Any one here NOT a meat eater?

ripper225

Awards
I’ll start off saying I love meat (no homo). I was a big fan of keto/carnivore and Ive always relied heavily on animal protein to fill by dietary goals and keep hunger at bay. Recently I caught a Netflix show going on about how plant proteins are better for us as they don’t cause the same inflammatory responses within the cardio vascular system. The same show went on to highlight various athletes from bike riders, strong man, body builders, football players, ultra long distance runners, sprinters, etc, all claiming that after switching to a plant based diet that they’ve exceeded their prior performance ability even years older than in their “prime.”

it seemed pretty convincing to the point where I might try it for a week and see how it goes, but I’m also a bit of a skeptic wondering if it’s just a propaganda hit piece on us eating meat.

I am curious if anyone here has experimented with plant based diet and if you felt it was a worthwhile pursuit.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’ll start off saying I love meat (no homo). I was a big fan of keto/carnivore and Ive always relied heavily on animal protein to fill by dietary goals and keep hunger at bay. Recently I caught a Netflix show going on about how plant proteins are better for us as they don’t cause the same inflammatory responses within the cardio vascular system. The same show went on to highlight various athletes from bike riders, strong man, body builders, football players, ultra long distance runners, sprinters, etc, all claiming that after switching to a plant based diet that they’ve exceeded their prior performance ability even years older than in their “prime.”

it seemed pretty convincing to the point where I might try it for a week and see how it goes, but I’m also a bit of a skeptic wondering if it’s just a propaganda hit piece on us eating meat.

I am curious if anyone here has experimented with plant based diet and if you felt it was a worthwhile pursuit.
Netflix definitely loves airing propaganda.

I eat a fairly "normal" diet, that includes a lot of meat.

One of the most beautiful ladies I've ever known was raised on a normal diet, including meat.

Later on, she decided to stop eating meat.
Both her body and face changed dramatically.
She was no longer the (physically) beautiful person that she once was.

Just some anecdotal truths ....

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I remember there was some talk about this a while back. Don’t remember all the details. I did watch the documentary they cherry picked a lot of information to push veganism. ( in my opinion)

It completely ignores studies on the benefits of animal products.

It also overstates the significance of small, observational studies.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I remember there was some talk about this a while back. Don’t remember all the details. I did watch the documentary they cherry picked a lot of information to push veganism. ( in my opinion)

It completely ignores studies on the benefits of animal products.

It also overstates the significance of small, observational studies.
I should add that I’m not knocking Veganism, I just feel it was a very one sided documentary.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

I personally don't eat meat, but its not for any of the fad/trendy reasons that are aired now days.

I ate meat for years, and I kind of stopped eating it by accident - meaning that I was diagnosed with an autoimmune condition back in 2011 and went through periods of eliminating various things from my diet to find out what was triggering certain flareups. I wound up having a very severe non-celiac autoimmune allergy to gluten. It had come on all of a sudden and now I have to be super careful to avoid cross contamination with it. I'm so allergic that for example, I took a youth group to Kings Dominion and one of the kids had eaten a pop tart and they got nervous in the crowd and held my hand, and it was hot and I wiped sweat off my mouth. As soon as I did it, I thought 'ah, dang' and sure enough, it triggered a flareup.

One day, I ordered a pizza with pepperoni on it and it made me super sick. It surprised me and then I realized that it had probably been 6 months or so since I'd ate meat because everything I ate meat with had gluten in it, so I had accidentally stopped eating meat when trying to first eliminate gluten - which was much harder back then because that was before all the good gluten free options were available like now days. So then, every time I tried to eat meat, it would make me sick at the stomach so I just stopped trying.

I don't do complete avoidance, like I'll take a gelatin capsule for example. And I do consume a lot of dairy, eat eggs, and I drink a lot of protein shakes, probably more than anyone else on here - because I do do a very high protein intake and have to accomplish it without eating meat.

There are people that have always ate meat that eliminate it and feel better, but there are also people that have been vegetarians that start eating meat and feel better. I think a lot of it comes down to which method works best for you and makes you feel better as an individual.

A big problem that people that don't eat meat encounter is not getting in enough protein total. I think that is responsible for a lot of the problems that are blamed on not eating meat, that its not so much that its the not eating meat, its the not consuming enough protein.

