a protein, it will be the same way - explaining the type we use and why we use it in easy to understand terminology.

I think some companies or company owners get off on trying to use fancy words and explain things in ways that are over people's heads - and a lot of customers just eat it up and look at stuff like that and think - wow, they must be so smart. To each their own, but to me, I'd rather explain things to people in a way that it makes sense to them and they understand it.

Protein wise - we're looking to keep it simple - a top quality whey protein isolate and a top quality whey protein isolate and micellar casein blend.

If we do a protein and carb combination product, I'm looking to keep that simple too. A lot of the fancy wording in these is to use fancy wording in place of sugar and useless carbs, whereas I would want to use quality complex carbs - oats, brown rice, sweet potatoes. The idea behind this is that I just want something I could drink myself without having to stop every couple hours to eat something; and I think, or at least hope that there are others that would feel the same and that it would be a convenient alternative to them and help them be more consistent with their diets.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I agree. I think that's the case with supplements in general. That's why I generally always try to be very thorough in our write ups and explain the ingredients to people in terminology that's easy to understand.

And if we do a protein, it will be the same way - explaining the type we use and why we use it in easy to understand terminology.

I think some companies or company owners get off on trying to use fancy words and explain things in ways that are over people's heads - and a lot of customers just eat it up and look at stuff like that and think - wow, they must be so smart. To each their own, but to me, I'd rather explain things to people in a way that it makes sense to them and they understand it.

Protein wise - we're looking to keep it simple - a top quality whey protein isolate and a top quality whey protein isolate and micellar casein blend.

If we do a protein and carb combination product, I'm looking to keep that simple too. A lot of the fancy wording in these is to use fancy wording in place of sugar and useless carbs, whereas I would want to use quality complex carbs - oats, brown rice, sweet potatoes. The idea behind this is that I just want something I could drink myself without having to stop every couple hours to eat something; and I think, or at least hope that there are others that would feel the same and that it would be a convenient alternative to them and help them be more consistent with their diets.
That’s why I think a lot of people will be excited to see you release a protein!

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
That’s why I think a lot of people will be excited to see you release a protein!
It's ironic that we were just having the conversation about explaining things and helping make sure that people understand them and it just came to my attention within the last 2 hours that another company here, one of two that have done this before, is complaining again because I'm too helpful to people and spend too much time answering questions on here.

Same company that decided within the last couple of weeks to offer free product to a few people that really liked some of our products in exchange for them to stop saying positive things about any of our products.

It's sad that rather than trying to help people themselves or actually contributing anything to the forums outside of spam pimping their own products, that they would rather do things like that.

Stuff like that, and people rewarding it, is the type of thing that makes it discouraging to continue to post here on AM as much.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Trutein is a good product and great option for people that like thick and filling shakes.

I love their Shamrock shake when it’s available and they have some other great flavors.

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It's ironic that we were just having the conversation about explaining things and helping make sure that people understand them and it just came to my attention within the last 2 hours that another company here, one of two that have done this before, is complaining again because I'm too helpful to people and spend too much time answering questions on here.

Same company that decided within the last couple of weeks to offer free product to a few people that really liked some of our products in exchange for them to stop saying positive things about any of our products.

It's sad that rather than trying to help people themselves or actually contributing anything to the forums outside of spam pimping their own products, that they would rather do things like that.

Stuff like that, and people rewarding it, is the type of thing that makes it discouraging to continue to post here on AM as much.
Wth, that sounds like a real scummy way of doing buisness. I can understand that it upsets you, hell it upsets me!

baldwanus

baldwanus

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
is complaining again because I'm too helpful to people and spend too much time answering questions on here.
When I popped back on here a couple years back after quite a long time away forums/supps in general, I was glad to see you were one of the few still here posting and answering questions. I look forward to your product write-ups even when I don't necessarily plan on using the product lol.

I remember being a rep. It's not 'hard' to get on a forum and answer questions, but it's certainly time consuming. And the fact that you're willing to take that time with us consumers shows you actually give a ****, which is why I'm more than happy to keep using stuff from you guys, including a protein if it ever comes to fruition.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Didn't read the other answers so far, but personal opinion would be:
Majority WPC blend, to keep cost low. Honestly this helps you on manufacturing I'm sure, moving product for cost conscious, and is in line with what SNS already offers - quality/variety, but at always good pricing.
Flavors to start with: Chocolate, Vanilla, Cookies & Cream (like the gluten free cookie option), and some type of Cinnamon flavor. To me the first 3 are basic/must haves and will appeal to most. Fourth just makes for a good option outside of the "traditional" that I know would be easy enough to flavor well, given I've had many good cinnamon/cinnamon roll/bun flavors over the years.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don't think that there's a huge market for it, but I would hope it would be enough of one to where we could justify doing one in a few flavors.

