Anyone worried if Corona virus keeps spreading the gyms will shut down?

maximillia

maximillia

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I've used a lot of different things over the years... Door frames, pushups, etc ....

But most of my muscle was put on at home with a bench, bars, and lots of iron, man.
No kidding, I would suck dick for some Iron right now ( offer valid till stocks last). I got some stuff but it's very low quality. Sigh.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I actually knew a truck driver YEARS ago who only did pushups, and situps. Dude was BIG and pretty ripped.
think Hershel walker!!!

bradleyt1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Does any one have any rough estimate how long the gyms will stay closed for? I’m thankful I have a set of golds gym adjustable dumbbells that go from 10s to 50s and then a squat rack with bar with like 4 x 45 lb plates and 35s 25s.. latpull down bar couple of benches.. never thought I would use it and here we are.. I mean I gonna have to train outside of my comfort zone with something like legs with no leg press but good old squats or single leg squats I really can’t complain..

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Does any one have any rough estimate how long the gyms will stay closed for? I’m thankful I have a set of golds gym adjustable dumbbells that go from 10s to 50s and then a squat rack with bar with like 4 x 45 lb plates and 35s 25s.. latpull down bar couple of benches.. never thought I would use it and here we are.. I mean I gonna have to train outside of my comfort zone with something like legs with no leg press but good old squats or single leg squats I really can’t complain..
do they still sell bullworkers?

I got pretty huge on a 9 month cruise when I was in the navy-worked real well for upper body!!! cheap compared to other stuff.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
my sister just told me she can't find ammo anywhere...anyone know of a reliable online ammo dealer?

lol, I am stocked up...I might run out of toilet paper but have a stockpile of guns/ammo.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't. Not at all. Hate me if you want. I am not, and never was, under the illusion that this life is some given, some permanent thing. Anybody can die at any time. People get old and vulnerable, nobody did that, it's life. I would be saying this If I was old, and now you will scoff. That's fine. I feel some hypocrisy here. People are acting like they care so much about human life. Look at this planet. I will never for a moment buy that humans care about human life. We don't. This is all selfish nonsense. I get it. Old people want to live, well newsflash. Diseases just come up apparently, nobody made them. I don't have to do jack to protect you, if you are old. Protect yourself. I got my life that I didn't ask for, and you got yours. And you don't have to do jack for me, because you aren't doing it in the first place. There's just something here, something bothering me. This feeling, of shameless hypocrisy. If people gave a **** about human life, We would risk our lives to defeat the tyrants of our world, but we don't do that. The only thing we can do? is to cower in fear, and pathetically cling to our lives. What makes us want to live so much? What has humanity done to want to live so much? Maybe hitting that gym once more and dying is better than staying home and clinging to our useless asses. Protect the vulnerable, hah. The vulnerable? the old? I know of so many more who are so much more vulnerable and we never gave a ****. I give no shits about the old.
What the f**k are you on about? So, on an individual level, it’s either risk life and limb to overthrow foreign tyrants, or be a selfish prick who doesn’t give two shits if they infect an elderly person or a cancer patient (who could be quite young) with the Corona virus?
By the time funds are received, 1k dollars shall provide 5 cases of water and 2 packs of hot dogs. Generic brand.
Why is everyone stocking up on water? If you’re in a place where the tap water is drinkable, you’re fine drinking it. Are you expecting the water supply to go down? I know that here in South Florida, the only emergency prep people know is for hurricanes, so people stock up on water, but this is a virus, not a hurricane.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
What the f**k are you on about? So, on an individual level, it’s either risk life and limb to overthrow foreign tyrants, or be a selfish prick who doesn’t give two shits if they infect an elderly person or a cancer patient (who could be quite young) with the Corona virus?

Why is everyone stocking up on water? If you’re in a place where the tap water is drinkable, you’re fine drinking it. Are you expecting the water supply to go down? I know that here in South Florida, the only emergency prep people know is for hurricanes, so people stock up on water, but this is a virus, not a hurricane.
lol...in south florida the beaches are flooded-with spring breakers...