A couple of important observations as related to your post though:
  • A week wouldn't be enough time to really see how you adjust to it and if it would make you feel better.
  • Some of the athletes that you mentioned that said they exceeded their prior performance goals, it may not be specifically that eliminating meat helped them reach those goals - its that after years of the same thing, a change may have stimulated new progress.
  • IF you do decide to do that type of diet as an experiment, I personally would use a very good high quality whey protein isolate and a lot of it. I know the piece that you're talking about says to eliminate dairy too - but I wouldn't personally. If you eliminate more than one thing at a time, you don't know what's helping or not. For example, if you do feel a ton better, you may have felt better eliminating meat, but may have felt even better if had kept dairy. I hope that makes sense.
Plant proteins - I do not like the taste of hardly any plant proteins, but if you are going to switch to plant protein for your trial, I would strongly suggest Ketogenics IsoPlant and/or Body Nutrition PlentiPlants as they are both high quality and great tasting to be plant proteins.

I hope my post and information helps. I think its the first time I've detailed on here that I don't eat meat anymore - I normally keep it to myself because its a very unpopular take on here haha.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I personally don't eat meat, but its not for any of the fad/trendy reasons that are aired now days.

I ate meat for years, and I kind of stopped eating it by accident - meaning that I was diagnosed with an autoimmune condition back in 2011 and went through periods of eliminating various things from my diet to find out what was triggering certain flareups. I wound up having a very severe non-celiac autoimmune allergy to gluten. It had come on all of a sudden and now I have to be super careful to avoid cross contamination with it. I'm so allergic that for example, I took a youth group to Kings Dominion and one of the kids had eaten a pop tart and they got nervous in the crowd and held my hand, and it was hot and I wiped sweat off my mouth. As soon as I did it, I thought 'ah, dang' and sure enough, it triggered a flareup.

One day, I ordered a pizza with pepperoni on it and it made me super sick. It surprised me and then I realized that it had probably been 6 months or so since I'd ate meat because everything I ate meat with had gluten in it, so I had accidentally stopped eating meat when trying to first eliminate gluten - which was much harder back then because that was before all the good gluten free options were available like now days. So then, every time I tried to eat meat, it would make me sick at the stomach so I just stopped trying.

I don't do complete avoidance, like I'll take a gelatin capsule for example. And I do consume a lot of dairy, eat eggs, and I drink a lot of protein shakes, probably more than anyone else on here - because I do do a very high protein intake and have to accomplish it without eating meat.

There are people that have always ate meat that eliminate it and feel better, but there are also people that have been vegetarians that start eating meat and feel better. I think a lot of it comes down to which method works best for you and makes you feel better as an individual.

A big problem that people that don't eat meat encounter is not getting in enough protein total. I think that is responsible for a lot of the problems that are blamed on not eating meat, that its not so much that its the not eating meat, its the not consuming enough protein.

A couple of important observations as related to your post though:
  • A week wouldn't be enough time to really see how you adjust to it and if it would make you feel better.
  • Some of the athletes that you mentioned that said they exceeded their prior performance goals, it may not be specifically that eliminating meat helped them reach those goals - its that after years of the same thing, a change may have stimulated new progress.
  • IF you do decide to do that type of diet as an experiment, I personally would use a very good high quality whey protein isolate and a lot of it. I know the piece that you're talking about says to eliminate dairy too - but I wouldn't personally. If you eliminate more than one thing at a time, you don't know what's helping or not. For example, if you do feel a ton better, you may have felt better eliminating meat, but may have felt even better if had kept dairy. I hope that makes sense.
Plant proteins - I do not like the taste of hardly any plant proteins, but if you are going to switch to plant protein for your trial, I would strongly suggest Ketogenics IsoPlant and/or Body Nutrition PlentiPlants as they are both high quality and great tasting to be plant proteins.

I hope my post and information helps. I think its the first time I've detailed on here that I don't eat meat anymore - I normally keep it to myself because its a very unpopular take on here haha.
Very interesting I had no idea. One of my very good friends mom got insanely sick years ago, I mean to the point we almost lost her. Long story short come to find out her house was full of toxic mold hidden inside the walls behind sheet rock. During this thought she did a lot of blood work and during this blood work she discovered that she could not tolerate meat. Since she has recovered she is mostly meat free and she looks great and never been better.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Very interesting I had no idea. One of my very good friends mom got insanely sick years ago, I mean to the point we almost lost her. Long story short come to find out her house was full of toxic mold hidden inside the walls behind sheet rock. During this thought she did a lot of blood work and during this blood work she discovered that she could not tolerate meat. Since she has recovered she is mostly meat free and she looks great and never been better.
I'm glad to hear that she is doing better. Mold can be a very dangerous and scary thing.

There are more and more people that can't tolerate and digest meat well. Alpha Gal is becoming much more common now days.

