bigger stronger faster with the help of 5/3/1

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Awesome work Capo! Very solid pressing and pulling!

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Thanks rob! And copy that herder, that's something that ill be working on with heavier loads for sure.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Great work on those PRs capo!

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Thank you sir. The goal to hit some type of PR everytime I walk in the gym!

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Cycle 8 week 3 day A

Warm-up
Lax ball
Hip mobility
Ankle mobility
Knee work
General stretching

Squats
Warm-ups - barx10 135x5 185x3 225x3
Work sets - 240x5 270x3 305x3 (PR) 335x1 (PR)

http://youtu.be/KFAxKJmzsLY (305,335)

Sumo deads
135x5 225x2x3 275x3x3

http://youtu.be/AnMy2WS2tJw (275)

Snatch grip deadlifts
185x3x6

Walking lunges
4 laps (12-15 reps each lap)

Kneeling ab wheel
3x10

Side bends
45x2x12

Notes
Great workout today. Almost got stuck half way up on the 335 squat. Had to give some self encouragement. Lol. Squats felt like **** until 305 was on the bar today. Honestly couldn't get warm really. Sumos felt decent hips are pretty tired right now. Snatch grip sets sucked cause the bar had no grip on the outside.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Squats looked good, man. Your hip position on the Sumos could use some work. Try shooting your knees out hard. That'll get your hips into the bar more.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Sean. Yeah sumos are kinda new to me, still trying to figure em out.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Form looks much improved on squats. Nice work! Congrats on the PRs!

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Rob, I focused on sitting back into these squats. Felt pretty good, knees felt like they were tracking better too.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Awesome PRs! Keep it up!

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Thank you sir! PRs continued today lol.

Cycle 8 week 3 day D

Warm-ups
Lax ball
Foam roll
Stretching
Broomsticks
Banded shoulder mobility
Band pull a parts

over head press
Warm-ups - barx10 95x5 115x3
Work sets - 135x5 155x3 170x3 (PR) 140x2x5

Close grip bench press
135x8 185x6 205x4 155x10 135x10

Pull ups - 4x8
S.S w/
Cable curl - 4x10
S.S w/
Lilly shrug - 75x4x10

Straight arm cable row - 3x10

Notes
Good workout today. PR number 5 of the week. First time hitting 170 on over head and hit 3 reps, which calculates to a 185 max, 10 lbs shy of my bodyweight goal. Triceps were smoked after over head work so I couldn't go very heavy on close grips.

atanocc

atanocc

Awards
Nice fckin work man. bw OHP comin up real soon! I know what u mean bout smokin the triceps from OHP, trying to go heavy on the cg bench can be tough

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Thank you sir! It's usually not that bad but today man they got toasted. All my over head work was relatively heavy though.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys! I'm feeling these past two workouts now. traps and upper back are sore. glutes and hams are pretty beat as well.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Cycle 8 week 3 day C

Warm-up
lax ball
foam roll
hip mobility
stretching

deads
warm-ups - 135x5 225x5 275x3
work sets - 295x5 335x3 370x2.9 (lol)
deficit (plate) - 315x2x2 225x4x2

SSB good mornings
135x2x6 185x6

SSB box squats
135x5 185x6 205x2 (lower box)

notes
Not my best effort today. did too much deadlifting to do any effective accessory work. I'll be deloading next week, popping speed deads in. focused on sitting far back on box squats and used a real wide stance in my chucks, felt like it was hitting the hips and hams pretty hard, first 2 sets were a bit high, so i made up a box with yoga stuff and some plates lol. hit 270 2.9 times, well 2 actually. bar slipped out of my hands on the lockout of number 3. probably should work in some over under grip deads at some point. deads are starting to feel better, getting my head up a bit more ass a bit more back.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looks like a good session to me! That happens to me on lower body days all the time, by the time I'm done with the main movement and it's variations, there's very little left in the tank for accessories. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that unless you have serious imbalances.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Thanks herder. I just feel like I have to do more deadlifts and variations of deadlifts and less of the accessory work.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks herder. I just feel like I have to do more deadlifts and variations of deadlifts and less of the accessory work.
Higher percents you get to really wear you out quick. Last week I had 35 working deads all below 90%(75-85 mostly) unless you count chains, this week high eighties and even 90% and 21 working reps gassed me.

