Another Feather in the "Training Fasted is Kind of Silly"

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
All I read was that you can continue doing whatever you are doing because there are still questions and both fasted and fed appear to work in an extended cardio session- which few people actually do.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
All I read was that you can continue doing whatever you are doing because there are still questions and both fasted and fed appear to work in an extended cardio session- which few people actually do.
Basically, then there's the carb study which was relatively recent which they found Intra carbs (high amounts as well, constant dosing) also didn't change fat oxidation. So thus, it doesn't appear fasted training has much in terms of benefits, so might as well just train to gain instead of looking at training as a fat burning exercise.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How does resistance training and/or HIIT fit into this?

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How does resistance training and/or HIIT fit into this?
The one I linked in this thread was cardio, the other study was actually on resistance training. Both apparently are demonstrating the similar outcome that fed state training does not inhibit fat oxidation vs fasted.

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
whether i lift or run, doing it fasted works better for me as a whole

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For me, I was a life long meal eater before lifting and started doing IF about 11 months ago and I have gone through PRs and feel a lot better lifting on just my BCAAs and homemade PWO. I'm not incredibly dedicated to the window, but I generally always lift in the morning after a 14-15 fast. I recently tried to go back to a light pre meal and it just didn't work for me.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For me, I was a life long meal eater before lifting and started doing IF about 11 months ago and I have gone through PRs and feel a lot better lifting on just my BCAAs and homemade PWO. I'm not incredibly dedicated to the window, but I generally always lift in the morning after a 14-15 fast. I recently tried to go back to a light pre meal and it just didn't work for me.
Meal timing preworkout and what you eat does actually matter (in terms of how you feel during the workout). I personally can't eat before a workout as stuff just doesn't sit right. Liquid carbs (I'm using mainly HBCD) + protein (hydro casein) works perfectly though pre and intra workout.

I use to do the first thing in the morning with just aminos thing, I could handle it but it was a huge wake up call when I started upping the carbs (38 grams pre 38 intra). Recovery improved and endurance is excellent.

Have you tried drinking your nutrients instead (keeping in mind, different carb sources sits differently for different people, so some experimentation is a good idea)?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
they state the numbers aren't statistically significant, but your eyes can see that in each category other than waist size, the fasted cardio performed better

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Meal timing preworkout and what you eat does actually matter (in terms of how you feel during the workout). I personally can't eat before a workout as stuff just doesn't sit right. Liquid carbs (I'm using mainly HBCD) + protein (hydro casein) works perfectly though pre and intra workout.

I use to do the first thing in the morning with just aminos thing, I could handle it but it was a huge wake up call when I started upping the carbs (38 grams pre 38 intra). Recovery improved and endurance is excellent.

Have you tried drinking your nutrients instead (keeping in mind, different carb sources sits differently for different people, so some experimentation is a good idea)?
Absolutely. I started playing with my diet about 5 years ago after spending 15+ thinking I had to eat 8 meals a day to keep lean and muscular. At this point I am pretty aware of how I react to even the smallest of changes and realize I have more energy, better workouts, and have been able to stay around 10%bf with a little extended daily fasting.

Plus, my days start around 5:30am and it is non-stop until I finally get to sit at 9pm. A diet of convenience is necessary and IF fits the bill.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
they state the numbers aren't statistically significant, but your eyes can see that in each category other than waist size, the fasted cardio performed better

The fasted group also lost more lean mass. Plus the fed group lost more in the waist. That sounds like a better body comp result than the fasted group. Who cares if you lose more measurable fat when you also lost more lean mass and ended up with the bigger waist?

Think about that.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And yet, none was statistically significant for differences, and with it all being women, you have to consider menstrual cycles and bloating as both a weight effect and a waist size effect. Plus it was bodpod rather than dexxa, which means that its heavily prone to error just based on timing of meals.

But mostly it goes to say that neither has a huge advantage, so do what you prefer and feel better doing

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And yet, none was statistically significant for differences, and with it all being women, you have to consider menstrual cycles and bloating as both a weight effect and a waist size effect. Plus it was bodpod rather than dexxa, which means that its heavily prone to error just based on timing of meals.

But mostly it goes to say that neither has a huge advantage, so do what you prefer and feel better doing
Agreed.

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
Whenever I do fasted cardio I always sip on 3-5 grams of leucine and pop 3-5 pre-workout. Haven't lost muscle per the calipers.