Any bodybuilders out there do full body workouts, all i see is splits

StellaArtois

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone have pics of old or new bodybuilders who did/do full body workouts. Every where you look "beginner full body" and the split is considered advanced. Why does a full body workout have to be beginner, I feel like when I do split I lose strength. I go hard three days a week lifting good weight on a full body except i vary my rep scheme on each of those three days from low, med, to high and of course the weight to go along with each rep scheme.

Is it that difficult to look good aesthetically on a full body workout. I love doing compound movements and then just finish of with some light isolation at the end.

bulls**t

bulls**t

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone have pics of old or new bodybuilders who did/do full body workouts. Every where you look "beginner full body" and the split is considered advanced. Why does a full body workout have to be beginner, I feel like when I do split I lose strength. I go hard three days a week lifting good weight on a full body except i vary my rep scheme on each of those three days from low, med, to high and of course the weight to go along with each rep scheme.

Is it that difficult to look good aesthetically on a full body workout. I love doing compound movements and then just finish of with some light isolation at the end.
I do something similar to you. It's good to train like an athlete.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
full body workouts are great for functional strength and to build a foundation. full body isn't going to give you lats, or calves, etc. that's why we move on to "splits"

you can look aesthetically good doing total body workouts, but you'll never have a huge bicep peak.

UKStrength

full body workouts are great for functional strength and to build a foundation. full body isn't going to give you lats, or calves, etc. that's why we move on to "splits"

you can look aesthetically good doing total body workouts, but you'll never have a huge bicep peak.
Agreed :goodpost:

They're also good for burning more calories overall per workout if you keep the rest times short and the volume high (typically the 'bigger' movements are used e.g. squats, deadlifts, cleans, pullups, dips, etc.).

Therefore they are really useful during phases of training when muscle growth is likely to be minimal but fat loss is a priority (cutting), but probably inefficient when it comes to specifically targetting muscle groups.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
If you want to check out a good workout for strenght and hypertrophy, that is not a "bodybuilding split" check out "dual factor training" by Matt Reynolds. Just google it.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I have been lifting for about 5 years now, i moved FROM a split to a full body work out. I get great results from this personally. Not as much in size gains (Still some) but strength, speed, and stamina. 2 days on 1 off whole body is what I do an EXAMPLE:

Day 1
Bench (flat)
Squat
Military press
Bent over rows
(2 biceps workouts)
(1 triceps workout)
end push ups and crunches

Day 2
Power clean and press
Good mornings (or deads)
Incline Bench
Shoulder supersets exercise
Lat pull downs
Wide cable rows (more for rear shoulders)
(2 triceps workouts)
(1 Biceps workouts)
Pull ups
Crunches
*cavs every day (cardio in mornings on their own schedule)
*if there is a muscle you want to focus more on, move its exercise to #1 for the day.
i use this in rugby season or just when ever, i bulk with it, cut with it. as for reps i try a 6 of 6 range. or 6 sets of pyramid reps. (8,5,2,1,3,10-15)

StellaArtois

Awards
  • Established

so in order to have wider lats and bigger bicep peak i need to do a split...

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
No you can get wider lats and bigger biceps peaks on a full body work out however you wont' get the maxium. It depends on your goals. if you looking for maxium growth.

Like Arms on a split of biceps most people have around 4 exercercises with 3-4 sets. So thats 12-16 sets for biceps alone on a full body workout you just can get 16 sets in per body part. I know I couldn't do my regular 16-20 sets for chest than try to work legs I think that's why most people go to a split

StellaArtois

Awards
  • Established
No you can get wider lats and bigger biceps peaks on a full body work out however you wont' get the maxium. It depends on your goals. if you looking for maxium growth.

