Do you want to see SNS offer a protein? Tell us what you want.

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I forgot about the Glanbia crisps. I'd have to see what flavors that they offer. Send me a link to the ones you're talking about privately if you don't mind.

I see where you're coming from - but on the other hand, as someone that is very allergic to gluten myself, I talk to a lot of others that are and one very common thing is that many feel left out when it comes to certain flavors of protein powders. There are some cookies & cream proteins that have the flavor but not cookie pieces. I'm not familiar with any gluten free Cookies & Cream shake that has real gluten free cookie pieces in them.
That's the issue I meant. The moq is massive. They sell unflavored crisps with very little moq. But they don't flavor them. They can give you some of their vendors who buy from them and flavor and I called a few (cant recall their info now as it was 3 years ago) and the moq is very high. So yeah may be cheaper and way less headache to see if you can source some gluten free cookie pieces.

Maybe an ice cream topping supply company has the cookie crumbs or "cookie dirt" as they call it.

I emailed you the Glanbia info.

Last edited:
Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
FWIW - I used an immersion blender, and it easily take care of any chunks.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
That's the issue I meant. The moq is massive. They sell unflavored crisps with very little moq. But they don't flavor them. They can give you some of their vendors who buy from them and flavor and I called a few (cant recall their info now as it was 3 years ago) and the moq is very high. So yeah may be cheaper and way less headache to see if you can source some gluten free cookie pieces.

Maybe an ice cream topping supply company has the cookie crumbs or "cookie dirt" as they call it.

I emailed you the Glanbia info.
Thank you. I appreciate that.

I thought that the unflavored crisps were what you were talking about - I had thought about using them in some things. I looked at them years ago too but haven't kept up with it lately.

I've been trying to source some gluten free cookie pieces - if they're out there, I'll find them haha.

I've never even seen the gluten free ones or ice creams. That's okay though, I've contacted some of the major companies that make the gluten free cookies like Oreos and waiting to hear back if they're available. Worst case, cm will just buy a lot of them and break them up themselves if possible.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
FWIW - I used an immersion blender, and it easily take care of any chunks.
That was kind of my thoughts with chunks and cookie pieces - for anyone that doesn't want them, a blendjet will solve that problem anyway haha. But for people that do like things like that, it would be a cool addition in some flavors.

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thank you. I appreciate that.

I thought that the unflavored crisps were what you were talking about - I had thought about using them in some things. I looked at them years ago too but haven't kept up with it lately.

I've been trying to source some gluten free cookie pieces - if they're out there, I'll find them haha.

I've never even seen the gluten free ones or ice creams. That's okay though, I've contacted some of the major companies that make the gluten free cookies like Oreos and waiting to hear back if they're available. Worst case, cm will just buy a lot of them and break them up themselves if possible.
Lol yes that's pretty much what I was thinking about breaking up the cookies.

The unflavored tiny crisps are awesome. I add them to my protein sludge. I even add them to my meaty dishes since they can take on any flavor. They help add a crunch to boring crunch less keto meals.

They are great in protein bars. So many applications.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It definitely would be easier for me, that's for sure. And depending on what options are available, that may wind up being the direction we have to go in. But as someone with a non-celiac autoimmune allergy to gluten myself, I feel for the people that can't eat gluten and thought this would be something really cool to hopefully be able to do for them.

Glutino cookies can be purchased in most grocery stores that have a decent selection of gluten free foods. In my area, Walmart and Food Lion have them.

Here's what I'm referring to for anyone interested:

I’ll check Food Lion. It’s right up the road from me

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’ll check Food Lion. It’s right up the road from me
If you find them, let me know how you like them.

If you feel like it, try them and gluten free Oreos and let me know which you like better. I like both, but the Glutino ones I like because they aren't quite as rich.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I knew the answer to this years ago, I'm going to try to try remember and explain the best that I can based off memory, but I'm paraphrasing because there are some details I don't remember exactly.

The product was legit to the best of my knowledge - the company themselves were/are legit. It was just very expensive and didn't taste the greatest and had a weird aftertaste. The glass bottles were used bc of the acidity.

A couple of companies tried to replicate it and do it in a plastic bottle and ran into some acidity issues. That's why the few you see now that are like that, like ON has a protein water with caffeine are less protein in them.
These are still around but are now 32g/bottle. I do believe they, as did a couple other brands no longer producing such items(ABB I think) use ion-exchange whey. Correct me if I am wrong but that version of WPI lends itself to such a product better since it does not seem to require the anti-foaming ingredients you see in all the powdered whey iso fruit/clear wheys currently available.

