cottage cheese question

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
I know the benefits of eating cottage cheese and i try to eat 8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) of 1% cottage cheese before bed with 25 grams of micellar casein protein every night. The problem is i HATE the taste of cottage cheese i hold my nose and immediately drink water after each tablespoon
any suggestions as to a way i could prepare the cottage cheese or mix it with something that might make it more pallitable to me? or should i just screw the cottage cheese and take in 50 grams of micellar casein before bed and a slice of whole wheat bread?

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
If you don't wanna add any calories add some cinnamon and Splenda. If you don't mind adding calories add that plus some raisins. If you wanna add a ton of calories add either pancake syrup or brown sugar plus raisins. Either way... Mmmmmm :thumbsup: I wouldn't use that last option before bed though, maybe post workout, if at all.

While bulking I eat cottage cheese with raisins, some All Bran Extra fiber, and sugar free (they use sugar alcohols, still lower calories) pancake syrup, first thing when I wake up. Sometimes I'll eat it post workout too, with extra oatmeal. I usually train about 2-3 hours after waking.

It's far from perfect, but I get this stuff for free, and being the poor bastard that I am... :rant:

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
I can't stand cottage cheese. I've tried several times and I actually get ill and start to gag.

Instead, I've been doing a protein shake (or food) and a tablespoon of EFA's before bed. This seems to do its job well.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
All the lactose in cottage cheese before bed isn't optimal anyway.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
All the lactose in cottage cheese before bed isn't optimal anyway.
the sodium isnt too great either. i put splenda to sweeten the taste up. If i have some during the day, i throw in some berries, granola, or other fruits with the splenda.
Sage

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
You could try switching brands. I couldn't stand one kind, but switched to a more expensive kind and it was tolerable.

Cogar

Awards
  • Established
That is true, there is a big taste difference between some brands. There is also a small taste difference from carton to carton in the same brand.

SonOfThor

Awards
Yeah I eat mine with fruits.. Great stuff.. Mix in a little jam if you don't mind the sugar (I do mind). But fresh seasonal fruit is a great way, mix in some splenda too.. Strawberries, blueberries, peaches, etc... Good stuff..

I am sick in that I also sometimes throw in a can of that flavoured tuna from clover leaf... Lemon dill or Spicy Thai are my fave's... Really adds lots of flavour and some protien to your cottage cheese. Just a thought

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
Throw in a can of tuna fish.

I swear it's not as gross as it sounds.

IHateGymMorons

Banned
Awards
Switch brands. Also, unless your on some kinda strict diet, I wouldn't worry about "all that lactose", there's not much to worry about in 1/2 cup.

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I love cottage cheese mixed with low carb yogurt and fiber one or oatmeal. I've heard you can rinse and strain the curds to wash away some of the lactose, but I've never tried.

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I either have cottage cheese sandwiches on WW bread, or before bed, I mix 150g with 20g peanuts.

That gives a nice 25/5/10(PCF) pre bed snack

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
As far as brands and taste/texture go, I really like Breakstone. I believe it has a little more lactose/carbs than others, though.

boby-at

Awards
no idea how does the cottage cheese in usa taste but i mix it either with fatfree smoked and chopped turkey meat or with veggies (carots and peas, i buy them frozen) - hate everything sweet so I found this to work for me. A "normal" cottage cheese is however not so bad if its fat enough :) (no less than 20 % abs)

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
the sodium isnt too great either. Sage
This might sound really stupid, but does it ever seem like cottage cheese bloats you more so than other high sodium foods? I always feel like a fatass after eating a bunch of it. I've been eating it everyday for the past week or two, now. And I'm bloated as ****! I figured it was because my estradiol was 128pg/ml last time I checked it, but now I'm starting to wonder... :think:

propho

Awards
  • Established
lately i've been taking fat free cottage cheese with pineapples.. to me nothing beats that flavor.. reminds me of a pina colada..

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
ok i tried the cottage cheese mixed with a can of chicken of the sea tuna ... i'm now convinced that you were playing a cruel joke on me because that was easily the most disgusting thing i've could imagine ever eating short of slurping down elephant crap

i think i may just give up on cottage cheese its not worth the near vomitting it always entails thanks for all the suggestions guys

glen

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Ugh!...that's one disgusting mixture. I mix it with pineapple, peaches, or berries. I try to do fresh fruit, but can't always get what I want.

PastorofMuppets

Awards
When bulking I drop some honey in it and add a little natural peanut butter or almond butter.

But I eat the stuff like it's nothing anyways, taste never bothered me.

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
I either cover it with fresh ground pepper or mix in unsalted sunflower seeds. I eat cottage cheese every day.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
ok i tried the cottage cheese mixed with a can of chicken of the sea tuna ... i'm now convinced that you were playing a cruel joke on me because that was easily the most disgusting thing i've could imagine ever eating short of slurping down elephant crap

i think i may just give up on cottage cheese its not worth the near vomitting it always entails thanks for all the suggestions guys

glen
LOL. That's what all my friends say when i recommend it to them. I eat a can of tuna, and half cup of cottage cheese everyday. I know there's somebody else out there with taste buds as messed up as mine.

