Anabolic steroids raise levels of harmful protein

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Anabolic steroids raise levels of harmful protein
Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:43 PM BST

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - A new study provides more evidence that long-term use of anabolic steroids can cause heart and blood vessel disease, and may even boost the risk of sudden death.

UK researchers found that bodybuilders who used the muscle-building steroids had increased levels of homocysteine, a protein tied to increased mortality, heart disease risk and blood vessel damage, compared with bodybuilders who didn't use the performance-enhancing drugs.

Three steroid users died suddenly during the course of the study, and all had homocysteine levels that were higher than the average for steroid-using study participants.

"The findings of this study suggest that anabolic-androgenic steroids are detrimental to cardiovascular health and appear to be implicated in cardiovascular mortality in long-term anabolic-androgenic steroid abuse," Dr. Michael R. Graham of the University Glamorgan in Pontypridd, Wales and colleagues conclude.

There have been reports suggesting that steroid users face an increased risk of sudden death as well as acute clotting-related health problems such as stroke and heart attack, Graham and his team note.

To determine whether steroid users might have increased homocysteine levels, which could contribute to the risk of heart and blood vessel problems, the researchers measured levels of homocysteine and several other substances in the blood in bodybuilders who had been using steroids for more than 20 years.

They were compared to steroid-using bodybuilders who had abstained from the drugs for three months, bodybuilders who had never used steroids, and sedentary, non-steroid-using men.

Current and past steroid users had higher homocysteine levels than other study participants, as well as "dramatically elevated" levels of hematocrit.

As mentioned, three of the steroid-using bodybuilders died during the study period and all of them had significantly higher levels of homocysteine than the average for the steroid-using group.

Sudden death and acute clotting events "may represent under-appreciated risks" of anabolic steroid use, the team warns.

SOURCE: British Journal of Sports Medicine, July 2006.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
Take enough B vitamins adn you can fix the homocysteine. If you'd like to lower your hematocrit, donate blood often :)

gell

Awards
Since three of the bodybuilders who used steroids died suddenly during the study, I wonder how long the study lasted. And I wish it would have said how much of which steroids, and how these guys cycled, if they cycled at all, during the 20 years they used steroids. And I really wish they would have mentioned other variables, such as diet and vitamin B supplementation. I guess homocysteine and hematocrit levels are something to pay particular attention to on post cycle bloodwork.

Reading this article made me think of "The Reporter", and how he died suddenly. :(

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
Since three of the bodybuilders who used steroids died suddenly during the study, I wonder how long the study lasted. And I wish it would have said how much of which steroids, and how these guys cycled, if they cycled at all, during the 20 years they used steroids. And I really wish they would have mentioned other variables, such as diet and vitamin B supplementation. I guess homocysteine and hematocrit levels are something to pay particular attention to on post cycle bloodwork.

Reading this article made me think of "The Reporter", and how he died suddenly. :(
It true - many details were left out. It owuld have been nice to hear of any prexisting health problems and family history. Sudden death is usually cardiogenic in its origin.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
I also wonder what there diets looked like. Did they have bad genetics and do steriods or were they reckless beyond heavy cycling?

SubliminalX

SubliminalX

Awards
  • Established
Take enough B vitamins adn you can fix the homocysteine. If you'd like to lower your hematocrit, donate blood often :)
Not a good idea for the sake of someone who may get your blood components.

I also wonder what there diets looked like. Did they have bad genetics and do steriods or were they reckless beyond heavy cycling?
I'd guess too little cardio too to keep the HDL levels up.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
The British Journal of Sports Medicine is subscription only so I don't have access to the actual article/study. From the Reuters article, this didn't seem like anti-doping propaganda. Personally, I'd just take this as notice that powerfully altering one's body chemistry could have unintended effects......and take appropriate precautions. I just had my homocystene levels checked as part of my recent bloodwork (low end of the reference scale :woohoo: ).

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
The British Journal of Sports Medicine is subscription only so I don't have access to the actual article/study. From the Reuters article, this didn't seem like anti-doping propaganda. Personally, I'd just take this as notice that powerfully altering one's body chemistry could have unintended effects......and take appropriate precautions. I just had my homocystene levels checked as part of my recent bloodwork (low end of the reference scale :woohoo: ).
How would you describe your cardio, genetics, and diet? Also, would you mind discussing a little about your anabolic past, IE have you ever been ON for more than a year? Thanks YR.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
Not a good idea for the sake of someone who may get your blood components.
Actually if you understand what the bloods hematocrit actually means you would note that hematocrit is simply the amount of blood that is composed of red blood cells - it references the numebr and size. So it would actually be GREAT if a donator ahd an elevated hematocrit, which would mean that there would be more packed red blood cells available for transfusion.

