Compounded medication expires quicker??

jiu jitsu

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
So I noticed that my medication, whether it be testosterone, clomiphene, or anastrozole Always has a discard date of around four months from the time I received it in the mail. I found this strange because typical pharmacy medication is usually good for two or three years. So I gave My HRT clinic a call and asked why this was the case. The representative told me that compounded medicine degrades much more quickly.

Can anyone confirm if this is true? And if so why is that the case?

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
hmm I know that you're supposed to keep un-reconstituted peptides vials like bpc-157 in the freezer

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
"Unlike registered medicines, compounded preparations have not generally been assessed for safety and efficacy. Their use is off label and is based on extrapolation from the component ingredients.

Short-term expiry dates are provided for compounded products unless their stability has been assessed." - NIH Site

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
hmm I know that you're supposed to keep un-reconstituted peptides vials like bpc-157 in the freezer
They just need a dry cool dark place, you don't need to freeze them unless your trying to store them for years

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
So I noticed that my medication, whether it be testosterone, clomiphene, or anastrozole Always has a discard date of around four months from the time I received it in the mail. I found this strange because typical pharmacy medication is usually good for two or three years. So I gave My HRT clinic a call and asked why this was the case. The representative told me that compounded medicine degrades much more quickly.

Can anyone confirm if this is true? And if so why is that the case?
Just probably the compounding pharmacies liability stuff. And remember, most things are good way past there shelf life. I don't really like using injectable oils past the life because the oil itself has a shelf life. But most properly stored orals are good for decades

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
"Unlike registered medicines, compounded preparations have not generally been assessed for safety and efficacy. Their use is off label and is based on extrapolation from the component ingredients.

Short-term expiry dates are provided for compounded products unless their stability has been assessed." - NIH Site

jiu jitsu

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

so this means yes. theyre good past exp?

jiu jitsu

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
It means that they "don't know".
... But I don't see why they wouldn't be.
I agree with Smont here.
Got it. I got Enclomiphene just yesterday from my HRT clinic, says to discard in 4 months, but planning on using it for fertility reasons in 6 months, think it should still be good to go?

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Got it. I got Enclomiphene just yesterday from my HRT clinic, says to discard in 4 months, but planning on using it for fertility reasons in 6 months, think it should still be good to go?
Absolutely. (IMO)
Just keep it in a temperature controlled place, away from sunlight and moisture..