Like Arms on a split of biceps most people have around 4 exercercises with 3-4 sets. So thats 12-16 sets for biceps alone on a full body workout you just can get 16 sets in per body part. I know I couldn't do my regular 16-20 sets for chest than try to work legs I think that's why most people go to a split
Right, im only getting 9 direct sets for biceps and 9 for triceps, 3 sets for each after my workout 3x a week

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
well, consider that total body workouts are compound movements. usually for back, this is by doing deads and pullups. biceps are completely neglected doing total body (usually), but are used as secondary muscles.

some people can get biceps from pullups, some people can get lats from pullups. most of us need a bit more stimulation to the target muscle than one exercise - 2-3 exercises to hit the muscle from another angle, etc.

now if you're starting out you'll gain muscle all over doing total body. if you're an advanced lifter though, not so much.

splits are used to target multiple muscle heads of target muscles that total body misses, like rear triceps.

starting out, i tried the conventional 5 day split, and had very little gains - went from 126 to 135. changing to total body propelled me into the 170's. from there, i went back to a 5 day split when my gains slowed down. total body has its place, and i would never disagree with that. it is very difficult to use as an advanced lifter though, unless you're doing total body + supplemental work for the muscles that are unused during training.

StellaArtois

Awards
  • Established
well, consider that total body workouts are compound movements. usually for back, this is by doing deads and pullups. biceps are completely neglected doing total body (usually), but are used as secondary muscles.

some people can get biceps from pullups, some people can get lats from pullups. most of us need a bit more stimulation to the target muscle than one exercise - 2-3 exercises to hit the muscle from another angle, etc.

now if you're starting out you'll gain muscle all over doing total body. if you're an advanced lifter though, not so much.

splits are used to target multiple muscle heads of target muscles that total body misses, like rear triceps.

starting out, i tried the conventional 5 day split, and had very little gains - went from 126 to 135. changing to total body propelled me into the 170's. from there, i went back to a 5 day split when my gains slowed down. total body has its place, and i would never disagree with that. it is very difficult to use as an advanced lifter though, unless you're doing total body + supplemental work for the muscles that are unused during training.
I see, i guess my follow up question would be based on the following stats what am i considered to be an intermediate/advanced lifter and should switch to splits..i've always done full body workout, i've switched to split for maybe 2 or 3 weeks here and there and i hated waiting so long to workout another body part, and felt as if my lifts decline on them:

stats:
5'11'' 205lbs
max (using free weight barbell)-
bench: 275x3
BB row (yates): 235x3
Seated Military Press: 205x3
Deadlift: 300lbs
Squat: 300lbs
although i have stopped doing heavy DL and Sqt due to recurring injury.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i also hate waiting to rework a muscle. the exception is my legs, which take 4 days to recover from anything. anyways, my split is

M - chest/tri's/front and mid delts (machine and barbell)
T - back/bi's/rear delts (machine and barbell)
W - legs
Th - chest/tri's/front and mid delts (dumbell)
F - back/bi's/rear delts (dumbell)

or you can do total body workouts. i'm not an athlete, nor do i ever intend on being one. if you're sports oriented, total body workouts may suit you better.

my old total body workout you can find at : http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/109366-ectomorph-workout.html

anyways, take everything i say with a grain of salt - just because i respond better to something doesn't mean you will.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I see, i guess my follow up question would be based on the following stats what am i considered to be an intermediate/advanced lifter and should switch to splits..i've always done full body workout, i've switched to split for maybe 2 or 3 weeks here and there and i hated waiting so long to workout another body part, and felt as if my lifts decline on them:

stats:
5'11'' 205lbs
max (using free weight barbell)-
bench: 275x3
BB row (yates): 235x3
Seated Military Press: 205x3
Deadlift: 300lbs
Squat: 300lbs
although i have stopped doing heavy DL and Sqt due to recurring injury.

i don't like to judge catergories etc but I do a 5 day split and to give you an idea

Your bench max is 131% your body weight
my last chest work out i did 3x5 with 150% of your bw

seated military press is your 100% your body weight
my last shoulder day I did 4x8 96% my body weight.

So i'm lifting a considerable amount more weight than you and for me my body parts need a full 7 days. I think with your lifts if you move to a split you'll see a good jump in the amount of weight you can lift. Remember growth comes during rest not training

chedu

Awards
What about something like DC training?

