bigger stronger faster with the help of 5/3/1

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Hell yeah! Steady progression FTW. Now look back at Post #1 your log where you said your goal was a 1000lb big 3. You're already there, man.
Yeah pretty much there! Have came a long way, but it's just the beginning man.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Cycle 9 week 4 day C

Warm-up
Stretching
Hip mobility
Ankle work

Deads
Warm ups - 135x5 185x5 225x5 275x5
Work sets - 315x3x3 225x2x5

SSB good mornings
135x3x8

Machine back Ext
5x15

Super set with
Roman chair
5x15

Done

Notes
Felt pretty good today. Good tightness on deads, could really tell when I dropped from 315 to 225 and the bar was moving before I expected it too lol. Knee feels okay, taking tomorrow off then gonna start cycle 10 with bench Friday I'm guessing. Then taking the weekend off for a little trip.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Cycle 10 week 1 day B

warm ups
lax ball
foam roll
stretching
banded shoulder mobility

bench press
warm-ups - barx10 95x6 135x2x5
work sets - 185x5 195x5 205x7,5 185x5

incline bench
135x2x8 155x6

super set with
low rows
160x3x12

incline flies
35x3x10

super set with
DB rows
85x3x8

notes
My knee feels horrible today.. Couldn't even get leg drive which cut my sets short. When I tried driving the heels hard towards the ground my knee would start shaking and that didn't feel right.. Might just abandon anything that requires leg drive/knee flexion for a while. Maybe just focus on body weight movements for the week, and see where I am next friday.. I dont know if i should try to stretch it out, mash it, or just rest/ice it. Pretty sure its tendionitis, but it isn't easing up at all just getting worse over time.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hard to say, you don't want to do too much as to hurt yourself, but you do want to initiate the bodies own healing capabilities. If it is real bad try naproxen for a couple days until manageable, them maybe try some compression and light light stuff that gets the muscle contracting. Basically get some blood to the area. Just a thought. I am no authority on this, though.

atanocc

atanocc

Awards
Nice work capo. Sorry bout the knee. Damn seems like this knee thing is getting contagious. I'm no expert on healing either so can't give you any advice on my end. Hope things get better tho

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys, yeah just looking for opinions on it. Its not bad unless I'm walking stairs or stuck in a chair for an hour or two. maybe some light leg pressing or something might help it.. just exercising the joint. I've dug through some stuff on youtube, everyone has a different opinion, but doing something seems to be better than doing nothing.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Look up TKE buddy. Dunno if it will help, but it's worth a shot.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Where is the pain etc. I would Deload lower body now and use some heat etc as long as you don't have bad swelling. Get a knee sleeve or wrap it for some compression. Drink some extra water, sleep more and take some ibuprofen.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Where is the pain etc. I would Deload lower body now and use some heat etc as long as you don't have bad swelling. Get a knee sleeve or wrap it for some compression. Drink some extra water, sleep more and take some ibuprofen.
It's lower usually outside of the knee.. Last night the lower knee was really tender. There is some noise in there to when I extend my leg. But will do sir. Sleep this last week was an issue, that will improve though.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's lower usually outside of the knee.. Last night the lower knee was really tender. There is some noise in there to when I extend my leg. But will do sir. Sleep this last week was an issue, that will improve though.
Exactly what I have now. Without seeing yours it's hard to say though. What movements cause the pain?

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
I hope u get It figured out soon man sucks to be injured and very frustrating

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Exactly what I have now. Without seeing yours it's hard to say though. What movements cause the pain?
Right now just stAirs hurt man. If I sit for too long it hurts. It felt okay during deads and good mornings last week. It bugged me a bit during squats but after warm ups I don't really feel it.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not sure if it's related, but when my TFL is tight, my knees hurt.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
TFL and glute max insert on later tibial head so you would have pain on the most anterior bump I outer knee (not where the pat tendon goes, lateral to that) most likely . Is there a specific spot that hurt? Which part of the stairs, stepping up or pushing off with the knee flexed?

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Stairs hurt while pushing off.. It feels okay now that I'm not stressing it at all. Today I went to the gym just did some leg press like quarter reps to get some movement in the joint, that felt okay. Also did some TKE, felt pretty good. Dropped into a few body weight squats, still doesn't feel 100% yet. But better than last week. From there I just did some body weight upper body movements dips, pull-ups, push ups, and a little ab wheel (hate that stupid thing). First time doing dips in about a year kinda surprised that I could knock out sets of 12 easily.

