Bloodwork. Is it safe to start a test/var cycle

Mattgainz69

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
So am currently on just my trt. Want to do a light cycle this summer. Was thinking test 300 and var 25 mgs. Have high blood pressure which I take meds for. Recently got my blood work done. I recently donated blood a month ago as well. Now the two main things I'm concerned about it cholesterol and rbc. I just don't want to damage my heart or potential for heart attack. I'm a firefighter so would like to be as safe as possible.

How do my labs look.

Attachments

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
IIWIYS - I would be mindful of Hematocrit and Hemoglobin - if those numbers are post blood donation.

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
A lot of analyzing blood work is comparing your numbers to previous blood work results. And then you have to decide what and where you're comfortable with. For example, your HDL is 52 (which isn't bad). My HDL is 84 (well pre-cycle it was as I was waiting to get my numbers where I wanted them before jumping on). So, if I did blood work and my HDL came back at 52, then I personally would probably wait to see if I can get it up closer to my baseline. However, 52 is not a bad number, so if that's in the range of where your HDL usually is, then that's perfectly fine and you can check that box. And then you just kind of go down the line. I was just using HDL as an example given how harsh var is on lipids but it applies to all blood work.

At least that's how I analyze my own blood work. I don't really compare it to other people's as much as I compare it to my own. I also consult with my doctor on my blood work twice per year, so that helps too.

CasperKValentine

CasperKValentine

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
So am currently on just my trt. Want to do a light cycle this summer. Was thinking test 300 and var 25 mgs. Have high blood pressure which I take meds for. Recently got my blood work done. I recently donated blood a month ago as well. Now the two main things I'm concerned about it cholesterol and rbc. I just don't want to damage my heart or potential for heart attack. I'm a firefighter so would like to be as safe as possible.

How do my labs look.
I'd be far more worried about BP then cholesterol or RBC with being on medication for it. Where many run into cardiovascular issues using gear is a lot of times left ventricular hypertrophy, which is caused by the blood pressure not just the gear directly. There is evidence that elevated cholesterol alone isn't a very good measurement of cardiovascular risk. I'm not a doctor but there are a few that have YT channels and discuss using gear.

Mattgainz69

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I'd be far more worried about BP then cholesterol or RBC with being on medication for it. Where many run into cardiovascular issues using gear is a lot of times left ventricular hypertrophy, which is caused by the blood pressure not just the gear directly. There is evidence that elevated cholesterol alone isn't a very good measurement of cardiovascular risk. I'm not a doctor but there are a few that have YT channels and discuss using gear.
Thanks man. Had a full echo done recently and everything looked perfect. Bp is controlled with Lisinopril as well. If I did do a small cycle would def increase my cardio

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I agree about the BP. Although the good thing about BP is that it's easy enough to keep a daily check on it at home.

As far as cholesterol.... I agree that elevated cholesterol alone isn't a very good measurement of cardiovascular risk. However, when using gear, especially something like var, your problem isn't going to be "elevated cholesterol" as much as it's going to be a completely jacked up lipid panel. Gear is known to increase LDL but also crush HDL. It's something to keep an eye on for sure.

Mattgainz69

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I agree about the BP. Although the good thing about BP is that it's easy enough to keep a daily check on it at home.

As far as cholesterol.... I agree that elevated cholesterol alone isn't a very good measurement of cardiovascular risk. However, when using gear, especially something like var, your problem isn't going to be "elevated cholesterol" as much as it's going to be a completely jacked up lipid panel. Gear is known to increase LDL but also crush HDL. It's something to keep an eye on for sure.
Thanks man maybe I'll just stick with a low test cycle. I assumed 25 mg var was low enough to be somewhat safe but now I'm second guessing

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Curcumin at around 800-1,000mg daily can reverse LVH, just FYI. Worth checking into if you are concerned or want to know more.

Thanks man maybe I'll just stick with a low test cycle. I assumed 25 mg var was low enough to be somewhat safe but now I'm second guessing
Var is essentially the only “good” choice for an oral, if you are going to use any, in your specific case - you have the HDL to burn, so to speak, but your LDL is just out of range.

Var is unique as an AAS in that it actually lowers cholesterol all around - including LDL. It was actually considered for a potential cholesterol med, but unfortunately it lowers HDL too radically for it to be helpful. Still, in your particular scenario, and given that it is fairly kind on BP as well, this is a smarter move than even something like Masteron (which would hit HDL some but also creep up LDL).

