Anyone worried if Corona virus keeps spreading the gyms will shut down?

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Absolutely ridiculous. To think there are actually people out there saying that the pandemic has brought out the best in people and that the world is going to change for the better.

I think it has brought out the worst in people, and an already f*cked up world has and will continue to get much worse.
I expected it. I take my life in my hands riding my bike to work because they don't stop at stop signs, and sometimes not at red lights. Turn on red, means, stop-look-turn... If they cannot obey basic fucking traffic laws, what makes anyone believe they can have the least consideration for anyone but themselves!?

This is truly a state of assholes.

It's the old people that are doing this, and it's not because they can't see; or have some handicap.
They. don't. care. I mean, my wife offered to help a 'gent' with his groceries, and he gave her **** about woman drivers... it was pouring rain, and she offered to drive him to his car... That got ugly fast. She doesn't take **** from anyone, so she told him to go **** himself. "Women drivers eh?"... He was an old asshole in a scooter... for real.

Honestly now, we don't have the market cornered on assholes. I'm sure they are everywhere, but they come here to retire.
lol.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The problem with this outrageous behavior is not the virus or the lockdown... it is a lack of any real consequence. Someone coughs in your face like that, they should get punched in the face. That simple. But because of the snowflake mentality and frivolous lawsuits, these scumbags KNOW there will be no real consequence and continue their bad behaviors. Starting at younger ages every year - think of school behaviors. No more corporal punishment and this is what you end up with. Scumbags throwing buckets of water on police.

I think back to the Marines, and the problem child we had named Talone. Almost 37 years ago and I still remember that kid. Could have been right out of the movie FMJ. And the drill instructor clearly wanted us to take matters into our own hands and deal a little justice/education outside of what he was legally allowed to do himself. But I remember arguing with the guys against it, based on following the letter of the law as he also explained. Thinking back I was wrong, and he was just giving the require CYA statement prior to the needed beatdown. Duh! I was too young and naïve to catch that.

And now those same F***ups are walking the wrong way in the aisles at Walmart, because no one every forced them to conform to the rules. I am thinking a shopping cart demolition derby is coming soon....
YES! I have told so many people, for YEARS, that it should be perfectly acceptable to punch someone right in the face if they do something that justifies it. If people knew they were going to get a beat down for doing something stupid, they would modify their behavior. Or get beat down.

People certainly act like they are the center of the universe when they are allowed to act like that.

Isn't there any way to deal with hard cases in the military other than a group beat down with pillow cases and soap or D Cell Batteries? I get it. You may have to rely on that person in a life or death situation. How does one get them to respect another life they are the caretaker for one day?

Civilians are worse if you ask me. They / 'we' take our freedoms for granted and have overly expectations of righteousness even though it may infringe on another's safety. A great parallel would be drinking and driving. You are taking the lives of others in your hands as well your own with stupid unnecessary bravado.

This remains my fear in Florida as so many act just like this during normal life events let alone post lockdown...
This is the thing in society. We have become so sheltered from "the real world" that we are actually removed from the reality that the ONLY real way to control anyone is through physical force. Any other coercion you employ requires they give you power. If I don't value your money, it cannot control me. If I don't want what you have, you cannot control me. But if you can pin me to the ground and put a boot in the back of my head - then you have my compliance.

I'm not saying it should be a first line of defense. Or even a second or third line, but the fact is that I can only control another human being through force and they can only control me through force, and if someone is unwilling to comply - the only way you can make them comply is...yup...through force. And if you don't have the force to do so, then you are up the creek.

Often, the mere fear of the force will get someone to comply - but they are ultimately the one to decide if they give you that power. If they don't fear you, you got nothing.

This is something that people should really think about when discussing the second amendment.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Here's another thought: When my wife's grandfather was placed in a retirement home, it was bitter sweet. Mostly bitter because I admired the man greatly, and he lived across from the doctor's office where she worked so visiting was easy for us. The problem is, this is endemic of our culture in the USA, and that is coming to bite us all in the ass fast because Covid-19.

