Anyone worried if Corona virus keeps spreading the gyms will shut down?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You compare the time required to be a barber with the training a police officer receives, link an article from cnn.

Fucking brilliant
The CNN article literally links to the GOVERNMENT WEBSITES listing the requirements to be an officer you donkey...

For example, it links to this:

All training academies are required to teach, as a minimum, the state's basic training curriculum, which is 594 hours in length. At the completion of the academy, all graduates are required to pass a licensing examination administered by the state.
https://www.michigan.gov/mcoles/0,4607,7-229-41624-150154--,00.html

and this:

he Standard Format of the Regular Basic Course is delivered in a one-part instructional sequence with a minimum requirement of 664 hours.
https://post.ca.gov/regular-basic-course

It doesn't matter WHO/WHERE you see a claim, only if it is backed up with solid facts, which this CNN article is...

And BJS (from the US DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE) Lists 840 hours as the average as of 2013:

Excluding field training, the average length of a basic law enforcement training program in a training academy was about 840 hours, or 21 weeks (table 5).
https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/slleta13.pdf

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
The CNN article literally links to the GOVERNMENT WEBSITES listing the requirements to be an officer you donkey...

For example, it links to this:

https://www.michigan.gov/mcoles/0,4607,7-229-41624-150154--,00.html

and this:

https://post.ca.gov/regular-basic-course

It doesn't matter WHO/WHERE you see a claim, only if it is backed up with solid facts, which this CNN article is...

And BJS (from the US DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE) Lists 840 hours as the average as of 2013:

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/slleta13.pdf
been several days ago, but i remember navy boot camp being around 3.5-4 months.

of course then i got shipped off to 'A' school for additional specific training.

amazing the amount of stuff they can teach you in a relatively short amount of time.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

of course then i got shipped off to 'A' school for additional specific training.

amazing the amount of stuff they can teach you in a relatively short amount of time.
Yes, but no matter how much is crammed into a short period of time, the amount of time itself does also matter to a degree. Also, aren't military allowed to push you a lot harder/longer than academies are? And I read, from people who claim to have done both boot camp and police academy, that the total hours for boot camp is ~1.5x more than the academy, even though it's in less time.

Quest

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Look this is what I hate. And I'm totally guilty. Sorry for getting an attitude.

I stand behind what I believe and respect yours. At this point we're doing exactly what they want.

I enjoy coming here.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Look this is what I hate. And I'm totally guilty. Sorry for getting an attitude.

I stand behind what I believe and respect yours. At this point we're doing exactly what they want.

I enjoy coming here.
No hard feelings. It's some hot-button topics that get people heated. It takes a big man (not being sarcastic at all) to admit that, and I know sometimes I can be overly harsh and blunt. I enjoy this place too!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yes, but no matter how much is crammed into a short period of time, the amount of time itself does also matter to a degree. Also, aren't military allowed to push you a lot harder/longer than academies are? And I read, from people who claim to have done both boot camp and police academy, that the total hours for boot camp is ~1.5x more than the academy, even though it's in less time.
i entered bootcamp 1/13/77 i've heard a lot has changed since then...i don't know much about the police academy-if it's a job you show up for everyday or if it is like bootcamp.

really the only reason for my post was just to say that if it is well organized which i assume it is, they can teach a hell of a lot in that length of time.

also, don't rookie cops do a probation period where they are assigned to a seasoned cop for on the job training where they have to pass evals?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I mean I'm not black nor have I completed police training, so I don't know **** to speak about either and here I am arguing it.

Something in the water lately...
I don't know much of anything about it either TBH (and I'm also not black. I'm Jewish, but I'm not going to claim to have experienced nearly as much discrimination or hatred as the average black person in America today; I've been fortunate in that regard). Which is why I tried to look for verifiable statistics on it. But even that, just a few numbers, may not paint the full picture. This whole pandemic has a lot of people on edge, understandably so. Part of it is the fear of the unknown, not knowing if/when things will return to normal. And we all just want things to get back to normal. That and we can feel so powerless. It's out of our control to stop this pandemic. It's out of our control to have other people obey distancing rules and wear masks. It's out of our control to trust politicians in office to make the best decisions for the people, not for themselves and their agendas. It's rough, feeling powerless, and that leads to us trying to prove ourselves right, and to arguments over things that aren't in our control, to give us some feeling of having control. It's strange times for sure.