Current version:

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
To me a Cookies and Cream without the crisps is basically a Red Velvet Cake flavor without the food coloring. Same half vanilla, half chocolate flavor. It is the crunchies that make it different. I am definitely pro crunchies if you are doing Cookies and Cream.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yes. Always start with chocolate and vanilla.

And yes protein is tough especially because you'll get 25 different opinions on what someone should offer so yeah you don't want to load it up too much but that blend will be great.

So you're two main barriers to entry with protein other than obviously price are taste and consistency.

You will have people that b*tch and moan that is too thin ..then you have people that b*tch and moan that it's too thick so obviously we have to figure out a happy medium for you :) the ratio of wpi to mc is the key. So I expect you sending me samples for approval LOL
Add me as a third group: I will b*tch and moan about the above people being too rigid to figure out how to use MORE or LESS liquid to tailor thickness and flavor intensity....................the lack of problem solving skills is terrifying now a days. lol. I don't know about everyone else but I don't even look at the recommended liquid amounts they instruct to use on labels. I tell all customers: these are guidelines make it work for you based on your preferences.

As to the SNS protein: I like the WPI and M. casein being used. My two cents: I really prefer a two lb container and personally dislike all the random "x scoop per jug" products that companies have pivoted too. I detest shrinkflation as eventually you can't make the jug any smaller, looking at you Iso-100, and you have to raise the price and this leaves us with an expensive and small jug.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Add me as a third group: I will b*tch and moan about the above people being too rigid to figure out how to use MORE or LESS liquid to tailor thickness and flavor intensity....................the lack of problem solving skills is terrifying now a days. lol. I don't know about everyone else but I don't even look at the recommended liquid amounts they instruct to use on labels. I tell all customers: these are guidelines make it work for you based on your preferences.

As to the SNS protein: I like the WPI and M. casein being used. My two cents: I really prefer a two lb container and personally dislike all the random "x scoop per jug" products that companies have pivoted too. I detest shrinkflation as eventually you can't make the jug any smaller, looking at you Iso-100, and you have to raise the price and this leaves us with an expensive and small jug.
Yeah, to me, taste is such a subjective thing that I just try to use the amount of liquid that I like the taste of the best.

As for the 2 lb. versus # of servings listed, I do agree that a lot of that was rising costs and brands trying to adjust - kind of as you said, shrinkflation. But there is another side to that too - the FDA has gotten stricter on weights matching and thus brands having to more true to labeling weight and also brands trying for uniformity - as in making sure that if they have 8 flavors, that all of them have the same number of servings. For example, if we did say a 2 lb. Strawberry, it may have 30 servings but if we do a 2 lb. Cookies & Cream, the added weight may make us have to drop back to 26 servings instead of 30 servings in order to hit the 2 lb. mark. So, instead of the old way which was to go by weight, that's one reason that brands have now changed up to going by # of servings instead of weight. I hope that makes sense.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Right, protein servings are getting down into the 20g a scoop range which is BS!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, to me, taste is such a subjective thing that I just try to use the amount of liquid that I like the taste of the best.

As for the 2 lb. versus # of servings listed, I do agree that a lot of that was rising costs and brands trying to adjust - kind of as you said, shrinkflation. But there is another side to that too - the FDA has gotten stricter on weights matching and thus brands having to more true to labeling weight and also brands trying for uniformity - as in making sure that if they have 8 flavors, that all of them have the same number of servings. For example, if we did say a 2 lb. Strawberry, it may have 30 servings but if we do a 2 lb. Cookies & Cream, the added weight may make us have to drop back to 26 servings instead of 30 servings in order to hit the 2 lb. mark. So, instead of the old way which was to go by weight, that's one reason that brands have now changed up to going by # of servings instead of weight. I hope that makes sense.
i can see how that makes sense, but the smaller scoops so they can say more scoops crap is just ridiculous. It's like the whole cereal box thing... Lets make it was tall and wide as it used to be but thinner front to back and no one will notice. Now you have cereal boxes like 1.5 inches thick compared to 3 inches, and half the product weight at double the price... Just insane.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Right, protein servings are getting down into the 20g a scoop range which is BS!
There may be a little more to that part than you realize though in all fairness.

From a market perspective, brands have to try to label according to their customer base.

For example, you could have 22 grams of protein and it be zero carb - but increasing to say 25 grams may make you have to identify a gram of carbohydrates. Now for you, that doesn't matter - but for some people, the perception can matter a lot.

I understand where you're coming from - just explaining that there's more to it than some realize.