I know it would be super convenient for me versus having to stop and eat brown rice or oatmeal every couple hours.

I don't see hardly any carb to proteins in that ratio - it seems to go protein powder, mrp's with lower carb, and then jump to weight gainers for the most part. And most weight gainers don't use quality carbs, they are just loaded up on sugar and maltodextrin.
Agreed honestly just got tired of having to blend oats or something similar in the past. When busy an all in one with quality sources would be appreciated.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Didn't read the other answers so far, but personal opinion would be:
Majority WPC blend, to keep cost low. Honestly this helps you on manufacturing I'm sure, moving product for cost conscious, and is in line with what SNS already offers - quality/variety, but at always good pricing.
Flavors to start with: Chocolate, Vanilla, Cookies & Cream (like the gluten free cookie option), and some type of Cinnamon flavor. To me the first 3 are basic/must haves and will appeal to most. Fourth just makes for a good option outside of the "traditional" that I know would be easy enough to flavor well, given I've had many good cinnamon/cinnamon roll/bun flavors over the years.
Thank you for the suggestion.

We may do a WPC blend at some point, but the plan is going to be to start with a quality Whey Protein Isolate because we want to offer a top quality, great tasting protein at a cost effective price. It may cost a few dollars more than WPC, but the quality and taste I think will be well worth it.

And honestly, if all a customer is looking at is buying the cheapest protein, we can't compete for that anyway bc there are so many products out there that don't meet label claims that of course are going to be cheaper anyway. Plus, companies like ON already dominate that side of the market.

Thank you for the flavor suggestions. I agree and think those are good starter options. I love the idea of a gluten free Cookies & Cream and I love Cinnamon Roll flavors. The gluten free C&C probably wouldn't be one of the first flavors though but that's because that's actually probably going to take quite a bit of work on the flavor side in trying to get the flavor perfect with gluten free cookie pieces.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Agreed honestly just got tired of having to blend oats or something similar in the past. When busy an all in one with quality sources would be appreciated.
I'm the same way. I'm not even doing high carb, just moderate carb right now and I almost always miss at least 1 serving per day or come in lower than I want to be on my complex carb intake because of not fooling with adding in oats or stopping to eat another cup of brown rice or oats.

That's what got me really thinking about this - bc I don't miss my protein intake bc its just simple to make a shake, so having an option with the right types of quality complex carbs already included seems like it would be a great option.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
When I popped back on here a couple years back after quite a long time away forums/supps in general, I was glad to see you were one of the few still here posting and answering questions. I look forward to your product write-ups even when I don't necessarily plan on using the product lol.

I remember being a rep. It's not 'hard' to get on a forum and answer questions, but it's certainly time consuming. And the fact that you're willing to take that time with us consumers shows you actually give a ****, which is why I'm more than happy to keep using stuff from you guys, including a protein if it ever comes to fruition.
Thank you. I really appreciate that.

I enjoy helping people and I love supplements; and to me, that's what the companies are about - helping people reach their health and fitness goals and improve their quality of life through supplements.

I like to interact with people and write things and present things in a way that makes it easy to understand for the average person.

Getting on here is definitely time consuming, but I'm glad to do it as long as its appreciated. I try to help out in any thread that I can, whether it has anything to do with our products or not. And I try to be thorough and detailed and really help people, rather than just popping in threads and spam pimping products or only showing up here when we release new products. I try to be respectful of other companies and not say negative things about other companies - while still finding a balance and discussing things that are important like trying to educate people on different things about industry issues, quality testing, the importance of microbial and heavy metals testing, etc. I'm aware that that makes some brands mad, but honestly if they take that personal and get mad at me about talking about things that are there to help protect consumer health, then that's more of a reflection of the way they do things and their own priorities than a reflection on me.

I have never been one to care what types of products other brands make because I prefer to focus on what we do and to try to offer top quality products at great prices. There are often many things that I wish I could point out or feel conflicted about that I really wish I could let people know - like when brands claim to be offering ingredients/percentages that based on the supply chain, just don't exist - but I keep those things to myself.

Me mentioning things about quality and industry issues - like basic quality controls and things like that - isn't because its a competition issue, its because its a consumer health issue and I actually care about people.

I'm used to there being some underhanded things done on here by brands and this year already had its initial brand drama earlier in the year; but I have to say that a brand offering free products to some people here that posted about liking our products if they would stop saying they liked ours was disappointing even to me. I'm not going to say I'm surprised, just more disappointed. The only surprising part to me was that you can actually see that a few people that had really liked our products, including some that I have really went out of my way to help with a lot of things, took them up on it and all of a sudden stopped posting about our brands as much and started posting pics and things about that brand.

