Counting Calories: Cooking Oil

avega17

Awards
  • Established
Should people include cooking oil calories in their macro totals? How much of the oil is actually transferred to the food? I believe it depends on the type of food as well. For example, I have been counting the ~1 tbsp of coconut oil that I use to cook my eggs in, but now I don't think it's worthwhile because I know that I'm not ingesting 100% of it. I consume other oils throughout the day, but never bothered to include those in my totals, so it got me thinking.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Dont sweat the small stuff.... if its a huge deal then dont cook with it, instead consume the spoonful directly. With oils and whatnot I just use the serving macros not what I think I actually consumed

avega17

Awards
  • Established
Dont sweat the small stuff.... if its a huge deal then dont cook with it, instead consume the spoonful directly. With oils and whatnot I just use the serving macros not what I think I actually consumed
Yea, that's what I've been doing. But if I don't include them at all, I'd be able to get them else, say another serving of nuts or something.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Should people include cooking oil calories in their macro totals? How much of the oil is actually transferred to the food? I believe it depends on the type of food as well. For example, I have been counting the ~1 tbsp of coconut oil that I use to cook my eggs in, but now I don't think it's worthwhile because I know that I'm not ingesting 100% of it. I consume other oils throughout the day, but never bothered to include those in my totals, so it got me thinking.
Yes, you are using oil which has over 100 kcals a TBSP
Also Olive Oil if used when cooking is not the most ideal thing to do

Olive oil has a lower smoke point—the point at which an oil literally begins to smoke (olive oil’s is between 365° and 420°F)—than some other oils. When you heat olive oil to its smoke point, the beneficial compounds in oil start to degrade, and potentially health-harming compounds form.

Gokmog

Gokmog

Awards
Do you have a small digital scale? You know that one tablespoon is 15 grams... take a kleenex/napkin and wipe off the residual oil left in the pan. You've probably already weighed the kleenex/napkin/paper-towel to determine the tare weight... now weigh it again with the oils that were wiped off the pan! Presto! Get an idea for how much oil is left in the pan after cooking from doing that a few times and subtract that from the known amount you initially applied. Presto, dietary clarity.

You're welcome.