I've often lamented how we can just place our older family members in homes because my family took care of their elders until they died. I lived with my family from Sicily for years, and saw my grandfather; uncle; aunt; and grandmother die in that house. They lived there until they died there, and it was to me, the right thing. Surrounded by family. Always.

We discard our elderly. Tuck them away.
Maybe a discussion for another time, but it applies as Covid-19 is running rampant in these retirement homes.
Would it be different if they lived at home? Maybe.. Maybe family would take better care to not infect them and one another?

It's a failure of our culture.

BamBam54

BamBam54

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Here’s one that’ll blow your mind fellas - I’ve closed both my gyms (well I’m out of them anyway).....now obviously it must be because of corona....

well sadly not. Whilst that was going to make it hard what made it harder was my cunt rat bastard business partner (and ex best mate) shagging my missus behind my back for the past year (been married 11 years with 2 kids).....

having to resist ripping his head off simply so the kids don’t have to go through any more.

but I’ll sure as **** ruin his life.

💯 not the reason I thought I’d leave the industry that’s for sure 😂

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Here’s one that’ll blow your mind fellas - I’ve closed both my gyms (well I’m out of them anyway).....now obviously it must be because of corona....

well sadly not. Whilst that was going to make it hard what made it harder was my cunt rat bastard business partner (and ex best mate) shagging my missus behind my back for the past year (been married 11 years with 2 kids).....

having to resist ripping his head off simply so the kids don’t have to go through any more.

but I’ll sure as **** ruin his life.

💯 not the reason I thought I’d leave the industry that’s for sure 😂
BLANKET PARTY material for sure!!!

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think Florida has always has morons but the state has done a great job with the covid. Not having any issues here, if you are not feeling comfortable then I agree you should stay in. People should wear masks for others more so than themselves but we know alot of Americans don't think like that. The goal was always to flatten the curve not eradicate the virus, need a vaccine for that. So can't just stay in lockdown forever. Everyone try and stay safe.

BamBam54

BamBam54

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Whisky - sorry to hear that news! Losing a gym is one thing, but a cheating business partner and wife is worse. Horrible thing!! I tend to blame both parties (granted - not knowing your situation) so perhaps one consolation is that you are better off in the long run without both of those cheaters. Take care of the kids, stay close in their hearts, and build a new better life moving forward...

Updated article on the "excess deaths" compared to year over year typical averages. I don't care that its the NYTimes. Just looking at a good collection of the data.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/05/05/us/coronavirus-death-toll-us.html

The argument should be made that we really have three different scenarios and they should be treated very differently to match. The six worst hit states are one thing, where serious quarantine made sense (at first, maybe longer?) but the middle states are not much more than a manageable bump in the numbers and are you ready for this..... some FOURTEEN states had less than 10 excess deaths each in total since the whole mega pandemic began. How do you keep an entire shutdown that had less than a dozen more people die in total than on any other typical annual average??

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Whisky - sorry to hear that news! Losing a gym is one thing, but a cheating business partner and wife is worse. Horrible thing!! I tend to blame both parties (granted - not knowing your situation) so perhaps one consolation is that you are better off in the long run without both of those cheaters. Take care of the kids, stay close in their hearts, and build a new better life moving forward...

Updated article on the "excess deaths" compared to year over year typical averages. I don't care that its the NYTimes. Just looking at a good collection of the data.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/05/05/us/coronavirus-death-toll-us.html

The argument should be made that we really have three different scenarios and they should be treated very differently to match. The six worst hit states are one thing, where serious quarantine made sense (at first, maybe longer?) but the middle states are not much more than a manageable bump in the numbers and are you ready for this..... some FOURTEEN states had less than 10 excess deaths each in total since the whole mega pandemic began. How do you keep an entire shutdown that had less than a dozen more people die in total than on any other typical annual average??
thanks brother. Yeah they are both too blame. Both should have obviously said no. A drunken one night thing is bad but could be viewed as a mistake, this was going on for a year......and would have continued had I not found out.

onwards and upwards though.