Kind of has me questioning as to whether I'm going to be as involved here on AM in the future.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'm used to there being some underhanded things done on here by brands and this year already had its initial brand drama earlier in the year; but I have to say that a brand offering free products to some people here that posted about liking our products if they would stop saying they liked ours was disappointing even to me. I'm not going to say I'm surprised, just more disappointed. The only surprising part to me was that you can actually see that a few people that had really liked our products, including some that I have really went out of my way to help with a lot of things, took them up on it and all of a sudden stopped posting about our brands as much and started posting pics and things about that brand.

Kind of has me questioning as to whether I'm going to be as involved here on AM in the future.
I don't want to get deeper into it, I didn't know that happened, but for real some of the other brands on here are some hot dumpster fire garbage with reps that make me feel instantly dumber every time they post.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I don't want to get deeper into it, I didn't know that happened, but for real some of the other brands on here are some hot dumpster fire garbage with reps that make me feel instantly dumber every time they post.
Yeah, I try to never say anything negative about other brands on here, or really any other brands in general.

I try to post here and help people in every way that I can - not just with our products but with products and information in general. I try to be helpful, encouraging, and I am always quick to mention other brands I like and trust - I think it just irritates some brands that I harp on quality a lot and try to educate people to wary of brands that don't do quality testing or even basic microbial or heavy metals testing - but honestly, its just absolutely absurd of brands not to do that. It's the law - and its a dang good law for a very legitimate reason, consumer health and safety - but a lot of brands continue to treat things like its the old days like its the wild west and have a complete disregard for the industry itself and for consumer health and safety.

The complaints from two separate brands within 6 months about me being too helpful on here and it being unfair has been kind of comical - bc I probably do spend too much time on here and it probably would be better for me and my business if I put more time and energy elsewhere, but I like helping people and have helped people on here for years and have a lot of people that don't post here but read here tell me that they read here for a lot of the things I write - which I realize I do need to be more active on social media and other places anyway.

But the brand offering free product to some of the people that post positive things about our products if they would stop and start posting more about theirs and promoting theirs more is pretty sad.

I'm not even sure that they even thought I wouldn't find out; at first, that's what I thought but the more I think about it, I think they just didn't care if I found out because they know I'm generally very nice about everything and figured I wouldn't say who it was (which I won't publicly) &/or wanted me to find out in hopes that it would discourage me from posting here as much.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Anyway, back to protein conversation haha - for the carb options, would you prefer a 50:50 carb to protein or 75:50 carb to protein if we do one of those?

I'm very excited about this project in general and really trying to decide on 5 flavors to get started with for each protein - WPI and WPI/Micellar Casein blend. I know each will have a chocolate and vanilla variant but besides that, I may try to make the additional flavors different in each for more variety.

This is a work in progress and there's no particular timeframe on it, but I'm ready to start getting flavor samples requested within the next few weeks.

onewarrior5

onewarrior5

Awards
I was thinking maybe you can look into a new version of HOT STUFF like back in the 80’s-90’s but you can lace even more potent this time.

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I was thinking maybe you can look into a new version of HOT STUFF like back in the 80’s-90’s but you can lace even more potent this time.
Hot stuff version 1 had some sort of hormone in it.

I remember briefly giving my suggestions to Steve last year about a protein... since SNS always does something above and beyond most brands I would do a protein with the velositol and maybe a few other ingredients that set it apart from just regular protein powder. Also a blend would work will for taste and consistency vs a straight protein. Wpi/mpi/casein or egg would be nice albeit and again sets you apart from just a plain 1 ingredient protein. Maybe some digestive enzymes added.

onewarrior5

onewarrior5

Awards
Hot stuff version 1 had some sort of hormone in it.

I remember briefly giving my suggestions to Steve last year about a protein... since SNS always does something above and beyond most brands I would do a protein with the velositol and maybe a few other ingredients that set it apart from just regular protein powder. Also a blend would work will for taste and consistency vs a straight protein. Wpi/mpi/casein or egg would be nice albeit and again sets you apart from just a plain 1 ingredient protein. Maybe some digestive enzymes added.
Hot Stuff was laced with Dianabol. That was the secret ingredient.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I thought about doing some interesting things to it if we do one - like maybe adding some enzymes or some other things that we had discussed. It's one of those things where I'd just have to see where the price wound up because people want things to be better but especially with protein, people always want things to be cheaper too - and as you know, its a low margin side of the industry and almost impossible to be cheaper while adding much in the way of extras.