I could be better too, I admit that much, but I'm glad we can all take a step back every so often and admit our faults and flaws. :)

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i entered bootcamp 1/13/77 i've heard a lot has changed since then...i don't know much about the police academy-if it's a job you show up for everyday or if it is like bootcamp.

really the only reason for my post was just to say that if it is well organized which i assume it is, they can teach a hell of a lot in that length of time.

also, don't rookie cops do a probation period where they are assigned to a seasoned cop for on the job training where they have to pass evals?
I've read that some parts of police academy involve you showing up and then going home (like college/school), while some parts are more like bootcamp. But that may vary on state/department/etc. No idea TBH.

And what you say about a rookie cop being assigned to a veteran would make sense too, but I don't know if that's standard procedure, or, if it is, how long it is for. But seeing how often we see improper techniques being practiced (like knees on people's throats), and how often some of the cops in recent months are overly-eager to use weapons (even if they're non/less lethal), I'm wondering if we shouldn't spend more time on conflict escalation/deescalation training for officers? Again, I'm no expert, and police often are in dangerous situations for sure, but I've seen more than a few instances where officers greatly escalated situations that presented really no clear or immediate threat to themselves or others at all. Again, not all or most cops, but enough that it should be addressed IMO.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I don't know much of anything about it either TBH (and I'm also not black. I'm Jewish, but I'm not going to claim to have experienced nearly as much discrimination or hatred as the average black person in America today; I've been fortunate in that regard). Which is why I tried to look for verifiable statistics on it. But even that, just a few numbers, may not paint the full picture. This whole pandemic has a lot of people on edge, understandably so. Part of it is the fear of the unknown, not knowing if/when things will return to normal. And we all just want things to get back to normal. That and we can feel so powerless. It's out of our control to stop this pandemic. It's out of our control to have other people obey distancing rules and wear masks. It's out of our control to trust politicians in office to make the best decisions for the people, not for themselves and their agendas. It's rough, feeling powerless, and that leads to us trying to prove ourselves right, and to arguments over things that aren't in our control, to give us some feeling of having control. It's strange times for sure.

I could be better too, I admit that much, but I'm glad we can all take a step back every so often and admit our faults and flaws. :)
well, i am neither black or jewish. but i can say that i have saw things improve dramatically for blacks over the course of my lifetime...the situation for jews seems to be going in opposite direction. i truly don't understand this?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
well, i am neither black or jewish. but i can say that i have saw things improve dramatically for blacks over the course of my lifetime...the situation for jews seems to be going in opposite direction. i truly don't understand this?
If there's one thing that's been consistent over human history, it's that, at some point, someone is going to not like the Jews again. It's crazy because Jews, as a whole, were very supportive of the civil rights movement in America, as they knew discrimination and hatred, and the atrocities it can lead to, being only a decade or two removed from the Holocaust.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
If there's one thing that's been consistent over human history, it's that, at some point, someone is going to not like the Jews again. It's crazy because Jews, as a whole, were very supportive of the civil rights movement in America, as they knew discrimination and hatred, and the atrocities it can lead to, being only a decade or two removed from the Holocaust.
yes, i lived thru the civil rights days of the 60's/70's and jews were at the forefront. the aclu was almost exclusively jewish.

BamBam54

BamBam54

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I do know this... if police need more training, (and we need police more than ever) this idea of "defunding" or reallocating their budget is the exact opposite of what we need to be doing.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I do know this... if police need more training, (and we need police more than ever) this idea of "defunding" or reallocating their budget is the exact opposite of what we need to be doing.
i agree, i think the best way to avoid police abuse is to double the amount of police...the more police that show up the less chance of things getting out of hand and needing deadly force, imo. it's simple we make it safer for police, we make it safer for everyone.

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I agree with a lot being said. I do not however see the value in requiring a degree from college as some sort of gold standard prerequisite. Some of the dumbest people I have ever met hold a degree from a major university. On the hand some of the worlds most brilliant and successful people are drop outs. For policing, your character, ethics, and aptitude are the most important attributes for the job. How do you handle pressure, how is your temper, can you make quick decisions under pressure, can you pay attention to detail and see the things others miss?

