collagen

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
@MrKleen73 got me thinking about joints, collagen, etc.

My wife got on those collagen powders you add to coffee a while back for hair/nails etc. So she picked up some for me when it was on sale and I've been doing it with morning coffee the last 2+ months. it's about 80 cals, X protein, etc but I do feel like my joints are doing really well vs how they normally feel this time of year at these weights that I'm currently moving.

In the past I used fishoil (bringing that back) which helped joints and dry winter skin.

What are thoughts on collagen supps like the powdered stuff? bro science or legit supp for joints for lifters?

View attachment 225163

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
@MrKleen73 got me thinking about joints, collagen, etc.

My wife got on those collagen powders you add to coffee a while back for hair/nails etc. So she picked up some for me when it was on sale and I've been doing it with morning coffee the last 2+ months. it's about 80 cals, X protein, etc but I do feel like my joints are doing really well vs how they normally feel this time of year at these weights that I'm currently moving.

In the past I used fishoil (bringing that back) which helped joints and dry winter skin.

What are thoughts on collagen supps like the powdered stuff? bro science or legit supp for joints for lifters?

View attachment 225163
Totally Legit, @Hyde got me into them. He has a subscription to get his regularly.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I looked into it awhile ago and always seen conflicting info. Now that I'm healing an injury plus I have long hair and always getting concrete dust in it seeemes to wreck it. Ha. What brand do the pro collagen guys recommend?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
My wife uses an expensive women's brand because she gets all her other stuff through them and basically gets free coaching because of it (not my thing). Right now I'm just using the $20 stuff at Costco (which I think is $30 now lol).

I do believe that there is a difference in high quality fish oil vs low quality but I know nothing about these collagen supps. all i know is the women who used them before me swear that their hair and nails are better, and I know that for the first winter in a decade my joints don't hurt but I'm going hard at the gym....

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Totally Legit, @Hyde got me into them. He has a subscription to get his regularly.
Funny thing is I have my dogs on collagen supps, and we add collagen/bone broth to their kibble but I hadn't given quite as much thought to my own collagen supplementation outside of these new powders I've been using.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Custom Collagen is the brand that Hyde recommended to me. I just set up a subscription myself on Amazon because I am almost out of mine. You are starting to see coaches recommend to people to use this over Whey or use it in conjunction with the whey using the whey to flavor it but using more of this to really help with everything.

Last edited:
Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I wish I had luck with these. I've been using collagen protein for about 2 years now and it doesn't do anything for me. At least not to a noticeable degree I just keep taking it thinking I'm supposed to and waiting for the benefits to start LOL. I should be putting all that collagen protein powder money into my HGH fund 😆

ironkill

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My joints feel better at 40 than they did at 30. The only difference is I have been taking collagen for the last 2 years daily. Could be other reasons why they feel good but this is the one big constant that has changed. i swear by it.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Custom Collagen is the brand that Hyde recommended to me. I just set up a subscription myself on Amazon because I am almost out of mine. You are starting to see coaches recommend to people to use this over Whey or use it in conjunction with the whey using the whey to flavor it but using more of this to really help with everything.
My understanding is that collagen lacks tryptophan so mixing it WITH whey vs stand alone for protein value is probably a good call. We'll all be getting plenty of tryptophan this week though lol.

glad to hear everyone supports collagen supps. The added placebo boost I will now get with the science is going to skyrocket it's value in my house.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I still use collagen based on all these reviews but have yet to notice anything and my wife feels the same way. Who knows.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I wish I had luck with these. I've been using collagen protein for about 2 years now and it doesn't do anything for me. At least not to a noticeable degree I just keep taking it thinking I'm supposed to and waiting for the benefits to start LOL. I should be putting all that collagen protein powder money into my HGH fund 😆
maube your just healthy and that's why you don't notice it. Lol. I'm the same with fish oil. Some guys praise it and I never noticed anything so don't use it. Of coarse I understand a lot of the health benefits won't be felt or seen so I should probably just for general health. It's just it's so much more fun to spend my money on things I can see results . Ha

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I agree with the possibility of positive stuff that I don't feel or see. I don't think I'm too healthy to not deserve some results, lol. Joints can always be better.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
General collagen products can have lots of benefits with skin, nails, and possibly the joints so I wouldn't say it is necessarily placebo.

There are various "types" of collagen though.

UC-II (undenatured type 2) tends to be the best for joints with some studies showing effectiveness and it doesn't even need to be a large dose (40mg).