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Somebody had to be the bad guy. Technically I can prove you wrong, If I wanted to. It is true that people don't care about each other. I won't argue that, because I am not happy about it or encourage it. I am just pissed. and well, look. If I was sick, I would stay away from Old people, of course I would. I am not out to hurt people. BUT. I am 100% positive that there is a bit of hypocrisy out there. If people can respond like this to a virus, we could defeat other far more serious stuff as well. I won't name that stuff here. What I am pointing out is- When it comes to saving our own hide, we are at the front desk. And it's all about saving your own hide, people say it's for others, no it's not. yeah, I am a cynic. I won't apologise for that. You don't have to like me or bear with me. If the same concerned people out there were so noble, they would have cared about so much more than this. That does include me. That's what it's all about. When there is no virus, I don't make this world a better place. Now that there's a virus, I will pretend I care about others when really all I want is not to get sick myself? I won't do it. So, I will say that I don't give a ****. Either way, I am taking precautions. Not going places, washing etc. But, I am doing it for myself and, for the gym, I would put myself at risk. The consequences of that are not within my view. Not wishing ill, not wishing well.
This reminds me of a debate the Stoic philosopher Epictetus had with Epicurean philosophers.

The latter group claimed that humans are selfish, and that we should seek our pleasure, and that there is no natural fellowship between men. Epictetus responded by saying that, if this were true, why would the Epicureans bother telling others of this? Why spend so much time trying to teach and convince people that there is no fellowship between men if you truly believe it. Would it not be more beneficial to an Epicurean to allow other people to incorrectly believe there is a fellowship, which would make them easier to take advantage of for personal gain?

So, it can be argued that, by trying to convince others of Epicurean philosophy, that is, that there is no fellowship among men, you are disproving the philosophy with your actions, as you’re going out or your way to try to help your fellow man.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I read you on the water. I use tap for myself, but the wife drinks the one brand Nestle Pure Life only for some reason. Now that people have gone out of their minds, I can't get it for her per usual. It's really maddening. I mean really. I'm cheap. I paid $15.00 for bottle water with super hero's on the label because it was in stock; delivered; and it's for her.

Hell. I read you on all of it.
It's not a hurricane. Just buy the food you need, so others can get food too.

My brother in Chicago is a fireman.
He was on duty and his turn to make the menu for the next 24.
You know what? There was no f*cking food at the store and everyone ignored him.
I'm aggravated for him as well.

People are losing their minds.
It's like a bad twilight zone episode.

-

On a side note: (Funny)
I was walking the dog.
Some guy was walking toward us, and I could tell his intent was to say hi to the dog...
(Not a good idea)

You see, our dog becomes protective on leash.
He'll let you get close enough but he's got this switch.
He will turn his head and in a moment inform you, you've been around too long.

Like clock work, I saw him turn his head after the guy said hi...
I pulled him tight an then he turned on the guy to inform him, he's better of walking away.
I told the guy, yeah, he's not to fond of anyone for too long. (Loves kids though)

I didn't tell him this part.
Off leash, he will play with anyone.
He really does love kids.

I like that.
He's also 85lbs of muscle; fur, and teeth.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I read you on the water. I use tap for myself, but the wife drinks the one brand Nestle Pure Life only for some reason. Now that people have gone out of their minds, I can't get it for her per usual. It's really maddening. I mean really. I'm cheap. I paid $15.00 for bottle water with super hero's on the label because it was in stock; delivered; and it's for her.

Hell. I read you on all of it.
It's not a hurricane. Just buy the food you need, so others can get food too.

My brother in Chicago is a fireman.
He was on duty and his turn to make the menu for the next 24.
You know what? There was no f*cking food at the store and everyone ignored him.
I'm aggravated for him as well.

People are losing their minds.
It's like a bad twilight zone episode.

-

On a side note: (Funny)
I was walking the dog.
Some guy was walking toward us, and I could tell his intent was to say hi to the dog...
(Not a good idea)

You see, our dog becomes protective on leash.
He'll let you get close enough but he's got this switch.
He will turn his head and in a moment inform you, you've been around too long.

Like clock work, I saw him turn his head after the guy said hi...
I pulled him tight an then he turned on the guy to inform him, he's better of walking away.
I told the guy, yeah, he's not to fond of anyone for too long. (Loves kids though)

I didn't tell him this part.
Off leash, he will play with anyone.
He really does love kids.