I'll give you an example, I'm discussing protein here as a hypothetical in this thread and asking what people want - but I'm already rolling on the idea and in talks to make it a reality. The above example is a real one. For a WPI and Micellar Casein combination, if we do 22 grams of protein per scoop, I can say its zero carb. If I go to 25 grams, I have to round up and say 1 carb. So, I have to ask myself - is the extra 3 grams per scoop worth having to claim a carb and it go from being a Zero Carb?

Now, in your case, I know you don't care. And in my case personally, I don't care either. But either of us can also just top off our scoop a little to add to our personal shakes. From a business perspective, I have to look at it like going up 3 grams of protein and having to list a carb, I can no longer say Zero Carb and run the risk of losing every low carb or keto customer in the country because of it.

I hope that makes sense. (And btw... for people wondering, when I end posts a lot of times in 'I hope that makes sense' - I'm never saying that I think that people aren't smart enough to understand; that comment is directed at me and is my way of saying that I hope I explained that in a way that makes sense to the average person reading that doesn't work in the industry).

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Now that is a great explanation of why it would make sense in a marketing strategy, and also at the same time part of the complaint I have with some of this. Yet, I understand a company is in the business of making money, so there has to be those considerations on what will get the most customers interested. However the difference here, or at least what I would hope is that if you had to do this and make your protein 22 instead of 25g for that reason, is that it would be reflected in the price. Not just lowering the per scoop gram amount and leaving the product the same or higher price than when the servings were larger. That is the part I see happening more often now. Less product but the same or even higher prices. It will still say 65 servings but all the sudden 3-5 less grams per scoop, and it adds up.

Honestly though, I think I am in an outlier group when it comes to protein and other supplements. I tend to know how many servings, and how many grams of protein are in the entire jug so I know how much per gram of protein I am paying when I am pricing my options. I doubt most people are as anal about that part as I am. Once I narrow that down, I ask which ones people like better out of A,B, & C on the taste and go with that.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
To be fair one really has to figure price per gram. We sell a product, not saying as this is SNS thread, at our shop that is 20g/scoop and it is the lowest cost per gram of protein.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

I should clarify, I don't HAVE to have 2lbs but would be perfectly fine with 28-30 scoops. I do expect a scoop a day for a month from the mid size(2ish lb) tub. 25 or < is a no go for me personally.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
There may be a little more to that part than you realize though in all fairness.

From a market perspective, brands have to try to label according to their customer base.

For example, you could have 22 grams of protein and it be zero carb - but increasing to say 25 grams may make you have to identify a gram of carbohydrates. Now for you, that doesn't matter - but for some people, the perception can matter a lot.

I understand where you're coming from - just explaining that there's more to it than some realize.

I'll give you an example, I'm discussing protein here as a hypothetical in this thread and asking what people want - but I'm already rolling on the idea and in talks to make it a reality. The above example is a real one. For a WPI and Micellar Casein combination, if we do 22 grams of protein per scoop, I can say its zero carb. If I go to 25 grams, I have to round up and say 1 carb. So, I have to ask myself - is the extra 3 grams per scoop worth having to claim a carb and it go from being a Zero Carb?

Now, in your case, I know you don't care. And in my case personally, I don't care either. But either of us can also just top off our scoop a little to add to our personal shakes. From a business perspective, I have to look at it like going up 3 grams of protein and having to list a carb, I can no longer say Zero Carb and run the risk of losing every low carb or keto customer in the country because of it.

I hope that makes sense. (And btw... for people wondering, when I end posts a lot of times in 'I hope that makes sense' - I'm never saying that I think that people aren't smart enough to understand; that comment is directed at me and is my way of saying that I hope I explained that in a way that makes sense to the average person reading that doesn't work in the industry).
100% makes sense. I also point out to customers, regarding the 20g/scoop product I mentioned, that the ones that have 24-25g simply have scoop sizes that are 5-8g bigger. MOST understand at that point.

Go for the lower carb/zero carb as the people that care will simply not be convinced that 4kcals matters not.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
To be fair one really has to figure price per gram. We sell a product, not saying as this is SNS thread, at our shop that is 20g/scoop and it is the lowest cost per gram of protein.
Agreed, that is how I figure things out when shopping. Figure out the total protein in the jug then figure out how much per gram of protein.

100% makes sense. I also point out to customers, regarding the 20g/scoop product I mentioned, that the ones that have 24-25g simply have scoop sizes that are 5-8g bigger. MOST understand at that point.