There is a disease called polycythemia vera where one had eleveated H/H from excess RBC production. The treatment for the most part is simply to donate blood :)

Cheers.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
How would you describe your cardio, genetics, and diet? Also, would you mind discussing a little about your anabolic past, IE have you ever been ON for more than a year? Thanks YR.
I'm not an example for anyone to follow so I'm not sure that this will be useful but:

CARDIO: Sex, lots of walking and stair climbing in my job (the walking and stair climbing, not the sex).

GENETICS: Looking at my relatives, I should be short, fat and crazy. I'm not short and am no longer fat.

DIET: Very clean, lots of complex grains, veggies, fruit, meat protein, protein shakes and assorted supplements.

ANABOLICS: I don't know what you are referring to. :hammer:

The reason that I posted this article was to give people information for making the choices they make. Many people take some powerful "supplements" blind to the possible compications. I like to (as much as possible) fully understand the possible ramifications of the decisions that I make.....and post articles such as this for those who are like minded. I don't care what people choose to put in their own bodies, but I do hope that they do so as safely as possible.:thumbsup:

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
Wow, so there's good protein and bad protein. What's next? Good fat and bad fat? Good cholesterol, bad cholesterol. Anyway, folate should help with those high homocysteine levels since folate "tries" to prevent cell damage.

SubliminalX

SubliminalX

Awards
  • Established
Actually if you understand what the bloods hematocrit actually means you would note that hematocrit is simply the amount of blood that is composed of red blood cells - it references the numebr and size. So it would actually be GREAT if a donator ahd an elevated hematocrit, which would mean that there would be more packed red blood cells available for transfusion.

There is a disease called polycythemia vera where one had eleveated H/H from excess RBC production. The treatment for the most part is simply to donate blood :)

Cheers.
I wasn't talking about blood cells, specifically. When a recipient receives whole blood or even just the serum component of whole blood, they're gonna get the drugs that the donor was taking too. There's a reason why donors are asked about drug use. Remember that we're in the drug section of the board? ;)

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I wasn't talking about blood cells, specifically. When a recipient receives whole blood or even just the serum component of whole blood, they're gonna get the drugs that the donor was taking too. There's a reason why donors are asked about drug use. Remember that we're in the drug section of the board? ;)
Then someone who recieves this blood is going to get a free infusion of something anabolic. Call it a bonus. :rofl:

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Then someone who recieves this blood is going to get a free infusion of something anabolic. Call it a bonus. :rofl:
Well, by definition someone receiving a transfusion is in medical jeopardy. Ay "extras" in the blood might cause further medical complications. It seems irresponsible to me for anyone to donate blood while "on" a performance enhancing substance.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
Well, by definition someone receiving a transfusion is in medical jeopardy. Ay "extras" in the blood might cause further medical complications. It seems irresponsible to me for anyone to donate blood while "on" a performance enhancing substance.
There are some pretty cool studies that are ongoing at this point using anabolic steroids and theICU patient. See below, source is ClinicalTrials.gov - Information on Clinical Trials and Human Research Studies.

In all seriousness, one should never give blood while on any substance whatsoever.

-------------
Anabolic Steroids for Nutritional Rehabilitation of Critically Ill Patients

This study is currently recruiting patients.
Verified by Lawson Health Research Institute October 2005

Sponsored by: Lawson Health Research Institute
Information provided by: Lawson Health Research Institute
ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00242463

Purpose

This prospective, double-blinded study will determine the feasibility of determining the efficacy of a weekly intramuscular injection of nandrolone (an anabolic steroid) in malnourished ICU patients.The data from this study will also enable us to prepare a future grant proposal with a calculated sample size necessary to deomonstrate an improvement in clinical outcome.
Condition Intervention Phase
Malnutrition
Critical Illness
Drug: Nandrolone (anabolic steroid)
Phase II

