Fake supplements? how common?

M

mastah

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Any reps knowing something about this?
Seems like when I had to quit buying from powermyself in UK and switched to bodyshock in Poland all supps seems totaly worthless.. no effect at all.

F

faipdeooiad

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Power myself are a legitimate company. What’ve you been buying that you’re expecting an effect from?

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I know powermysef has a good rep

MikeSumthin

MikeSumthin

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Did you check for anything being reformulated?

Big brand names are cheaping out more and more these days...

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I feel like brawn used to be good but not so sure now. I used something from them and noticed nothing at all. I am pretty sure it was their halo but not 100% sure (that’s sad,I know)

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I feel like brawn used to be good but not so sure now. I used something from them and noticed nothing at all. I am pretty sure it was their halo but not 100% sure (that’s sad,I know)
I personally felt like they were a little under-dosed for years ... But not everyone felt the same way.

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Seems like when I had to quit buying from powermyself in UK and switched to bodyshock in Poland all supps seems totaly worthless.. no effect at all.
Can you give some Examples of those bad products? I've been using Bodyshock quite a lot after Brexit. Bunk, underdosed and even containing something else entirely with PH's are surely out there, so why not supps too.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
There are definitely counterfeit supplements on the market, more than a lot of people realize.

Most of the time, the retailers know. Some of the times they don't.

I can think of a particular international retailer that I personally asked where they got a product from of ours that they never bought from me. They wouldn't tell me until I finally had to threaten to cut them off if they didn't; and the 'distributor' that they said they bought it from was someone that we'd never sold to and that I'd never even heard of.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Did you check for anything being reformulated?

Big brand names are cheaping out more and more these days...
The counterfeit issue is a problem for both medium and large brands and its a very real issue.

As for your comment on big brands, I think its important to put things in perspective - You may view them as 'cheapening out' but raw material prices on a lot of things are going through the roof so in some cases, they're simply scaling things back trying to stay at the price point that their customers are used to.

Potbelly

Potbelly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
If you go to Brawns website they say who they sell to

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I personally felt like they were a little under-dosed for years ... But not everyone felt the same way.
To anyone that thinks you're being critical, I'll add that a lot of people feel like they are/were more than just a 'little' underdosed so I think you're being very fair and somewhat kind with your assessment there.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Can you give some Examples of those bad products? I've been using Bodyshock quite a lot after Brexit. Bunk, underdosed and even containing something else entirely with PH's are surely out there, so why not supps too.
They're definitely out there - unfortunately, a lot more than people realize.

MikeSumthin

MikeSumthin

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
As for your comment on big brands, I think its important to put things in perspective - You may view them as 'cheapening out' but raw material prices on a lot of things are going through the roof so in some cases, they're simply scaling things back trying to stay at the price point that their customers are used to.
That's true, but this post was to bring to light reasons his supplements are losing their effectiveness.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
That's true, but this post was to bring to light reasons his supplements are losing their effectiveness.
Yes, but he was specifically addressing how this happened when he switched from buying from Powermyself to Body Shock; and people have brought this up quite a bit in the last 2 years specific to Body Shock and a couple other retailers.

M

mastah

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Thanks SNS for gettin in here.
The supplements I tried and not felt anything from (and have from other brands when bought on powermyself)

MK677
Several pump products (really high dosed agmatine citrulline S7 Vaso6 ect)
Yohimbine HCL

MK677 from powermyself (olympus labs) 10mg gave insane fullness, now same dose.. nothing.
Pump products from powemyself with less potent ingredients gav better pump than I got now
Primaforce Yohimbine HCL gave anxiety close to 10mg for me, now 10mg I cant even feel I took it

Could it all be fake or what?

Regarding Brawn Nutrition I have tried alot of products from, some works really good, some dont do anything at all

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thanks SNS for gettin in here.
The supplements I tried and not felt anything from (and have from other brands when bought on powermyself)

MK677
Several pump products (really high dosed agmatine citrulline S7 Vaso6 ect)
Yohimbine HCL

MK677 from powermyself (olympus labs) 10mg gave insane fullness, now same dose.. nothing.
Pump products from powemyself with less potent ingredients gav better pump than I got now
Primaforce Yohimbine HCL gave anxiety close to 10mg for me, now 10mg I cant even feel I took it

Could it all be fake or what?