Go for the lower carb/zero carb as the people that care will simply not be convinced that 4kcals matters not.
Agreed, carbophobes are going to salivate over a zero carb protein powder. It will attract them like a moth to flame. Except with a positive outcome of course. :)

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Now that is a great explanation of why it would make sense in a marketing strategy, and also at the same time part of the complaint I have with some of this. Yet, I understand a company is in the business of making money, so there has to be those considerations on what will get the most customers interested. However the difference here, or at least what I would hope is that if you had to do this and make your protein 22 instead of 25g for that reason, is that it would be reflected in the price. Not just lowering the per scoop gram amount and leaving the product the same or higher price than when the servings were larger. That is the part I see happening more often now. Less product but the same or even higher prices. It will still say 65 servings but all the sudden 3-5 less grams per scoop, and it adds up.

Honestly though, I think I am in an outlier group when it comes to protein and other supplements. I tend to know how many servings, and how many grams of protein are in the entire jug so I know how much per gram of protein I am paying when I am pricing my options. I doubt most people are as anal about that part as I am. Once I narrow that down, I ask which ones people like better out of A,B, & C on the taste and go with that.
I'm not defending what some brands do - many brands do absolutely everything in their power to save even pennies in profit - that goes along with many brands now days skimping on or not bothering to do basic quality testing (and people here on AM still supporting them) and also on the big marketing brands selling so many units that a .10 cent savings can translate into a lot of additional profit to go back into marketing their products.

But in general, brands have to adjust to rising costs on their end - if the price of protein goes up, people will complain if the selling price of the product goes up; so many brands have tried to offset that by decreasing the amount of grams per container (per scoop) in order to not have to raise costs.

It's a no win situation because some people are going to complain either way - brands have to do the best they can to adjust to keep their customers happy and to remain competitive in the market.

In regards to your comments on price, I can't speak for other companies.

For my companies, we offer top quality products at great prices. I always want to offer consumers the best product at the best price - but I'm not going to sacrifice quality or cut corners to play the price game - not on protein, not on anything.

I always use the example - if you can buy a product that works for 40.00 or a product that doesn't work as well or doesn't work at all for 30.00, did you really save 10.00 or did you just waste 30.00 to begin with?

There are many brands on the market that don't care about their products delivering results; they simply care about profits. And for people that don't care about quality or appreciate the quality of the products that we offer, there are a large number of brands out there that will be glad to rip them off and take their money.

I like science, I love supplements, and I love helping people - and that's what this is about to me - helping people reach their health and fitness goals and helping to improve their quality of life thru offering them top quality supplements at prices that they can afford.

Last edited:
sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The current conversation going at the moment is a great example of why some brands do cut corners on protein - whether it be by using cheaper forms, amino spiking, rounding dosages up to say 25 when its really 22 - because for many consumers - they want the cheapest one but they also want it to have this and that, etc.

And at a certain point - its no longer feasible for brands to meet those expectations and that's why some brands just start cutting corners and doing things like that.

For me, I either want to offer a top quality protein that tastes good and people look forward to drinking at a great price - but great price meaning a great value for it being a top quality product - or I'd rather just not do one at all.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The current conversation going at the moment is a great example of why some brands do cut corners on protein - whether it be by using cheaper forms, amino spiking, rounding dosages up to say 25 when its really 22 - because for many consumers - they want the cheapest one but they also want it to have this and that, etc.

And at a certain point - its no longer feasible for brands to meet those expectations and that's why some brands just start cutting corners and doing things like that.

For me, I either want to offer a top quality protein that tastes good and people look forward to drinking at a great price - but great price meaning a great value for it being a top quality product - or I'd rather just not do one at all.
Yeah, I get all of those things. It is just when they try to use slick tactics to hide the increase in cost that just pisses me off. I don't like to be manipulated, and it is just insulting to me to see how stupid they think the average consumer is. If costs go up them bump the friggin price. Same quality, same amounts just bump the price.

Like you said, you can't make everyone happy and I am sure there are plenty who are blissfully ignorant of the fact they are getting less for more, and will be for as long as the price doesn't go up even if the servings continue to get smaller.

That is why I like your companies. I know there is not going to be BS like that to deal with. You are going to make a solid product, and sell it for a solid price, and if people pay attention and are loyal they can get in on some great deals on top of that. There is a reason my supplement cabinet is full of staples from your companies.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yeah, I get all of those things. It is just when they try to use slick tactics to hide the increase in cost that just pisses me off. I don't like to be manipulated, and it is just insulting to me to see how stupid they think the average consumer is. If costs go up them bump the friggin price. Same quality, same amounts just bump the price.

Like you said, you can't make everyone happy and I am sure there are plenty who are blissfully ignorant of the fact they are getting less for more, and will be for as long as the price doesn't go up even if the servings continue to get smaller.