What departments need is support, de-escalation training, and more community involvement. What I mean by that is start getting back to beat cops that know their neighborhoods. Nowadays most departments focus all their attention on traffic stops, which is basically just revenue collection.

Coming from a family of cops, me being the only one to not go blue, I can say that the academy is most definitely more involved than barber school. My little brother, who went through 4 years ago, went through over a year of academy and then 6 months of patrolling with a FTO.

dixonk

dixonk

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i agree, i think the best way to avoid police abuse is to double the amount of police...the more police that show up the less chance of things getting out of hand and needing deadly force, imo. it's simple we make it safer for police, we make it safer for everyone.
Actually the absolute best way to avoid police abuse is to not be an asshole/criminal.

Hilltern

Awards
  • First Up Vote

Not sure if y’all listen to Jocko at all but he said on Rogan that SEALs train about 20% of the time. Cops train nowhere near that. He recommended getting their training % up to that level and doing way more stress training.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Not sure if y’all listen to Jocko at all but he said on Rogan that SEALs train about 20% of the time. Cops train nowhere near that. He recommended getting their training % up to that level and doing way more stress training.
lol...compare the time seals spend training to regular military?

they can't recruit enough people to be cops the way it is---do you have any clue the sacrifices required to be a seal?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I mean, relocating some budget to teach them more about mental health and conflict de-escalation (potentially at the expense of fancy toys used for no-knock raids on the wrong houses) isn’t exactly a terrible idea IMO.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

they can't recruit enough people to be cops the way it is---do you have any clue the sacrifices required to be a seal?
Yeah, seals are way beyond even normal military, which itself has more hours training than police from what I’ve read. Not to mention even the physical requirements to be a SEAL alone would make most would-be applicants ineligible. It’s apples and oranges comparing the elite of the military to the average cop.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I agree with a lot being said. I do not however see the value in requiring a degree from college as some sort of gold standard prerequisite. Some of the dumbest people I have ever met hold a degree from a major university. On the hand some of the worlds most brilliant and successful people are drop outs. For policing, your character, ethics, and aptitude are the most important attributes for the job. How do you handle pressure, how is your temper, can you make quick decisions under pressure, can you pay attention to detail and see the things others miss?

What departments need is support, de-escalation training, and more community involvement. What I mean by that is start getting back to beat cops that know their neighborhoods. Nowadays most departments focus all their attention on traffic stops, which is basically just revenue collection.

Coming from a family of cops, me being the only one to not go blue, I can say that the academy is most definitely more involved than barber school. My little brother, who went through 4 years ago, went through over a year of academy and then 6 months of patrolling with a FTO.
I agree here. I think that part of the problem in society is that people without means cannot get jobs that would give them the means. You don't need to be brilliant to be a cop. And sometimes, being from a poorer background is probably beneficial for a police officer in the line of duty. But requiring a college degree pits the have's vs. the have-nots and I think that is part of the issue here.

I mean, I've faced this. I got arrested for speeding in VA after college. The county I was in was known for these tactics and the cop lied about how fast I was going (this was almost 20 years ago, I have no reason to lie now) - I was speeding, doing 80 MPH and he said I was doing 120 and arrested me. When I went to court to fight the ticket, a black kid got up in front of me, in a court room with paintings of our confederate leaders, and the judge asked him if he was doing 90 like the officer said. The black kid said, "yes sir, I was". And The Judge asked, "Why were you going so fast?" and the kid responded, "My grandmother was having a heart attack and I was trying to get her to the hospital."

The judge asked how she was, he said she was doing well. He asked the cop if this was true and the cop said, "Yes, I followed him to the hospital." And the judge looked back at the kid and said, "Well, you admitted you were speeding. 30 days in jail."

When I got up, he gave me 30 days in jail too - which I had the means to appeal and did. And basically on appeal they just wanted money and the entire thing went away for $6000.

That black kid didn't stand a chance, and I was lucky I had the means to keep fighting. I'm not saying it is "white privilege" because I don't believe in that. But it was privilege.

