cissus's effect on cortisol...

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I've long wondered the exact connection between cortisol and cissus. Now if you read the product write up on nutra's website, you'll come across something along the lines of:

Significantly lowers cortisol by at least 31 %!

What I'm curious about is, is it the actual cissus extract itself that really does lower cortisol, or is it the fact that it relieves so much stress that you go through with joint pain, that indirectly that lower amount of stress lowers your cortisol?

edit: found this:

http://www.usplabsdirect.com/forum/super-cissus-rx/698-scientific-write-up-cissus.html

"While the increased rate of bone healing may be of great significance to persons suffering from chronic diseases like osteoporosis (4), the antiglucocorticoid properties of Cissus are likely of much more interest to the average bodybuilder or athlete, since endogenous glucocorticoids, particularly cortisol, are not only catabolic to bone, but catabolize muscle tissue as well. Numerous studies over the years have suggested that glucorticoids, including the body's endogenous hormone cortisol activate pathways that degrade not only bone, but skeletal muscle tissue as well. A recently published report documented exactly how glucocorticoids (including cortisol) induce muscle breakdown: They activate the so-called ubiquitin-proteasome pathway of proteolysis (5). This pathway of tissue breakdown is important for removing damaged and non-functional proteins. However, when it is overactive during periods of elevated cortisol (e.g disease states, stress, and overtraining) excess amounts of normal tissue are broken down as well. By exerting an anabolic, antiglucorticoid effect cissus helps preserve muscle tissue during times of physical and emotional stress."

Hawk

Hawk

Awards
  • Established
Cissus actually blocks Glucocorticoids. Cortisol is a Glucocorticoid.

So, I would say it's direct.

But, I'm no expert.

Erase has been my go to source for cortisol control....on my 3rd bottle actually.

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
lots of online stores have research data links to show that cissus reduces cortisol but like mentioned above, Ive used ERASE to keep it down. Many of the times Ive taken cissus for joint reason and have been on ERASE too.