bigger stronger faster with the help of 5/3/1

napalm

napalm

Awards
good work dude, depth was iffy the first couple, but after that it was fine. we're only talking about 3/4 inch to make them a no doubter.

strength is there, just minor tweaks in your set up. i'd like to see you w a little wider stance and toes out a little more. you have a narrowish stance, just opening your hips a little will prolly get you down to where you want to be

something to think about...

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think your last rep was the best for depth. Good work though. Open those knees out and hips up and you'll sit right down there.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Thanks napalm and country. I've tried going wider at times but it's always killed my hips. I always warm up wider but I end up bringing em in cause of pain when I'm in the hole.

And how do you guys wear your belts? Right now mine is set up and it's not tight when I don't have air but when I get air it's supportive. I tried it a notch tighter and I couldn't even get full air and it seemed too tight, at least for deadlifting.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I brace my core then tighten my belt slightly past that point. for squats I leave it a little loose than deads to get some air in my belly.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I wear the belt high and tight. I feel it gives me some power out of the hole on squats, and makes me very secure, and uncomfortable on deads. Granted on deads it has to be just right or I get too uncomfortable.

Edit: end of the day looks like preference :D

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys. At this point I don't know where to put it on deads.. Higher than squats I'd imagine though. i was pretty uncomfortable deadlifting with it the other day.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks guys. At this point I don't know where to put it on deads.. Higher than squats I'd imagine though. i was pretty uncomfortable deadlifting with it the other day.
I like mine real low but have been wearing it higher because I think I dislocated a rib lol

Adrena1ine

Banned
Awards
I crank my belt down on heavy sets of overhead press and squat. I loosen it up for deads.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Cycle 8 week 1 day D

Warm-ups
Foam roll
Lax ball
Broomsticks
Banded shoulder routine
Band pull a parts

Over head press
Warm-ups - barx10 95x5 115x5
Work sets - 135x5 145x5 155x5 135x6 115x6

Close grip bench
135x8 155x8 175x8 195x4 215x2
Super set with
Pull ups
5x8

Straight arm cable rows
100x4x12-15
S.S with
Face pull
100x4x12-15

Notes
Pretty good workout outside of not setting a PR on over head press.. Legs just didn't want to be tight after squats yesterday, and I didn't want to cramp up on a grinder. 215 is probably as heavy as I've ever gone on close grips. Next 2 days off then deads on Thursday, bench Friday. Fasted weight today 194.6.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
thanks sean! my triceps sure are building up nicely, which along with my increase in shoulder strength is helping my bench a lot.

Adrena1ine

Banned
Awards
thanks sean! my triceps sure are building up nicely, which along with my increase in shoulder strength is helping my bench a lot.
Do you floor press? I've changed that up with close grip bench and for variation. Working very well.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Do you floor press? I've changed that up with close grip bench and for variation. Working very well.
I actually plan to switch it up at some point.. To either floor press as you said, or the JM press. But right now I'm using the close grip bench press to practice my bench set up, and figure out things with that, while still getting tricep work in.

Adrena1ine

Banned
Awards
I actually plan to switch it up at some point.. To either floor press as you said, or the JM press. But right now I'm using the close grip bench press to practice my bench set up, and figure out things with that, while still getting tricep work in.
Sounds solid. Best of luck.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Back in the gym tomorrow. Yesterday was a complete rest day, 4 workouts in 5 days is a no no going forward. The weights are getting heavier and I just need more time to recover. Today just mobilized the hips and ankles. Stretching out everything real good. Feel pretty fresh.

Tomorrow I deadlift! Just gotta cue my self to tighten the hams and get the chest up.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Cycle 8 week 1 day C

warm ups
lax ball
foam rolling
hip mobility
stretching

deadlift
warm-ups - 135x5, 185x5, 225x3 275x3
work sets - 295x5 315x5 335x6 275x3x3 (deficits)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZZtznR6FnU

SSB Good morning
135x8 155x8 185x3x5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW6jQ0fbhZg