Mike Oxlong

Awards
If you're sugar conscious, try it with 'no sugar added' jam. There still are carbs in it but not too many if you use ~2Tbsp. 2.5g of carbs/1TBSP

LittleChina

Awards
Usually it's the texture of Cottage Cheese that makes some people gag. Just by adding a bit of Splenda and putting it in a blender and getting it nice and smoothed out makes all the difference in the world, it comes out with the consitency of yogurt and if you add some low GI fruit like berries it taste just like yogurt to me.

9volt

9volt

Awards
Eating cottage cheese by itself is pretty difficult. Like everyone's been saying, you gotta mix it with something. I like to think of it as a dipping sauce. I'll cook a turkey or chicken breast, cut it up into bite size pieces, and just dip the pieces into the cottage cheese like it's ketchup. I know, sounds a little gross, but it makes it a lot easier to go down.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
i used to put sugar free yogurt in there... yum yum

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I eat a couple cups plain everyday also. Love the stuff.

weeenisss

Board Supporter
Awards
i used to eat so much as a kid, plain always, loved it, started eating it again, still tastes good, just cant hold as much down, never even considered mixing it with anything, army gave it to us when i was in a few years back, not sure if it really was cottage cheese but it tasted different, i wouldnt force yourself to eat it, find something else you enjoy

your2slow

Awards
strawberries and granola. You can't beat it although the granloa may have to go because of the sugar.

tommy36p

Awards
A good way to eat cottage cheese, in my opinion, is to cut up some apple, banana, peaches, etc...whatever you prefer, put some nuts in it...makes for a good meal and the taste of cottage cheese is very minimal due to the fruits mixed in. Experiment with it man...glad to know you are giving it a shot even though you can't stand it....

bronx220

bronx220

Awards
i just mix it with some protein powder and peanuts.maybe some oat bran in the am.might try the tuna for lunch tomm.hmmmmmmmmm

taffer

Awards
when i first tried cottage cheese i hated it, but i mixed it with oats, and a little milk, now i cant get enough!

gsteclipse97

Awards
im not a big fan of plain but i buy the kind with fruit premixed and i can eat that easily

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
This may sound unappetizing, but trut me, it is good. Mix cottage cheese with sugar free lime jello (when it is half way set) then add in some walnuts, a fruit of chice and let it set in the fridge. This is good when you get a sweet tooth , but don't want to be too bad.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
i mix in blueberry low fat surar free yogurt..cant even taste the stuff after that.

R-Mac

R-Mac

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I love it plain too...but I also like to mix it up, so I will throw in a 1/2 - 1 scoop of choc Optimum whey protein, I also thow in a tablespoon of natty no salt added PB in there as well.....
another option is chopping up celery and mixing it in with it

but as far as fruit goes IMO, adding blueberrys in there takes the cake, its amazing

FRANK

Awards
Cottage cheese protein shake

In a blender place 1 pound of ccheese, 2 TBS. natty pb, 2 cups skim milk, 1 cup raw oats and a banana or cut up apple.
Blend it up..add alittle more milk or juice or water to thin it down , just so you can make it easy to swallow. Its a great way to get in that ever so important meal in a hurry. I only get a 15 minute break in the morning at work. The blender is
my best bud. 1100 cal. 82 g.pro. and alot of carbs!
Just try eating this many cals w/o a blender within 15 mins.
lol , good luck! as for you girlie-men who " gag - dont like the taste" GO HARDCORE ! OR WHY BOTHER? Now i dont know about you guys, but im not going hardcore under the squat bar only to under eat later, I mean how can someone take the pain? and not take the taste? even when its a FACT the food makes them STRONGER!

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I never realized how many people can't eat it plain....:think:

I can sit down, grab a spoon and go to town on the stuff...But hey, I've found some might interesting recipes on this board I'm gonna have to try ;) Thanks all!

Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
ever try 2%.. seriouslly ive tried 1% and there's no way I could eat it plain .. but 2%'s taste is a billion times better.. I actually eat almiost half a large container at night right out the tub... oh also differnt brands tend to have differnt taste's

IdahoSpud

Awards
I'd suggest trying several different brands. Some of them suck outright (bitter and grainy), while others don't have objectionable taste.

Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
if you have Breakstone's brand in a red tub in your supermarket i suggest that one.. the 2% is really good.. they ran out of that one once so i tried another brand and the taste was horrible...

PastorofMuppets

Awards
I feel like I've found my own niche cottage cheese anonymous meeting.

I can inhale an entire container of cottage cheese when bulking in seconds. When bulking I'll throw in some trail mix or dried fruit.

Never really had a problem with the taste, it just becomes like a stomach filling protein source.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
I like it plain, tastes good. I've also tried it with pineapple and is really good; unsalted sunflower seeds is good too. I bet coffee flavored would be interesting for the non-sweet non-salty tastebuds...

deftone

Awards
Switch brands. Also, unless your on some kinda strict diet, I wouldn't worry about "all that lactose", there's not much to worry about in 1/2 cup.
try friendship brand. they are a dairy in NY and they make all sorts of variations of cottage cheese. from low sodium to whipped cottage cheese, definatly the best i have tasted

Last edited:
hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
I'd suggest different brands too, and also try the opposite size...

like if you are getting large curd try small curd, or vise versa.

and I agree that 1% or less is horrible, 2% is good though.

I have eaten some eggs with mine and it is pretty close to a cheese omelette.

h19