I'm thinking a WPI and a Micellar Casein/WPI - and then if it goes well, maybe do a product that has good quality complex carbs + WPI/Micellar Casein in it too.

It's one of those things I would love to do but the most important thing is getting it right and doing it perfect. I'd love to bring out the first flavors by the end of the year if possible, but I'm not going to rush it bc I want the flavors perfect.

I know chocolate and vanilla are a must and I want to put a spin on them somehow - and then after those, I've got so many ideas I don't even know where to start bc my top 5 to 10 ideas could change depending on what hour you asked me haha. I know that cinnamon something, gluten free cookies and cream, lemon cream, key lime pie, and orange creamsicle are pretty high up on my list. Oh, and mint choc chip and a gluten free choc chip cookie or cookie dough.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Anyway, back to protein conversation haha - for the carb options, would you prefer a 50:50 carb to protein or 75:50 carb to protein if we do one of those?

I'm very excited about this project in general and really trying to decide on 5 flavors to get started with for each protein - WPI and WPI/Micellar Casein blend. I know each will have a chocolate and vanilla variant but besides that, I may try to make the additional flavors different in each for more variety.

This is a work in progress and there's no particular timeframe on it, but I'm ready to start getting flavor samples requested within the next few weeks.
Id probably want 75:50, but I could see a 1:1 carb:protein ratio being popular and a good middle ground versus low carb and weight gainer options we currently have.

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I thought about doing some interesting things to it if we do one - like maybe adding some enzymes or some other things that we had discussed. It's one of those things where I'd just have to see where the price wound up because people want things to be better but especially with protein, people always want things to be cheaper too - and as you know, its a low margin side of the industry and almost impossible to be cheaper while adding much in the way of extras.

I'm thinking a WPI and a Micellar Casein/WPI - and then if it goes well, maybe do a product that has good quality complex carbs + WPI/Micellar Casein in it too.

It's one of those things I would love to do but the most important thing is getting it right and doing it perfect. I'd love to bring out the first flavors by the end of the year if possible, but I'm not going to rush it bc I want the flavors perfect.

I know chocolate and vanilla are a must and I want to put a spin on them somehow - and then after those, I've got so many ideas I don't even know where to start bc my top 5 to 10 ideas could change depending on what hour you asked me haha. I know that cinnamon something, gluten free cookies and cream, lemon cream, key lime pie, and orange creamsicle are pretty high up on my list. Oh, and mint choc chip and a gluten free choc chip cookie or cookie dough.
Yes. Always start with chocolate and vanilla.

And yes protein is tough especially because you'll get 25 different opinions on what someone should offer so yeah you don't want to load it up too much but that blend will be great.

So you're two main barriers to entry with protein other than obviously price are taste and consistency.

You will have people that b*tch and moan that is too thin ..then you have people that b*tch and moan that it's too thick so obviously we have to figure out a happy medium for you :) the ratio of wpi to mc is the key. So I expect you sending me samples for approval LOL

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

This is just ridiculous, but what bothers me even more is this type of behavior is obviously starting to win. If they are able to make you think of not posting on here so much then they win. Yes your products are great, but our loyalty not only comes from that but from you being you here on the board helping, and showing that you truly care. If you change that personna and choose to do less like them, then you lose some of that loyalty. No offence but PHUCK THOSE GUYS!!! Whoever they are. I wish you could tell us because if I knew for sure, I can tell you they would not get any of my business. As a matter of fact feel free to PM me so I can silently boycott them, because I don't want to do business with someone like that anyway. There is plenty of room at the top for the best, so just make sure you are one of them. Don't try tearing down one of them to get your spot... It doesn't work that way. The fact that there is not some sort of accountability and punishment by the board here is pretty sad, but they can't afford to lose board sponsors I am sure.

I love the idea of a meal replacement. I would probably opt for the 50/50 on the carb sources. If we were talking about a peri-workout drink I would say 50/75. Since discussing a meal replacement though, I think a slightly lower carb intake might fit more peoples goals and not scare away the lower carb group. I would like to see something with MPI, and I think 50/50 is a great starting place for this. Maybe add in oats, sweet potato powder, some additional fiber. This could also be a decent place to add in some fruit flavors, and possibly some dehydrated fruit chunks. Like a Cinnamon Apple Oats flavor or something. Hmmmmm. Candied yams flavor with dehydrated marshmallows? Novel but interesting idea, and could use sweet potato powder for that natural flavor.

To be honest on a meal replacement like this if you could somehow add in some type of fruits and greens to the mix I would not have any issue paying a little more for the convenience of knowing I was getting some super antioxidants in my meal replacement. Then it would truly be a meal replacement. Yep, me, Mr. Cheap is saying he would pay extra for that. LMFAO!

