Clomid a TRT Alternative?

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice find on that article man, hadn't seen or heard of that study being done. I like the idea that Clomid is much easier on the system and will most likely escape some of the long term negatives associated with TRT. It would be great to see the results of some of the patients after a month or 6 moths post clomid. For a non-bodybuilder, those levels reported would be fantastic in my opinion. Hell even for a bodybuilder that's great.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
Very interesting article. It would be interesting to know the dose. Rhadam, do you suspect problems after stoping clomid or are you wondering if their levels would revert back to normal?

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Both actually. Would be keen to know how long it took for the levels to drop, and how low the levels end up. Especially to note whether they go below the original baseline or end up higher. Secondly, with such a long period of SERM use, i'd love to see clinical evidence of HPTA issues.

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
Yeah the results are quite nice indeed.
Even the writer wonders about level once you stop it, but he had a point:
one needs to stay on TRT on a regular basis (am i wrong?) hence Clomid seems safer
I'd totally be curious about the dosage tho'..

And assuming one decides to go that route, what should be taken with Clomid to avoid sides?
(I'm a natty bb and I've never took Clomid or any prescription PTC like med so I know absolute nothing about
possible sides, but I'm 34 and about to get my test level checked so.. interested in the matter)

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
Here is the abstract

What's known on the subject? and What does the study add?

Hypogonadism is a prevalent problem, increasing in frequency as men age. It
is most commonly treated by testosterone supplementation therapy but in younger
patients this can lead to testicular atrophy with subsequent exogenous
testosterone dependency and may impair spermatogenesis. Clomiphene citrate (CC)
may be used as an alternative treatment in these patients with hypogonadism when
maintenance of fertility is desired.

This study shows that CC is a safe and efficacious drug to use as an
alternative to exogenous testosterone. Not only have we validated previous
findings of other papers but have proven our findings over a much longer period
(mean duration of treatment 19 months). This prospective study is the largest to
date assessing both the objective hormone response to CC therapy as well as the
subjective response based on a validated questionnaire.

[h=4]OBJECTIVE[/h]
  • To prospectively assess the andrological outcomes of long-term
    clomiphene citrate (CC) treatment in hypogonadal
    men.
[h=4]PATIENTS AND METHODS[/h]
  • We prospectively evaluated 86 men with hypogonadism (HG) as
    confirmed by two consecutive early morning testosterone measurements
    <300 ng/dL.
  • The cohort included all men with HG presenting to our clinic
    between 2002 and 2006 who, after an informed discussion, elected to have CC
    therapy. CC was commenced at 25 mg every other day and titrated to 50 mg every
    other day. The target testosterone level was 550 ± 50 ng/dL.
  • Testosterone (free and total), sex hormone binding globulin,
    oestradiol, luteinizing hormone and follicle stimulating hormone were measured
    at baseline and during treatment on all patients. Once the desired testosterone
    level was achieved, testosterone/gonadotropin levels were measured twice per
    year.
  • To assess subjective response to treatment, the androgen
    deficiency in aging males (ADAM) questionnaire was administered before treatment
    and during follow-up.
[h=4]RESULTS[/h]
  • Patients' mean (standard deviation [sd]; range) age was 29 (3; 22–37) years. Infertility was
    the most common reason (64%) for seeking treatment. The mean (sd) duration of CC treatment was 19 (14) months.
  • At the last evaluation, 70% of men were using 25 mg CC every
    other day, and the remainder were using 50 mg every other day.
  • All mean testosterone and gonadotropin measurements
    significantly increased during treatment.
  • Subjectively, there was an improvement in all questions (except
    loss of height) on the ADAM questionnaire. More than half the patients had an
    improvement in at least three symptoms.
  • There were no major side effects recorded and the presence of a
    varicocele did not have an impact on the response to
    CC.
[h=4]CONCLUSION[/h]
  • Long-term follow-up of CC treatment for HG shows that it appears
    to be an effective and safe alternative to testosterone supplementation in men
    wishing to preserve their fertility.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey guys I actually wrote this article. The dosage was 25mg's EOD for most, but they worked up to 50mg's EOD for some of them though. It was never explained as to why they chose the dosing protocol.