For instance,

BB press
Military press
Dips
Chins
DL

That looks like a fullbody workout to me

Next day, bis-forearms-lower body, will come into play some heavy squatting, that can be considered as a "fullbody" exercise.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
If you're not doing everything in a day, it's not a full body workout. LOL. However, you don't have to do a single bodypart per day to call it a split either. I personally like multi-bodypart splits. I like to do (essentially) upper-pushing, upper-pulling, lower body --> 3 day split. However, I do personally believe that full body workouts are not good for size development. Certain muscles just don't seem to recover fast enough.

It's all about the food anyway. As long as you're not over training (i.e. not giving your body enough time to repair damage between workouts) then if you're not gaining it's b/c your diet sucks.

StellaArtois

Awards
  • Established
If you're not doing everything in a day, it's not a full body workout. LOL. However, you don't have to do a single bodypart per day to call it a split either. I personally like multi-bodypart splits. I like to do (essentially) upper-pushing, upper-pulling, lower body --> 3 day split. However, I do personally believe that full body workouts are not good for size development. Certain muscles just don't seem to recover fast enough.

It's all about the food anyway. As long as you're not over training (i.e. not giving your body enough time to repair damage between workouts) then if you're not gaining it's b/c your diet sucks.
well im not completely recovered in a full body on my next workout but its not as bad as if i did 13 sets for chest in one day, you do split chest among 3 days

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Right, im only getting 9 direct sets for biceps and 9 for triceps, 3 sets for each after my workout 3x a week
If you are doing heavy rows and heavy cgbp, which goes hand in hand with a full body route, then there can be no need for 18 sets for arms...that is just insane

StellaArtois

Awards
  • Established
If you are doing heavy rows and heavy cgbp, which goes hand in hand with a full body route, then there can be no need for 18 sets for arms...that is just insane
here is my full body i posted in another thread
Monday: 5x5
Chest - bench press
Back - BB Yates Rows
Shoulders - Military press
Triceps - Weighted dips (these will be 3x10)
Biceps - Weighted Chin ups (these will be 3x10)
Legs- squats

Wednesday: 4x8
Chest - bench press
Back - weighted pullups
Shoulders - Military press
Triceps - Kickbacks (these will be 3x10)
Biceps - curls (these will be 3x10)
Legs- deadlifts

Friday: 3x12
Chest - bench press
Back - Machine rows
Shoulders - military press
Triceps - CG Bench Press (these will be 3x10)
Biceps - DB Curls (these will be 3x10)
Legs- squats

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
You wouldn't get an accurate answer just from stats. It would depend on where you peak.

Once your WO quits giving you results then it's time to switch it up. Who knows, you may reach 315 (bench) with your current scheme or add 60lbs to your dead but no one can say when it will stop and you switch.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
On the other post, I guess you meant 3 sets per day per 3 days? I though, at firstm you said 9 sets per day

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
You can do different exercises on each day. In your other post, you have the same exercises two days in a row. They are different reps, but change the exercises also. You can do bench one day, incline dumbell press next day, and high rep day do flyes. Put some more variety in by changing exercises so even though you do chest 3 days a week, you do 3 different exercises. After a couple weeks, switch the rep schemes so you do heavier low rep flyes, and higher rep bench. For example shoulders, you can do military press one day, db press another, side lateral raises the third day. You can still keep the same basic structure I think, but add more variety of exercises and you will find some new growth in areas that aren't directly getting stimulated.
It all comes down to what you want to accomplish.

I would try to split it up with additional non lifting day in between if schedule allows. If not recovered by second day, go ahead and rest and then bump it a day.

StellaArtois

Awards
  • Established
On the other post, I guess you meant 3 sets per day per 3 days? I though, at firstm you said 9 sets per day
yeah it did sound a bit confusing, 3 sets for biceps and 3 sets for triceps each workout.....do you think thats too much...it makes 9 total for biceps and 9 total for triceps in the whole week. i was thinking of maybe getting rid of the arm work in the middle or just having 2 sets.

