DMV

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
Who here likes to go to the DMV?

Every damn time I go down there it takes about 3 hours to do something that takes 1 minute once your number is called it pisses me off...

Has anyone taken the drivers test for your motorcycle liscense in California? I heard its hard to do on a streetbike, because you have to make small turns without putting you foot down.

All in all I think they need to open up more DMV's or atleast have it open on Fridays so the lines aren't a mile long full of asians trying to pass there tests.

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
Only one of the best Primus songs ever...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M_jh4CA8a8"]YouTube- Primus - DMV[/nomedia]

Lyrics pretty much go inline with this thread :D

I've been to hell. I spell it...I spell it DMV
Anyone that's been there knows precisely what I mean
Stood there and I've waited and choked back the urge to scream
And if I had my druthers I'd screw a chimpanzee-call it pointless

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established

iDShaDoW

Awards
if you don't get their right when they open, it easily can kills hours of your day.
Around here the lines start before the DMV even opens up...

As for the motorcycle license road test, not sure if it's different for California than here in VA but I think what you've heard about is the figure 8 part of the test.

Basically they'll have a small rectangle either painted or taped on the ground in which you have to make a figure 8 on your motorcycle without putting your foot down.

Takes some practice so make sure to take some time getting it down before heading out there to take it. Requires a bit of throttle control and comfort with low speed maneuvering.

You open it up too much and you'll go wide and end up outside the box. You go too slow and you'll lay the bike down. And going wide or laying it down can give you an "Oh sh*t" reaction prompting you to put your foot down to re-balance the bike.

If you can, you should look into taking an MSF course (Motorcycle Safety Foundation). Around this time of year though they get filled up fast but it's worth the time and money.

They let you learn with other people on their beater bikes (like 250cc) and after you pass you get a card that's good for insurance discounts (was like 25% off insurance here in VA when I got mine). Also, having the card waived the road test requirement so I only had to take the computerized test.

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
Around here the lines start before the DMV even opens up...

As for the motorcycle license road test, not sure if it's different for California than here in VA but I think what you've heard about is the figure 8 part of the test.

Basically they'll have a small rectangle either painted or taped on the ground in which you have to make a figure 8 on your motorcycle without putting your foot down.

Takes some practice so make sure to take some time getting it down before heading out there to take it. Requires a bit of throttle control and comfort with low speed maneuvering.

You open it up too much and you'll go wide and end up outside the box. You go too slow and you'll lay the bike down. And going wide or laying it down can give you an "Oh sh*t" reaction prompting you to put your foot down to re-balance the bike.

If you can, you should look into taking an MSF course (Motorcycle Safety Foundation). Around this time of year though they get filled up fast but it's worth the time and money.

They let you learn with other people on their beater bikes (like 250cc) and after you pass you get a card that's good for insurance discounts (was like 25% off insurance here in VA when I got mine). Also, having the card waived the road test requirement so I only had to take the computerized test.
Hmm sweet, Looks like ill be practicing some figure 8s to prepare.

iDShaDoW

Awards
Yea, good luck with it man. Let us know how it goes. :thumbsup:

Even better too would be if you could somehow figure out exactly how big the box they want you to do a figure 8 inside of is.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
California DMV's are crap ! I thought I was slick by arriving at 7:30 AM but the line was longer then all the lines of all the night clubs on a Saturday night. Try to do your stuff online or through the mail if possible.

Chops89

Chops89

Awards
  • Established
The DMV near me wasn't too bad when I first got my license. However, I had to renew it recently and I spent a few hours sitting in an extremely uncomfortable plastic chair. Of course, just when they were getting up to my number, the cameras (across the state) went down. Awesome. I got to sit for another half hour until the system went back online. Then it was another 15 minutes until I could finally renew my license. I hate the DMV.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
try having a CDL here in RI, only ONE DMV let's you do anything with a CDL...and the lines are crazy long and when they see I have a CDL they give me the look like.."no way"......Yup move over dumb ass I do have a CDL...

Misnerwest

Awards
"Has anyone taken the drivers test for your motorcycle liscense in California? I heard its hard to do on a streetbike, because you have to make small turns without putting you foot down."

The motorcycle course is usually in the DMV parking lot. Just go after hours and practice driving around the painted circle. Ask the different motorcycle dealers which city has the easiest test ( some circles are just a bit smaller and tighter than others).

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
Yea, good luck with it man. Let us know how it goes. :thumbsup:

Even better too would be if you could somehow figure out exactly how big the box they want you to do a figure 8 inside of is.
Ya Im gonna have to drive about a hour away to a different DMV to doit because the one I was at yesterday is the only DMV around here that doesnt do motorcycle driving tests.:censored:

California DMV's are crap ! I thought I was slick by arriving at 7:30 AM but the line was longer then all the lines of all the night clubs on a Saturday night. Try to do your stuff online or through the mail if possible.
Ya doesnt matter when you get there, the DMV always wins. I'm gonna try to do everything online now.

"Has anyone taken the drivers test for your motorcycle liscense in California? I heard its hard to do on a streetbike, because you have to make small turns without putting you foot down."

The motorcycle course is usually in the DMV parking lot. Just go after hours and practice driving around the painted circle. Ask the different motorcycle dealers which city has the easiest test ( some circles are just a bit smaller and tighter than others).
Ya I'm gonna go test it out soon when it gets a little warmer out and less chance of rain haha

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
try having a CDL here in RI, only ONE DMV let's you do anything with a CDL...and the lines are crazy long and when they see I have a CDL they give me the look like.."no way"......Yup move over dumb ass I do have a CDL...
haha tough chickkk:drive:

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
The DMV screwed me over again....they gave me a provisional license because mine expire on my birthday, but when I went down there to renew it they said I need to get my bike license first then they will make me one.
I went down to Viejas tonight to do some gambling and went to buy a beer and the lady wouldnt sell me one cuz my license was expired...such bull****!

pool_shark

pool_shark

Awards
Last year I went to get my driver's license renewed.
They told me that my name was flagged and I couldn't get it renewed until I had it cleared up.

It turned out that there was a guy in Michigan with the same first and last name, with the same birthday, and the police were after him. So instead of just flagging his name (he also had a middle name), they flagged everyone in the country with the same first and last name, born on that day, and none of us could get anything from the DMV.

I don't have a middle name, and I also have a suffix, but that didn't seem to matter. I had to go to a particular DMV to get them to remove the flag. As soon as I walked up to the counter and told them what happened, the lady said, "we knew it wasn't you, but we still had to flag it".

I had to take a day off of work to get that crap sorted out because the DMV is incompetent.

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
Last year I went to get my driver's license renewed.
They told me that my name was flagged and I couldn't get it renewed until I had it cleared up.

It turned out that there was a guy in Michigan with the same first and last name, with the same birthday, and the police were after him. So instead of just flagging his name (he also had a middle name), they flagged everyone in the country with the same first and last name, born on that day, and none of us could get anything from the DMV.

I don't have a middle name, and I also have a suffix, but that didn't seem to matter. I had to go to a particular DMV to get them to remove the flag. As soon as I walked up to the counter and told them what happened, the lady said, "we knew it wasn't you, but we still had to flag it".

I had to take a day off of work to get that crap sorted out because the DMV is incompetent.
wow lol that blows

iDShaDoW

Awards
Hmm, that sounds wrong. Why would they deny you a renewal when you only have intent to get an M class license?

For all they know, you could intend to get an M class license a year from now.

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
I know its really weird...cuz it like forces me to pass my motorcycle license test...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
hamper19 General Chat 1