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
Awesome Roid :D

So, conclusion appears to be good?
Clomid can actually be used as an alternative to TRT?

Sorry to repeat myself but, what are the common sides of Clomid (and what to do avoid/minimize 'em)?

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome Roid :D

So, conclusion appears to be good?
Clomid can actually be used as an alternative to TRT?

Sorry to repeat myself but, what are the common sides of Clomid (and what to do avoid/minimize 'em)?
There were actually no major side effects reported with this study. There was also a big subjective part of the study and most men had at least one symptom improved and over half had at least three symptoms improved.

Still a lot of men have anecdotally reported that clomid makes them 'emotional'. I wonder if the every other day dosing protocol had something to do with minimizing these negative effects. Hard to say though. This is a good sign though that clomid can potentially be an alternative...

They should have had some fertility measures in there as well. But didnt unfortunately.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
There were actually no major side effects reported with this study. There was also a big subjective part of the study and most men had at least one symptom improved and over half had at least three symptoms improved.

Still a lot of men have anecdotally reported that clomid makes them 'emotional'. I wonder if the every other day dosing protocol had something to do with minimizing these negative effects. Hard to say though. This is a good sign though that clomid can potentially be an alternative...

They should have had some fertility measures in there as well. But didnt unfortunately.
probably due to effects on ERb,

id say take a lil aromasin every so often, problem is you dont wanna eradicate estrogen, but manage

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice article Travis :thumbsup:

I have seen this suggested countless times by Ben on M&M, nice to it verified.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So, if clomid is an alternative to trt. It would then be possible to run cycles while on clomid???

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
So, if clomid is an alternative to trt. It would then be possible to run cycles while on clomid???
opiate antagonist, 7,8 benzo, and high dose fadogia (3x a week)

should reduce it greatly.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
25 mg is still too high eod.for.most. I have suggested.to Dr.much much lower dosage with great results

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes you can but it wont prevent shut down via the androgenic pathway. Anytime you are using a androgenic steroid you will get shut down. You would have to find a way to antagonise the androgen receptor at the hypothalamus/pituitary if you wanted to stop it.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Very interested in this

DGeez

Awards
My endo has also recommended this treatment. I am considering giving it a shot this summer to try and come off trt

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
My endo has also recommended this treatment. I am considering giving it a shot this summer to try and come off trt
Before coming off HRT you need to have all green lights go. If they are not they you will crash and not be able to restart. It take me 4 months to prep people helping their DR in order to even attempt a restart.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Before coming off HRT you need to have all green lights go. If they are not they you will crash and not be able to restart. It take me 4 months to prep people helping their DR in order to even attempt a restart.
Which consists of what exactly? Other drugs? Risk recognition?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Which consists of what exactly? Other drugs? Risk recognition?
Looking into why you are in it in the first place by examining neurological pathways, life styles, immune, GI, other endocrine imbalances, and identifying any other stressors which could be preventing the body from restarting on its own.

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
Quicky:

would be a problem to run Clomid with DAA? I suppose not since lotsa PCTs look like this
but since the use of Clomid here would be different I thought was a good idea to ask first..
I mean, my guess is it should be ok since Clomid here is used to raise test and DAA also does that,
but again, *I* am guessing I'd appreciate an educated opinion

also, is Clomid ran 12.5mg ED going to be ok? too lil?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Quicky:

would be a problem to run Clomid with DAA? I suppose not since lotsa PCTs look like this
but since the use of Clomid here would be different I thought was a good idea to ask first..
I mean, my guess is it should be ok since Clomid here is used to raise test and DAA also does that,
but again, *I* am guessing I'd appreciate an educated opinion

also, is Clomid ran 12.5mg ED going to be ok? too lil?
I have a few guys running this along with clomid prescribed from their Dr and its working great. The thing I do not know is how one can run DAA long term as well as the side effects.

