Any tips on how to quit Coffee/Caffeine?

Elit3

Awards
This is a sticking point for me in my attempt to improve my health. Years ago I was able to lay off the stuff with litle problem, now I can't seem to perform without it. When I was able to stop it for a period, I noticed better overall health, but my performance at work took a huge hit. I have adrenal dysfunction and I feel like I am in a catch 22 situation because of it. I also seem to have a problem with my dopamine receptors as well and so things like n-acetyl-tyrosine, mucuna/l-dopa, don't work.

Any suggestion on what worked for some of you coffee/energy drinkers out there?

ponysteak

ponysteak

Awards
Just slowly ease off of it. Find a new hobby to take your mind off of it. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Elit3

Awards
That is pretty much all I can do I guess. A hobby would be good. Thanks.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I just started splitting my coffee 50% regular. 50% decaf. Going to 100% decaf would be OK. I see no reason to cut out coffee entirely, unless that is just something you want to do.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It will be a rough few days, but look into Revamp. Once your body is able to recover from long-term stim use you will better able to reevaluate what you can do to help.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
It will be a rough few days, but look into Revamp. Once your body is able to recover from long-term stim use you will better able to reevaluate what you can do to help.
I am using Revamp as well. I believe it is making a significant difference for me.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am using Revamp as well. I believe it is making a significant difference for me.
I was always a big proponent of the original Reset AD, and now Revamp.

Elit3

Awards
I checked out the Revamp. It looks interesting. Can this product sensitize the dopamine receptors? I ask because it claims to clean the adrergenic receptors. Thanks guys.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I checked out the Revamp. It looks interesting. Can this product sensitize the dopamine receptors? I ask because it claims to clean the adrergenic receptors. Thanks guys.
That's not it's primary MOA, but adaptogens do fantastic things in the body.

drew.87

Awards
I did it be doing half decaf and half regular in the morning then using B12 in the day. I then cut to all decaf and B12. Now all I use is a liquid B12. Works great for me and I use to work at starbucks so I was addicted.

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
Yep Revamp and a slow taper down will help a ton.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's not it's primary MOA, but adaptogens do fantastic things in the body.
:yup:

I've taken a few complete stim detoxes and when I do it, I go cold turkey. The first 10-14 days are rough (headaches and withdrawal symptoms), but beyond that, I generally find that I feel fine.

The big things are making sure you get plenty of sleep and your diet is good. As long as you've got that stuff in check, it'll make it easier, too. And I've used Revamp to help out (as dsade said, adaptogens are great).

Bigez

Awards
I never had a problem with caffeine but i dipped wintergreen skoal for over 25 yrs and tried many ways to stop but finally had to realize it's mind over matter.I threw it away and never looked back.Was it easy-No.The best way to stop anything is to just stop.We can do anything we set our minds to do.Not being smart,just realistic.

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
I never had a problem with caffeine but i dipped wintergreen skoal for over 25 yrs and tried many ways to stop but finally had to realize it's mind over matter.I threw it away and never looked back.Was it easy-No.The best way to stop anything is to just stop.We can do anything we set our minds to do.Not being smart,just realistic.
Nice bro, I agree!!! I just quit Copenhagen after 16 years of at least a can a day! It's only been 45 days but it truly is mind over matter! My fuggin jaw has never been more sore from all the gum I chew now but it's better than cancer. Bigez, what made u quit and how long has it been?

Bigez

Awards
Actually years ago when my oldest son was about 6,he loved sunkist orange and i had been using it to spit in.Well he didn't know it and turned it up and got sick as a dog.I have never let myself live that down and I decided that day that whatever I am doing that affects my family in a negative way and would make them sick that I would stop doing it.I quit dipping that day along with everything else that I wouldn't want my son to do and have never looked back.I made it mind over matter because in life you have to be driven to accomplish goals.It is the best decision I ever made.Now when I see it I can't believe just how nasty a habit it really was.

Elit3

Awards
I did it be doing half decaf and half regular in the morning then using B12 in the day. I then cut to all decaf and B12. Now all I use is a liquid B12. Works great for me and I use to work at starbucks so I was addicted.
I have tried a similar approach before, minus the B-12, and it worked. What kind of B-12 and how much do you take? I'm currently taking methyl at 2000mcgs a day in a spray/orally... Maybing upping the dose would help. Thanks.

:yup:

I've taken a few complete stim detoxes and when I do it, I go cold turkey. The first 10-14 days are rough (headaches and withdrawal symptoms), but beyond that, I generally find that I feel fine.

The big things are making sure you get plenty of sleep and your diet is good. As long as you've got that stuff in check, it'll make it easier, too. And I've used Revamp to help out (as dsade said, adaptogens are great).
This is what I am noticing.

I was a fan of wintergreen skoal back in the day. Glad I stopped that. Totally agree with bold. The sooner the better, because it seems to get harder with age.

Thanks everyone!

Junior88

Awards
Improve your intake of water. This is particularly essential throughout the first couple of days as your body is modifying. Including just a little " lemon " for your water causes it to be flavor better and lemon can also be great for your body.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Yes, take it from someone who quit cold turkey: DO NOT QUIT COLD TURKEY.