I also agree that, even as a white person, I get nervous driving around cops. I probably should have some fear and respect, but the idea of being friends with one is tough. I think they really should be more involved in the community and their job should be reframed to fit the narrow role which they are really supposed to fill.

I am sure very few of us know the sacrifices that are made by a Navy Seal, or much of the military for that matter.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

I enjoy coming here.
Here here! I think the isolation from Covid really makes it easier to get worked up. I am equally at fault. But we are all brothers and it's really nice to have people who we can wrestle with and learn with. I've learned a lot from everyone here.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Except for no knock raids on the wrong house I suppose.
do you have statistics on how often this has happened in last 10 years, i am curious how frequent this occurs.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Response bolded in quote:
Lots of departments are requiring 60 hours of credits, not necessarily a degree. So you could go in for a BA/BS/etc., do 2 years, and drop out and you'd still qualify with the 60 hours required. Also, you're talking about people who dropped out of usually Ivy League schools, they're the exceptions to the rule.

I 100% agree that de-escalation training would be HUGE, and an incredible way to use some funds/time/etc. And knowing your community, and them knowing and trusting you, not just thinking you're out to ticket them for as much money as possible, as you said, would be huge too.

Glad to hear that his academy and training was more involved, but it seems that SOME departments/states/etc have much more or less time/training/etc. than others do. Some are 500-something hours, some are over 1000, etc.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree here. I think that part of the problem in society is that people without means cannot get jobs that would give them the means. You don't need to be brilliant to be a cop. And sometimes, being from a poorer background is probably beneficial for a police officer in the line of duty. But requiring a college degree pits the have's vs. the have-nots and I think that is part of the issue here.

I mean, I've faced this. I got arrested for speeding in VA after college. The county I was in was known for these tactics and the cop lied about how fast I was going (this was almost 20 years ago, I have no reason to lie now) - I was speeding, doing 80 MPH and he said I was doing 120 and arrested me. When I went to court to fight the ticket, a black kid got up in front of me, in a court room with paintings of our confederate leaders, and the judge asked him if he was doing 90 like the officer said. The black kid said, "yes sir, I was". And The Judge asked, "Why were you going so fast?" and the kid responded, "My grandmother was having a heart attack and I was trying to get her to the hospital."

The judge asked how she was, he said she was doing well. He asked the cop if this was true and the cop said, "Yes, I followed him to the hospital." And the judge looked back at the kid and said, "Well, you admitted you were speeding. 30 days in jail."

When I got up, he gave me 30 days in jail too - which I had the means to appeal and did. And basically on appeal they just wanted money and the entire thing went away for $6000.

That black kid didn't stand a chance, and I was lucky I had the means to keep fighting. I'm not saying it is "white privilege" because I don't believe in that. But it was privilege.

I also agree that, even as a white person, I get nervous driving around cops. I probably should have some fear and respect, but the idea of being friends with one is tough. I think they really should be more involved in the community and their job should be reframed to fit the narrow role which they are really supposed to fill.

I am sure very few of us know the sacrifices that are made by a Navy Seal, or much of the military for that matter.
I know that sometimes it's actually HARDER for a lower-middle class kid to pay for college than an upper-lower class kid, since lower-middle class hardly gets any scholarships, and qualifies for less "good" loans and student aid. 60 hours of credits from a community college likely isn't impossible for a LOT of people. But some people think they need to go to private universities and stay on campus, when they could stay home and go to a community college most of the time. This doesn't hold true 100% of the time, but I'd say it's worth noting.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

your story is more about the privilege of having $6000 green dollars than of black and white, imo.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
do you have statistics on how often this has happened in last 10 years, i am curious how frequent this occurs.
Let's check. Ignoring that a no-knock raid for someone who has a little weed or something is itself a huge overreaction.

Supposedly 39 people were killed in no-knock raids from 2010-2016, including 8 officers. No idea how many of those were from wrong home raids though. I know I've heard of a few wrong home raids in recent years, where either police shot and/or killed people in the wrong homes, or the home owner shot and/or killed officers, as they thought someone was breaking into their house unannounced. It's generally a dangerous practice, both for civilians and officers, and IMO, should be reserved only with a warrant for criminals who are known to be dangerous, not for a report of someone having a little weed or something like that.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-race-noknock-trfn/your-home-is-your-castle-unless-police-mount-a-no-knock-raid-idUSKBN23P39D

Elsewhere, an "investigative journalist" and author claims there's ~8-10 cases a year where an innocent person is killed, but they provide no source for their claims.

