Any love for Betaine Anhydrous Or HMB?

clint3612

Awards
Just wondering if any of you have had any success with either of them?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Use Betaine pretty regularly. I don’t feel it gives me a huge boost, but I’ve noticed strength gains are steadier when I add it back in after times I don’t take it.

Can’t say I’ve seen much from HMB though...

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Betaine has become a staple for a lot of people here and many daily supplements. Pretty much the Creatine school of just take it every day since it’s cheap and safe and just count on getting a “statistically significant” if not overly remarkable boost from it.

stopstalking

stopstalking

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Betaine anhydrous is pretty much a staple supp for me. SNS has 100 gram for 19.99 so doesn’t cost much to run.

stopstalking

stopstalking

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’m not Knocking anyone else but I keep my supplement brands pretty small. Brands I totally trust and brands that have been around a long time.

And now I just realized you said hcl

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You can get anhydrous for $23 per kg (~2.2lbs) too if you want to buy it in bulk. Or 250g for $15 from NutraBio who is top-notch quality and transparency if you don’t want to go the “bulk” route.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Betaine HCL is not the same thing as Betaine anhydrous though, so don’t do that.
I just re read that too lol

Betaine anhydrous is pretty cheap, I’ve only used (three tubs) of SNS. Although if nutrabio has it for that cheap I may just give it a try to compare!

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Betaine yes...2.5 grams per day. HMB...ehhh I’d pass

Chamaan

Chamaan

Awards
Just wondering if any of you have had any success with either of them?
Betaine and HMB are in my top 3 supps, behind creatine.

Betaine :
I started looking for product stacking creatine and betaine a few months ago. I went through 2 tubs of ghost size (30 servings each) and 1.5 tub of green Magnitude (80 servings) so basically i have been taking betaine everyday for 5 months.
This will sound like brosience but it drastically improved my vascularity. Veins are progressively appearing on my triceps and quads where i never had them before, although i have been training for approx. 5 years and i am lean.

HMB :
Not much to say except it's cheap and imo one of the most underated supps. I take it pre/post workout and before bed at approx. 4grams per day.
I notice i am leaner and stronger when i use it.
Cons are it can make you constipated at high doses, and it tastes like a rotten dead rat arse if you take it in bulk powder instead of tabs (which i highly recommend)

So for their costs and benefits, i believe they are pretty great supps.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have been taking both Betaine Anhydrous and HMB (Clear Muscle)

Betaine- When I started loading with 4gms a day, I did see some minor strength improvements.

HMB- I just don't know yet. I have been taking Clear Muscle since a month. I may be able to tell you if it helped after I check my BF and Muscle Mass ratios. This will take a couple weeks.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Isn’t the deal with HMB that it works best in conjunction with new/larger training volumes? It’s been a minute, but I think I remember that being the case. Correct me if I am wrong.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sns betaine works great for me

Haven’t really ran hmb to test it out but seems like hit & miss product

The Express 42

The Express 42

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah I always take my SNS Betaine and SNS Creatine HCL everyday. I seem to have much more endurance and strength than when I’m not taking these

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah I always take my SNS Betaine and SNS Creatine HCL everyday. I seem to have much more endurance and strength than when I’m not taking these
I do sns betaine with mcc

Should throw in sns hcl too .. but agree best and cheapest way to increase strength

danielmoo

danielmoo

Awards
  • Established
As previously mentioned, betaine is an easy choice as it is pretty inexpensive and easy enough to take every day with some evidence pointing towards possible greater power output.

HMB, however, has less evidence to support its use but I do recall showing that it had promise of retaining more LBM during caloric restriction periods.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Isn’t the deal with HMB that it works best in conjunction with new/larger training volumes? It’s been a minute, but I think I remember that being the case. Correct me if I am wrong.
Yes it’s generally referred to as more of an “anti-catabolic” than anabolic ingredient.

Theorized that in periods of greater stress like harder training blocks or intensity that it may work better.

I have used both Clear Muscle and calcium bound HMB with minimal benefits. My training is different than it used to be and probably closer to what would “theoretically” be a useful nowadays, but just can’t seem to get myself to pull the trigger on it to try. ?*♂

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I’ve taken both, I can honestly say that I do not see a big difference. They both did have positive effects, but very slight. Betaine I’ve taken with my creatine. I’ve also taken creatine mono without it. Both ways I’ve found to be effective. HMB I’ve taken a few times. Once I took as part of the evomuse product strafe and dosed it three times higher than suggested, as part of a sponsored log. That was the only time I found HMB to have noticeable recovery effects. This to me just didn’t financially make sense to continue though. Also I have to add that strafe has other ingredients.

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Don't creatine and betaine anhydrous have similar effects in the body (both osmolytes) ? If your muscles are fully saturated with creatine, what would adding betaine do?

StatePlan1425

StatePlan1425

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No love for poor HMB...honestly, I’m a fan but for only for a certain type of athlete. It shines with in season wrestles, judokas, MMA, Hell Week at BUDS, and other sports/occupations where their training routine is highly catabolic and caloric intake may be restricted. If your goal is powerlifting or bodybuilding you would (should) be training and eating differently and thus it may be less effective/needed.