I like that.
He's also 85lbs of muscle; fur, and teeth.
I’m a civil engineer; I work with water supply every day, and, at least where I live, I’m not concerned with drinking tap water at all. Nor am I conceded that it’ll go out. But I get you doing what you can to help make your wife happy.

Props to all the first responders and medical people in all of this. My dad was a firefighter for 20+ years. He’s retired now, but I can only imagine how stressful this must be to work during this, potentially exposed to sick people.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Props to all the first responders and medical people in all of this. My dad was a firefighter for 20+ years. He’s retired now, but I can only imagine how stressful this must be to work during this, potentially exposed to sick people.
X2!!!

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just a laugh based on current price gouging trends.
Nah, I have a Swiss ceramic water filter that I use in the backcountry if needed.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’m a civil engineer; I work with water supply every day, and, at least where I live, I’m not concerned with drinking tap water at all. Nor am I conceded that it’ll go out. But I get you doing what you can to help make your wife happy.

Well if living in a tight urban environment condos apartment building etc couldn't what happened in china here virus spreading through pipes at that point even if water is available you probably dont want to use it

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
As long as the plumbing isnt faulty and the outgoing wastewater doesnt mix with the drinking water that should never happen.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
As long as the plumbing isnt faulty and the outgoing wastewater doesnt mix with the drinking water that should never happen.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It is very stressful, but more so because of how they are making us misuse personal protective equipment in the hospital due to the shortage. For example, they are making us reuse N95 masks upon going in and out of COVID (or rule out) patients rooms, which is normally exactly what you don’t want to do. Once the mask is potentially contaminated after the first exposure, placing the same mask back on your nose and mouth is just a direct invitation for infection. They say it is their only option at this time..

Furthermore, we don’t all have access to the masks in a timely manner, which may be essential in such places as the emergency department. They literally told us if we are in a pinch, that we should put a plastic trash bag over our head. Ridiculous..

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well if living in a tight urban environment condos apartment building etc couldn't what happened in china here virus spreading through pipes at that point even if water is available you probably dont want to use it
Do you have a source on this happening in a place like the US? As in an actual academic source?

Edit: as others have said, the water you’re getting should NEVER come in contact with the water going out.

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Now that gyms are forced closed by the government, I am guessing this goes on for a month.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
All I have is what I saw on the news . I'm no expert that's for sure just remembering that the Chinese evacuated whole building

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
All I have is what I saw on the news . I'm no expert that's for sure just remembering that the Chinese evacuated whole building
I'm not saying it would never happen in the USA, but you'd probably be more likely to win the lottery, as that would put the people responsible in a position of probable HUGE civil and legal settlements and fines.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Somebody had to be the bad guy. Technically I can prove you wrong, If I wanted to. It is true that people don't care about each other. I won't argue that, because I am not happy about it or encourage it. I am just pissed. and well, look. If I was sick, I would stay away from Old people, of course I would. I am not out to hurt people. BUT. I am 100% positive that there is a bit of hypocrisy out there. If people can respond like this to a virus, we could defeat other far more serious stuff as well. I won't name that stuff here. What I am pointing out is- When it comes to saving our own hide, we are at the front desk. And it's all about saving your own hide, people say it's for others, no it's not. yeah, I am a cynic. I won't apologise for that. You don't have to like me or bear with me. If the same concerned people out there were so noble, they would have cared about so much more than this. That does include me. That's what it's all about. When the

I am sorry you feel the way you do @maximillia and applaud your being honest.

Yup, a lot of people don't care about others at all. I like to think I care about others though. I know sometimes I probably don't care enough. Sometimes I could do better. Sometimes I am so wrapped up in my own life that I may even forget to try.

And to quite Justhere4comm, sometimes there isn't much I can do, but I do the best I can.

There is this idea in psychology about "Maslow's Hierarchy if Needs" and it has a pyramid. The bottom level is the most basic needs like food and water and as you work up the levels of the pyramid you get into more complex human needs - like companionship, self actualization, etc.

And it is often said you cannot elevate to a higher level until you have fulfilled the base level. So you cannot self actualize if you aren't even capable of securing food and water. You have to focus on the more basic needs and work up.

And I think people can't help others when they cannot fulfill their own needs. But can all try to do the best we can.