I would feel very secure going into a cycle with these bloodwork numbers, provided I had Telmisartan on hand to add if the added test raises BP too much. If you can’t get that, consider Carditone and lower your sodium intake if you start holding water.

I’m not a doctor, but I’d like to point out your fasted glucose and trigs are getting borderline on needing some work - the cardio you say you intend to add will address both, so just wanted to reinforce that is a solid plan. And it will support HDL and BP obviously better too.

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
No I never said not to run anavar. I was just pointing out some of the things you want to keep an eye on in your blood work between cycles. Like @Hyde said, you have the HDL to burn, so you can run anavar.

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Var is essentially the only “good” choice for an oral
Is that statement based on the lower liver toxicity and ability to run it longer? I'm in the minority in probably being a bigger fan of tbol.

Mattgainz69

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
No I never said not to run anavar. I was just pointing out some of the things you want to keep an eye on in your blood work between cycles. Like @Hyde said, you have the HDL to burn, so you can run anavar.
Got it. Yea I'll most likely get bloods done every month and check my BP every few days. Hoping with adding a bunch of cardio and sticking to diet I should be good. Got a bunch of support supps on hand as well

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Is that statement based on the lower liver toxicity and ability to run it longer? I'm in the minority in probably being a bigger fan of tbol.
Based on the fact most orals cause fast gains in water weight that contribute to spikes in BP, which he is most concerned with. And also that his LDL is already out of range, but Var will possibly actually bring it in range, as opposed to driving it up significantly.

Got it. Yea I'll most likely get bloods done every month and check my BP every few days. Hoping with adding a bunch of cardio and sticking to diet I should be good. Got a bunch of support supps on hand as well
Generally speaking, when test dose goes up you get more stimulation of the angiotensin receptors - so you increase mineral retention. For some people it’s much worse than others, but what you can count on is that you will want to lower sodium intake and increase potassium (get more greens and fruit in, possibly milk/dairy depending on goals).

If you use an ARB like Telmisartan, it increases potassium retention while causing you to increase sodium excretion. So you do NOT want to go to hard on veggies and you will probably need to make sure you get enough salt. At least for me, it’s quite the paradigm.

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Based on the fact most orals cause fast gains in water weight that contribute to spikes in BP, which he is most concerned with. And also that his LDL is already out of range, but Var will possibly actually bring it in range, as opposed to driving it up significantly.
I see. You were speaking in his case specifically. I thought you were just saying that as a general statement. Generally speaking, most people consider anavar to be the safest oral out there but I feel that is based on the low hepatotoxicity.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I see. You were speaking in his case specifically. I thought you were just saying that as a general statement. Generally speaking, most people consider anavar to be the safest oral out there but I feel that is based on the low hepatotoxicity.
Definitely being specific to OP. The only blanket recommendation I would ever make about drug selection is that it should never be blanket recommendations - it should always be tailored to the individual.

Mattgainz69

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

Generally speaking, when test dose goes up you get more stimulation of the angiotensin receptors - so you increase mineral retention. For some people it’s much worse than others, but what you can count on is that you will want to lower sodium intake and increase potassium (get more greens and fruit in, possibly milk/dairy depending on goals).

If you use an ARB like Telmisartan, it increases potassium retention while causing you to increase sodium excretion. So you do NOT want to go to hard on veggies and you will probably need to make sure you get enough salt. At least for me, it’s quite the paradigm.
Thanks how would var put my ldl in range. Wouldn't it raise it even more?

Danksta710

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Daily cardio on a treadmill could fix your cholesterol, rbc/hemo and BP. I'd focus on that before a cycle. But that is my personal opinion from personal exp. Anytime the treadmill gets taken to the side, my numbers go in the wrong direction. I just did BW and had a DR visit. Middle aged with perfect BP and other markers.

Sorry not the cool answer. I'm 41, just trt.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Daily cardio on a treadmill could fix your cholesterol, rbc/hemo and BP. I'd focus on that before a cycle. But that is my personal opinion from personal exp. Anytime the treadmill gets taken to the side, my numbers go in the wrong direction. I just did BW and had a DR visit. Middle aged with perfect BP and other markers.

Sorry not the cool answer. I'm 41, just trt.
What do you usually do on the treadmill? Walking, running, duration?

I am glad you brought it up because it’s important for us to hear. People want solutions; they’re not always sexy but sometimes you have to do more than just take a pill for a result.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What do you all think of citrus bergamot, and/or beta sitosterol for lipid benefits…?

Thanks

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
What do you all think of citrus bergamot, and/or beta sitosterol for lipid benefits…?