Front squat
135x2x8 205x3x5

decline sit ups

notes
Decent workout today, liked everything besides my deads once again. I'm not really pulling hard here at all. I'm not squeezing the glutes at lock out. I still think my hips need to be back more, and my back flatter. The weight is kinda going away from me when I break the floor, which i think is in part to what i just mentioned. first time doing anything with the SSB, I think its kinda bent to be honest (felt awkward at the bottom end of the movement). I felt my form was decent with the goodmornings though, could probably keep the upper back tighter. did heavy weight volume work today, felt good. probably a volume PR on front squats.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd kick those Oly shoes off for your Good Mornings, man. It'll let you reach back more and use more hamstring.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Copy that Sean. I need to run out and get some flat soled shoes.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wrestling shoes and Chucks are fairly cheap. You'll feel a difference, especially with a posterior chain dominant movement.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Yeah. Might use em on deads to cause that's what I think my weak point is, not getting the hips back enough.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Cycle 8 week 2 day B

Warm-up
Lax ball
Foam rolling
Broomsticks
Banded shoulder routine

Bench press
Warm-ups - barx8 95x8 135x5
Work sets - 185x3 200x3 210x8 (PR) 225x3 (PR)
Lilly pause - 185x2x3 (3 count, 4 count)

http://youtu.be/ukcdVfR7kD4 (210, 225)

DB bench
65x8 65x4x10

Super set with

Pendlay row
135x8 185x2x5 205x2x5

Bodybuilding style row
135x3x12

SS with

Rope push down
110x3x12

SS with

Face pull
110x3x12

Notes
Great bench workout today. Hit 2 PRs! Getting a lot stronger on the bench. Pretty good leg drive today. Drifted a bit back on the last rep of 225, but if I was fresh that would be an easy triple. Lilly pauses were nice, first set was a bit quick though, second I did a 4 count made it pretty difficult.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice benching! Nothing wrong with fading those benches, it's how you get your pecs and delts involved. That's how all of mine look. I'd like to see you get up on your traps a little more, spread the bar a little harder on the descent, and really try to raise your chest up to meet the bar on the descent. Your elbows are only a fart outbound of where I'd like them to track, if you bring them in a little, they'll compress your lats and give you a good shelf. That's going to come from that "bend the bar" cue. Same with raising your chest.

Your lower body is right where it needs to be, but if you look, your arch is in the lower back. We need the arch in the upper back to protect the shoulders, decrease ROM, and give you some more pop. You're already fast off of the chest, those little subtle things will have you ramming PR weight off your chest!

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Thanks herder its a work in progress.. I've been working on getting an arch. Pulling the bar apart is something that I've begun to do more of recently, but I have to cue myself every single rep to do it. I'm still working on mobility in my upper back/ ribs to get more arch, its already 10x better than a couple months ago but I expect it to keep getting better on a weekly basis.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks herder its a work in progress.. I've been working on getting an arch. Pulling the bar apart is something that I've begun to do more of recently, but I have to cue myself every single rep to do it. I'm still working on mobility in my upper back/ ribs to get more arch, its already 10x better than a couple months ago but I expect it to keep getting better on a weekly basis.
Pulling the bar apart is a good cue, but I want you to think like you're trying to snap it in half on the way down. On the way up, spreading the bar will keep it moving, but on the way down, to get your elbows in with requisite tightness, you need to try to bend it.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Herder should make is own bench training videos I bet they'd be great

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys! Yeah herder is a genius over here! Very helpful information.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Cycle 8 week 2 day A

Warm-up
Lax ball
Foam roll
Stretching
Hip mobility
Banded ankle work

DB snatch
45x5 65x2x3

Squats
Warm-ups - barx8 135x5 185x3 225x3
Work sets - 255x3 270x3 285x5 (PR) 265x2 (paused) 225x5

http://youtu.be/cLTdV9uWHpk

Sumo deads
135x5 225x3x2

Straight leg deads
225x4x6

Barbell lunges
Barx10 65x2x10

Over head squat
65x2x5 95x3

Notes
Weird workout today.. Had to wait for ever to get a bar/rack so did some bs DB snatches for the first time ever. Squats felt pretty good PR up from 4 to 5. Did over head squats for the first Time in a while they were alright, not something ill be doing often, just to check mobility really.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Today went to the gym did some lower body stretching and shoulder mobility for tomorrow's over head press workout. Also
DB Farmers carry
95x8 laps (80ish feet each lap)

Back extensions
5x20 various weights

My squat set on video wasn't that great yesterday, I gotta start sitting back more, would like my knees not to come that far forward.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Today went to the gym did some lower body stretching and shoulder mobility for tomorrow's over head press workout. Also
DB Farmers carry
95x8 laps (80ish feet each lap)

Back extensions
5x20 various weights

My squat set on video wasn't that great yesterday, I gotta start sitting back more, would like my knees not to come that far forward.
Just checked it out. If you initiate the movement with the hips that can help the going forward a lot. Also, when I'm not sitting back sometimes hitting warm ups with a box helps.