And part of being a man is realizing the struggles of others and the struggles within yourself and making a choice to be better for yourself. It is something we all go through where we want to quit because so many people suck. And we want to just stop trying. Maybe the majority of people are not capable of compassion. But every person who can choose to be compassionate will maybe help someone else show compassion. And because you are upset about the way you see people acting tells me you are strong enough to make a choice. Be like the crowd or be strong and unique and different - regardless.

Just something I think about in my own life.

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
This whole thing is just surreal to think about. I honestly don't know what to think anymore

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was at the beach today in lake worth. Judge me if you want but I lost my job yesterday and the gym closed so I said fck it I’m going to the beach
Did you at least stay a handful of feet away from other people? I’d imagine if the beach was a madhouse maybe you’d have gone home? It’s one thing to be at the beach with good spacing; it’s another to be literally on top of dozens of other people while doing it.

maximillia

maximillia

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I am sorry you feel the way you do @maximillia and applaud your being honest.

Yup, a lot of people don't care about others at all. I like to think I care about others though. I know sometimes I probably don't care enough. Sometimes I could do better. Sometimes I am so wrapped up in my own life that I may even forget to try.

And to quite Justhere4comm, sometimes there isn't much I can do, but I do the best I can.

There is this idea in psychology about "Maslow's Hierarchy if Needs" and it has a pyramid. The bottom level is the most basic needs like food and water and as you work up the levels of the pyramid you get into more complex human needs - like companionship, self actualization, etc.

And it is often said you cannot elevate to a higher level until you have fulfilled the base level. So you cannot self actualize if you aren't even capable of securing food and water. You have to focus on the more basic needs and work up.

And I think people can't help others when they cannot fulfill their own needs. But can all try to do the best we can.

And part of being a man is realizing the struggles of others and the struggles within yourself and making a choice to be better for yourself. It is something we all go through where we want to quit because so many people suck. And we want to just stop trying. Maybe the majority of people are not capable of compassion. But every person who can choose to be compassionate will maybe help someone else show compassion. And because you are upset about the way you see people acting tells me you are strong enough to make a choice. Be like the crowd or be strong and unique and different - regardless.

Just something I think about in my own life.
I respect you for saying that. That's all I will say. I was whining, I know. It's about that strength you mentioned.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
IMG_6770.JPG

Google “Imperial College in London Covid-19 report” for the full document referenced in this post.

BamBam54

BamBam54

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yeah, radio hosts are all talking about this report tonight. A good bit to read, but sounds like this report is what is driving the gov't to these extreme measures and drastic economic consequences... because the alternative is much much worse.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Did you at least stay a handful of feet away from other people? I’d imagine if the beach was a madhouse maybe you’d have gone home? It’s one thing to be at the beach with good spacing; it’s another to be literally on top of dozens of other people while doing it.
My wife and I found a fairly secluded area. There was 3 other people in the ocean while I was in there

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
View attachment 192315

Google “Imperial College in London Covid-19 report” for the full document referenced in this post.
Yes, I’m afraid that is the reality of things. It’s still hard for some people to believe because it seems like a nightmare we will wake up from. Unfortunately, the nightmare is just beginning and it will still be there every morning we wake up for many months.

I’m trying to focus on it less at this point- at least during my time off. We are in for some horrific times..:confused:

The only things that will soften the blow:

1) Antivirals/vaccine
2) Seasonal ”dying off” of the virus
3) Divine intervention

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This is overblown man
Feels exaggerated
Feel free to read the full 20 page report and lmk what you think. I plan on getting through it tomorrow.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
How ‘comfortable’ will y’all be jumping back in the ‘gym scene’ if they open in 2 weeks?

Or will you wait a bit longer despite doors opening?

I’m worried my gym is just too cheap to properly clean the whole thing between the time of doors closing til whenever it opens.
(It’s a privately owned Golds and the first ive ever been to without a dedicated cleaning service or employees)

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If there was a gym that basically said "we will remain open, and any paying member is welcome, but all bets are off and you come at your own risk" Id be there like a muthafukker
Love that

Reactions: Nac

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
cough" agenda "cough" ulterior motive cough"

When did they ever care about our health? I don't know how I feel but risking my health over a virus? Or living under martial law?

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My gym is closed but the local junk food store is wide open with 20 people packed inside. Crazy times. Reopen da gyms