critique my full body WO

rothyman

Awards
I've been lifting for 4 years now. Currently I'm doing a 5x5 Push/Pull program, but I want to switch to a full body workout. I feel like I'm getting too big in my arms, while my core is still small.

5'8 175lbs

Mon.
Squats 1x20
Flat Bench 5x5
Inc Bench 5x5
Bent Over Rows 5x5
Hams 3x10

Wed.
Squats 1x20
Deadlifts 5x5
Mil. Press 5x5
Hang Cleans 3x10
Lat Pulldowns 3x10

Fri.
Squats 1x20
Flat Bench 5x5
Inc. Bench 5x5
Bent Over Rows 5x5
Calves/Quads

Cardio - 10min jog before each workout
30min cardio once a week
Abs 2x week

Be honest - this is my first shot at putting a full body routine together so I don't mind criticism.

Main Goals :

Strength
Symmetry (larger core to match arms)
Flexibility
Muscle Tone

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
as a trainer i used the push pull method with alot of people....i do it myself often as well.......the other being rotary,compound,rotary,

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
the thing i see is when you mix upper body with lower your blood rushes up,down,up....usually causing nausia......i've seen many people i trained throw up from using similar protocalls...........i say pic two muscles a day and use the push pull method.... back and chest ,bi's and tri's, quads and hammys, shoulders and back .....

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
I've been lifting for 4 years now. Currently I'm doing a 5x5 Push/Pull program, but I want to switch to a full body workout. I feel like I'm getting too big in my arms, while my core is still small.
That just means that you're focusing too much on arms. I'm not sure a full-body workout is the answer.

Problems I see with your routine -

Squats 3 times a week? Ouch.

You are doing both flat and incline 2x/week but all you're doing for shoulders is military 1x/week. You're neglecting shoulders.

rothyman

Awards
That just means that you're focusing too much on arms. I'm not sure a full-body workout is the answer.

Problems I see with your routine -

Squats 3 times a week? Ouch.

You are doing both flat and incline 2x/week but all you're doing for shoulders is military 1x/week. You're neglecting shoulders.
So I've decided to Squat 2x week (Mon/Fri).

Also, I will be doing less chest.

Monday - Flat Bench
Friday - Inc. Bench

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
So I've decided to Squat 2x week (Mon/Fri).

Also, I will be doing less chest.

Monday - Flat Bench
Friday - Inc. Bench

Why are you not doing squats in 5x5?

1x20 for squats is 'speed' work, not really growth work.

Move the weights up progressively at 5x5 and your lower body and core will catch up.

X

smoundzou

smoundzou

Awards
Overall I think the routine looks pretty solid.. Below is a similar schedule with a few changes... I left the squats as is.. I figured you have your reasons for doing 1x20, but I would consider changing that do either a 3X8 4X6 or 5X5..

I might consider not squats on Wednesday.. with deads.. depending ont he amount of weight you're pushing.. if over 350lbs.. I would definatly consider replacing the squats on wednesday with something less taxing on the body..

Mon.
Squats 1x20
Flat Bench 5x5
Hang Clean & Press5x5
Bent Over Rows 5x5
Hams 3x10

Wed.
Squats 1x20
Deadlifts 5x5
Incline Bench 5x5
Hang Cleans & Press 5x5
Weighted WG Chins 3x10

Fri.
Squats 1x20
Flat Bench 5x5
Arnold DB press 5x5
Bent Over Rows 5x5
Calves/Quads

rothyman

Awards
Overall I think the routine looks pretty solid.. Below is a similar schedule with a few changes... I left the squats as is.. I figured you have your reasons for doing 1x20, but I would consider changing that do either a 3X8 4X6 or 5X5..

I might consider not squats on Wednesday.. with deads.. depending ont he amount of weight you're pushing.. if over 350lbs.. I would definatly consider replacing the squats on wednesday with something less taxing on the body..

Mon.
Squats 1x20
Flat Bench 5x5
Hang Clean & Press5x5
Bent Over Rows 5x5
Hams 3x10

Wed.
Squats 1x20
Deadlifts 5x5
Incline Bench 5x5
Hang Cleans & Press 5x5
Weighted WG Chins 3x10

Fri.
Squats 1x20
Flat Bench 5x5
Arnold DB press 5x5
Bent Over Rows 5x5
Calves/Quads
Hitting Chest 3x a week is ok?

smoundzou

smoundzou

Awards
Right now I'm in the 3rd week of doing a full body.. It's been over 10 years since I've even considered one.. but I think it's perfectly fine.. The only thing I would do is..