Assuming we ever get out from under this damn corona issue....

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

I think they are getting close to having drugs that will make symptoms more manageable...once this happens it's a game changer, imo.

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Local gym I go to has already said they will probably be taking reservations when they open up. Probably at least a month away from opening, but I don't like the idea of trying to make a reservation to work out. I didn't ask any questions, I figure it's too soon and so much can change. But what if I want to go after work at 5pm but can't because it's booked? Why should I have to pay a membership for something I can't use? I just foresee a lot of problems in the future. But until then, it's just wait and see.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Local gym I go to has already said they will probably be taking reservations when they open up. Probably at least a month away from opening, but I don't like the idea of trying to make a reservation to work out. I didn't ask any questions, I figure it's too soon and so much can change. But what if I want to go after work at 5pm but can't because it's booked? Why should I have to pay a membership for something I can't use? I just foresee a lot of problems in the future. But until then, it's just wait and see.
The gyms I work at are doing something similar, just starting with outdoor classes starting Tuesday. But since only 9 can participate in the class, they need to register 24 hours prior if the want to ensure their slot. We also moved all the equipment around inside for when we do reopen the inside everything is 6-10 feet apart along with signs all over limiting how many people are in each area. It’s a shadow of its former self.

Last edited:
enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My gym is doing the same with the scheduling.. My days off have no rhyme or reason.. I work out when I can.. Trying to schedule a workout probably isn't going to work for me..

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
More of my boring math...

Just learned something you guys may be interested in - R0 is used to calculate herd immunity. I did not know this.

The formula is 1- (1/R0)

So, if the R0 is the original 2.3 that was estimated, we need about 55% of the population to get this for herd immunity.

If it is as high as the 5.7 that more recent studies have suggested, we need about 82.5% of the population to get this for herd immunity. That's 272,000,000 people in the US. You can apply any of the math above, but that would lead to somewhere around 2.5M deaths.

Still, while that was in a medical journal, I feel like there is more to it, because the formula would suggest something like the flu, with an R0 or 1 or so, has herd immunity from the first infection?

Also, new data from Boston suggests 1 in 10 people in the populatiom has antibodies. The population of the city is roghly 695,000. It is difficult to get covid data for the city, but Suffolk County has a population of approx. 804,000.

There are almost 17,300 cases in Suffolk County.

You can apply 10% to 804,000 and that yields 80,400 infections and 17,300 cases show up in the hospital - which means 21% of the cases or a little more than 1 out of every 5 cases are being confirmed.

Or you can take 695,000/804,000 = 86.4% and apply that to 17,400 = 14,947.

10% of 695,000 = 69,500.

14,946/69,500 = 21.5%

So, it looks like the serology data, by my math, and based in all of the antibody data that is rolling in, suggests we are confirming 1/7 - 1/5 of the cases.

So extrapolating, that would suggest we have roughly 11M people infected with this virus in the US so far and 97,000+ deaths.

This is only just beginning is my take.

If we need 50% of the population to get this (which looks highly optimistic) we are almost 1/15th of the way there. If we we need 80+% - we are about 1/25 of the way there.

Bambam has brought up some good points about the overall deaths. My initial reaction is that people are hunkering down and there is a significant reduction in d a aths from that - fewer car accidents, work accidents, shifts in crime, etc.

I have also seen a few articles suggesting that the overall death rates imply that we are undercounting covid deaths by quite a bit.

In the end, I don't know enough about the numbers to have much of an opinion...but it is a valid and interesting point.

As a side note, I also believe the death rate for sleeping with someone's wife can be pretty high. Some people, however, are more mature than I am.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Also, as TheBigT suggested...an effective treatment would change all of this, of course. This is just reflecting the current situation and what it would take to get herd immunity.

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
For those who have gyms scheduling your workouts, are they charging everybody their monthly membership rate? Side note, I also believe my gym will give out preferential treatment to some people.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Also, as TheBigT suggested...an effective treatment would change all of this, of course. This is just reflecting the current situation and what it would take to get herd immunity.
I don't put much faith in a effective vaccine, but I do think they are close to having treatments that would make symptoms much less severe.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
My gym is doing the same with the scheduling.. My days off have no rhyme or reason.. I work out when I can.. Trying to schedule a workout probably isn't going to work for me..
Funny you say that...the work/class schedule I’m going to running is going to make it difficult to get my home workouts in.
For those who have gyms scheduling your workouts, are they charging everybody their monthly membership rate? Side note, I also believe my gym will give out preferential treatment to some people.
The gyms I work for gave everyone the option to stick with them or put membership on hold through email links.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The second wave is starting at my hospital in Maine.

I had four days off and went back in today. The last day I worked, we had 2 positive pt’s on Hi-Flow oxygen. I came back in today and we had 3 intubated/vented COVID pt’s and 2 new people on Hi-Flow oxygen.

Meanwhile, there are many more out of state cars on the road than those with Maine plates for the holiday weekend. We all expect this second wave with ongoing tourism is going to overburden our facility significantly. For now, these patients remain individually isolated until we get enough to justify making the entire wing negative pressure. Donning, doffing, and reusing PPE in between all these rooms is horrendous.

We have all grown very tired of this, and it’s added so much additional stress to a job that was already a battle. This is going to burn out many healthcare workers. I’m not sure how long I can deal with all this myself.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The second wave is starting at my hospital in Maine.

I had four days off and went back in today. The last day I worked, we had 2 positive pt’s on Hi-Flow oxygen. I came back in today and we had 3 intubated/vented COVID pt’s and 2 new people on Hi-Flow oxygen.

Meanwhile, there are many more out of state cars on the road than those with Maine plates for the holiday weekend. We all expect this second wave with ongoing tourism is going to overburden our facility significantly. For now, these patients remain individually isolated until we get enough to justify making the entire wing negative pressure. Donning, doffing, and reusing PPE in between all these rooms is horrendous.

We have all grown very tired of this, and it’s added so much additional stress to a job that was already a battle. This is going to burn out many healthcare workers. I’m not sure how long I can deal with all this myself.
I’ve just about flipping had it. I worry for my wife. I’m back at work myself. No more remote work.

Honestly my nerves are not great and last night I slept ok for once in a week. I’m de-loading and starting up on Tues again on my cut.

I hope you can hold up my man. My heart is out to you.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I’ve just about flipping had it. I worry for my wife. I’m back at work myself. No more remote work.

Honestly my nerves are not great and last night I slept ok for once in a week. I’m de-loading and starting up on Tues again on my cut.

I hope you can hold up my man. My heart is out to you.
Thank you, I wish you and your wife the best as well!

My mental health is definitely declining. I’m doing OK, but I know the worst is coming- with no end in sight.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
@Ricky10 and @justhere4comm 's wife...

Keep up the good fight. People are doing stupid things. They should see it coming by now, but they aren't willing. You are going to be needed. Make sure you take care of yourselves as best you can.

I see the same thing on Cape Cod. Lots of tourists with out-of-state plates showing up. Everything is "back to normal". Luckily a lot of people around me are still wearing masks at the grocery stores, which I was pleasantly surprised by, but the 6 feet rule is barely in effect.

Having been doing the .at with BamBam and seeing that 1-2M people or maybe a lot more will likely die from this, and we aren't even at 100,000 yet and we are now opening things up again...I can't imagine what the next 2 years is going to be like if we don't discover a vaccine.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Late September I gotta remember to really stock up on toilet paper and hand soap !!!!!!!
There hasn't been regular hand soap at the dollar general or Aldi near me in like 2 weeks lol. Had to buy a big refill bttl

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
So there have been 3 ppl I know in the past week test positive. 2 of them I come in contact with often lol. Rip smont.