Regarding Brawn Nutrition I have tried alot of products from, some works really good, some dont do anything at all
I think there are likely a couple if different things going on here.

1) I would say with SARM's and PH's that counterfeiting is always a possibility but its also possible that the brand(s) just aren't doing any quality testing to know what they're giving you.

2) There can be counterfeiting with legitimate brands too. For example, if you buy something from a brand at one site and it gives a certain result and buy it at a different site and it doesn't, then there is a chance it is counterfeit.
(Counterfeiting - a product that is presented as being by a particular brand but that brand didn't actually make the product. Someone else made it besides the brand and put the brands label on it).

3) Lack of quality control of certain brands. If you bought Primaforce Yohimbine from one site and it did something and then bought the exact same product (brand) from BS and it did nothing, there is a chance it was counterfeited. But if you bought it by a different brand, there's a chance that the brand you switched to has bad quality control.

There are some pump products that I've seen in the UK/EU that look great on the labels but as someone knowing the price of how much it costs to make this stuff, I know there's absolutely no chance that they have in them what the label says because they couldn't afford to make them and sell them at that price.

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
We could add that the lack of quality control can lead to brand XXX putting out a batch, that works and another batch, that does not (as well).

M

mastah

Awards
  • First Up Vote
@sns8778 thank you for the information, I must say.. I have lost the joy of buying supplements now and will probably only buy local brands which sucks.. I will miss out of many awesome supps.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
@sns8778 thank you for the information, I must say.. I have lost the joy of buying supplements now and will probably only buy local brands which sucks.. I will miss out of many awesome supps.
I'm glad to help in any way that I can.

I'm sorry though if being honest with you has taken any of the joy out of supplements.

As for the comment about only buying local brands which sucks, I definitely wouldn't take that approach:
- I've seen a lot of quality issues related to brands based out of the UK/EU.
- A lot of the issues on the EU market with counterfeit supplements are where places over there are counterfeiting US versions.

We're really talking about two different issues here:
1) Counterfeit products - people presenting products as being by the brand when they aren't

2) Brands that put out BS products or lack of quality control.

The best way imo is to support and stay with brands that you trust and suppliers that you trust. And if you see products by retailer XYZ, you can always ask the brands if they really sell to them.

And if you ever have any questions about specific things, you're always welcome to pm me and I'll be glad to help you in any way I can.

Potbelly

Potbelly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
There has always been counterfeit supps and bunk stuff

MikeSumthin

MikeSumthin

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
@sns8778

I buy alot of your stuff off of the rainforest website purely for quicker shipping... Nothing to really worry about right?7

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
@sns8778

I buy alot of your stuff off of the rainforest website purely for quicker shipping... Nothing to really worry about right?7
This thread is talking about counterfeit products in the UK/EU, not in the US.

You should be fine buying our stuff on Amazon as far as I know. On Amazon, a variety of resellers can sell your products so in some cases you can even pick which retailer you want it to come from. We are in process of getting a lot more of the products added to Amazon but that's a long and detailed story and I don't want to derail this thread.

M

mastah

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I'm glad to help in any way that I can.
I sure will pm you if I have any questions, and you are all right I will keep supporting the bigger brands like yours.
Im going to give Olympus labs a try from bodyshock , I mailed Olympus today asking if they are selling.
Also mailed Powermyself and it seems like they got thru orders outside UK now without bigger hassle so I will try them later this month again.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I sure will pm you if I have any questions, and you are all right I will keep supporting the bigger brands like yours.
Im going to give Olympus labs a try from bodyshock , I mailed Olympus today asking if they are selling.
Also mailed Powermyself and it seems like they got thru orders outside UK now without bigger hassle so I will try them later this month again.
Thanks, I'm glad to help in any way that I can.

And I'm flattered that you would consider us a big brand but I don't view it that way. But hopefully we'll continue to grow and get there one day :)