I developed a severe anxiety disorder for quitting heavy coffee usage cold turkey. Slowly decrease it or you will be like me, having to take SSRI and Zanax.

BrainyMuscle

Awards
I agree do not go cold turkey, taper off over a few weeks is best especially if you dont want any major sides.

I tried Revamp and I'm not sure if it helped that much, did assist a little though. There are a number of different "adrenal fatigue/ adrenal reset" supps on the market, I seem to get the best from using something like Athletic Greens. It gives you a nice energy buzz thats purely from organic / whole macros etc like wheatgrass, tastes ok too and will speed up detoxing your liver which is one organ that also regulates alot of your natural energy especially if you have been a high stim user.

good luck!

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
Cold turkey is gonna suck and is harder to pull off. Have u tried doing tea in the morning instead. Itll satisfy your subconscious lust for somthing hot in the morning

DeFos3

DeFos3

Awards
To get off coffee/caffeine I used DandyBlend(best coffee subsititue out there). Initially I added 80mg of bulk caffeine powder to one cup in the morning and one in the afternoon. Then about every 5-7 days I cut the amount of caffeine added in half until I no longer felt the need for it. Had no problems with withdrawals/headaches whatsoever. However I will point out after a 12wk period of being stim-free I did incorporate a preworkout back into my diet so I am no longer "stim-free". But I do feel this methodology and approach can help a great number of people out there quit the "coffee kick" if they so choose to do so.

drew.87

Awards
I have tried a similar approach before, minus the B-12, and it worked. What kind of B-12 and how much do you take? I'm currently taking methyl at 2000mcgs a day in a spray/orally... Maybing upping the dose would help. Thanks.

I take some b12 that I get from a company called High Performance Fitness highperformancefitness.com. I like their tropical blast flavor the best. It's good stuff. It's an ounce a day. Better than pills. I take their multivitamin as well.

GORILLAWARIOR

GORILLAWARIOR

Awards
I've had trouble since my doc started me on adderall with AD fatigue. I didn't know about such products as revamp. I'll have to look into that and Athletic Edge as well. Good post. I think a few cups of coffee a day is great for you, but I understand where that can lead from one cup to a dozen.

We all have certain triggers and addiction problems, from caffeine and dip/skoal. (I was a college All-American in baseball so much respect to those who quit Copenhagen; our whole team would have it... While it wasn't hard for me to wean off, I can't say the same for ex. Teammates.

Anytime help is asked for, it shows strength. I've had a lot of medication withdrawal as well. The only thing I can say is never quit any addiction cold turkey (unless you can afford sleeping it off for a week or two. )

I like the idea of half regular /half decaf plus the supplements! Good luck.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I think coffee is fine as long as you just drink it black

Alpha Mind

Awards
Lots and lots of water and grapes. Quit smoking and red bull years ago with that method. If you're not smoking, I don't know how much the grapes will help, but they're certainly a deterrent if you smoke.

Also, Ginger and lemon tea is very helpful for this. Ginger improves your digestion (which coffee and esp. energy drinks can impair) and lemon assists in cleansing the liver. I use this stuff called Lemon Ginger Herb Plus Probiotics, made by Bigelow. I used to buy it from my grocery store, but they stopped carrying it so now I have to order it from the big boys (vitacost, luckyvitamin, etc.), who I seriously dislike, but the tea is legitimately that good.

Colbicide

Colbicide

Awards
  • Established
This is a sticking point for me in my attempt to improve my health. Years ago I was able to lay off the stuff with litle problem, now I can't seem to perform without it. When I was able to stop it for a period, I noticed better overall health, but my performance at work took a huge hit. I have adrenal dysfunction and I feel like I am in a catch 22 situation because of it. I also seem to have a problem with my dopamine receptors as well and so things like n-acetyl-tyrosine, mucuna/l-dopa, don't work.

Any suggestion on what worked for some of you coffee/energy drinkers out there?
Cold turkey. If you're really going to quit, just do it. Going to have to deal with withdrawl but it's the only way to quit without starting back up again. I suggest making sure you have something else that can replace it for a long while. When I quit smoking 12 years ago, I started chewing Big Red because it burned.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Cold turkey. If you're really going to quit, just do it. Going to have to deal with withdrawl but it's the only way to quit without starting back up again. I suggest making sure you have something else that can replace it for a long while. When I quit smoking 12 years ago, I started chewing Big Red because it burned.
Do not quit it cold turkey. You run the risk of developing an anxiety disorder like me. Refer to earlier post. Slowly decrease it.

Smoking is one thing, coffee is a completely different subject.

Colbicide

Colbicide

Awards
  • Established
Do not quit it cold turkey. You run the risk of developing an anxiety disorder like me. Refer to earlier post. Slowly decrease it.

Smoking is one thing, coffee is a completely different subject.
To each his own...

MurphyMove

Awards
Lot's of good suggestions here. I was not familiar with Revamp, so thanks to all the people who brought it up! I think I may need to order some to help me recover from all the stim usage this semester :scratchchin: