Creatine and Hair Loss

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
I’m working out again after some time off, and would like to start supplementing with creatine again cause it works very well for me

Although I get a lot of the usual side effects from it, even from advanced versions: lots of water retention, and the last time I took it my hair started shedding

Especially since 2020 I have been progressively losing more hair, and would definitely like to keep what is left

I know the correlation in between creatine and DHT and I believe it may affect me, so: is there any other product or supplement I could take alongside creatine to counteract the raise in DHT levels?

Or (doubtful): any solid replacement for creatine in terms of strength and muscle volumization?

Thanks for your time!

S

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Try some ArA, good stuff and CAN have some beneficial results for hair. BMP is another solid choice.

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Your posting history suggests that you react poorly to a lot of supplement (Caffeine, ashwagandha, creatine etc) so maybe that was what he was refering to?
I react pretty great from creatine, just wanna preserve hair as much as I can

Regarding caffeine yea can’t do much about it, I really tried but can’t get used to it

I have lots of food intolerances but I’ve always worked around them with not too many issues

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I react pretty great from creatine, just wanna preserve hair as much as I can

Regarding caffeine yea can’t do much about it, I really tried but can’t get used to it

I have lots of food intolerances but I’ve always worked around them with not too many issues
Amino acids won’t get you hair loss !! No study ether to your opinions .

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Amino acids won’t get you hair loss !! No study ether to your opinions .
It’s not my opinion - I actually experienced hair loss while taking creatine, and the shedding stopped when I stopped taking it.

Also, there’s plenty of people who have had blood work before and after creatine use and their DHT levels were much superior, so again not just an opinion

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I personally won't use Creatine Monohydrate because I hold so much fluid retention on it. I would suggest you try something like Magnesium Creatine Chelate (Creatine Magnapower) or Creatine HCI. It allows you to take a lower dosage so in theory if you are having a DHT response, it shouldn't be as much so. If I were you, I would try Magnesium Creatine Chelate first because the magnesium can also help with some other health benefits as well.

For anyone unfamiliar, Creatine Magnapower is a clinically researched form of Creatine patented by Albion Labs. The recommended daily dose is 2.5 grams and is backed by great studies showing good increases in strength, power, performance, etc. There is no need for a loading phase and most people don't experience the bloating or fluid retention that they do with many other forms of creatine.

We make a Magnesium Creatine Chelate powder but are out of stock at the moment but its shipping to us this week, so we should have it back in stock next week. We also make a Creatine HCI in capsule and powder form.

Magnesium Creatine Chelate Powder:

Creatine HCI Caps:

Creatine HCI Powder:

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
I personally won't use Creatine Monohydrate because I hold so much fluid retention on it. I would suggest you try something like Magnesium Creatine Chelate (Creatine Magnapower) or Creatine HCI. It allows you to take a lower dosage so in theory if you are having a DHT response, it shouldn't be as much so. If I were you, I would try Magnesium Creatine Chelate first because the magnesium can also help with some other health benefits as well.
For reasons beyond my comprehension, Hcl actually gives me insane stomach acid issues - Krealkalyn doesn’t give me this issue and works just fine on me. Still think the DHT is raised in the same way

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Try the Nizoral shampoo a couple times a week

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Try the Nizoral shampoo a couple times a week
Actually been using Purad’or shampoo for 3 months and it didn’t change the situation at all, so not really sure here.

S

slickwillie

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I took a break from creatine for a few years, and then decided to start up again a couple of years ago. I decided to test the small study of South African rugby players which supports the notion that creatine increases DHT. So I first had a baseline test, and then had 2 follow up tests- 30 days after starting creatine, and then 60 days after starting creatine. My DHT levels never changed. So I call BS on that study.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
For reasons beyond my comprehension, Hcl actually gives me insane stomach acid issues - Krealkalyn doesn’t give me this issue and works just fine on me. Still think the DHT is raised in the same way
That's why I said in my initial post that in your situation, I would try the Magnesium Creatine Chelate first over the HCI; although both are great forms. But I've never heard of anyone having bad stomach issues from HCI, but everyone responds differently to different things and you seem sensitive to a lot.