Danksta710

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
There are already a lot of milk shake powders on the market. The Clear Whey trend is still growing and imo has more room to grow. I personally use Myprotein most often, but would like to see more smaller company options.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
There are already a lot of milk shake powders on the market. The Clear Whey trend is still growing and imo has more room to grow. I personally use Myprotein most often, but would like to see more smaller company options.
I see the clear whey options seem to be much more expensive, MP selling there's at a whopping $33 for 20 20g servings. So 400g protein at $0.0825 a gram compared to their Impact Whey Isolate 41.88 for 800g of protein which is $0.052 a gram. That is a HUGE mark up. Is this stuff actually magic, or is it just whey? Unless some supraphysiological response, I can't see paying that much more for the same effects. What are the additional benefits over a good WPC, or whey isolate?

andrewski48

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would personally love a clear/fruity type whey option. I used to always have XF Lemonade whey open which was offered in addition to UP LCP. I would also love a Carrot Cake option but know that is possibly niche.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Id probably want 75:50, but I could see a 1:1 carb:protein ratio being popular and a good middle ground versus low carb and weight gainer options we currently have.
That was exactly my thought - that personally I would want a 75:50 but I could see 50:50 being more popular and selling better overall as a middle ground between a protein and a weight gainer. While 75 may be the amount I'd want personally, it may be a little too high for some but too low for people wanting an actual weight gainer.

Something interesting is that I've had several pm's from members that don't post but that have seen this thread asking if we would eventually do a quality weight gainer - and that is something I would eventually consider down the road - but would be more of a next year thing and be contingent upon if the protein does well for us.

Danksta710

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I see the clear whey options seem to be much more expensive, MP selling there's at a whopping $33 for 20 20g servings. So 400g protein at $0.0825 a gram compared to their Impact Whey Isolate 41.88 for 800g of protein which is $0.052 a gram. That is a HUGE mark up. Is this stuff actually magic, or is it just whey? Unless some supraphysiological response, I can't see paying that much more for the same effects. What are the additional benefits over a good WPC, or whey isolate?
When on sale from Myprotein it is often around 80cents to $1 a serving. The way people used to sip on aminos all day...I do that with clear whey. It's a game changer trust me. No bloat either. I still use the milk shake style still post workout, but any other time of the day it's clear. It's super refreshing.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The protein side of the market is definitely very saturated - but at the same time, there are actually not that many that I trust to use personally that I like the types of protein used and the taste of.

I do think that the clear protein is a growing segment - which I actually don't even really care about the clear part, just the ability to offer some fruit flavors and some different flavors.

A big reason I want to offer protein is for customers that like and support our brand. Brand loyalty is a rare thing now days, and I'm very appreciative of it, and I really want to offer a protein for the people that say they'd like to be able to buy one from us so they can get all of their supplement needs in one place.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Most people looking for a clear whey or fruit flavored whey are going to be looking for WPI anyway, so they wouldn't be comparing it to the price for WPC.

There are always going to be customers that want the cheapest protein and don't care about taste - just like there are always going to be people that buy sirloin bc its cheaper and never buy filet mignon.

But then there are people that really don't mind spending more money, especially when its really minimal if you think about it in cost per day - for a better tasting product or different flavors in order to keep from getting burnt out.

For example, I don't eat meat so I consume more protein thru shakes than the average person - I would lose my mind and also never be consistent if it were flavors that I didn't like or if I couldn't change up flavors often. Cost wise, I can drink 8 scoops per day for still less than most people spend on eating out for lunch.

I understand where you're coming from - just explaining the reverse perspective on it.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I would personally love a clear/fruity type whey option. I used to always have XF Lemonade whey open which was offered in addition to UP LCP. I would also love a Carrot Cake option but know that is possibly niche.
I remember the XF Lemonade Whey too.

I definitely do hope to do some fruity flavors - that's a big thing I want to do because I want them myself haha. They just wouldn't be first because I feel like at first its important that we cover the basics and make sure it sells well before getting too creative with things.

I actually like the idea of Carrot Cake. Not at first bc it would definitely be a nice flavor, but if it goes well and we can expand on things and get to offering a lot of flavors, I would be open to that.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yes. Always start with chocolate and vanilla.

And yes protein is tough especially because you'll get 25 different opinions on what someone should offer so yeah you don't want to load it up too much but that blend will be great.

So you're two main barriers to entry with protein other than obviously price are taste and consistency.

You will have people that b*tch and moan that is too thin ..then you have people that b*tch and moan that it's too thick so obviously we have to figure out a happy medium for you :) the ratio of wpi to mc is the key. So I expect you sending me samples for approval LOL
Agreed. I know that's the thing with protein is that no matter what a brand does, there are going to be people that don't like it - bc just like with food, personal tastes differ and you're always going to have some that want thicker, thinner, etc.