Just gonna work on the knee for the night. I just want to squat :( haha

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Today was a rest day. Well kinda. Had to do brakes on my girlfriends car.. swear they keep coming up with new sh!t that you have to buy to get these things off. Also first place couldnt give me the right rotors so had to go somewhere else.. all in all a 1-2 hour job took like 4 hours, and 3 trips to the parts store.

despite that. knee feels okay today. tomorrow I'm going to do something much like yesterday, maybe throw in some hamstring/lower back work in. Just gonna try to keep the joint moving, depending on how tomorrow goes might try light squats friday.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
warm-up
banded shoulder work
basic stretching
foam rolling
tack and floss knee

over head press
warm-up - barx2x10 95x6 115x6
work sets - 135x6 155x5 175x1 (not 5/3/1 numbers)
bradford press - 95x2x8

1/4 rep leg press
1 ppsX3x25

TKE light band
3x25

paused chins (2s hang)
3x8

good mornings
135x8,8,10

back ext
3x20

bw squats - 1x5

notes
felt pretty good this morning. no real pain/discomfort in the knee. warm-ups felt good. keep some weight on the bar for OHP today, kinda to test tightness/stability, all was good there. knee never really felt like it was getting hot/painful throughout pressing or TKE. felt a little pinch on the lower inside portion of the knee while driving out of the hole on bw squats.. probably gonna order some knee sleeves next time i get paid. I heard SBD sleeves are pretty good. Any opinions on those or any other brands?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
SBD are purported to be the best. I've tried them on, but never squatted in them. I think you can get an excellent pair of knee wraps for cheaper, but if you want sleeves, SBD are excellent. Especially in terms of carryover.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Thanks herder! I'm not looking for wraps, well at least not at the moment. Just want something that I can wear while squating to help keep the knee warm and give me a little bit of support.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Today just went out to the driving range and sprayed golf balls all over the place hahha.. it wasn't bad for my first swings of the year though. actually got some good straight line drives off my driver for once, usually everything slices right or i just get nothing on it. just doing some mobility stuff now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaeAvGh6gkg&list=PLB67wXqPqtMcNVA-UndNUy7bahGJzLQbT

main work for the night. along with some ankle work. gonna warm up the knee real good tomorrow, and hit some deads. and maybe light squats.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
U should be able to drive that bastard 300 yard with all that power u got now lol

capo180

Awards
  • Established
U should be able to drive that bastard 300 yard with all that power u got now lol
One day man lol. I was hitting the far flag on the range, I'm guessing around ~250 yards or so. I'll take it. one of the guys that sells materials to my company has like a 340-350 yard drive, people say he's won a lot of long drive comps. the dudes built like a tank.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Warm-up
Hip mobility
General stretching
TKE - 4x25

Deads
Warm-ups - 135x5 185x5 225x5 275x5 315x5
Work sets - 365x1 385x1 405x1 (PR)

http://youtu.be/oTr_MtZnTDc (all singles)

Low bar, wide stance squats
135x4x5

DB swings
55x10,12

Super set with
Decline sit ups

Notes
Felt real good this morning. Didn't really have a plan for deads. So I figured I'd hit a PR! Haha. 20 lb PR, no belt or chalk here. Taking in some extra air right before getting tight helps me a bit. Knee felt good during squats. Focused on getting the knees way out and trying to keep a vertical shin, tried to video the last set but it cut half way through cause my memory was full.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys! Learning how to load the hammies helped a lot with this weight. felt pretty damn good after going after 405 for so long to finally get it.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome awesome stuff Capo! Congratulations.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Nice work besides your head looking like it was going to pop pretty smooth

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Want to add on my pop comment my wife has been bitching at me lately cause when I deadlift I've been popping some blood vessels under my eyes look like I just got done pucking lol

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Want to add on my pop comment my wife has been bitching at me lately cause when I deadlift I've been popping some blood vessels under my eyes look like I just got done pucking lol
haha thats excellent man! I have yet to pop a blood vessel. But when i lift with my belt my head always looks like its gonna explode even on like 350, and i knew i had to get tight as sh!t to get that 405 moving.

Im gonna probably get back in the gym sunday for some squats. and work up to like 225 or so.. and depending on the results from that might jump right back into 5/3/1 monday.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Went back to the park today.. Hit golf balls around, realized that hipsters play golf now, and did a 2 mile jog in 18 minutes that left me feeling like an old man.. I know jogging isn't the most productive thing in the world but it's better than sitting on the couch and honestly I could use a little jog once or twice a week.