Here's some pretty alarming claims:

There isn't great data, but the ACLU's analysis showed that about 35 percent of SWAT drug raids turned up contraband, while 36 percent of them turned up nothing. (And 29 percent of SWAT reports didn't mention whether they found anything — a fact police are more likely to omit when they didn't find anything than when they did.) In forced-entry SWAT raids, the "success" rate of actually finding drugs dropped to about a 25 percent.

Not all drugs the SWAT team found were the ones they were looking for. In several cases, SWAT teams will raid a house looking for a large stash of drugs, only to find a small quantity of marijuana for personal use. But that counts as finding "contraband" in the raid report, and it's something they can arrest the homeowner for.

Sometimes, SWAT raids simply hit the wrong house. Either the address on the warrant is wrong (or police misread it), or the warrant itself is based on bad information. In the raid that killed Stanley-Jones in Detroit, for instance, police had entered the wrong apartment — the one they meant to raid was upstairs.

In 2003, the commissioner of the NYPD estimated that, of the more than 450 no-knock raids the city conducted every month, 10 percent were wrong-door raids. That estimate came after a wrong-door raid resulted in the homeowner's death: when police broke into the home of 57-year-old Alberta Spruill and threw in a flash-bang grenade, the shock gave her a fatal heart attack.
https://www.vox.com/2014/10/29/7083371/swat-no-knock-raids-police-killed-civilians-dangerous-work-drugs

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
your story is more about the privilege of having $6000 green dollars than of black and white, imo.
This. There are a lot of dirt poor white people, and a lot of wealthy black people. Not saying that African Americans don't experience poverty more as a whole in the country, but on an individual basis, this does sound like it was more about money/class than color/race.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It doesn’t matter what you do, there will always be exceptions. Unavoidable.
Recently even a lot of officers and police advocates are saying that no-knock raids often present unnecessary risk to both officer and civilian safety for the potential “reward.” Regardless, There’s no excuse for a no-knock raid on the wrong house man, especially not up to 10% of the time. Double, triple, and quadruple check that s**t man.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Furthermore, saying exceptions/mistakes are unavoidable should never be used as justification go not try to reduce the incidence of said mistakes.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
i agree, no amount of training could make anything 100%.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i agree, no amount of training could make anything 100%.
I mean, there shouldn’t be that many no knock raids on the wrong homes. Double, triple, and quadruple check that. Have ever member of the SWAT squad doing the raid check the address on the warrant against the door of the place they’re raiding. A mistake in the heat of the moment in a life or death situation is one thing, this is something else entirely. There’s no pressure until the raid starts, so no excuse to get the details that badly wrong.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Let's check. Ignoring that a no-knock raid for someone who has a little weed or something is itself a huge overreaction.

Supposedly 39 people were killed in no-knock raids from 2010-2016, including 8 officers. No idea how many of those were from wrong home raids though. I know I've heard of a few wrong home raids in recent years, where either police shot and/or killed people in the wrong homes, or the home owner shot and/or killed officers, as they thought someone was breaking into their house unannounced. It's generally a dangerous practice, both for civilians and officers, and IMO, should be reserved only with a warrant for criminals who are known to be dangerous, not for a report of someone having a little weed or something like that.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-race-noknock-trfn/your-home-is-your-castle-unless-police-mount-a-no-knock-raid-idUSKBN23P39D

Elsewhere, an "investigative journalist" and author claims there's ~8-10 cases a year where an innocent person is killed, but they provide no source for their claims.

