cell phones

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
ok if someone can help me this will be great. i am up for an upgrade on my Verizon plan...dont really want to buy a phone at the store because they cost so dam much. i wanted to buy one on ebay. could i do that, activate it, and transfer all my stuff to the phone i bought?

dpfisher

It has to be a Verizon phone. I don't believe they've opened their network to all phones yet. Just don't get the cheap base model samsung, I have one and it doesn't even work right, apparently not working is a "feature" as the customer service person told me. I've had 2 and they both mess up in the same ways.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
yeah i know it hasta be a verzion phone..thanks for the reply...i was going to either buy a voyager or blackberry storm.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I have the voyager. Decent phone. DO NOT GET THE STORM. It will most likely be rated biggest tech flop of the year. It is slowwwwwwww.

The voyager is great, i got the original, v2 is out now. There are a few other good phones as well.

But yeah you can get one off ebay(make sure it says clean) call in to verizon and activate it. It does carry a 25$ activation cost though. And if you get the voyager of storm you have to have certain plans.

pool_shark

pool_shark

Awards
To be fair, there are a lot of people who love the Storm. It's basically hit or miss as to whether or not you'll get a good one.

Many have upgraded to a newer leaked OS and seem to be happy.

I wanted to get the Storm but decided to wait on the feedback, and there were just too many negative reviews so I passed on the Storm.

If you're due for an upgrade, you won't have to pay full price, you should be able to get your new every 2 discount as well as a promo discount.

Go to the Verizon website and see what discounts are available for you and also call customer service and see what they have to offer, the prices are not always the same.

mauibuilt

Awards
  • Established
Samsung Glyde is terrible. I have one and the touch screen is very sensitive to temperature. Too cold or too hot screws with the accuracy with your touch (as it gets older?) Worked fine at first, but progressively got worse and i'm not the only one who mentioned this. I tough the top of the screen and it clicks the bottom. And there is no feature to bypass the touch screen...in other words, I can't use my phone for half the day.

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
What ever happened to the good old days where a phone was just a phone, used for simply making a phone call? Zach Morris can surely remember those days.

With that being said, I just recently got the NV2. It's a cool phone, with the qwerty keyboard and whatnot, but my friend a week later got a Storm and let me play with it. I love it. So now I'm thinking about going a similar route as you and selling my NV2 on ebay and perhaps picking up a Storm myself. I was told yes, you can purchase one from ebay and ativate/transfer etc.

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
Make sure the phone is CDMA! GSM phones will NOT work on verizon.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
yeah i decided to go with the LG Versa...actually went to the store and it was cheaper than anywhere online

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Speaking of Verizon phones....I am in the same boat, contract is up next month and I plan to get a new phone.

Is there such thing as a rugged phone that doesn't seem like a plastic toy? I don't need a camera or any fancy features, just something to make phone calls on and send the occasional text message, that can withstand tons of physical abuse. A typical winter day for me might involve climbing an avalanched mountainside in 30 below zero temps, blinding snow and/or freezing rain, and being slammed against ice and rocks like a ragdoll. I need a phone that I can pull out of my pocket under those conditions and be able to rely on it not being smashed to bits or frozen. So far none have lived up to their claims; I've tried a couple models by LG and Nokia, not sure which ones offhand.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
i found nextels were the best for that. i used to have nextel but i left when they merged with sprint because the service actually got worse. but those phones can take a beating.

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
Speaking of Verizon phones....I am in the same boat, contract is up next month and I plan to get a new phone.

Is there such thing as a rugged phone that doesn't seem like a plastic toy? I don't need a camera or any fancy features, just something to make phone calls on and send the occasional text message, that can withstand tons of physical abuse. A typical winter day for me might involve climbing an avalanched mountainside in 30 below zero temps, blinding snow and/or freezing rain, and being slammed against ice and rocks like a ragdoll. I need a phone that I can pull out of my pocket under those conditions and be able to rely on it not being smashed to bits or frozen. So far none have lived up to their claims; I've tried a couple models by LG and Nokia, not sure which ones offhand.
Find one of these on Ebay. They aren't made anymore, but are tough as ****.

http://www.slashgear.com/verizon-toughens-up-with-gzone-military-spec-phone-015547/

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
o really? ****. guess i gotta check on what plan i have
I had the storm for a week, could not access the internet, could not txt really..its slow, bulky and annoying...I traded it in for the Dare....Love it :)

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Caferacer-- THANKS that's the exact model I forgot the name of, that was recommended to me a while ago!