That's odd that Krealkalyn doesn't give you that issue from a scientific perspective. But hey, whatever works for you. Krealkalyn does absolutely nothing for me except bother my acid reflux.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I took a break from creatine for a few years, and then decided to start up again a couple of years ago. I decided to test the small study of South African rugby players which supports the notion that creatine increases DHT. So I first had a baseline test, and then had 2 follow up tests- 30 days after starting creatine, and then 60 days after starting creatine. My DHT levels never changed. So I call BS on that study.
I think its an example of now days you can find some obscure study to say almost anything you want it to when it comes to a lot of things. There were so many uncontrolled variables in that study; it struck me as possibly having an agenda, but who knows.

S

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Actually been using Purad’or shampoo for 3 months and it didn’t change the situation at all, so not really sure here.
I started purad a few weeks ago and I feel it's made my hair worse, unless it's encouraging a healthy shed

A

alvin1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
instead of creatine take ATP or ElevATP or Shilajit or cordyceps and you should the same benefit as creatine from what I understand.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
instead of creatine take ATP or ElevATP or Shilajit or cordyceps and you should the same benefit as creatine from what I understand.
PEAK ATP, ElevATP, and PrimaVie are are great products but they aren't exactly the same as Creatine.
Cordyceps is only as good as the raw material the brand provides you with - there are some good ones and some useless ones; but it may help with endurance but won't provide the rest of the benefits of creatine. I personally prefer PEAK02 over Cordyceps.

All of them make good options to stack with creatine though.

We've been considering doing a capsule formula with Magnesium Creatine Chelate and a few other cool ingredients in there to cover muscle building and ATP from a lot of different angles.

The upcoming daily use ergogenic will have creatine in it - and I'll specify that it will NOT have monohydrate haha.

T

tenorguy33

Awards
  • First Up Vote
PEAK ATP, ElevATP, and PrimaVie are are great products but they aren't exactly the same as Creatine.
Cordyceps is only as good as the raw material the brand provides you with - there are some good ones and some useless ones; but it may help with endurance but won't provide the rest of the benefits of creatine. I personally prefer PEAK02 over Cordyceps.

All of them make good options to stack with creatine though.

We've been considering doing a capsule formula with Magnesium Creatine Chelate and a few other cool ingredients in there to cover muscle building and ATP from a lot of different angles.

The upcoming daily use ergogenic will have creatine in it - and I'll specify that it will NOT have monohydrate haha.
Thank god! This product is likely the one I’m most excited for (especially so knowing it won’t have the mono version of creatine), although you guys have a ton of cool things coming that I look forward to.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thank god! This product is likely the one I’m most excited for (especially so knowing it won’t have the mono version of creatine), although you guys have a ton of cool things coming that I look forward to.
Thank you. I can't take Creatine Monohydrate myself so likely the only way you'd see Creatine Monohydrate in something by us is if we decide to start doing a Creatine Monohydrate powder again. I don't see us ever using it in formulas.

We already offer Creatine HCI in capsules and powder and then Magnesium Creatine Chelate in powder. We've had some people ask us about doing a Magnesium Creatine Chelate in capsules and I thought about it, but then also thought about maybe doing it as a formula if we did. So if you or anyone has any suggestions for something you'd like to see in there, please let me know.

P

Perseusdeus

Awards
I lost some hair on a cycle of rad 140 and yk11 and stopped it. But then i still noticed more hair loss which got worse when i bumped up my creatine use , i also had the bloating so I decided to stop using that. To reverse the hair loss, I mixed my own micro nutrient powders of about 10g a day of MSM, 30 mg zinc, 200 mg magnesium, and 500 mcg chromium, and 6mg boron and selenium is in there too. also take paba, biotin, keratin and collagen. now my hair is growing back. I take 14g/day vegetarian sourced organic bcaa because of indigestion issues with meat and seem to do well on this combo and decided to give up on creatine.

Last edited:
Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ya I quit doing creatine on its own. Back in the day it was one of the best options, now there's better imo.

That being said I am always looking for stuff to keep my hair nice. I been doing alpecin and super cholesterol.

I heard in another thread that follidrone is good for your hair I think ? Love that stuff regardless of the hair part