That is why I like your companies. I know there is not going to be BS like that to deal with. You are going to make a solid product, and sell it for a solid price, and if people pay attention and are loyal they can get in on some great deals on top of that. There is a reason my supplement cabinet is full of staples from your companies.
I really appreciate what you said in that last paragraph. I really do. And I hope my posts aren't coming off as disagreeing with you, I'm just trying to explain that there is another perspective on the situation when it comes to a lot of these things.

From a business perspective, I would actually be better off just to agree with you and not try to explain any of this because the more people dislike other protein brands, the more likely they are to buy a protein from us when we launch it. I'm just all about honesty and just as there are some deceptive reasons that some brands make changes like that, there are sometimes legitimate reasons that they do as well - and I'll commend the ones that are at least honest and meet label claims.

I agree that some brands do try to use slick tactics - that's part of marketing in general, and why I always try to support non-marketing based brands. But again, with wanting to buy the cheapest brand options available, you're supporting the mass market brands that are doing exactly what you're saying you hate rather than spending what amounts to very little more to support small business owners who actually are trying to do things the way you're asking for them to be done.

^^^ Please don't take that personal - I'm just offering a perspective of how your expressed buying decisions and habits play into the marketing that you say you hate.

For example, for me - I do trust Optimum Nutrition on quality; they are a massive company and owned by a milk conglomerate - I trust that their products will meet label claims, but I don't drink Whey concentrate and also I don't like the taste of their products. But even if I did, I would still have no problem at all paying a couple more dollars per container to support smaller businesses that make top quality products that I trust as well and that taste better (like Body Nutrition Trutein and Ketogenics). They may be a couple dollars more - but its not because the owners are putting the money in their pockets, its because they aren't owned by huge corporations or marketing companies and it costs them more to make these items - but they have great quality, taste much better (important to me), and I like supporting businesses that are owned by individuals that do things the right way.

Also though, in fairness, when the protein prices first went up a few years ago, back before Optimum did change from the 2 lb. and 5 lb. sizes, they did just try upping their prices. Their sales dropped substantially and that's why they made the changes that they did. That's what I mean about it being a no win situation for brands - they tried keeping it the same and raised prices, sales plummeted. So they change sizes and bring down prices and people complain and feel deceived - yet there was no deception because they didn't lie - the supplement facts and weight of the container clearly expressed the changes. I don't think in Optimum's case that they tried to deceive their customers or thought their customers were stupid - I think they actually listened to their customers and made changes to be able to continue to hit the prices points that they wanted.

There are brands that do do things like that deceptively to increase profits - but its unfair to lump all brands into the same categories because there are many brands that made these changes bc it was more important to their customers for the product to be sold at a certain price point for them.

To me - changing a label and the label meeting label claims is not being deceptive - and a customer on a budget that is okay with losing x amount of grams per serving or servings per container because they can't afford to spend over __ price isn't ignorant of them. We all have different financial situations.

I think its ironic that we are having a conversation here on AM about brands being deceptive when there are brands that are not meeting label claims at all, brands not following GMP guidelines, not even doing basic quality testing including even basic safety testing - and a personal pet peeve of mine - claiming to use branded ingredients in products when they aren't.

Yet, stuff like that gets a free pass oftentimes on here and people act like it isn't happening - but companies that do label things correctly (even if they may change their labels, serving sizes, etc.), meet label claims, do all appropriate testing, etc. are viewed as or called deceptive because they change a serving size because prices go up.

^^ To me - that's the real deception in this industry is brands not meeting label claims and all, in many cases not even trying to, and the ones that care so much about profits and so little about their consumers that they don't even do basic heavy metals and microbial safety testing.

Either way, I want to try to switch this thread back to being fun and discussing flavors and ideas hopefully.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Agreed, and I wish I knew who the brands you are talking about are, but they probably appropriately don't have my attention anyway. Also agree most aren't hiding the fact the servings are smaller, they just don't make a big deal about it, and it often goes unnoticed.

I am pretty sure part of the reason ON dropped for a while is they were a part of that protein spiking debacle back in the day. I remember being shocked seeing their name on the list for it. I thought they were too big to be messing with stuff like that.

I am with you though, I do not like their flavors and if I wanted them I would just buy the stuff they bottle for Vitamin Shoppe which is cheaper.

Now back to the flavors... Apple Jolly rancher! I be that one would need to be a Clear protein eh?

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Agreed, and I wish I knew who the brands you are talking about are, but they probably appropriately don't have my attention anyway. Also agree most aren't hiding the fact the servings are smaller, they just don't make a big deal about it, and it often goes unnoticed.

