BCAAs and anxiety?

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Hi all

My nieces boyfriend has suffered from anxiety since his early teens but not for quite a long time (he is now early twenties), can taking BCAAs make this worse, reason I ask is he has recently started taking BCAAs and has had three panic attacks in the last three weeks for reasons he cannot explain, his family believes it is related to BCAAs as nothing else has changed in his life.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
My guess are the bcaas are't the reason. What bcaa product is he using? If you think its the bcaas then tell him to stop using them and see if it goes away.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Unless something that isn't supposed to be in his BCAA's is there, it's not going to cause a panic attach. Not surprised that the family immediately blames a workout supplement though.

I'd check diet and life-stresses first. My wife has had recent panic attacks from a job she's had 20+ years. Never had them before and as the admin she's always been stressed. Sometimes our bodies do sh** to tell us stuffs not right.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
If you think its the bcaas then tell him to stop using them and see if it goes away.
I personally do not think it is the BCAAs and said it is probably coincidence but he has stopped taking them anyway, thought I would ask on here just in case .

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
Hi all

My nieces boyfriend has suffered from anxiety since his early teens but not for quite a long time (he is now early twenties), can taking BCAAs make this worse, reason I ask is he has recently started taking BCAAs and has had three panic attacks in the last three weeks for reasons he cannot explain, his family believes it is related to BCAAs as nothing else has changed in his life.
you might want to read this- not that this is his case, but a study done on BCAA and is interesting

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23249694

flextx

flextx

Awards
There are some BCAA products that contain other things like caffeine, test boosters, etc. That could be the culprit.

But pure BCAA 100% no chance of those side effects.

YoungBodyBuil

Banned
Awards
you might want to read this- not that this is his case, but a study done on BCAA and is interesting

Wow, very interesting read, I mean we all already know SSRI's are garbage you're 10x better off with supplementing tryptophan/tyrosine/5HTP/L-Dopa and even caffeine for depression, many studies have linked low norepinephrine and depression, so caffeine can help depressed people just find the right dose that doesn't induce anxiety.. There's many of natural cures to all of our ailments. Or even catecholamine derivatives have worked phenomenal in balancing neurological disorders, thanks for the read man!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Wow, very interesting read, I mean we all already know SSRI's are garbage you're 10x better off with supplementing tryptophan/tyrosine/5HTP/L-Dopa and even caffeine for depression, many studies have linked low norepinephrine and depression, so caffeine can help depressed people just find the right dose that doesn't induce anxiety.. There's many of natural cures to all of our ailments. Or even catecholamine derivatives have worked phenomenal in balancing neurological disorders, thanks for the read man!
This sounds rather homeopathic-like. Be mindful that plenty of people lurk here who may be clinically dianosed with depression or anxiety who simply cannot function without there SSRI. Garbage to you, a life saver to them

Snow3y

Snow3y

Awards
Hi all

Are you sure that's ALL he is taking? Keep in mind many Pre-workout drinks contain stimulants such as Caffeine which can have an impact.

I personally suffered a panic attack just the other day about 30 minutes after taking my preworkout drink.. I've discontinued use of it and switched to one without stimulants, and no longer have any issues.

YoungBodyBuil

Banned
Awards
This sounds rather homeopathic-like. Be mindful that plenty of people lurk here who may be clinically dianosed with depression or anxiety who simply cannot function without there SSRI. Garbage to you, a life saver to them
Well i dont mean literally, i guess that was a rough statement my apologies, i just feel like the side effects from SSRI's really arent worth it when there are many homeopathics that can actually cure the root of the problem rather just cause your bodys serotonin receptors to fluctuate day in and day out. I used an SSRI for 2 weeks and couldn't stand the feeling and it's actually how i got into lifting used working out as my outlet t cope with stress/depression and helped me ween off the SSRI without withdrawals and stopped. My comments was more towards the risk/rewards of them.. I have many friends who got ED from SSRI's and that's not worth it to me when you can spend a little more and do some research and use a medical professional's guidance to use natural things for a safe treament, i see your standpoint though.

DonnieM

DonnieM

Awards
  • Established
I know BCAAs can affect the serotonin levels, not sure how much though. IMO there is a 'slight possibility' the anxiety/panic attacks could be related to the BCAAs. I dont have any evidence to back this up with (other than the serotonin/tryptophan thing), just pure broscience.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Well i dont mean literally, i guess that was a rough statement my apologies, i just feel like the side effects from SSRI's really arent worth it when there are many homeopathics that can actually cure the root of the problem rather just cause your bodys serotonin receptors to fluctuate day in and day out. I used an SSRI for 2 weeks and couldn't stand the feeling and it's actually how i got into lifting used working out as my outlet t cope with stress/depression and helped me ween off the SSRI without withdrawals and stopped. My comments was more towards the risk/rewards of them.. I have many friends who got ED from SSRI's and that's not worth it to me when you can spend a little more and do some research and use a medical professional's guidance to use natural things for a safe treament, i see your standpoint though.
It is a logical fallacy to assume that because it is derived from nature, that it is in fact safe, or substantially effective enough to actually remedy an issue.

If you're not opposed to a bit of light reading - some thoughts for your consideration: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3981077/

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
I know BCAAs can affect the serotonin levels, not sure how much though. IMO there is a 'slight possibility' the anxiety/panic attacks could be related to the BCAAs. I dont have any evidence to back this up with (other than the serotonin/tryptophan thing), just pure broscience.
would depend on base levels (if yours -as an example are norm vs someone who would be higher due to other issues) and again, the study was done on a group with issues already. not based off healthy individuals.

as always, it is an interesting read, the more you read, the more you learn. maybe it helped someone

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
As someone stated, maybe you can post the product he is taking. It could be there is caffeine in the product and he could be taking a lot and not even know it.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hi all

It's a possibility but I would venture to say it's more likely that it's his anxiety being triggered by taking something he is unfamiliar with. Does he have generalized anxiety?

Good post, this study and a few others have shown BCAA's to affect neurotransmitters.

There are some BCAA products that contain other things like caffeine, test boosters, etc. That could be the culprit.

But pure BCAA 100% no chance of those side effects.
That's not entirely accurate though. Especially with 100% certainty.

No, no, noooooo... don't do that hahaha. SSRI'S save lives brother. You shouldn't treat clinical depression with any of those things mentioned.

bigryan

Awards
Whatever happened to this kids anxiety? Did it go away after stopping bcaas? Was there stimulants in his Bcaa supplement?

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Still has anxiety but after stopping BCAAs majority of the symptoms he was having stopped but still has bouts of anxiety but he has had those since his teens (mid 20s now), not aware if there were any stims.