BTW nice screen name...I used to have a couple bikes that were technically cafe racers (71 BSA Lightning and 67 Triumph Bonneville), and plan to get back into the hobby now that I have the space...and we just got the first all-British classic bike shop I've seen in my life, in the next town over! Resistance was futile when I went in there, now it's only a matter of cleaning out some room once warmer weather comes...

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
I've had the storm since december and absolutely love it. The internet is fast and works great and so does the email. There are a ton of third party apps available already and many of them are free. I only have the second official OS and have had zero problems. There are a bunch of OS beta versions out there that work great but I haven't had the need so I'm waiting for the next official version which is coming soon. The touch/click screen takes a little getting used to but it is worth it. As far as the media, the mp3 is great, as well as the camera(quality) and video. My main gripe is the camera. While the quality is great, the actual process of taking a picture is to put it bluntly -retarded. This is supposed to be addressed with the new os update. If you want to hear more of the pros/cons from people who own one, check out the crackberry.com forums.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established

Casio has a new one thru verizon and it is completely badass. Damn near indestructable. A buddy of mine just got it and loves it.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneOverviewByDevice&deviceType=Phones&sortOption=priceSort#
edit: sorry, that link just goes to the main page. Click on verizon brand phones and it'll be the first to pop up. The G'Zone or something like that.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Following up on this thread...

Thanks to Jarhead and others, I went out and bought a Casio G'Zone Boulder. My "new every two" deal brought it down to only $50. I've had the phone for about 6 weeks now and here are my initial reactions.

In general, I love it! It comes with both an extended and regular battery. The extended-life one is nice for long trips and whatnot, but adds an odd shape to the back of the phone, making it awkward to carry anywhere but in your hand or in a bag.

The hinge seems a little loose, or rather seems to be loosening up ever so slightly with more use. I would have expected it to be tougher.

The placement of the Send and End buttons makes me always hit them with my thumbs as I am pressing 1 or 3. I guess I just have big hands, but it gets annoying after a while.

Ringing speaker and speakerphone speaker are incredibly loud, I would go as far as to say obnoxiously loud to have set on maximum volume in a public place. BUT this is good because you can hear it ring if you don't hear it vibrate.

The charger needs to be inserted carefully and delicately. I already broke one charger trying to force it in when it was not lined up perfectly.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I have the storm and love it too. Some do , some don't. For the one with the slow camera, just download the new OS from crackberry, it makes the camera work much smoother and more responsive. I downloaded from there and had no problems. Verizon says they won't do anything if you have an unofficial OS on it, but would they ever really check. If you need to service it or whatever, just replace with the old one. Even funnier is that the guy at the verizon store said to make sure I get familiar with crackberry, they are more helpful than the VW employees.

It wasn't hard to do, just do some reading and get familiar with what's going on currently with the newest OS before you just jump in. They leak new versions on there all the time.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
I have the storm and love it too. Some do , some don't. For the one with the slow camera, just download the new OS from crackberry, it makes the camera work much smoother and more responsive. I downloaded from there and had no problems. Verizon says they won't do anything if you have an unofficial OS on it, but would they ever really check. If you need to service it or whatever, just replace with the old one. Even funnier is that the guy at the verizon store said to make sure I get familiar with crackberry, they are more helpful than the VW employees.

It wasn't hard to do, just do some reading and get familiar with what's going on currently with the newest OS before you just jump in. They leak new versions on there all the time.
Are you running the 141 os? It is pretty sweet and fixes alot of issues as well as keeping the memory steady. I just saw yesterday there is a new leak out, but I've read mixed reviews on it it so i'm sticking with this one for now.