Here's some pretty alarming claims:

https://www.vox.com/2014/10/29/7083371/swat-no-knock-raids-police-killed-civilians-dangerous-work-drugs
i guess my understanding of the use of swat teams is mistaken, i didn't think they were used for no knock raids without a warrant

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I mean, there shouldn’t be that many no knock raids on the wrong homes. Double, triple, and quadruple check that. Have ever member of the SWAT squad doing the raid check the address on the warrant against the door of the place they’re raiding. A mistake in the heat of the moment in a life or death situation is one thing, this is something else entirely. There’s no pressure until the raid starts, so no excuse to get the details that badly wrong.
i wonder how often this happens where a swat team got the address wrong?...i agree there is little room for excuses here.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i wonder how often this happens where they get the address wrong?...i agree there is little room for excuses here.
Supposedly ~10% of the time, according to an NYPD commissioner in 2003. Maybe it’s gotten better since then? But I’ve still heard about a lot of them. Not all of them end up in death or injury, but still, that’s a really dumb mistake to make regularly.

Given a success rate of 25-35%, that means that for every 3-4 times they find what they’re looking for, they go to the wrong house. That’s a bonkers high catastrophic failure rate.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This. There are a lot of dirt poor white people, and a lot of wealthy black people. Not saying that African Americans don't experience poverty more as a whole in the country, but on an individual basis, this does sound like it was more about money/class than color/race.
Agreed, this is why I said this:

But on the same hand, there were plenty of racial undertones in that courtroom and in the South. But I was white and got tied up with the law just the same...

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Supposedly ~10% of the time, according to an NYPD commissioner in 2003. Maybe it’s gotten better since then? But I’ve still heard about a lot of them. Not all of them end up in death or injury, but still, that’s a really dumb mistake to make regularly.

Given a success rate of 25-35%, that means that for every 3-4 times they find what they’re looking for, they go to the wrong house. That’s a bonkers high catastrophic failure rate.
i don't know enough about this to comment intelligently, but it does seem like a dumb mistake.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i don't know enough about this to comment intelligently, but it does seem like a dumb mistake.
Neither do I, at least not beyond just parroting statistics and people more knowledgeable on the topic than I am. But surely things like this should be looked into by non-biased third party groups/agencies to see what improvements and policy changes can be made to make things safer for everyone involved, civilians and officers.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Agreed, this is why I said this:

But on the same hand, there were plenty of racial undertones in that courtroom and in the South. But I was white and got tied up with the law just the same...
i am confused, usually you are much clearer in your responses than this?

there was racism but you got treated the same?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Neither do I, at least not beyond just parroting statistics and people more knowledgeable on the topic than I am. But surely things like this should be looked into by non-biased third party groups/agencies to see what improvements and policy changes can be made to make things safer for everyone involved, civilians and officers.
i am all for that, provided the people looking into it are serious about making improvements and not political points.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
i am confused, usually you are much clearer in your responses than this?

there was racism but you got treated the same?
Lol, sorry. I think you could sense the racism in the courtroom. And having General Lee hanging in the courtroom was probably a bit much.

But yeah, I wound up just the same so it was more about police corruption in general and I was lucky to have the ability to withstand the storm through financial means.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Lol, sorry. I think you could sense the racism in the courtroom. And having General Lee hanging in the courtroom was probably a bit much.

But yeah, I wound up just the same so it was more about police corruption in general and I was lucky to have the ability to withstand the storm through financial means.
gotcha...tbh i've visited way more countries than i have states and haven't spent much time in southern states. i was stationed in norfolk for 5 years but didn't really notice much racism there-of course i was drunk when out in the town back then, and i lived on the ship.

Hilltern

Awards
  • First Up Vote

Not at all what I’m saying. I can’t imagine their sacrifices nor what it takes to be operating at that level and wouldn’t pretend to for a second. I do however trust the opinion of the guy who ran SEAL training. Who would be better qualified to chime in on that than him? Doing high stress training makes logical sense but the 20% figure is directly from him and seems to make some sense at face value.

Hilltern

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, seals are way beyond even normal military, which itself has more hours training than police from what I’ve read. Not to mention even the physical requirements to be a SEAL alone would make most would-be applicants ineligible. It’s apples and oranges comparing the elite of the military to the average cop.
Right but no one was talking about having your average PD go through BUDs lol (could you imagine the sight though?). The comparison is entirely about amount of time spent training and training relevant to the job. That’s all. I don’t think Jocko made a bad recommendation in that regard since we all agree they need more training and here’s a guy who’s been there done that and chiming in with his $0.02 on what it could take to get it done.