Monday...light
Wed.... heavy
Friday...light

following week reverse..
Monday....heavy
Wed...Light
Friday.. heavy..

Taking out the extra exercises and only doing 1 x chest exercise 3 days is fine IMO... but like i said.. I would consider doing light/heavy days.. if it's too much.. you'll soon know it..

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Right now I'm in the 3rd week of doing a full body.. It's been over 10 years since I've even considered one.. but I think it's perfectly fine.. The only thing I would do is..

Monday...light
Wed.... heavy
Friday...light

following week reverse..
Monday....heavy
Wed...Light
Friday.. heavy..

Taking out the extra exercises and only doing 1 x chest exercise 3 days is fine IMO... but like i said.. I would consider doing light/heavy days.. if it's too much.. you'll soon know it..
This is interesting. I've been doing 5x5 (gradual progression with each set), so not really light/heavy/light. What would you consider a 'light' 5x5? 60% 5RM? or Something like 5x5x225 vs. 1x5x205/225/255/275/295

X

smoundzou

smoundzou

Awards
Right now I'm doing a full body 3x per week hybrid HST work type routine..

My sets are constantly changing..2X12, 3x8, 3x6 etc.. I use an excel spreadsheet to keep up with progression but it can be difficult when you're constantly changing reps schemes weekly..

I guess to answer your question, instead of doing a light 5X5 on light days.. you might consider doing a 3x8 or which ever you prefer just up the reps and lower the sets.. that way you can keep your weight fairly consistent with you 5X5 and it dosn't get too complecated.. I think you might get better muscle strenght/growth by mixing up the set/rep range.. I don't go by the old, trick the muscles bit but I do think constant change does tend to better stimulate muscle fibers.. especially with an intermediate / advanced lifter..

This is interesting. I've been doing 5x5 (gradual progression with each set), so not really light/heavy/light. What would you consider a 'light' 5x5? 60% 5RM? or Something like 5x5x225 vs. 1x5x205/225/255/275/295

X

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Right now I'm doing a full body 3x per week hybrid HST work type routine..

My sets are constantly changing..2X12, 3x8, 3x6 etc.. I use an excel spreadsheet to keep up with progression but it can be difficult when you're constantly changing reps schemes weekly..

I guess to answer your question, instead of doing a light 5X5 on light days.. you might consider doing a 3x8 or which ever you prefer just up the reps and lower the sets.. that way you can keep your weight fairly consistent with you 5X5 and it dosn't get too complecated.. I think you might get better muscle strenght/growth by mixing up the set/rep range.. I don't go by the old, trick the muscles bit but I do think constant change does tend to better stimulate muscle fibers.. especially with an intermediate / advanced lifter..

I have been doing 3x8-10 for my 'assistance' work, but not for the compound lifts. I think that I will try changing up the constant 5x5 routine with some 3x8's when the gains slow again.

Thanks!

X

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Focus on deadlifts, your core will catch up

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established

Mon.
Squats 1x20
Flat Bench 5x5
Hang Clean & Press5x5
Bent Over Rows 5x5
Hams 3x10

Wed.
Squats 1x20
Deadlifts 5x5
Incline Bench 5x5
Hang Cleans & Press 5x5
Weighted WG Chins 3x10

Fri.
Squats 1x20
Flat Bench 5x5
Arnold DB press 5x5
Bent Over Rows 5x5
Calves/Quads
Ive been doing this fullbody routine for nearly 2 months, and have lost over 20lbs and added some really good mass. Also have ran some activate x, rpm, etc...

MON, WED, FRI. (repeat)

chest : incline db bench press (3x6reps)
back : BB rows (3x6reps)
tris : CG bench press (3x6reps)
bis : incline DB curl (3x6reps)
legs : back or front squats (3x6reps)
shoulders : arnold press or front lat raises (3x6reps)
core work : 3sets of situps and medicine ball twist work.

*** I will switch up the routine on occassion....say like this....instead of the following...

incline db bench press (bb incline bench press)
BB rows (lat pulldowns)
cg bench press (pressdowns or overhead ext.)
incline db curl (straight bar curl)
etc....etc....

earlyriser73

earlyriser73

Awards
Try and keep Hang Cleans at the start of a workout as they are an explosive movement. If you are going to use heavy weight you should also try to keep reps under 5, as keeping good form with heavy weight for 10 reps would be near impossible. Good Luck!