Casein

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Is it true casein can cause cancer? I consume it at night and I just watched Jerry ward talk about it .

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Well... Jerry Ward is not always right about everything. He’s a smart guy, for sure. But he’s a little bit alarmist about a lot of stuff.

Milk is FULL of casein. Milk is hardly a contributing factor to cancer.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Don't know the guy - but does he say it CAUSES cancer? Or can make cancer grow? Because there is a differentiation. Lots of things will likely accelerate cancer growth once it is already established; this has no bearing on whether or not you should be eating them. Cancer needs nutrients to grow, a lot of the same nutrients your body needs to grow - so if it is good for your body's repair process, it will likely also be good for cancer growth.

I know a lot of people state dairy increases cancer growth because of the amino acid content, particularly methionine - but come on. Think about that for a minute. They blame an ESSENTIAL amino acid for at least growing cancer. Claiming it causes it is even worse. This is not to say methionine restriction during cancer bouts may not be appropriate, it just means it's not a "good or bad" situation.

Starvation will also starve cancer...but I wouldn't recommend you do it for the rest of your life because it will kill you faster than most cancers.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Don't know the guy - but does he say it CAUSES cancer? Or can make cancer grow? Because there is a differentiation. Lots of things will likely accelerate cancer growth once it is already established; this has no bearing on whether or not you should be eating them. Cancer needs nutrients to grow, a lot of the same nutrients your body needs to grow - so if it is good for your body's repair process, it will likely also be good for cancer growth.

I know a lot of people state dairy increases cancer growth because of the amino acid content, particularly methionine - but come on. Think about that for a minute. They blame an ESSENTIAL amino acid for at least growing cancer. Claiming it causes it is even worse. This is not to say methionine restriction during cancer bouts may not be appropriate, it just means it's not a "good or bad" situation.

Starvation will also starve cancer...but I wouldn't recommend you do it for the rest of your life because it will kill you faster than most cancers.
I was thinking because it is high in glutamine is the reason.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I was thinking because it is high in glutamine is the reason.
So are all the other protein sources you eat, same with whey protein all contain high amonuts of glutamine. Yet people believe you need to supplement with it and take 5-10-15g a day when they get over 20+g from food in a 24/hour period.

Why bother buying casein.. It won't make a difference if you meet 1g/lb in a 24 hour period from other sources.
Casein is a marketing scam. You can get casein from milk or other dairy products. Just buy a regular whey protein and mix with greek yogurt.. saves you money and you get the same benefits.

Eat some steak, eggs, or chicken and use the money towards a quality whey protein. It is just a "Supplement" in the grand scheme of things to supplement your diet. There is no law that says you NEED to have casein before bed besides total broscience.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Milk is full casein. If your worried about it causing cancer stay with Whole Foods instead. But honestly should not worry

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It’s in a blend I consume with my hydrolized salmon protein .

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
my dad jokingly says everything causes cancer these days....if you are out there worrying about everything they "say" causes cancer, your not eating everything and need to wrap yourself in plastic bubble wrap....bpa free of course

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Agreed with others. Casein isn’t needed ecspecially if you can get it from whole food alone.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don’t use it by its self but 50:50 mix of fast protein and slow and I just take one shake morning and one at night and then food threw out the day but this way I’m getting 5-6 hours of continual aminos if I’m busy . I’m am a delivery driver for my company so some times I don’t have time for food and this helps me . Sure I could just sip on whey 4-6 hours but that can be to much for me which is why I like the slower release of casein .

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Honestly, I like milk isolates/casein, etc. - not for any performance benefit, but for texture. The added thickness has its place. It also seems to be much more filling for me during a diet than thinner whey proteins. Sometimes you need a straight whey for thinner things too.

All in all - sometimes science and flash outpace real application. People worry too much about the "quality" of their protein. Arnold was lucky to have an egg white protein powder and he had a physique that rivals 99% of the population today. Eggs used to be the standard. Then whey came out with all the claims of increased bioavailability, etc. and it's like we started looking at protein quality as some magical thing. I don't really care what it is, 100% bioavailability is all you can ask for and if you're talking whey or milk isolates, or beef, etc. - you're going to be up above 90% regardless. We are machines that are good at absorbing food - if we weren't, we'd have much less obesity in this country. Maybe instead of 95% you get to 97%...what difference is that really going to make? So eat an extra 5-6 grams of protein every day and you're covered for the 2%.