1 of them has what seems to be a cold and he's always been good about mask and gloves so I don't think he's going to spread it. The other 2 guys were asymptomatic.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
But it also goes to show that the mask n gloves are not stopping you from getting it. He's always got it on. but I would assume that would stop him from spreading it correct?

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
But it also goes to show that the mask n gloves are not stopping you from getting it. He's always got it on. but I would assume that would stop him from spreading it correct?
Yeah, my take is that it is more effective at stopping you from giving it to others. It may stop you from touching your face. I also see a lot of people who half-azz wear the masks...I would have never guessed wearing a mask took so much effort you could half azz it, but it turns out to be true. People can't put it over their nose or even let it fall below their mouth.

As to your asymptomatic friends - why did they get tested if they had no symptoms?

I have been thinking that with all the excitement over testing, we may not be missing as many asympyomatic people as we are led to believe.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Yeah, my take is that it is more effective at stopping you from giving it to others. It may stop you from touching your face. I also see a lot of people who half-azz wear the masks...I would have never guessed wearing a mask took so much effort you could half azz it, but it turns out to be true. People can't put it over their nose or even let it fall below their mouth.

As to your asymptomatic friends - why did they get tested if they had no symptoms?

I have been thinking that with all the excitement over testing, we may not be missing as many asympyomatic people as we are led to believe.
The other 2 are union laborers that work at the nuke plant. They random test x amount of ppl daily

BamBam54

BamBam54

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
In Maryland I see most all people wearing masks, but MANY do not put the mask up over their noses. Harder/hotter less fun to wear them correctly. Noticed this at the burger king drive though, at least 3 people in sight working there did not have masks over noses. I got the Big King burger and a dose of covid....

Last edited:
justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

Humor break, even though it kind of applies to our current situation.

Reactions: Nac
BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’m over wearing a mask. I can’t stand it. Unless it’s an N-95, I don’t think it does much. Some stores you have to wait in a line just to get in. I am over this as well. I don’t think any of this crap makes any difference.

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’m over wearing a mask. I can’t stand it. Unless it’s an N-95, I don’t think it does much. Some stores you have to wait in a line just to get in. I am over this as well. I don’t think any of this crap makes any difference.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It does protect you and others. It's an incredible nuisance but trust me, it does help.
I think we're all kind of losing it a bit.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think the masks I’m wearing are making me dizzy. Bought them from Etsy and they came with a filter. What’s the risk of low oxygen or high CO2 from wearing a mask that doesn’t breathe enough? Any chance of that?

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think the masks I’m wearing are making me dizzy. Bought them from Etsy and they came with a filter. What’s the risk of low oxygen or high CO2 from wearing a mask that doesn’t breathe enough? Any chance of that?
I have the surgical masks and I get dizzy w/ a headache.
They just gave me the NP95 masks and they are worse. It's a solid question. I hope someone can offer a decent answer.
My wife wears them all day long and she's ok, which blows my mind. She says, they take opportunities to breath when possible away from patients. It may require some adjustment.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
They just gave me the NP95 masks and they are worse. It's a solid question. I hope someone can offer a decent answer.
My wife wears them all day long and she's ok, which blows my mind. She says, they take opportunities to breath when possible away from patients. It may require some adjustment.
Gotcha. Yeah, I mean, I deal with all kinds of weird symptoms on a daily basis as I react to everything, but every time I put it on, in about 15 minutes I feel really out of it and a little dizzy.
Does this happen to anyone else?

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm not sure what these masks are but if it's anything like a respirator mask, they absolutely can cut off your air supply.most people are fine with respirators but there are occasions where people pass out wearing them

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm talking about high quality fitted respirators, not dust masks with a respirator