Article: The 3 Best Chest Exercises

boogyman

Awards
Heavy weighted dips are very underrated as both a chest builder and a bench assist movement.

boogyman

Awards
Heavy weighted dips are very underrated as botha chest builder and a bench press assist. I would put them ahead of any "fly" type movement.

compudog

compudog

Awards
This depends on what your 1RM is. Once you max out the machines free weights are the only alternative if you want to keep growing. Clearly the subjects the researchers chose were either untrained or just not that strong. Maybe they used faculty members from the physics department instead of football players?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
It should come as no surprise that isolation movements conferred maximum stimulation to the muscle that they are intended to isolate. All you guys talking about free weights: they are superior for whole-body muscle activation by a mile, but if for some odd reason you are headed to the gym and ONLY want your chest to grow, go ahead and do the pec deck.

y0lked

y0lked

Awards
It should come as no surprise that isolation movements conferred maximum stimulation to the muscle that they are intended to isolate. All you guys talking about free weights: they are superior for whole-body muscle activation by a mile, but if for some odd reason you are headed to the gym and ONLY want your chest to grow, go ahead and do the pec deck.
Isolations are the icing on the cake. Nobody likes icing and no cake. Cant grow a big chest without both!

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
What is BEST for one person isn't BEST for everyone. Find what makes YOUR chest grow. If bench press is doing nothing for you but injury then don't keep doing it just because you heard it's "KING". Articles like this will be re-written over and over again till the end of time.

james122

james122

Awards
  • Established
I agree with flaw . I always agree with flaw :)

boogyman

Awards
Isolations are the icing on the cake. Nobody likes icing and no cake. Cant grow a big chest without both!

Pound cake has no icing and is delicious.

Being serious, my chest has grown faster and my pressing strength has increased more since I stopped doing isolation movements. I do three movements that involve chest, barbell flat bench and incline dumbell on my bench day, and weighted dips on shoulder press day. Thats it and my gains have been amazing since I started this.