MedlinePlus related topics: Nutrition

Study Type: Interventional
Study Design: Treatment, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Control, Single Group Assignment, Safety/Efficacy Study

Official Title: The Efficacy of Anabolic Steroids for the Nutritional Rehabilitation of Critically Ill Patients

Further study details as provided by Lawson Health Research Institute:
Primary Outcomes: Nitrogen Balance
Secondary Outcomes: Lean body mass; serum prealbumin; length of stay on ventilator, in ICU, in HOSPITAL; infectious complications; outcome (mortality)
Expected Total Enrollment: 20
Study start: October 2005

Critically ill patients are particularly prone to excessive catabolism using skeletal muscle as the primary substrate as a result of maladaptation to critical illness. Ultimately, critical illness leads to a significant loss of lean body mass (LBM). For example, a 40% loss of LBM is associated with a 100% mortality. Anabolic steroids have been studied and have been shown to improve nutrition in select malnourished patient groups, however, the majority of these studies were not well designed or consisted of small sample sizes.

Our hypothesis is anabolic steroid administration will result in an augmentation of positive nitrogen balance and LBM. This increase in LBM will result in liberation from mechanical ventilation sooner than the placebo group and will result in discharge from the ICU sooner, and as a result, a reduction in morbidity (nosocomial infections) and possibly mortality.

All moderately to severly malnourished ICU patients who have an anticipated stay in ICU > 10 days, will be randomized to receive nandrolone (25 mg-females, 50 mg;males) once weekly for six weeks or placebo. All patients will receive a standard enteral nutritional regimen. Patients will be monitored for assessment of nitrogen balance, lean body mass, and length of time spent on ventilator, in ICU and in HOSP, and incidence of infections.Lean body mass will be measured using a bioimpedance analyzer.

Eligibility

Ages Eligible for Study: 18 Years and above, Genders Eligible for Study: Both
Accepts Healthy Volunteers

Criteria
Inclusion Criteria:

anticipated length of stay in ICU >10 days
moderate to severe malnutrition
patient tolerating enteral feeds
Exclusion Criteria:

age < 18 yrs
known allergy to nandrolone
women of child bearing age with positive pregancy test
contraindications to intramuscular injections ie anticoagulation
renal failure requiring renal replacement therapy
patients with breast or prostate cancer -
Location and Contact Information

Please refer to this study by ClinicalTrials.gov identifier NCT00242463

Michael D Sharpe, MD FRCPC 519-663-3030 [email protected]

Canada, Ontario
London Health Sciences Centre-UC, London, Ontario, N6A5A5, Canada; Recruiting
Michael D Sharpe, MD FRCPC 519-663-3030 [email protected]
Michael D Sharpe, MD FRCPC, Principal Investigator

Study chairs or principal investigators

Michael D Sharpe, MD FRCPC, Principal Investigator, London Health Sciences Centre-UC
More Information

Publications

Chang DW, DeSanti L, Demling RH. Anticatabolic and anabolic strategies in critical illness: a review of current treatment modalities. Shock. 1998 Sep;10(3):155-60. Review.

Johansen KL, Mulligan K, Schambelan M. Anabolic effects of nandrolone decanoate in patients receiving dialysis: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 1999 Apr 14;281(14):1275-81.

Study ID Numbers: R-05-390
Last Updated: October 25, 2005
Record first received: October 19, 2005
ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00242463
Health Authority: Canada: Health Canada

TheDrive

Awards

I'm pretty sick and tired of half assed "studies". They never want you to know all the information...only what they want you to see. For example... There may be something they did during the course of that study that was blatantly hazardous. Something that no one here reading this would EVER do. They also don't say what the compound was. They're always trying to hide something. They fully realize that they can only post the negative and dangerous effects, (and not tell the public how f*cking stupid they were) and the general public will think "Wow...those steroids really are that dangerous...we should try to get everything banned..." I think we can chalk that one up to a step in the wrong direction...

fatsuperman

fatsuperman

Awards
  • Established
Drive

Brings up a valid point in his rant. These studies are always headlined with ominous warnings of doom, but they always are lacking on data and details.

Ironically its these data and details that can be used by steroid users to tailor their usage so as to minimize risk.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
That is a good point. Most bodybuilders/steroid users swear by the cow.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
FYI, B-12, B-6, and Folic Acid are the B-Vitamins that can lower your homocysteine levels.