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
maube your just healthy and that's why you don't notice it. Lol. I'm the same with fish oil. Some guys praise it and I never noticed anything so don't use it. Of coarse I understand a lot of the health benefits won't be felt or seen so I should probably just for general health. It's just it's so much more fun to spend my money on things I can see results . Ha
I really don't use my fish oil during the summer months. It's the winter when I start to notice dry skin and joints that I ramp it up. Maybe collagen is the same way, IDK. But it's easy enough for me to add a scoop with the morning coffee ritual since I'll never miss a day of that....

General collagen products can have lots of benefits with skin, nails, and possibly the joints so I wouldn't say it is necessarily placebo.

There are various "types" of collagen though.

UC-II (undenatured type 2) tends to be the best for joints with some studies showing effectiveness and it doesn't even need to be a large dose (40mg).
that definitely helps narrow it down.
I'm doing a quick search to better understand the difference and only see UC-II in cap form. IF I can find that in a powder, awesome.

Mirage2reality

Awards
Collagen peptides definitely help me out a lot didn't realize the impact until i stopped ordering it ,collagen+apigenin+ZMA = Deepest recovery sleep ever

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
When I take this green tea called glow+ by twinnings and collagen, I definitely notice my skin is better, not sure about the hair as it is pretty shitty atm, maybe I will go bulk again and see if any improvements

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I need to get back on my zma, was thinking that last night
I definitely can tell sleep quality is not as good if I don't take mine at night!

Dick-Hertz

Dick-Hertz

Awards
I use the Double Wood Collagen peptides (Types I, II, III) in my PWO each AM. After about a year I can start feeling some improvements in these 56 yr old joints...

Takes a while...

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Double Wood Collagen peptides
awesome. powder...way easier to just throw in with anything. I'm shocked its protein and calorie level are a little bit lower than my normal stuff but if it's higher quality collagen then probably worth it.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It definitely has my hair and nails growing faster. I think it helps some for my joints and skin too.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
OK so I did some digging into types i, ii, and iii collagen. Here's what I can figure so far.

Type i
good for the bones, skin, tendons, cornea, blood vessels and connective tissue. Is accredited with both proteins and amino acids (which in itself is a confusing statement to me)

Type ii
Also seems to effect skin, hair etc but seems to be the best for cartilage strength and elasticity.

Type iii
Also in the skin, but lungs, "hollow organs" like blood vessels, intestines, bowels, etc. helps with skin and elasticity.

One last quote, accurate or not:

collagen 1 is good for strong nails and hair, while collagen 2 supports joint health and collagen 3 is important for gut healing and improving skin elasticity and hydration

In terms of my own personal collagen experience:
I have been using two types and after some digging both of them are type i and type iii which seems to be the most common retail option. This winter I've been approaching PR territory and for the first time in years, have no joint issues. That said, I'll be moving to type ii when I finish off what I have.

My wife has been using an over priced ladies version which seems to be focused entirely on type ii peptides. That said at the age of 50 she has beautiful skin and says her hair is not only getting thicker, but is at least 1-2 inches longer when she goes into get her hair done. which is a big deal for her because she's been concerned about having to cut it a little shorter each time due to dry or split ends or whatever it is that women struggle with.

that's all I know so far.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
My question is how do you know what types of collagen are in your collagen powder. I have beef collagen peptides but I don't know the breakdown of what types of collagen are actually in them. Is there a spectrum or myriad of them and some specific brands isolate them, or do you need specific sources to get these types.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I've had to sorta thoroughly research our collagens. For instance, my wife got me this one at costco:

after digging I found this:

my wife has been using this one:

and again, i had to do some digging but found this:

@Dick-Hertz had recommended Double Wood Collagen peptides above and I found it on amazon for like $18 and claims to have all three types so that's why i'll get next probably when I finish the stuff I have

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I am using the Custom Collagen's Clean Collagen Beef Collagen I just found on the site that it contains Type 1 and 3, so best for skin, tendons, connective tissue and hollow organs. I can definitely see the use in continuing with that for the prices these are in bulk. They do have a multi collagen one as well but it is sold out and a good bit more expensive. it has 5 types of collagen.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I have started using my fish oil again pretty regularly, but its going to expire in a few months. I really think of all the stuff I use the SFH fish oil is the best but when this stuff runs out i'll get something cheaper. no doubt, that is also helping my joints right now. it's 32f and snowing yet no joint pain which is unusual for me lol.