I am pretty sure part of the reason ON dropped for a while is they were a part of that protein spiking debacle back in the day. I remember being shocked seeing their name on the list for it. I thought they were too big to be messing with stuff like that.

I am with you though, I do not like their flavors and if I wanted them I would just buy the stuff they bottle for Vitamin Shoppe which is cheaper.

Now back to the flavors... Apple Jolly rancher! I be that one would need to be a Clear protein eh?
I think you're either confused or read one of the false hit piece articles from back then on Optimum Nutrition.

Optimum Nutrition was never a part of the amino spiking issues back in the old days. There were some people that wrote articles and tried to put them down for using majority concentrate and making it seem like they were using more isolate than they really were, but they were well within their rights to label their products the way they did from a legal standpoint.

Optimum Nutrition is owned by Glanbia - who also owns BSN, IsoPure, Slimfast, and a lot of other brands and is a multi-billion dollar company. They are way too large to risk doing things like that - and they would never need to anyway because Glanbia is either the number one or number two dairy supplier in the country, so they have ample access to whey protein at prices that other companies just simply can't match.

I hate the taste of their protein but I trust their protein to meet label claims.

The reason that their sales dropped in the period I was talking about was factually as I said - when protein prices spiked years ago, they did increase the prices on their 5 lb. proteins and sales declined because of it. That's why they reduced the sizes from their 5 lb. and 2 lb. to smaller sizes, to try to hit their old price points bc that's what their customer base wanted.

I just wanted to clarify that bc I never want any company to be accused of something like that that they're innocent of.

I actually thought about an Apple flavor if we do a clear protein or fruit flavored proteins. It may be possible to do it as a not clear protein and still be fruit flavored, the texture would just need to be different than the standard chocolate, vanilla, etc. ones. But people do now days tend to associate any fruit flavor ones with clear proteins. What I would probably do when the time comes would be to get samples done of it in a clear and in a regular and see which way it tasted the best and if there was a cost difference and then go with the one that makes the most sense.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you find them, let me know how you like them.

If you feel like it, try them and gluten free Oreos and let me know which you like better. I like both, but the Glutino ones I like because they aren't quite as rich.
I’ll grab some of both this weekend and let you know!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think you're either confused or read one of the false hit piece articles from back then on Optimum Nutrition.

Optimum Nutrition was never a part of the amino spiking issues back in the old days. There were some people that wrote articles and tried to put them down for using majority concentrate and making it seem like they were using more isolate than they really were, but they were well within their rights to label their products the way they did from a legal standpoint.

Optimum Nutrition is owned by Glanbia - who also owns BSN, IsoPure, Slimfast, and a lot of other brands and is a multi-billion dollar company. They are way too large to risk doing things like that - and they would never need to anyway because Glanbia is either the number one or number two dairy supplier in the country, so they have ample access to whey protein at prices that other companies just simply can't match.

I hate the taste of their protein but I trust their protein to meet label claims.

The reason that their sales dropped in the period I was talking about was factually as I said - when protein prices spiked years ago, they did increase the prices on their 5 lb. proteins and sales declined because of it. That's why they reduced the sizes from their 5 lb. and 2 lb. to smaller sizes, to try to hit their old price points bc that's what their customer base wanted.

I just wanted to clarify that bc I never want any company to be accused of something like that that they're innocent of.

I actually thought about an Apple flavor if we do a clear protein or fruit flavored proteins. It may be possible to do it as a not clear protein and still be fruit flavored, the texture would just need to be different than the standard chocolate, vanilla, etc. ones. But people do now days tend to associate any fruit flavor ones with clear proteins. What I would probably do when the time comes would be to get samples done of it in a clear and in a regular and see which way it tasted the best and if there was a cost difference and then go with the one that makes the most sense.
Oh that is good to know regarding Optimum Nutrition. I remember being shocked and thinking why would the number 1 protein company on the planet be risking stuff like that. I am with you though, I think their protein tastes bad and has bad consistency. So I was never a big fan. I have no idea what they taste like now, I would hope it has improved but going from your opinion it sounds like that might not be the case. Unless you haven't tried their stuff in years either.

On the Green Apple, I think would be fine with either considering all of the shakes I have had are the normal variety anyway.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Oh that is good to know regarding Optimum Nutrition. I remember being shocked and thinking why would the number 1 protein company on the planet be risking stuff like that. I am with you though, I think their protein tastes bad and has bad consistency. So I was never a big fan. I have no idea what they taste like now, I would hope it has improved but going from your opinion it sounds like that might not be the case. Unless you haven't tried their stuff in years either.