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
I have a few guys running this along with clomid prescribed from their Dr and its working great. The thing I do not know is how one can run DAA long term as well as the side effects.
Thanks a lot for the feedback

I'm not planning on running DAA for long term, well not without cycling it,
I asked simply because my default/fav prewo has DAA in it (Lit-Up) and
I was wondering if it was ok to use it when on Clomid

I use it for 40 days max then cycle it off 4 to 6 weeks before using it again.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Thanks a lot for the feedback

I'm not planning on running DAA for long term, well not without cycling it,
I asked simply because my default/fav prewo has DAA in it (Lit-Up) and
I was wondering if it was ok to use it when on Clomid

I use it for 40 days max then cycle it off 4 to 6 weeks before using it again.
It has not been out for that long so there are only theories on how to cycle it. I would not use it long term either. One could look at it as an NO product and may be just take it with their workouts and still get the benefits and not cycle it since it is not taken every day. I know with herbs I recommend 5 on 2 off which prevents down regulation for long term use. I even have people do the same on multivitamin some time if it gets too expensive. Now DHEA I do not know about, but it may not be a bad idea for long term use.

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
It has not been out for that long so there are only theories on how to cycle it. I would not use it long term either. One could look at it as an NO product and may be just take it with their workouts and still get the benefits and not cycle it since it is not taken every day. I know with herbs I recommend 5 on 2 off which prevents down regulation for long term use. I even have people do the same on multivitamin some time if it gets too expensive. Now DHEA I do not know about, but it may not be a bad idea for long term use.
I cycle it that way because I cycle all my prewo products,
and I only use/used DAA in "Lit-Up form", not for any other reason really.
It worked very well on me so far, but I workout 6days a week, so when i take it
I take it everyday because it seemed silly not to just for one day..

As for DHEA, I'm using transdermal magnesium oil, trynna raise DHEA naturally.

Sorry if I ask again, but, for the Clomid, 12.5mg a day is gonna be ok?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I cycle it that way because I cycle all my prewo products,
and I only use/used DAA in "Lit-Up form", not for any other reason really.
It worked very well on me so far, but I workout 6days a week, so when i take it
I take it everyday because it seemed silly not to just for one day..

As for DHEA, I'm using transdermal magnesium oil, trynna raise DHEA naturally.

Sorry if I ask again, but, for the Clomid, 12.5mg a day is gonna be ok?
Find out why DHEA is low usually due to immune system imbalance, or insulin issues. Majority its due to hidden inflammation in GI tract.
12.5 mgs is good to start then remeasure in 3 weeks. Some guys need it m,w,f and stay at 1000 TT

PumpDogg

Awards
  • Established
For whoever has asked for real world results.. I was prescribed clomid 50 mgs per day 365 days a year!!!!!!!!!! I took this for about 5-6 years.. Anyways, I found that at the above dosing protocol, test levels always in mid range 600 or so give or take a 100 ngdl..
Mood was affected negatively also.. I seemed to be more emotional..
Sex drive was normal,.., Never extreme on either end of the spectrum
AST and ALT always came in the normal range

Overall it was a good run.. I did notice however as the years went by it seemed that my test levels and sex drive, erection strength etc was not as good as it was when I began the clomid treatment thearpy..

I got the idea from reading pubmed journals and it was the answer to a ZERO sperm count issue as I wanted to have children and had been on trt and was kinda screwed in that department..

Currently I am on TRT again using Androgel.. It works, but nothing works like a shot of test a week :D NOTHING!!!

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
For whoever has asked for real world results.. I was prescribed clomid 50 mgs per day 365 days a year!!!!!!!!!! I took this for about 5-6 years.. I would cycle in between doctor appointments, never more than 2 cycles a year.. and when i say cycle. I dont mean running an oral for 3 weeks either.. Anyways, I found that at the above dosing protocol, test levels always in mid range 600 or so give or take a 100 ngdl..
Mood was affected negatively also.. I seemed to be more emotional, to the point I began smoking weed as not to be quick to snap and go off on my wife and kids!!
Lipids unaffected for most part.. I take Niaspan and Zetia for that, so it was unchanged

Overall it was a good run.. I did notice however as the years went by and I would cycle test cyp or enath, it seemed that my test levels and sex drive, erection strength etc was not as good as it was when I began the clomid treatment thearpy..

I got the idea from reading pubmed journals and it was the answer to a ZERO sperm count issue as I wanted to have children and had been on trt and was kinda screwed in that department..

