bad cholestrol

zaph123

Board Supporter
Awards
Whats are some supps to help lower your cholestrol. I jsut got my blood test back and i am in danger. My triglycerides are terrible. I got a sheet for what to eat and what not to eat. I am goign to follow that, but are there any supps that can help?

Redspy

Board Supporter
Awards
I use a product called Cholest-Off which contains natural plant sterols and stanols. It has a number of clinical studies to back it up.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Red Yeast Rice with CoQ10 of course. Policosanol as well, and healthy unsaturated fats.

Max32

Max32

Awards
  • Established
Red Yeast Rice with CoQ10 of course. Policosanol as well, and healthy unsaturated fats.
yes, and:

-sesathin / sesalean
-celery seed extract (yes, for cholesterol, not just blood pressure!)
-and possibly Designer's Melting Point

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
yes, and:

-sesathin / sesalean
Had no idea about the celery seed extract being good for cholesterol. What's the overall effect, higher HDL or lower LDL, or a mix of both?

Hell if it's good for cholesterol as well as blood pressure I'm going to start running it consistently. Last time I took my bp earlier this week I was 127 over 65, which is interestingly low considering my diet and bad habits. It has been much higher though. Just stumbled across some software I might buy to monitor it over time and get a better read on where my average bp stands. Or I could just use Excel, but the graphs aren't as pretty.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It also has ability to lower liver enzymes, and help fight cancer. . .

Check the link I posted in the "proposed sticky" thread.

DuiLee

Banned
Awards
I've heard that moderate cardio is useful in keeping HDL levels higher. I don't know if there's any truth to that but its worth looking into.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
yes, and:

-sesathin / sesalean
and also:

allicin
guggul
fenugreek
and expecially pantethine

rrgg

rrgg

Awards
  • Established
How much pantethine?

I did a search on AM, and only found a comment about taking 2 pills per day. I'm taking a wild guess that this means 330mg per day?

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
How much pantethine?

I did a search on AM, and only found a comment about taking 2 pills per day. I'm taking a wild guess that this means 330mg per day?
Nope, more. Studies reports 500 to 900mg.
I'm going to start it at 600mg, my caps (AOR) are 300mg. Pricey but worth it I think. AOR is a guaranteee. Pantethine helps also lowering triglicerides and I need that too.

My complete protocol I will run for a month is (I'm just taking RYR and Allimax at the moment since I dont have yet the other stuff):

RYR 2400mg (1200 first 2 weeks)
Allicin 360mg (double dose)
CoQ10 60mg
Pantethine 600mg*
Guggul (recommended dose, AOR brand this too -i dont trust much general supps brands for this stuff)
Policosanol 20mg*
Fenugreek 550mg

*I plan to run these all-year round

Malek256

Awards
Keep the coffee consumption down.

Creatine can also help (indirectly) with lowering homocysteine.

Niacin is also worthwhile for cholesterol and triglyceride reduction -- but you need a lot to be effective, unfortunately just under the toxic level. Say, 1.5 g a day. Take before bed as it is during sleep that most cholesterol activity occurs.

Have you considered trimethylglycine? http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/203077.html

rrgg

rrgg

Awards
  • Established
For some reason I thought the niacin was to be spread out. Why take it all at once at bedtime?

EDIT: Nevermind. I see that when the liver manufactures cholesterol, it mostly occurs at night.

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
I like to use:

Beta Glucan
Beta Sitosterol
Green Tea
Fenugreek
Garlic
Flax Seed

Jay Mc

Awards
Keep the coffee consumption down.

Creatine can also help (indirectly) with lowering homocysteine.

Niacin is also worthwhile for cholesterol and triglyceride reduction -- but you need a lot to be effective, unfortunately just under the toxic level. Say, 1.5 g a day. Take before bed as it is during sleep that most cholesterol activity occurs.

Have you considered trimethylglycine? http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/203077.html
Niacin is as good if not better than statins. It can cause hypoglycemia though, so if you are a diabetic you will need to watch this and statins may be a better option for you.

Cholesterol will kill you. W/o a doubt. Take it serrious and get it down quick. Follow the DASH diet!

rrgg

rrgg

Awards
  • Established
I think you're overstating the DASH diet. A lot of guys here probably have a diet this clean already.

Jay Mc

Awards
I think you're overstating the DASH diet. A lot of guys here probably have a diet this clean already.
I don't know, I haven't seen their diets. I know the DASH diet works tho so I don't feel bad recommending it ;)

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Whats are some supps to help lower your cholestrol. I jsut got my blood test back and i am in danger. My triglycerides are terrible. I got a sheet for what to eat and what not to eat. I am goign to follow that, but are there any supps that can help?
Triglycerides levels, Cholesterol levels or Both? what are elevated and do you have their values?