On the Green Apple, I think would be fine with either considering all of the shakes I have had are the normal variety anyway.
I haven't tried anything from Optimum in a few years other than their Hydro Whey and that was only for a brief period because they discontinued the flavor that I liked in it.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’ll grab some of both this weekend and let you know!
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

If you want to be creative, I'm going to do this myself this weekend, crumble up some of each brand and mix them in protein shakes and let me know if you can tell a difference and which you like better. I'm going to do this over the weekend and have someone do kind of a blind taste test with me and a few people to see which ones taste better or if can tell a difference.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

If you want to be creative, I'm going to do this myself this weekend, crumble up some of each brand and mix them in protein shakes and let me know if you can tell a difference and which you like better. I'm going to do this over the weekend and have someone do kind of a blind taste test with me and a few people to see which ones taste better or if can tell a difference.
That’s a good idea! I’ll let you know what I come up with.

NegativeMass

NegativeMass

Awards
I decided to try a new brand and got some Rule 1. Very impressed with the mint chocolate chip. Mixes great and tastes awesome. It's milder in the chocolate and medium on the mint.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I decided to try a new brand and got some Rule 1. Very impressed with the mint chocolate chip. Mixes great and tastes awesome. It's milder in the chocolate and medium on the mint.
Thank you for sharing that. That's interesting timing as I seriously just ordered a tub of that yesterday. Normally, I never change protein brands because I'm so allergic to gluten that even the smallest bit of cross contamination can cause an autoimmune flareup for me, but I've been craving mint chocolate chip and the brand I normally use doesn't make that flavor so I have one of these on the way. I like mint being more prevalent than chocolate myself.

The last time I strayed from my normal brands and tried a different brand it was for a mint choc chip that claimed to be gluten free, and it definitely was not. One serving put me into an autoimmune flareup and made me distrust some brands even more than I already did before.

A mint chocolate chip, like Baskin Robbins mint choc chip, where the mint is stronger tasting than the chocolate would be one of the flavors that I would love to do in a protein powder myself.

This protein project is one where I'm having to be really careful not to allow my personal taste buds and wants to interfere with smart business decisions. Bc I would love to have a good mint chocolate chip and I want to do a Key Lime Pie flavor.

NegativeMass

NegativeMass

Awards
Thank you for sharing that. That's interesting timing as I seriously just ordered a tub of that yesterday. Normally, I never change protein brands because I'm so allergic to gluten that even the smallest bit of cross contamination can cause an autoimmune flareup for me, but I've been craving mint chocolate chip and the brand I normally use doesn't make that flavor so I have one of these on the way. I like mint being more prevalent than chocolate myself.

The last time I strayed from my normal brands and tried a different brand it was for a mint choc chip that claimed to be gluten free, and it definitely was not. One serving put me into an autoimmune flareup and made me distrust some brands even more than I already did before.

A mint chocolate chip, like Baskin Robbins mint choc chip, where the mint is stronger tasting than the chocolate would be one of the flavors that I would love to do in a protein powder myself.

This protein project is one where I'm having to be really careful not to allow my personal taste buds and wants to interfere with smart business decisions. Bc I would love to have a good mint chocolate chip and I want to do a Key Lime Pie flavor.
I hope the SNS protein pans out because I'm ready to buy some!

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I hope the SNS protein pans out because I'm ready to buy some!
Thank you.

We tried the first round of flavor samples last week and they were very very good for first round samples.

The first round samples did have Sucralose and Acesulfame Potassium in them.

I know that some people (including me) don't care about that at all, but then some people may - so we requested a second round of samples with natural sweeteners to compare them to.

It's a difficult balance because you just cannot achieve as good of a flavor overall with natural sweeteners.

timmy8888

Awards
  • Established
I'm game to try any protein you put out, always top notch supplements. I also vote for a mint chocolate chip more emphasis on the mint. Would also love too see a somoa (coconut chocolate caramel) or salted caramel flavored protein. All those flavors in oatmeal and some Greek yogurt would hit the spot everytime.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I'm game to try any protein you put out, always top notch supplements. I also vote for a mint chocolate chip more emphasis on the mint. Would also love too see a somoa (coconut chocolate caramel) or salted caramel flavored protein. All those flavors in oatmeal and some Greek yogurt would hit the spot everytime.
I love mint chocolate chip. That and the coconut chocolate caramel are definitely on the list of ones I want to offer one day.

I really want to do a key lime pie flavor just because I don't think a good one has ever been done and I love that flavor.