Currently I am on TRT again using Androgel.. It works, but nothing works like a shot of test a week :D NOTHING!!!
We have found high dosage of clomid can cause a down regulation of LH resulting in lower levels of testosterone over just a 2-3 month peroid. More is not better, but less is. 50 mgs daily too many potential side effect long term.

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
Find out why DHEA is low usually due to immune system imbalance, or insulin issues. Majority its due to hidden inflammation in GI tract.
12.5 mgs is good to start then remeasure in 3 weeks. Some guys need it m,w,f and stay at 1000 TT
For me it comes from long term diet (as in pretty massive cal deficit) + crazy training intensity

M,w,f sounds even better to start with, didn't think about that.

jdub1980

Awards
I am interested in switching to clomid for TRT. I think that I am secondary hypogonadal because LH was 3.05 mIU/mL (reference range 1.24-8.62) and prolactin was 4.55 ng/mL (reference range 2.64-13.13) before starting TRT. From what I have read, LH and prolactin are higher if you are primary hypogonadal.

My question is, what would be a typical protocol for weening myself off of test cyp and onto clomid? Any input would be appreciated.

lboston

lboston

Awards
For whoever has asked for real world results.. I was prescribed clomid 50 mgs per day 365 days a year!!!!!!!!!! I took this for about 5-6 years.. I would cycle in between doctor appointments, never more than 2 cycles a year.. and when i say cycle. I dont mean running an oral for 3 weeks either.. Anyways, I found that at the above dosing protocol, test levels always in mid range 600 or so give or take a 100 ngdl..
Mood was affected negatively also.. I seemed to be more emotional, to the point I began smoking weed as not to be quick to snap and go off on my wife and kids!!
Lipids unaffected for most part.. I take Niaspan and Zetia for that, so it was unchanged

Overall it was a good run.. I did notice however as the years went by and I would cycle test cyp or enath, it seemed that my test levels and sex drive, erection strength etc was not as good as it was when I began the clomid treatment thearpy..

Pump...or Matrix...

I'm 27 at recently put on TRT. Convened abut the fertility issues that it could cause. I have one daughter-1 yr-but my wife and I are wanting to try again in about 1.5 yrs.

I've never had a sperm count done, but know I'm fertile as we've had two pregnancies within about a 6-9 mo time frame (one unfortunately ended in miscarriage). Is TRT definitely a death sentence for fertility?

I am wondering if the clomid alternative would be good to consider and mention to an endo I am going to see at the end of the month. A urologist put me on TRT for TT levels of 192ng/dl, but I am wanting to search for a diff doc as he answered NEARLY NO questions for me.

Always appreciate the help!

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I am interested in switching to clomid for TRT. I think that I am secondary hypogonadal because LH was 3.05 mIU/mL (reference range 1.24-8.62) and prolactin was 4.55 ng/mL (reference range 2.64-13.13) before starting TRT. From what I have read, LH and prolactin are higher if you are primary hypogonadal.

My question is, what would be a typical protocol for weening myself off of test cyp and onto clomid? Any input would be appreciated.

Before coming off HRT one needs to make sure there is optimal environment for hormones production to be continued. For people who take this approach, We usually take up to 4 months to prepare their bodies to come off of HRT to create the proper environment for their production to take over.

jdub1980

Awards
How about 12.5mg clomid eod or e3d for a few months while gradually lowering test dosage to none? Then staying on clomid long term?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
How about 12.5mg clomid eod or e3d for a few months while gradually lowering test dosage to none? Then staying on clomid long term?[/QUObe

Need to have all ducks in a row then get base line reading 10 days off testosterone then you do closed challenge 7 days retest see if you hold.

LMuscle

LMuscle

Awards
I need to get off this Testim crap and onto test cyp. Testim really isn't doing **** for me. What do you feel like an hour after a shot of test?