StellaArtois

Awards
  • Established
You can do different exercises on each day. In your other post, you have the same exercises two days in a row. They are different reps, but change the exercises also. You can do bench one day, incline dumbell press next day, and high rep day do flyes. Put some more variety in by changing exercises so even though you do chest 3 days a week, you do 3 different exercises. After a couple weeks, switch the rep schemes so you do heavier low rep flyes, and higher rep bench. For example shoulders, you can do military press one day, db press another, side lateral raises the third day. You can still keep the same basic structure I think, but add more variety of exercises and you will find some new growth in areas that aren't directly getting stimulated.
It all comes down to what you want to accomplish.

I would try to split it up with additional non lifting day in between if schedule allows. If not recovered by second day, go ahead and rest and then bump it a day.
definitely i will probably change up a friday with some different movements...do you think too much for arms?

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Probably not, especially since they are on different days. 6 sets for arms in one day is not too much. Find 3 different exercises to target each bodypart like you want. Then do a different one each workout. After 4 weeks, change the order of them so the rep scheme changes for that exercise. You can still have enough variety doing a 3 day split like that.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
I've gained more mass in the past 5 years working mostly from a Westside template than I did in the previous 12 years doing "bodybuilding splits". I know it's a powerlifting workout, but it has worked best for me. Work up to 4-5 rep maxes instead of singles on the heavy days and go 10+ reps on all the assistance work. You would just have to choose your assistance exercises to meet your individual needs.

AllMaxBrian

Awards
I don't like how people hate on Full-Body routines - they can be great for busting through a plateau, and not just for beginners. I like to throw them in every so often when I get bored of whatever routine I'm on. The only issue is that you're forced to take an off-day the next day for optimal recovery, but I can live with that.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I don't like how people hate on Full-Body routines - they can be great for busting through a plateau, and not just for beginners. I like to throw them in every so often when I get bored of whatever routine I'm on. The only issue is that you're forced to take an off-day the next day for optimal recovery, but I can live with that.
It doesn't seem like anyone is hating on him. If you read how much the OP is actually doing every single day, for 9 weeks straight, his original question was "is this too much?" The OP also said he has always been small and apparantly his training routine has been constantly this way. And he doesn't really take an off day until sunday. He also wanted to know how to build a bit more muscle, without getting huge or anything. The type of workout he's been doing hasn't really gotten him where he wants yet, and everyone has just recommended changing his routine up to better work the muscles to stimulate some new growth.

I agree, full-body workouts do have their place. But his workout plan he posted just wan't going to help him acheive what he wants. We were just giving responses to help him get some new growth, that's all.

AllMaxBrian

Awards
It doesn't seem like anyone is hating on him. If you read how much the OP is actually doing every single day, for 9 weeks straight, his original question was "is this too much?" The OP also said he has always been small and apparantly his training routine has been constantly this way. And he doesn't really take an off day until sunday. He also wanted to know how to build a bit more muscle, without getting huge or anything. The type of workout he's been doing hasn't really gotten him where he wants yet, and everyone has just recommended changing his routine up to better work the muscles to stimulate some new growth.

I agree, full-body workouts do have their place. But his workout plan he posted just wan't going to help him acheive what he wants. We were just giving responses to help him get some new growth, that's all.
I didn't say people in here were hating on them, I meant in general.

Handyman

Awards
You absolutely can get great results from a full body workout. DC and HST are both full-body and there are several national level and even world-class competitors using these.

IMO A split wastes too many sets working up to the set that actually stimulates growth. Using a full body workout three times per week, you do the same number of sets of a given exercise in a given week except more of them stimulate growth. One thing to remember with this is that soreness is not an indicator that your muscles are not yet ready to train again. You can still train at max load even if the muscle is sore. Split training taxes the CNS much more that full body training, and this I believe is what leads to overtraining. Once I started using HST (now transitioning to DC training), I stopped running into overtraining syndrome and started growing.

As far as specialization goes, you can still include exercises for specific muscle that may be lagging in a full body workout. My current routine:

Leg Press
Leg Curls
Calf Raise
Incline DB Press
Dips
Pullups
Low Rows
Barbell Press
Barbell Curl
Tricep Pushdown
Abs

I do a warm up at the beginning of each muscle group, then one or two sets of each exercise to just short of failure. The key to both HST and DC training is to "beat the log book", meaning increase weight (HST) and/or reps (DC) every workout.