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have seen some brands recently come out with a pistachio flavor, that'd be interesting 🤤

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
A cheap Protein that meets label claims and an unflavored isolate I can use for smoothies and recipes

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Have seen some brands recently come out with a pistachio flavor, that'd be interesting 🤤
I love Pistachio flavor so that is definitely on my list of ones I would love to offer.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
A cheap Protein that meets label claims and an unflavored isolate I can use for smoothies and recipes
Ketogenics IsoWhey has an unflavored Isolate that my daughter uses all the time in smoothies and recipes (if you're looking for a good one to cook with).

As with anything SNS, the goal would be to offer a top quality product at a great price. I can't say that it would be cheap because I would never cut any corners that some brands do to make proteins 'cheap', and a good quality protein just isn't cheap to make now days. It wouldn't be any more expensive than other quality brands, and we would do our best for it to be slightly less than most brands would be.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah your products are always on point and have used many through the years. By cheap I mean nothing crazy. Any isolate concentrate blend and no crazy expensive ingredients. I've used isopute unflavored isolate and it works well in smoothies. Also if you could make a banana flavor that taste good I'd be happy.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yeah your products are always on point and have used many through the years. By cheap I mean nothing crazy. Any isolate concentrate blend and no crazy expensive ingredients. I've used isopute unflavored isolate and it works well in smoothies. Also if you could make a banana flavor that taste good I'd be happy.
Thank you. I really appreciate that.

My thoughts are doing 2 products:
- A great quality Whey Protein Isolate
- A great quality Whey Protein Isolate/Micellar Casein blend.

We got in chocolate and vanilla flavor samples last week for both and they were great. They need a little bit of work, but even if we didn't change anything, they taste better than most I've ever tried.

I should have revised samples in the next 2 weeks - 1 set that will still have acesulfame potassium and sucralose and then one set that with natural sweeteners. Natural sweeteners increase the price and don't sweeten and taste as good, so there's a trade off.

NegativeMass

NegativeMass

Awards

We got in chocolate and vanilla flavor samples last week for both and they were great. They need a little bit of work, but even if we didn't change anything, they taste better than most I've ever tried.

I should have revised samples in the next 2 weeks - 1 set that will still have acesulfame potassium and sucralose and then one set that with natural sweeteners. Natural sweeteners increase the price and don't sweeten and taste as good, so there's a trade off.
I have no issue with sucralose or artificial sweetness. Stevia taste like crap and sugars add calories which is a negative for me. I keep processed sugars as low as possible so powders with sugar I don't buy.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I have no issue with sucralose or artificial sweetness. Stevia taste like crap and sugars add calories which is a negative for me. I keep processed sugars as low as possible so powders with sugar I don't buy.
Thank you. All feedback like this helps.

I don’t mind artificial sweeteners myself. I think it’s one of those things where most ppl don’t mind but the ones that do are very vocal about it.

There will be zero added sugar.

The WPI/Micellar blend will be zero carb.

The WPI will have no added sugar and be super low carb.

jgraves31

jgraves31

Awards

I’d rather have this “slightly higher price & reduced taste but naturally sweetened” than the artificially sweetened version. Looking forward to whatever you come up with / decide upon, though!

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
A perfectly flavoured Cinnabon would rock my world. Ive tried so many that is sub par that its sad. I am a snickerdoodle fan but thats because its the closest ive come to a cinnabon haha.

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
A perfectly flavoured Cinnabon would rock my world. Ive tried so many that is sub par that its sad. I am a snickerdoodle fan but thats because its the closest ive come to a cinnabon haha.
Do you not like the ghost one... since it's the official Collab and all?

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Do you not like the ghost one... since it's the official Collab and all?
Havent been able to find it in Sweden to a price that is reasonable. I found it for 999 SEK (+ shipping and customs) which is roughly 90 USD and im not paying that haha.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thank you.

We tried the first round of flavor samples last week and they were very very good for first round samples.

The first round samples did have Sucralose and Acesulfame Potassium in them.

I know that some people (including me) don't care about that at all, but then some people may - so we requested a second round of samples with natural sweeteners to compare them to.

It's a difficult balance because you just cannot achieve as good of a flavor overall with natural sweeteners.
Planning to do any with this mix ins? That's basically my favorite type of protein these days. Cookie pieces, chocolate shavings, etc.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’d rather have this “slightly higher price & reduced taste but naturally sweetened” than the artificially sweetened version. Looking forward to whatever you come up with / decide upon, though!
It will depend on how the flavor samples come back as to which way we will go.

I see us eventually having some that are naturally sweetened, I just can't promise the first flavors will be.

That's been a hard part of the protein thing to me is that I always like to try to please everyone and I know its just not possible with proteins.