Doing some mobility tonight. And a little squat effort tomorrow.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Cycle 10 week 1 day A

Warm-up
Hip mobility
Ankle mobility
Tack and floss knee
Foam rolling
Stretching

Squats
Warm-ups - 135x5,5 185x5 225x5,5
Work sets - 250x5 270x5 285x5

http://youtu.be/vHloMxHqKyI work sets

Straight leg deads
135x8 185x6,8 225x8 275x8 (bad idea haha)

Walking lunges (worse idea..)
3 laps

Notes
Felt good this morning. Didn't plan on really doing my 5/3/1 work but 225 felt real light and everything felt pretty good.. Everything got a bit tight after 270 and 285 didn't move that well. Missed depth on last two reps for sure. Hams are dead right now, but everything else feels pretty good. 275 was heavy for me on SLDLs, but really helps me get those hamstrings working hard, maybe too hard for 2 days after a deadlift PR hah.

Forgot to say that I widened my feet on those last two sets of squats, I'm not very strong out there, but my knees track better I think. And I'm gonna continue with that width for now.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
They looked good. Once your glutes get stronger it'll be even easier.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sean makes a good point, and I also agree that the squats are looking good!

One thing I get told is to make the upper back so tight that it is uncomfortable. Basically it seems we can never be too tight on any lift.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Agreed on the tightness man.. It helps so much, I'm usually tighter than I was today. But the change in stance and just getting back into the groove had me a bit off.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Cycle 10 week 1 day B

Warm-up
Foam rolling
Stretching
Banded shoulder work

Bench press
Warm-ups - barx10 95x5 135x5
Work sets - 185x5 195x5 205x10
3 sec pause press - 185x3 195x3

Incline press
135x8,10 155x10,8,8

Super set with
Pendlay rows
135x8 185x6 195x3x6

Bent over rows
135x10,12,12

Banded one arm rear delt fly
3x10

Notes
Pretty good workout today. 205x10 ties PR from last cycle I think. Extended pausing is gonna be a weekly thing for now, low volume and not exactly heavy but should teach me something about tightness and help build power off the chest. Weights moved well today. Had 3 pretty heavy work outs over the past 4 days and still feel good. Next two days off, back in Thursday for some deads!

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Nice job
I really like Paused sets really help with tightness imo but the longer u pause the more it takes out of u I like 5×5 with the first weight in my working sets

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Nice job
I really like Paused sets really help with tightness imo but the longer u pause the more it takes out of u I like 5×5 with the first weight in my working sets
thanks man. yeah the goal was to keep them pretty explosive off the chest, probably up the intensity with these slowly, maybe vary the pause length.. i was dying in the gym though, hot and humid today.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great session capo! That's a lot of reppage for cycle 8, man. Love seeing all these gains.

EDIT: Cycle 10, even! Very impressive.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
thanks guys! I've been hitting 10 reps on my 5+ bench sets pretty consistently. ordering my SBD knee sleeves today!

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Cycle 10 week 1 day C

Warm-up
Hip mobility
Banded ankle work
Basic stretching
TKE

Super D arching off floor
135x2x5 185x3

Deads
Warm-ups - 185x5 225x5 275x3
Work sets - 305x5 325x5 345x5

Rack pulls ( 2 in below knee)
275x3x5

Good mornings
135x8 185x5 205x2x5

Goblet squats
85x12,10

Walking lunges
4 laps (~15 reps a lap)

Notes
I felt some what energized waking up, but after my 305 set of deads my lack of sleep killed me.. Might of slept 5 hours. I had good tightness just no drive at all.. I hate working turns... Ill make sure tomorrow to take some sleeping meds to help me out, I hate turning to those but gotta do what I gotta do.. Good news it looks like the mail man just dropped off my knee sleeves! Probably gonna hit OHP Saturday.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
I realized while doing goblet squats that I was missing something in my squat.. While I have been pushing the knees out and spreading the floor. I wasn't getting the weight on the outside of my foot, just a little tweak but made the weight move a bit bigger and I think it will help me with widening out my stance a bit.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Good thing about 5/3/1 is just hit the requirements on a bad day and still progress. I require sleep help sometimes myself. ZzQuil is good. Right now I've been pretty good and relora and magnesium is all I need.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
I know 2 people I'm my life who died after taking nightquill I would be care if I were u

Still good work capo your a strong guy just hit it harder next week

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Allergic? Overdose? And def sorry to hear that DMax.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
One was my friend sister just took it never woke up

The other was a guy I played paintball with may have been some drinking before hand took it, same thing never woke up

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My mind is blown on this. Crazy stuff DMax. Agian, sorry to hear about this happening.