Article: Upgrading Your Workouts

I think number 2 is..bs but I think I speak for everyone when I ask.."where is number 3?"
 
You actually have 8 -12 hours to get your post workout meal in. Bloody supplement company's trying to sell more supplements.
 
The link to the article has 3 but if your lazy here:



Good Habit No. 3:

Stretching

Upgrade to:
Stretching Between Sets

If you’re stretching at all, that’s better than nothing, and you’re already ahead of most lifters who give flexibility about as much attention as they do the new One Direction single. But it isn’t just insurance against injury or a way to avoid becoming restrictively muscle-bound. You can work some stretches into your training between sets to help you perform your lifts better and more safely. For example, the next time you deadlift, stretch your hip flexors during rest periods. Kneel on the floor in a lunge position and push your hips forward while contracting the glutes on your back leg. Hold for 30 seconds, then switch legs. Another option is to stretch your biceps between sets of curls, which can help them recover and be stronger on subsequent sets. Place your palm on a bench with fingers pointing back toward you, elbow straight, and stretch.
 
I agree with stretching between sets but for a different reason. I'm an old school bodybuilder type because the "old school" guys, just like the current pro bb'ers, are the ones that get/have gotten results. They stretch between sets to rip the fascia and loosen it up to gorge more blood to the muscle.

Doing that eventually allows the muscle to swell in its pump larger than ever before and apparently the muscle fascia is a key inhibitor to muscular development and growth. Plus, stretching seems to add more separation to the muscles, which is alone worth the effort.
 
Not sure about this author's chops. His description of box squatting is wrong, and, break a sweat by walking for 5 minutes on a treadmill? Don't think so.

A correct box squat: sit down *on* the box. Sit back so your back is upright. Then start to lean forward and, carrying the movement, explode up.
 
Back
Top