I actually would love to have your input in the flavor approval process.

Danksta710

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Most people looking for a clear whey or fruit flavored whey are going to be looking for WPI anyway, so they wouldn't be comparing it to the price for WPC.

There are always going to be customers that want the cheapest protein and don't care about taste - just like there are always going to be people that buy sirloin bc its cheaper and never buy filet mignon.

But then there are people that really don't mind spending more money, especially when its really minimal if you think about it in cost per day - for a better tasting product or different flavors in order to keep from getting burnt out.

For example, I don't eat meat so I consume more protein thru shakes than the average person - I would lose my mind and also never be consistent if it were flavors that I didn't like or if I couldn't change up flavors often. Cost wise, I can drink 8 scoops per day for still less than most people spend on eating out for lunch.

I understand where you're coming from - just explaining the reverse perspective on it.
Curious what fruit flavors you are thinking. If there was something different than the current options I could rely on I'd support it. Pink Grapefruit is one they have in the UK they just haven't brought over here. Monster sells a version in their Ultra line. I'd for sure buy that flavor.

Not many apple options. There is the Jelly Belly they do in small runs and Syntrax has Honeycrisp.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
This is just ridiculous, but what bothers me even more is this type of behavior is obviously starting to win. If they are able to make you think of not posting on here so much then they win. Yes your products are great, but our loyalty not only comes from that but from you being you here on the board helping, and showing that you truly care. If you change that personna and choose to do less like them, then you lose some of that loyalty. No offence but PHUCK THOSE GUYS!!! Whoever they are. I wish you could tell us because if I knew for sure, I can tell you they would not get any of my business. As a matter of fact feel free to PM me so I can silently boycott them, because I don't want to do business with someone like that anyway. There is plenty of room at the top for the best, so just make sure you are one of them. Don't try tearing down one of them to get your spot... It doesn't work that way. The fact that there is not some sort of accountability and punishment by the board here is pretty sad, but they can't afford to lose board sponsors I am sure.

I love the idea of a meal replacement. I would probably opt for the 50/50 on the carb sources. If we were talking about a peri-workout drink I would say 50/75. Since discussing a meal replacement though, I think a slightly lower carb intake might fit more peoples goals and not scare away the lower carb group. I would like to see something with MPI, and I think 50/50 is a great starting place for this. Maybe add in oats, sweet potato powder, some additional fiber. This could also be a decent place to add in some fruit flavors, and possibly some dehydrated fruit chunks. Like a Cinnamon Apple Oats flavor or something. Hmmmmm. Candied yams flavor with dehydrated marshmallows? Novel but interesting idea, and could use sweet potato powder for that natural flavor.

To be honest on a meal replacement like this if you could somehow add in some type of fruits and greens to the mix I would not have any issue paying a little more for the convenience of knowing I was getting some super antioxidants in my meal replacement. Then it would truly be a meal replacement. Yep, me, Mr. Cheap is saying he would pay extra for that. LMFAO!
Thanks. I agree, it is ridiculous. And yes, it is starting to win bc I have been thinking of scaling things back a bit on here for several reasons, and BS like that is just going to accelerate it. I realize on one hand, its 'letting them win' but what discouraged me isn't that they did it, its that you can tell that some people actually went for it.

There's always been a problem here on AM about companies trying to build their businesses up by tearing other people's down - but it hadn't been as ridiculous in recent years because there aren't many brands left that post on here. I try to never say anything negative about other brands - and again, I try to educate people about quality and safety when it comes to supplements - and if a brand isn't following the GMP guidelines and doing proper quality testing, they don't need to get mad at me, they need to be ashamed of themselves over that part of things. I speak positively of many different supplement brands all the time - but the common theme with that is that I speak about brands that I actually trust and would use myself and that follow GMP quality guidelines - NOW Foods, Nature's Way, Innovapharm, Ketogenics, Body Nutrition (Trutein), etc.

The two brands that have complained that I post on here too much trying to help people - I just found that amusing. The one that just started offering product to some people that like our products if they would stop mentioning them and post about theirs - that's just sad that they would rather do that than actually spend the time trying to help people themselves; like maybe contribute to the forum and help people. But the overall discouraging part of it to me is to see that it worked to a degree.

I actually love the idea of a sweet potato and marshmallow flavor - that would be awesome.

I'm leaning towards a 50 carb to 50 protein ratio for it - I think that would be more appealing to most than a 75:50.

Thank you for the suggestion about adding some fruit and vegetable concentrates into it - I had thought about that. I had thought about also adding in some digestive enzymes to it as well.