Fast release, slow release...who really cares? You will absorb it, you will use it. Just do what you like and hit your macros.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Which is why I like the blend. Makes it thicker .

exrugger

Awards
I don’t use it by its self but 50:50 mix of fast protein and slow and I just take one shake morning and one at night and then food threw out the day but this way I’m getting 5-6 hours of continual aminos if I’m busy . I’m am a delivery driver for my company so some times I don’t have time for food and this helps me . Sure I could just sip on whey 4-6 hours but that can be to much for me which is why I like the slower release of casein .
I do exact same thing, 2 scoops am, 2pm, 1 pwo plus whole foods. Outside sales so always on the go. My go to blend for breakfast and pre bed:
60% WPI
20% casein
20% egg white

I feel the casein also delivers more satiety. In regards to cancer, I'd be more concerned about sucralose/aspartame and sugars. You can always opt for NZ whey (true grass fed and hormone free) which will have naturally occurring cla in it as well as a benefit. Also eat greens, antioxidants etc to safeguard if your that worried.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My morning blend is 16 grams salmon protein 24 grams Micellar Casein and 4-5 grams of immunolin 5-10 grams type 1,2,3 collagen with olive oil avocado oil and heavy cream !

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Casein protein is fine. Were all going to diet someday so be brave and go after your goals.

The Express 42

The Express 42

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So are all the other protein sources you eat, same with whey protein all contain high amonuts of glutamine. Yet people believe you need to supplement with it and take 5-10-15g a day when they get over 20+g from food in a 24/hour period.

Why bother buying casein.. It won't make a difference if you meet 1g/lb in a 24 hour period from other sources.
Casein is a marketing scam. You can get casein from milk or other dairy products. Just buy a regular whey protein and mix with greek yogurt.. saves you money and you get the same benefits.

Eat some steak, eggs, or chicken and use the money towards a quality whey protein. It is just a "Supplement" in the grand scheme of things to supplement your diet. There is no law that says you NEED to have casein before bed besides total broscience.
While I agree you don’t need casein it does serve its purpose. Works great to keep me full around bedtime and help prevent snacking. I’d also much prefer casein rather than mixing whey with Greek yogurt and all the sugar that comes with that. There is no NEED for any supplemental protein if diet is on point for your goals. If you’re talking about scams/wasting money you should never buy protein bars again lol $30 can get you about 500g protein powder vs somewhere around 240g in bars if you’re lucky. Casein does digest slower and keep your more full longer no doubt so it has its place.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
While I agree you don’t need casein it does serve its purpose. Works great to keep me full around bedtime and help prevent snacking. I’d also much prefer casein rather than mixing whey with Greek yogurt and all the sugar that comes with that. There is no NEED for any supplemental protein if diet is on point for your goals. If you’re talking about scams/wasting money you should never buy protein bars again lol $30 can get you about 500g protein powder vs somewhere around 240g in bars if you’re lucky. Casein does digest slower and keep your more full longer no doubt so it has its place.
You want to know what keeps you full without snacking?
Instead of shelling out $30 on a tub of casein you can go and get a whole lot of whole eggs for far cheaper...
Maybe I am a penny pincher, but you can definitely feel a lot fuller on whole food for a cheaper cost. and throw in some veggies for satiety and fiber.

The amount of protein bars I eat compared to whole food is apples to oranges. If anything maybe 1 bar a week
My diet is 90% whole foods, maybe 1 scoop of whey a day or a bar (Which is very rare)

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Some of the bars are crazy too. Got a a sample sinfit bar in a delivery recently, some kind of peanut butter crunch, tasted good, obviously had that protein chewiness to its base but looking at the macros I could have downed a scoop of whey in water then sat and ate a mars bar and would have consumed better macros with a better "cheat" food at a third of the price.