Common but complicated question

riseabove5

riseabove5

Awards
I've been weight trading for about 7 years, 5 days a week with a week or two break every 4 months or so. When I started weight lifting I was a skinny kid at 6'1 160-170lbs and it was difficult to keep the weight on, and gain muscle mass so I've always done very minimal cardio if not any to get the most out of my mass gains. Now I'm 6'1 at about 240lbs and probably 15-20% body fat. My goal is to get to at or below 10% body fat. I recognize that I don't have the best diet and will obviously have to change that. I've never liked cardio but I know it's a must.

Right now this is my split
Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Back
Wednesday - Legs
Thursday - Shoulders
Friday - Arms
Saturday - Off
Sunday - Off

Any recommendations on incorporating cardio without burning muscle mass?

Sdog77

Sdog77

Awards
  • Established
If cardio is as much of a dislike as you say (same boat here, just soooo boring), why don't you fine tune your diet first to accommodate at least the initial fat loss until cardio is absolutely necessary?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I recognize that I don't have the best diet and will obviously have to change that.
True

I've never liked cardio but I know it's a must.
false

You can get to 10% without cardio, if you tune your diet. You don't want to have a large caloric deficit to do so. You can also incorporate doing some of your lifting as lighter weight but more HIIT style if you'd like - faster reps, minimal rest, potentially using a fast concentric movement with slow eccentric movement. Works well with arms.

Tune the diet, remove simple carbs, increase fiber. You can try the Ferris 4 hour body diet, it still has you taking in some carbs, but its all from beans vs something like white rice or potatoes.

csline

csline

Awards
  • Established
Read about HIIT cardio. Also read about when to eat carbs and what type of carbs to eat. High protein is a crucial when cutting weight to retain muscle mass. SARMS, gear and PH's can help drastically as well

gaz7456

gaz7456

Awards
There's no need to do cardio for your objectives, although cardio provides other benefits such as heart and cardiovascular health.

Just reduce calories and ensure that the calories you are consuming are 'good' calories made up up high quality proteins and limited refined sugars and junk food.

I've been below 10% for a few years now and still don't do cardio and don't do SARMs or AAS either.