StrongNaturalSupps

Awards
I don’t think I’ve ever had a protein taste truly good out if the tub.

I’ve had protein samples packs that taste good but then when you buy the tub it tastes way different - usually unbeareable to not good

Now I resort to unflavored protein mixed with a bit of pure cocoa powder.

I think it might even help with fat loss by not having those artificial sweeteners in

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Curious what fruit flavors you are thinking. If there was something different than the current options I could rely on I'd support it. Pink Grapefruit is one they have in the UK they just haven't brought over here. Monster sells a version in their Ultra line. I'd for sure buy that flavor.

Not many apple options. There is the Jelly Belly they do in small runs and Syntrax has Honeycrisp.
I have a lot of flavors that I would love to try to offer eventually, but would likely start with 3 and see how they sold.

Sometimes, not all flavors work out the way you think. My initial thoughts were things like the Blue Raspberry Popsicle, Pink Grapefruit, and Watermelon that we use in our Creatine HCI Powder, Rocket Pop, Gummy Bear, and maybe a good grape or grape limeade or black cherry limeade flavor. There's more I have on my list, but that's along the lines I was thinking on.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

I’ve had protein samples packs that taste good but then when you buy the tub it tastes way different - usually unbeareable to not good

I think it might even help with fat loss by not having those artificial sweeteners in
I remember years ago running into that a lot - that sample packs for some brands tasted different than the tubs, but I wasn't aware if that still went on or not.

I know that I can vouch for both Ketogenics proteins (IsoWhey and Zero Carb) and also Trutein in that their samples are true to taste and the tubs taste exactly like the samples on them.

I really enjoy both brands and I rarely use any other brands besides those now days bc I know I can depend on them for quality, taste, and very importantly in my case - to not have gluten cross contamination.

StrongNaturalSupps

Awards
Mr.E. protein does this trick… their oatmeal sample was good but their 2 different tubs taste like artificial trash!

Danksta710

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have a lot of flavors that I would love to try to offer eventually, but would likely start with 3 and see how they sold.

Sometimes, not all flavors work out the way you think. My initial thoughts were things like the Blue Raspberry Popsicle, Pink Grapefruit, and Watermelon that we use in our Creatine HCI Powder, Rocket Pop, Gummy Bear, and maybe a good grape or grape limeade or black cherry limeade flavor. There's more I have on my list, but that's along the lines I was thinking on.
Wow if you brought Pink Grapefruit out I would def be ordering that on a regular basis. I understand you may not be able to compete with Myprotein prices but I really do want another option I could rely on besides them. Even if it costs more. I enjoy the Muscletech Clear, but I swear it makes more me thirsty than quenched so I don't get it often. So I've been waiting on another brand to add in the rotation.

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

That's just sloppy production because in my opinion whenever you run the production of protein tub, you should always use the same exact material that you blended and use it for the protein sample pack so there's no deviation at all.

You can have a slight tiny miniscule deviation and flavor from different production batches but it shouldn't be so much that the sample packs and the tub taste different like you said ...that's just poor quality control.

But many brands do just that , run tens of thousands of sample packs separate from any tub production. I'm not someone who agrees with that method but it's very common. I'm just a bit more anal.

I know one massive brand, I mean one of the top brands out there that believe it or not doesn't sell as many sample packs as you think so they started to pull back on them in fact during covid they stopped sample production and selling of them all together... so maybe the brand that you tried had a sample pack that was sitting for a couple of years and closer expiration date so who really knows there could be a lot of factors.

All that aside, it really shouldn't much taste different because the flavor and formula is pretty much kept under lock and key unless and always the same. Unless they changed a certain flavor house they used for the sample packs then okay so be it but it really shouldn't be like that.

And when you do change flavor houses or CM's, you do everything you can over and over and over again to make sure the new flavor house flavorings and the final product match the old one you used to sell prior to the new flavor house. It's just how good brands work.

Last edited:
sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Wow if you brought Pink Grapefruit out I would def be ordering that on a regular basis. I understand you may not be able to compete with Myprotein prices but I really do want another option I could rely on besides them. Even if it costs more. I enjoy the Muscletech Clear, but I swear it makes more me thirsty than quenched so I don't get it often. So I've been waiting on another brand to add in the rotation.
Everyone loves our Pink Grapefruit Creatine HCI powder and I plan to use that flavor in a lot more things - the upcoming EAA product, probably as a Focus XT flavor, and I think it would be awesome in a protein.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
That's just sloppy production because in my opinion whenever you run the production of protein tub, you should always use the same exact material that you blended and use it for the protein sample pack so there's no deviation at all.