PumpDogg

Awards
  • Established
Lboston, you need to be off of TRT before you do anything else. Here is the problem I have seen over the years. Doctors, most are simply not trained to deal with the horomone issues associated with cycling nor do they have indepth knowledge of why your test, lh, fsh levels are off. .How E2 plays a role etc etc etc.. So they treat the symptom as usual.. They will give you test, or an ED drug and tell you test doesnt matter blah blah blah.. Even if you find an endo, their protocol is going to be a transdermal or a shot biweekly or some go every 3 weeks.. the way they treat the problem is sooo varied, you cant say that anyone one Dr. will do the same thing,... Having been on trt for as many years as I have, several of my bro's have went to primary care docs, urologist, endo's and all of them have a different treatment regimen than I do.. Only the ones that see my doc are following the same as me.. Go figure..
Clomid, should restore your lh, fsh and test levels.. It takes over 70 days I think, to make 1 healthy sperm.. I had a zero sperm count that was checked 3 times.. Im not a doctor and I dont claim to know all there is to know about this.. I have forgotten more about it then I can remember, but i researched what would work best for me and clomid therapy was it.. I have fathered 5 kids since, so obviously my research paid off ;-)
Good luck to you and enjoy the gift you already have.. Ecah one is precious in their own way

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I thought clomid wasnt good for the liver long term

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
I would never rec that over acual TRT. if you have low test you have low test. clomid has lots of side effects also, more than TRT dosed test.
but for those not willing to take a shot 2 times a month i guess they will praise this one...

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
Lboston, you need to be off of TRT before you do anything else. Here is the problem I have seen over the years. Doctors, most are simply not trained to deal with the horomone issues associated with cycling nor do they have indepth knowledge of why your test, lh, fsh levels are off. .How E2 plays a role etc etc etc.. So they treat the symptom as usual.. They will give you test, or an ED drug and tell you test doesnt matter blah blah blah.. Even if you find an endo, their protocol is going to be a transdermal or a shot biweekly or some go every 3 weeks.. the way they treat the problem is sooo varied, you cant say that anyone one Dr. will do the same thing,... Having been on trt for as many years as I have, several of my bro's have went to primary care docs, urologist, endo's and all of them have a different treatment regimen than I do.. Only the ones that see my doc are following the same as me.. Go figure..
Clomid, should restore your lh, fsh and test levels.. It takes over 70 days I think, to make 1 healthy sperm.. I had a zero sperm count that was checked 3 times.. Im not a doctor and I dont claim to know all there is to know about this.. I have forgotten more about it then I can remember, but i researched what would work best for me and clomid therapy was it.. I have fathered 5 kids since, so obviously my research paid off ;-)
Good luck to you and enjoy the gift you already have.. Ecah one is precious in their own way
if tryign to have kids while on TRT then i think its a nice idea t use. but life long i would not rec the clomid.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I thought clomid wasnt good for the liver long term
Low dosage 12.5 mgs every so often one will be fine. >25 mgs then you may be increasing risk of sight issues and other side effect

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
if tryign to have kids while on TRT then i think its a nice idea t use. but life long i would not rec the clomid.
HMG is what I suggest to dr's for guys you want to increase their chances if HCG does not work. Ageless guy been on hrt for 20 years fathered a child at age of 61 !!

PumpDogg

Awards
  • Established
I would never rec that over acual TRT. if you have low test you have low test. clomid has lots of side effects also, more than TRT dosed test.
but for those not willing to take a shot 2 times a month i guess they will praise this one...
I agree, Im not advocating clomid over standard trt nor am I advocating clomid for life.. However for the short term it works quite well..

HCG.. Great drug, but those that are sensitive to Estrogen can get gyno from it, Ive seen it.. So clomid keeps that at bay also.. To each their own.. It worked for me.. I dont take clomid any longer btw

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree, Im not advocating clomid over standard trt nor am I advocating clomid for life.. However for the short term it works quite well..

HCG.. Great drug, but those that are sensitive to Estrogen can get gyno from it, Ive seen it.. So clomid keeps that at bay also.. To each their own.. It worked for me.. I dont take clomid any longer btw
why do you take cyp? instead of androgel?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established

braf

Awards
I have been able to maintain a T level of over 700 while taking 12.5mg EOD, without it my levels are around 350... Doing this and taking matrixs other advice i have been able to hold over 700,,,just tested last week my tt was 737

i know dr. shippen is a big fan of using low dosage clomid for some of his patients,

im interested in seeing if my levels go back down after stopping clomid though