Basically what I am trying to say is solid session :D

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Thanks rob. I basically had 22 working reps which isn't too bad really but 5/3/1 week isn't exactly a volume week either. And 370 is only 15 lbs off of 385 which is my heaviest single on this program.

I'm thinking about starting block pulls just off of a plate or two so like 1-3 inches or so. Rotate those in with deficts and speed deads.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Something I am starting, and I could be wrong so more advanced guys tell me if I am, is picking my major assistance moves and sticking with them for 3-6 weeks and then rotating. Personally, I feel like I do not get stronger at main accessory movements unless I do them with at least a little consistency.

So like this time through is
OHP
Deficits
Front squats

Next cycle might be
DB incline
Pause deads
Pin squats
Etc

Or keep on the same if I'm climbing. Just a thought, and yea, I had a lot of time on my last deload to look through my journals lol

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rob, I think you'll see a lot of people do the same as you. I generally keep mine the same, but I don't really focus on what I'm doing each day beyond the main movement, so I think in theory I want to keep mine the same, but in practice I do as you've laid out.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I don't mean like a weekly rotation. But like every couple cycles. I'm gonna probably switch my bench variation to an incline movement. Start some JM presses on OHP day. And keeping squat day mostly the same at this point.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Rob, I think you'll see a lot of people do the same as you. I generally keep mine the same, but I don't really focus on what I'm doing each day beyond the main movement, so I think in theory I want to keep mine the same, but in practice I do as you've laid out.
Yea I mean my main thing is it takes me a few sessions to even do a movement with maximum force. Like if I go to pin squats in a month or whatever I guarantee I do better week two that week one, and it isn't bc how jacked I got that week.

I'm sure at different skill levels it is different though.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I just want so see how doing things a bit differently goes for me.. It's deload week, and it couldn't come at a better time, I feel pretty run down today, not to sure why. Hopefully not getting ill but who knows. Probably do some bench work tomorrow.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Cycle 8 week 4 day B

Warm-up
Rib mobility
Lax ball
Foam roll
Shoulder band work

Bench
Warm-ups - barx8 95x8 135x8
Work sets 175x6x3 (paused)

Pendlays
135x5x5
S.S w/
DB bench
50x5x5

Band push down 3x12
S.S w/
Band face pull 3x12

Band pull a parts 60 total reps

Deload week continues in a couple days... :(

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I'm gonna do some SSB squats tomorrow to give the deload week some pizzazz lol.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Cycle 8 week 4 day A

Warm-ups
Hip mobility
Ankle mobility
Lax ball
General stretching

SSB squats
Barx8 135x8 185x2x5 225x2x3

Sumo deads
135x5 185x5 225x4x3

Straight leg deads
225x3x5

Goblet squats
100x3x5

Walking lunges

Ab work

Notes
Decent day in the gym. The SSB kills on squats, feels completely different than normal squats. Goblet squats really stretched out the hips nicely. Focused on externally rotating on walking lunges felt a nice stretch there as well.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Cycle 8 week 4 day D

Warm-up
Lax ball
Shoulder mobility
Banded shoulder work

Complex 95 lb done 5-6-4...
Dead lift
RDLS
Row
Front squat
Over head press
Good morning
Back squat

Clean and jerk
135x3x1 185x1 185x2x1 (clean only)

Incline press / pull ups
135x5x5 / 5x5

Super set of
Vogelphol rows - 3x12
Band push down - 3x12
EZ bar curl - 60x3x12
Band pull a parts - 3x36 ( 12 reps 3 ways)