You can have a slight tiny miniscule deviation and flavor from different production batches but it shouldn't be so much that the sample packs and the tub taste different like you said ...that's just poor quality control.

But many brands do just that , run tens of thousands of sample packs separate from any tub production. I'm not someone who agrees with that method but it's very common. I'm just a bit more anal.

I know one massive brand, I mean one of the top brands out there that believe it or not doesn't sell as many sample packs as you think so they started to pull back on them in fact during covid they stopped sample production and selling of them all together... so maybe the brand that you tried had a sample pack that was sitting for a couple of years and closer expiration date so who really knows there could be a lot of factors.

All that aside, it really shouldn't much taste different because the flavor and formula is pretty much kept under lock and key unless and always the same. Unless they changed a certain flavor house they used for the sample packs then okay so be it but it really shouldn't be like that.

And when you do change flavor houses or CM's, you do everything you can over and over and over again to make sure the new flavor house flavorings and the final product match the old one you used to sell prior to the new flavor house. It's just how good brands work.
Everything that you wrote is correct on how things should be done.

But it has been a long standing practice by some brands to make the sample pack flavors slightly better or have slightly stronger flavors than the production units - as a way to lure people into buying. This used to be a very common practice, but I thought it had died down over the years.

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

But it has been a long standing practice by some brands to make the sample pack flavors slightly better or have slightly stronger flavors than the production units - as a way to lure people into buying. This used to be a very common practice, but I thought it had died down over the years.
Ah man that's really fked up!

StrongNaturalSupps

Awards

Wow thats crazy didint know it was so widespread. I think they prolly add more fat too to the samples, fat makes things taste better usually.

The ghost chips ahoy is prolly one of the best ive tried but I have to take a third or quarter of a scoop or so and add unflavored protein for the rest.

Mutant had some good samples as I remember, but never tried a tub.

Tried the muscletech clear protein, the expensive dymatize gourmet chocolate whey that I have to use between a fift and a tenth of a scoop with extra unflavored whey and many mainstream brands… I find that theyre just waay to sweet but maybe im just an outlier of the market!

Or maybe if you make a low sweetness protein it could become the next big thing in the market who knows!

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Wow thats crazy didint know it was so widespread. I think they prolly add more fat too to the samples, fat makes things taste better usually.

The ghost chips ahoy is prolly one of the best ive tried but I have to take a third or quarter of a scoop or so and add unflavored protein for the rest.

Mutant had some good samples as I remember, but never tried a tub.

Tried the muscletech clear protein, the expensive dymatize gourmet chocolate whey that I have to use between a fift and a tenth of a scoop with extra unflavored whey and many mainstream brands… I find that theyre just waay to sweet but maybe im just an outlier of the market!

Or maybe if you make a low sweetness protein it could become the next big thing in the market who knows!
For me, I've found that one can adjust the sweetness level of most things by adding more or less liquid to it - that's what I do personally. But everyone is different and has different tastes.

I don't try a lot of different brands anymore bc I'm very distrusting of some brands meeting label claims and also because I've every allergic to gluten and I have to worry about cross contamination issues. One major brand that says their Mint Chocolate Chip is gluten free - definitely wasn't and it caused me some serious health issues. Ever since then, I've stuck to using Ketogenics proteins and Trutein except for the occasional samples of a couple that people have been nice enough to send me.

baldwanus

baldwanus

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I actually like the idea of Carrot Cake. Not at first bc it would definitely be a nice flavor, but if it goes well and we can expand on things and get to offering a lot of flavors, I would be open to that.
I would savage through some Carrot Cake flavored protein, especially if the cream cheese icing flavor aspect is done right.

Saw marshmallow mentioned in another post, you'd have some stiff competition on that one haha. RYSE has a 'Jet Puffed' branded flavor thats pretty god damn delicious.

aloosecannon

Awards
  • Established
I'd like to see both a WPI/Micellar Casein blend and a fruit juice like isolate. For the blend, I'd really hope for a banana flavor, something cinnamon based (horchata would be great) a coconut flavor (coconut cream pie, toasted coconut, coconut ice cream). Maybe down the road a lemon cream pie or lemon meringue, root beer float, and some holiday flavors like eggnog and pumpkin pie.

I used to buy 4Ever Fit whey isolate fruit flavors. It was like drinking Snapple instead of a milky or creamy fruit flavored shake. I'd try something like that for sure.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Thanks for being a stand-up guy, Steve! @sns8778

GothamsReckoning

GothamsReckoning

Awards
I’ve always liked mint chip but it never seemed like any company has been able to get the flavor quite right

I would definitely be interested in a quality gainer. Does using using stevia as a sweetener cost the manufacturer more?