Hope that helps!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good tip on hinging at the hips from Rob. That's going to load your hammies up and make sitting back easier.

Honestly, with your stance, and being in Oly shoes, it may be hard to actually sit way back into it. Can you get a front quarter view next time?

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I don't mean like way back just a little but more.. Initiating with a hip hinge sounds like it would work. The squat feels good I donthave any weird pain or anything. Just trying to touch it up a bit.

And I'll get another vid next week and try to get a front quarter view. Prescribed at 305 for my 1+ set. Exciting stuff, gonna try and get 3 if I feel good.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Cycle 8 week 2 day D

Warm up
Foam roll
Lax ball
Stretch
Broomstick work
And a lot of shoveling and pushing cars up hills haha

Over head press
Warm-ups - barx8 95x5 115x3 135x3
Work sets - 145x3 155x3 160x3 135x2x5

Close grip bench
135x8 185x8,8,8,5
Super set with
Pull ups - 5x8

Cable face pull - 3x15
S.S with
Lilly shrug - 65x3x10
S.S with
EZ bar curl - 50x3x12

Notes
Decent workout given that it took 45 min to get the cars shoveled out of the drive way.. Our drive way slopes down hill and given the 6 inches of snow and ice bellow that had to really muscle the cars out. Hit prescribed reps and good volume on 185 close grip so pretty happy.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Cycle 8 week 2 day C

warm-up
lax ball
foam roll
stretching

deads
warm-ups - 135x5 225x2x3 275x3
work sets - 315x3 335x3 355x6 (PR) 315x4x2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01dxFFYRh1w (315x3, 335x3)

SSB good mornings
135x6 185x4x6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqGIe-eS454 (1st 185)

Front squats
135x6 185x6 205x6 225x5 (PR) 135x12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1HhzVeFFb4 (225x5)

Decline sit ups with oly bar
3x12

notes
pretty good workout today.. deads felt a little bit better. hit a bunch of doubles with 315, about 45-60 sec rest between, did a couple different stances. I feel more comfortable with a bit wider stance than is on the vids, it allows me to get the back flatter, and just break the floor quicker. 355x6 a pr up from 355x5. used my chucks today for deads and good mornings, I think I'm going to stick with those. SSB good mornings are a work in progress, the set on video is probably my worst one. bounced out of the hole on my second rep on 225, which didnt feel good at all still hit 5 for a PR.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Thank you sir. Hopefully I can pull things together with my deads and get some weight off the floor one of these days lol.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's how you build a deadlift, man. Nice work on all movements.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys! I felt like I needed to start going a bit heavier on assistance work. Build up work capacity and useful strength.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Cycle 8 week 3 day B

Warm-up
Foam roll
Lax ball
Stretching
Banded shoulder routine

Bench press
Warm-up - barx6 95x5 135x3
Work sets - 175x5 190x3 225x4 (PR) 245x1 (PR)
Lilly pauses - 205x3x3

http://youtu.be/CZgWvFf0Zro (225,245)

DB bench
75x8,10,10,10,8

Super set with
Pendlays
135x8 185x6 205x3x4

Bent over rows
135x3x12

Super set with
V-bar push downs
110,130,150 x 12

Notes
Excellent workout today. Hitting 225 for 4 that easily really boosted my confidence to hit a new PR of 245x1.. I think both those sets are all-time PRs for me tbh. Form was blah, worked 12 hours this morning and spent a lot of time sitting, couldn't really get my back loose during warm-ups. Definitely have more than 245 in me, getting tighter and having a hand off will reward me with some extra pounds, still very very happy with this workout.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice work, man! Definitely have more in you than 245. When you hit your sticking point, start fading the bar back toward the rack. That'll help a lot you when you go to get 250 and beyond.

EDIT: Yeah, just watched the video again. That would have allowed you to get 5 reps with 225 at least and would have made 245 a lot easier on you.