Notes
In out in 40 minutes. Felt like cardio. Incline press will be done on bench day for the next couple cycles, just tossed it on today to get a feel for it again, felt better than it used to, I used to lack mobility in my shoulder and could barely touch my chest but now it feels good. Haven't done cleans at 185 in a while, easier than expected though could probably clean 225, but no way would it go over head lol.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah that's definitely cardio! Tons of volume for 40 mins. Good work capo.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Thanks man! I figured if I'm going light, might as well go fast. And starting off with a complex really helps speed up the day, and get the blood going.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Cycle 8 week 4 day C

Warm-up
Stretching
Lax ball
Hip mobility
Ankle band work

Deads
135x3 185x3 225x2x3 275x4x3

Block pulls (off 2 plates)
275x3 225x2x5

Good mornings
135x5x5

Front squats
135x5x5

JM press
Barx5 95x5 115x5

Notes
Last deload day. Deads felt pretty good, tried getting behind the bar more and getting my chest up.. They seem to be getting better, bar seems to be moving quicker. Practiced JM press cause I haven't done em in a while. Block pulls should help me build up some hamstring and glute strength.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Give sumo block pulls a go as well sometime. Chris Duffin recommend sumo-starters to strictly pull off blocks for a while.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Cycle 9 week 1 day B

Warm-ups
Rib mobility
Shoulder band work
Broomstick work
General stretching

Bench press
Warm-ups - barx10 85x8 135x6
Work sets - 180x5 190x5 205x10 (PR) 205x3 (paused) 215x2x1 (comp pause)

http://youtu.be/4tjVpAc8lZ8 205x10

Incline bench press
135x2x8 135x3x10
Super set with
Cable low row
5x10-12

DB row
90x12,12,20

Face pulls / Rope push down
3x12 each

Band pull a parts
80 reps

Notes
Great workout today. Happy with 205x10 up from previous PR of 205x8. Focused on breaking the bar and pushing the heels into the floor. Guy was on the platform doing deads so no pendlays today :( 90x20 were Kroc style rows. Thinking about doing those weekly again along with pendlays to get the forearm and grip strength up.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Cycle 9 week 1 day A

Warm-up
General stretching
Hip mobility
Ankle band work
Knee work

Squats
Warm-ups - barx8 135x8 185x5 225x3
Work sets - 245x5 265x5 280x6 (PR)

http://youtu.be/fvWHMPzfGI8

Sumo deads
135x5 185x3x5

SLDL
185x3x8

Walking lunges - 3 sets
S'S w
Back ext - 3x12
SS w
AB machine thing - 3x12

Notes
Squats felt terrible, I always come back from deloads and have a horrible first squat day. My belt saved me today, without it I wouldn't of even got 5 reps.. Kinda questionable depth, I dunno, PR though I guess. Hips and glutes are tore up. Sumos are no where near perfect form wise but they are getting better it seems.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Nice PR! Squats look smooth. I thought sumo looked pretty good, also

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Nice PR! Squats look smooth. I thought sumo looked pretty good, also
Thanks rob! Squats felt a lot worse than they looked, sumo is getting there, they are feeling pretty good.. Still gonna keep em on the lighter side till I get consistent with them.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Cycle 9 week 1 day D

Warm-up
Stretching
Rib mobility
Broomsticks

OHP
Warm-ups - barx8 95x5 115x5
Work sets - 135x5 145x5 155x5

JM press
Barx8 95x6 135x2x5 95x12

Pull ups
BWx6 +25x6 +35x6 +45x6 BWx8

Face pulls - 100x3x15
SS
Rope push down - 100x3x15

Lilly shrug - 70x3x12
SS
EZ bar curl - 60x3x12

Notes
Decent workout. Matches last 155 PR on OHP, might have had 1 more but didn't want to get stuck half way up, or catch a cramp in the ass lol. 135 was bending my wrists up pretty bad on JMs switched to suicide grip seemed to help a bit, might wrap up next week with em. First time with weighted pull ups in a while, kinda surprised with my performance there. Happy international bench press day haha. I weighed 201 fasted this morning, fat man status. Okay I'm done.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Nice man. numbers lookin good! 200+ lbs is where to be haha.
Yeah it is especially at my height, about 6' 1" or so. 215 or so will be my goal one day.. I was just surprised to see 201 this morning lol.

back feels destroyed right now.