I've used barlenes fishoil many times (they used to keep it at costco for like $20) but IIRC you need like 3 servings of that to equal one serving of sfh in terms of omega content...

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I have started using my fish oil again pretty regularly, but its going to expire in a few months. I really think of all the stuff I use the SFH fish oil is the best but when this stuff runs out i'll get something cheaper. no doubt, that is also helping my joints right now. it's 32f and snowing yet no joint pain which is unusual for me lol.

I've used barlenes fishoil many times (they used to keep it at costco for like $20) but IIRC you need like 3 servings of that to equal one serving of sfh in terms of omega content...
The Sam's Club - member's mark triple strength is 19.99 and 2 servings would get you even with that. It is what I use.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The Sam's Club - member's mark triple strength is 19.99 and 2 servings would get you even with that. It is what I use.
There's a lot of good general supp deals at Sams and Costco. Plus you get to guy a bunch of food in bulk at the same time which is always fun :)

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I looked into it awhile ago and always seen conflicting info. Now that I'm healing an injury plus I have long hair and always getting concrete dust in it seeemes to wreck it. Ha. What brand do the pro collagen guys recommend?
I use Shaklee brand

Danksta710

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I am using the Custom Collagen's Clean Collagen Beef Collagen I just found on the site that it contains Type 1 and 3, so best for skin, tendons, connective tissue and hollow organs. I can definitely see the use in continuing with that for the prices these are in bulk. They do have a multi collagen one as well but it is sold out and a good bit more expensive. it has 5 types of collagen.
They offer a 5lb box for $97.50, with the sign up code it's $87.50. I've used both and multi is better in my experience.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
They offer a 5lb box for $97.50, with the sign up code it's $87.50. I've used both and multi is better in my experience.
Good to know, I will cancel the subscription on the one i have and go with that one for my next batch.

Mirage2reality

Awards
Swanson's collagen peptides is 50% off right now , $20 for a month supply with a amino acid profile I have yet to see any other brands match .

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Swanson's collagen peptides is 50% off right now , $20 for a month supply with a amino acid profile I have yet to see any other brands match .
Agreed that's a two in one at a nice discount!

hyperCat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I swear by collagen 1 and 3 and bovine colostrum. My joints have never felt better (at 48) and my nails and hair grow like crazy. I have to cut my nails about twice a week since taking it consistently.
Yeah, I started taking bovine colostrum about a month ago. It has helped a bit with my gut issues, but I also seem to feel better in general since taking it. Might just be placebo, but I plan to continue taking it. What brand are you using?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, I started taking bovine colostrum about a month ago. It has helped a bit with my gut issues, but I also seem to feel better in general since taking it. Might just be placebo, but I plan to continue taking it. What brand are you using?
I’ve actually used a few brands, all with similar results. More money doesn’t equate to more benefit in my experience.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I get a 5lb bag of Custom Collagens for ~$70 typically. I do a scoop almost daily year round.

The months leading up to a contest, I try to add in Morphogen’s Orthogen. Good dose of standardized Curcumin with sufficient Bioperine, as well as UC-II, glucosamine & chondroiton, boswelia, and some Vit C to allow collagen synthesis. Lots of stuff for repair and to keep them feeling better.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’ve been using collagen for a few years now and no plan to stop. I am pretty destructive on the old connective tissues so any help is welcomed. I stopped taking it for 2 months and noticed a difference. Used many different brands, this one currently. Good range and price point to boot.

IMG_9030.JPG

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
View attachment 225977

Guess we'll give this a go. This is the one @Hyde, right?
Never used this product, but I have used this brand for over 3 years. Consistent quality with their type 1 & 3 beef collagen peptides. I take type 2 separately.

I’ve been using collagen for a few years now and no plan to stop. I am pretty destructive on the old connective tissues so any help is welcomed. I stopped taking it for 2 months and noticed a difference. Used many different brands, this one currently. Good range and price point to boot.

View attachment 225981
This brand has dope pine bark extract, if anyone is looking to knock a little systolic blood pressure down and looking for increased blood flow & antioxidant activity.

DIM is good from them too.

Not everything is a good formula, but those definitely are.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anyone want to share their killer deals?

IMG_2805.jpg

I found this online, and the prompt for an email that gets you 20% off.

Anyone finding better bulk deals? When I did the math, it came to $17 for a tub that the next closest price was $22-24.