StellaArtois

Awards
  • Established

I think you got the threads mixed up...im the OP but i only workout FB 3x a week MWF, not exactly small at 5'11'' and 205lbs

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
I've gained more mass in the past 5 years working mostly from a Westside template than I did in the previous 12 years doing "bodybuilding splits". I know it's a powerlifting workout, but it has worked best for me. Work up to 4-5 rep maxes instead of singles on the heavy days and go 10+ reps on all the assistance work. You would just have to choose your assistance exercises to meet your individual needs.
I agree, one thing Paul Childress wrote was that the mistake hes sees young trainers making is that they use 1 rep maxes for their ME days, if they would stick to 3's and 5's, they would gain more muscle from the exercises. This stuck in my mind for years and i tell it to all the kids i see starting this workout. I think part of the problem for westside is that is you have to change your training philosophy completely and that is hard for a lot of people to buy into.

grigs

grigs

Awards
mine is
monday chest,shoulders,triceps. all of them are 3tips 4sets 12reps
tuesday legs,back,biceps.
wednesday off
thursday chest,shoulders,triceps. all different tips as mondays
friday legs,back,biceps. all different as tuesdays
sat,sun off
before i train like
monday back 5 or 6 tips pyramid 12,10,8,6
tuesday chest 4 tips same pyramid
wednesday off
thursday legs 5 or 6 tips same pyramid
friday shoulders 5 or 6 tips same pyramid
saturday arms 3tips bis 3tips tris same pyramid
sun off
when i did pyramids i sot many changes in mine strength, but my body not really visually changes,but when i started do 3 body parts per day and twice a week,can say mine strength was same but mine body start look a bit leaner and more muscular..

workingman16

Awards
I like integrating a full body day one day a week when I am cutting. It helps burn those extra calories.

jonesboy

jonesboy

Awards
  • Established
I have to agree that HST is a great workout. HST is all about getting bigger, not so much stronger but you will none the less.

For those that have the time I know you can split into two workouts per day. I have never done that but i know people on the HST forum who do get real good results.

jrw

Awards
  • Established
Most of the books that deal with being a cover-model type promote full body workouts. If you want to get toned and lose fat, they are ideal. If you are trying to gain a bunch of mass, probably just want to work each group hard once a week.

davis

Awards
There is nothing wrong with doing full body workouts, and honestly am all for them. Looking aesthetically pleasing is totally based on opinion...

Some people perfer the athletic look (Cut, and lean), while others prefer the body builder look (often less cut, but more mass).

I think the main reason why full body work-outs are recommended for beginners, is because many people don't know how to properly balance out their muscle groups. Its not uncommon to see guys in the gym that dont look proportional... This not only looks awful, but its also setting yourself up for injury.

With that being said, just do your research!

If your looking to become quicker, faster, and stronger I would recommend full body workouts. If there are specific areas that you want to work on extra, go for it.

If your just looking to to get huge. Again do your research, split workouts are fine, and focus just as much on your diet than on your lifting.

You can definitly reach size either way, and you can still lift heavy either way. Think about what your goals are, and make your choice based on that.

Height: 6'5
Weight: 225

Bench: 295lbs
Squat: 465lbs
Clean: 280lbs
Vertical: 36 inches

Credentials: 3-time All American in the Discus / Hammer Throw.

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
Hi all, I'm new here. Ive been lurking for a long time, but I had to respond to this question.
I've been doing a full body workout three days a week for the last six months and I've made better gains then I ever did with a traditional split.
My advice would be don't be afraid to experiment with your workouts. As long as your getting the proper nutrition and using good form, you should see excellent results.
The one thing I've learned at my old age is not to be to dogmatic in your training. What works well for some may not work well for others.
Good luck.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Sub for later read.

stankyleg

stankyleg

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lots of the pre drug era greats used full body.