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Don't creatine and betaine anhydrous have similar effects in the body (both osmolytes) ? If your muscles are fully saturated with creatine, what would adding betaine do?
Betaine has benefits to offer outside of cell hydration and creatine production support. It also aids methylation among other things

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Betaine has benefits to offer outside of cell hydration and creatine production support. It also aids methylation among other things
Pretty much this. There may not be a huge difference when they are combined, but Betaine also aids in some other health benefits as well (works as a methyl donor).

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Pretty much this. There may not be a huge difference when they are combined, but Betaine also aids in some other health benefits as well (works as a methyl donor).
This. And given it’s affordable price, safety, general health benefits, and it’s not needing to be cycled or taken at a specific time, I just take it with Creatine to form the basis of a stack that there’s no reason not to use haha.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No love for poor HMB...honestly, I’m a fan but for only for a certain type of athlete. It shines with in season wrestles, judokas, MMA, Hell Week at BUDS, and other sports/occupations where their training routine is highly catabolic and caloric intake may be restricted. If your goal is powerlifting or bodybuilding you would (should) be training and eating differently and thus it may be less effective/needed.
I’ve always enjoyed it when I really pushed the envelope with volume and/or frequency, but I’d opt for the cheap old HMB and not pay the premium for the FA.

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’ve always enjoyed it when I really pushed the envelope with volume and/or frequency, but I’d opt for the cheap old HMB and not pay the premium for the FA.
Not to mention the fact that there’s considerable skepticism amongst researchers over the results obtained by Wilson in his “research” with HMB

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
SNS Betaine Anhydrous can be found lower than 19.99. I believe he was just going off the price that is listed directly on the SNS website.

I think Betaine Anhydrous is great for daily use for consistent results. It's part of my daily supplement regimen not only for its athletic benefits but for other benefits as well.

I like HMB myself but don't view it as an either/or with Betaine Anhydrous. Betaine Anhydrous is so inexpensive that I would always include it and then if I wanted to use HMB, I would be adding HMB in addition to it, not in place of it.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
You can get betaine HCL 2.2 pounds for 21 bucks.
The HCl and anhydrous are used for complety different purposes. Don't buy HCl if your goal is strength gains

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Buy bulk and take it every day, although the study says 1.25gs twice a day right? I’m usually somewhere between 2-3gs at once, scale doesn’t pick up between.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Betaine HCL is not the same thing as Betaine anhydrous though, so don’t do that.
Both are betaine no? Just one is waterless and the other is hcl based.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Both are betaine no? Just one is waterless and the other is hcl based.
Every study for performance/athletic/muscle benefits used anhydrous, while HCL is essentially always used for stomach/digestion benefits. Jim Stoppani says that betaine HCL is much more acidic, and that’s why it’s often used for digestion. Either way, why not use the form that has a ton of studies on it instead of using the form that has a ton of studies for something entirely different?

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
betaine + any nitrate product get's me super pumped. I use to take betaine and noxygen by purus labs pre workout and had great muscle fullness.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I used hbm which was an old AAEFX version. Didn’t get much from it that I could see.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I liked HMB during periods of very intense training. I found that 5 grams per day worked a lot better for me than 3 grams per day but its so cost prohibitive.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Salmon protein at 16 grams 8-10grams of Immunolin with 10 grams of hmb sipped on threw out the day.

jtbull

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If someone is totally natural ( not PH or anabolics) I think HMB is right up there with creatine. I have gotten ok results when i took it when i was younger and really into it when it first came out. I would use it while i dieting down for summers which i would drop from about 270 to 215lbs did not lose much strength and seemed to not lose much muscle too.

stingthing

Awards
I like HMB, replaces BCAA in my supplementation. but take the liquid, raw acid-form 4g in 3-4 doses daily. Ca-HMB doesnt work as well as the liquid acid-form. specially in calorie defecit

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
For you guys that use Betaine anhydrous, how much are you taking?

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Those who r taking HMB .. which brand do you guys like ? Prefer pills.

The Express 42

The Express 42

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Always do 3g of SNS Betaine daily. It’s a must for me right up there with creatine

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
This. Not always 5g but up to that when I use multiple products with this in them.
I tend to have a solid tolerance (GI wise) to supplements, but for some reason, >4g Betaine Anhydrous treats me terribly

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
This. Not always 5g but up to that when I use multiple products with this in them.
I tend to have a solid tolerance (GI wise) to supplements, but for some reason, >4g Betaine Anhydrous treats me terribly

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ya when I dose that high it is usually because some is in my intra-workout, so idk how a 5g all at once would treat me.

jtbull

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like HMB, replaces BCAA in my supplementation. but take the liquid, raw acid-form 4g in 3-4 doses daily. Ca-HMB doesnt work as well as the liquid acid-form. specially in calorie defecit
What brand is that? I had not heard of a liquid one except metrx and eas used to have a drink that had creatine and hmb in it

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What brand is that? I had not heard of a liquid one except metrx and eas used to have a drink that had creatine and hmb in it
It’s known as HMB free acid. There’s some clever trademark name for it, I forget what that is now, but last I heard, Muscletech had exclusive rights to it. It was sold under the product name Clear Muscle originally, but I think I just saw a new version at Vitamin Shoppe that’s dosed better for much cheaper than it used to be, so I may have to revisit it.

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Betaine could improve your performance in the gym by increasing your aerobic capacity, allowing you to work out longer and harder.

Studies also suggest betaine helps improve body composition, arm size, bench press work capacity, and overall power.