And yeah, I don't talk about it much, I don't know if I've ever posted it on here before. I may have mentioned it here and there, but I don't think I'd ever typed out a full explanation of why I stopped eating meat. I'm sure I could have probably gradually reintroduced it and it would have gotten easier, but I never ate fish anyway and ate so much chicken when I was younger that I hated it. So for me, the biggest adjustment was ground beef and steak, and anytime I had ever eaten those, I had always ate them with something that had gluten in it, so I just never took the time to make them anymore and I couldn't eat out at places that served them because of cross contamination worries. And pizza, I had always ate pepperoni and sausage - so that was hard, but pizza crust has gluten in it anyway, so I could barely eat pizza back then. Now days, you can get really good gluten free pizza, but it was rare back then to be able to find it.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
1) I wouldn’t use a Netflix documentary to guide any major decisions. If it’s the one I’m thinking of it (like most of those kinds of things) doesn’t hold up to scrutiny well.

2) One week isn’t going to show you much and such a crazy shift in diet probably isn’t advisable.

That said balance is probably worth keeping in mind. While not the case in every situation many probably eat more meat than they need and not enough plants. There’s so many different ways you can eat that can be viable, I’d caution getting sucked into weird diet swings based on fads.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

You mean a Netflix movie about going vegan, made by vegans and only siting studies backed by vegan and animal rights organizations said plants are better🤪

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I remember former ravens linebacker Ray Lewis saying he quit red meat and only ate white meat and it increased his performance. I could probably go that far, but it would be tough and I'd need my beloved dairy!
I without a doubt feel my strongest when I'm eating a lot of steak and a lot of calories in general, I'd perfer a very lean low fat cut of beef over chicken.

A lot of reasons that these vegan propaganda studies show plants superior is because they use the high fat American trash diet as the comparison. If they took someone eating lean meats, fruits and vegetables there studies would get thrown in the crapper

Oliver Kween

Oliver Kween

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • Established
I remember this report.
here, In FR lots of Yotuber started talking about it. Whether it's BB or just Youtuber Fitness. a lot of them had their opinion. But a large number are left enchanted by the comedy.
I watched this report and I learned nothing but what I had already accumulated as information. Except for one detail. In this report the secondary effers have not or very little been addressed.

I've seen some wild Vegan comebacks(Jumped into veganism from day to day without a step) and reduced themselves to a weak, undernourished state. These people have not done any studies and research. They did it out of fashion and to follow a herd.

I have a relationship that does MMA and has been vegan since a young age. But everything is studied, protein, vitamin, supplements. He does everything. And is doing well. He does this by choice. One day he had eaten meat without doing it on purpose. Bloulettes that could have been confused with seitan or soy. This didn't do anything to him, no ES etc.

He is quite strong and fights well. He is still growing.
Sometimes I do meatless seasons (1 week to 15 days at most), I say meatless because I'm not vegan. I see it more as a cleansing process. That feels good.. But i like all to eat.

I have nothing against someone who doesn't eat meat or has a different food choice.

But I can't stand those who make it a fad that will say a year or two and go back to something else.

I heard that there is a little fashion where you have to expose your hole of ass turn from... naked to the sun to take advantage of vitamins, etc... ( Sun celebration.. or i forget.. )
Maybe this will be a very popular fad soon.
'Perineum sunning' is the insane hobby wellness influencers swear by (nypost.com)

Last edited:
johnl1800

johnl1800

Awards
  • Established
My wife had been eating vegetarian probably 90% of the time for the better part of ten years. She progressively felt worse and worse over time. After reading "The Great Plant Based Con" by Jayne Buxton and "The Carnivore Diet" by Shawn Baker she's changed her diet completely and now eats carnivore probably 90% of the time.

Many of the health issues that she had been seeing (bloat, gas, diarrhea, lack of energy, brain fog, poor sleep) quickly cleared up. She experimented occasionally adding things back in to see what she could and couldn't tolerate. She's found that some things are ok in moderation and others immediately cause issues. The likelihood of her going back to her old way of eating is nonexistent.

Personally I've been following the carnivore diet for the last eight months and haven't felt this good in years.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Recently I caught a Netflix show going on about how plant proteins are better for us as they don’t cause the same inflammatory responses within the cardio vascular system.
it's bullshit and giving information out of context.

we used to "know" that soy represented a plethora of health issues, including estrogen spikes in men and potentially cancer. Now that soy is the #2 cash crop in the nation you won't find those studies and it's your healthiest option.

Netflix definitely loves airing propaganda.
ha, was literally the first word in my head by the 2nd sentence.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
You mean a Netflix movie about going vegan, made by vegans and only siting studies backed by vegan and animal rights organizations said plants are better🤪

After reading "The Great Plant Based Con" by Jayne Buxton and "The Carnivore Diet" by Shawn Baker she's changed her diet completely and now eats carnivore probably 90% of the time.

my wifes metabolic specialist (phd, and practicing at e.r. as well) said he only eats red meat and fasts 1-5 days at a time. FWIW. he's fit, healthy, and does regular blood work.