Thanks
I get about 10% more HDL using citrus bergamot at 1-2g daily. So instead of 36 I get a 39-40. It’s not a lot, but when you don’t have a lot it matters more (like money lol).

I believe beta sitosterol does as well.

I can definitely tell you NOW Spirulina tabs taken per label directions will lower LDL noticeably. From firsthand experience as well as in studies.

Pantethine is an ingredient to consider for LDL as well.

The prescription drug Ezetimibe at 5mg daily will lower LDL about 10% generally. 10mg is what you see espoused a lot, but the VA did a trial and found they got the same results at half the dose when given to all the veterans using it. So cut those pills in half lol

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
^ much appreciated @Hyde

How many months minimum pre-bloodwork to see benefits from citrus berg etc. ?

(I’d love to be able to afford a year round health stack, but I’m struggling with just the basics, plus food etc.)

My hdl was 39, so if I can at least get to 40-42 that’d be great. (I already do cardio daily and eat clean-ish. However, a pizza or pint of ice cream has often stood in my way of some mass/strength gains)

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
^ much appreciated @Hyde

How many months minimum pre-bloodwork to see benefits from citrus berg etc. ?

(I’d love to be able to afford a year round health stack, but I’m struggling with just the basics, plus food etc.)

My hdl was 39, so if I can at least get to 40-42 that’d be great. (I already do cardio daily and eat clean-ish. However, a pizza or pint of ice cream has often stood in my way of some mass/strength gains)
Lipid changes on bloods can usually be realized in less than 4 weeks.

I have heard Chris Tuttle say for clients looking to have bloodwork for insurance last minute, he has them drop all carbs out except veggies and a few pieces of whole fibrous fruit, then drop all fats for monounsaturated sources of avocado, olive, almond, etc. Then just lean protein like chicken breast, tuna, white fish. He says you can shift things in just 2 weeks.

TMan86

Awards
I had almost identical RBC and hemo/hema levels while on 125 TRT and I developed a blood clot that went into my lung and
very easily could of killed me. Pulmonary embolism is the term. I was extremely active as well with cardio and sports pre clot.

So just be aware of the thick blood and hormones, it does have a risk. Not trying to scare you by any means.

Mattgainz69

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I had almost identical RBC and hemo/hema levels while on 125 TRT and I developed a blood clot that went into my lung and
very easily could of killed me. Pulmonary embolism is the term. I was extremely active as well with cardio and sports pre clot.

So just be aware of the thick blood and hormones, it does have a risk. Not trying to scare you by any means.
Damn man glad to hear your ok. What signs and symptoms did you have leading up to that. What was your age? Crazy cause most of my Drs are not concerned by the rbc at all.

CasperKValentine

CasperKValentine

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Curcumin at around 800-1,000mg daily can reverse LVH, just FYI. Worth checking into if you are concerned or want to know more.
I didn't know this about Curcumin but I take a Ginger/Curcumin supplement for inflammation and immune system support. It's a great supplement!!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I didn't know this about Curcumin but I take a Ginger/Curcumin supplement for inflammation and immune system support. It's a great supplement!!
Make sure it’s standardized to 95% total curcuminoids at those doses I mentioned, and either has 20mg Bioperine for absorption, or you can add some capsules of that with it on your own.

TMan86

Awards
Damn man glad to hear your ok. What signs and symptoms did you have leading up to that. What was your age? Crazy cause most of my Drs are not concerned by the rbc at all.
No real big signs just out of breath very easily and finally I was doing warm ups and just got light headed and tired so I knew something was wrong and drive myself to the ER, then rushed me to another hospital in fear I was going to die. That **** was truly scary.

36 when I had a clot, like your Doctors none are concerned about my RBC levels either but my hematologist said it was likely several factors, the hormones & I had a ankle injury at basketball and dehydration is the conclusion they came to. I learned Hydration is extremely important for your blood especially while on cycles.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
No real big signs just out of breath very easily and finally I was doing warm ups and just got light headed and tired so I knew something was wrong and drive myself to the ER, then rushed me to another hospital in fear I was going to die. That **** was truly scary.

36 when I had a clot, like your Doctors none are concerned about my RBC levels either but my hematologist said it was likely several factors, the hormones & I had a ankle injury at basketball and dehydration is the conclusion they came to. I learned Hydration is extremely important for your blood especially while on cycles.
Proper hydration is the difference between your hematocrit being 52 and 62 on the same day.

Sorry to hear this happened to you! Scary indeed.