Anabolic Steroids and Growth Hormone for Crohn's Disease (Research)

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just saw this paper on Suppversity, and man, is it a really interesting, bizarre paper:

The author has published that the compassionate use of an admixture of anabolic steroids has set the worst case of endometriosis into a 9-year remission, and herein, five of six cases of intractable IBD have experienced 5-year reversal of their disabling state of disease. It is expected that when measurements become available that the ER-β/ ER-α in endometriosis will be down-regulated to normal range on appropriate anabolic treatment. It is expected that measurement of the ER-β/ER-α in IBD will be upregulated to a normal range by mixed anabolic therapy. Remission of disease should correlate directly with normalization of both the ER-β/ER-α ratio and the FAI biomarkers as the host’s returns to a ‘normal’ homeostatic range of Gender Specific hormones. The bacterial concept of causation disproved, physicians should ineffective antibiotic therapy and direct treatment to restoring the Free Androgen Index to normal range. A paradigm shift offering compassionate use to our most affected young adults is no longer a hope but a realization.
https://scholars.direct/Articles/gastroenterology/jgr-3-019.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1nFb6PKRddeT5w9J6bOTJ-QfEzFVebFXDRLZ771RIDNdpLj7oD3CiglRQ

And this study noted that GH use (and a high-protein diet) can also be useful for the treatement of Crohn's disease:

Our preliminary study suggests that growth hormone may be a beneficial treatment for patients with Crohn's disease.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJM200006013422203?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori:rid:crossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub=www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Is becoming a bodybuilder the secret to managing Crohn's disease?

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I once knew a fake natty, that said he’d never do any gear cuz he had chrons....

roidsarebad

roidsarebad

Awards
Damn, that’s a scholarly article and super interesting. As a dude with IBD, I think I’ll read that a couple more times. Thanks for sharing it.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Damn, that’s a scholarly article and super interesting. As a dude with IBD, I think I’ll read that a couple more times. Thanks for sharing it.
No problem. But does that mean you may have to reconsider your username, roidsarebad?

Reactions: Nac
roidsarebad

roidsarebad

Awards
No problem. But does that mean you may have to reconsider your username, roidsarebad?
Nothing wrong with AAS as long as the user is old enough, educated, and ready (physically and mentally). The first few usernames I tried were taken, figured this would be available. But back to the thread, I didn’t notice if the authors mentioned the daily physical activity level of the participants. Although they did say at least one was disabled, it would be interesting to know the level of disability. The only reason this would be helpful is I know in my case, every gastroenterologist I’ve seen is a proponent of daily exercise to help reduce IBD symptoms. However, anyone with a serious case of IBD will likely admit that daily exercise is sometimes not possible due to symptoms, though missing one day occasionally is probably not an issue. That said, the most compelling aspect of this study was their treatment of symptoms. Instead of the typical western medicinal approach of throwing drugs at the symptoms, they went after the root cause. The results seem promising for sure.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nothing wrong with AAS as long as the user is old enough, educated, and ready (physically and mentally). The first few usernames I tried were taken, figured this would be available. But back to the thread, I didn’t notice if the authors mentioned the daily physical activity level of the participants. Although they did say at least one was disabled, it would be interesting to know the level of disability. The only reason this would be helpful is I know in my case, every gastroenterologist I’ve seen is a proponent of daily exercise to help reduce IBD symptoms. However, anyone with a serious case of IBD will likely admit that daily exercise is sometimes not possible due to symptoms, though missing one day occasionally is probably not an issue. That said, the most compelling aspect of this study was their treatment of symptoms. Instead of the typical western medicinal approach of throwing drugs at the symptoms, they went after the root cause. The results seem promising for sure.
I have Crohn’s, so I know exactly what you mean. Exercise is 100% great, and I love it, but during a flare up, it’s almost impossible at times, sometimes for extended periods of time. And, while many people will say long-term AAS use isn’t super healthy, well, neither is long-term biologic use haha.

roidsarebad

roidsarebad

Awards
I have Crohn’s, so I know exactly what you mean. Exercise is 100% great, and I love it, but during a flare up, it’s almost impossible at times, sometimes for extended periods of time. And, while many people will say long-term AAS use isn’t super healthy, well, neither is long-term biologic use haha.
I have the same issue, and agree exercise definitely helps, at least for me. You’re absolutely right, some of the medications used to treat Crohn’s are not good for long-term use, while long-term use of others has an unknown affect. If we’re already using medications, such as AAS, and those “medications” have a positive impact on autoimmune diseases, it could mean there is potential to ditch the normally prescribed medications.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It looks like the author of the study applied for a patent, and it discusses the AAS used, the methodology, and the logic for using each one:

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It looks like the author of the study applied for a patent, and it discusses the AAS used, the methodology, and the logic for using each one:

I read this patent about a year ago. It is interesting concept, having ulcerative colitis i am all too familiar with flare ups during a period of suppressed androgen levels. I also have known how effective supraphsiological doses of common androgens can be in killing a flare.

Deffinitely a better alternative then presnisolone, thats for sure.

Btw, strongly suggest giving low dose naltrexone a go for long term remission. Has been a god send for me. I stack it with a mast cell stabiliser ketotifen and it has proven incredibly effective.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I read this patent about a year ago. It is interesting concept, having ulcerative colitis i am all too familiar with flare ups during a period of suppressed androgen levels. I also have known how effective supraphsiological doses of common androgens can be in killing a flare.

Btw, strongly suggest giving low dose naltrexone a go for long term remission. Has been a god send for me. I stack it with a mast cell stabiliser ketotifen and it has proven incredibly effective.
No idea you had UC. Glad to hear it sounds like you found something effective though! I know right now I’m on prednisone for a flare up, and it’s insufficient to fix it. Up until now, I’d been in complete remission without any medication for 7-8 years, but now it’s back, and long-term biologic use doesn’t seem terribly appealing.

And, not going to lie, as a lifelong natty, there's something appealing about a treatment that'll actually help build muscle too.

Last edited:

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yep, this is why I’m interested in AAS. There’s been studies showing that androgens, specifically dht based, are protective against IBS which I suffer severely. There’s no mystery as I’ve had secondary gonadism for a large part of my life.

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I once knew a fake natty, that said he’d never do any gear cuz he had chrons....
“You use gear man?”
“No way, bro I broke my foot two years ago. I’m all natty man”

PhoenixGamer

Awards
The cure for Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis, IBS, SIBO etc is fixing the bacterial dysbiosis in the Large Intestines.
Often people develop these disease states after taking antibiotics because they kill both good and bad bacteria.
Probiotics may help, but are a band-aid as these bacteria do not colonize, they are transient as they move through the intestines.
Research Bacteriotherapy/Fecal Microbiota Transplants (FMTs). Stool (bacteria) from a healthy donor is transplanted to the patient, usually via enema or colonoscopy. Typically antibiotics are taken prior to the FMT, to kill off bad bacteria to help the transplant colonize more successfully by out-competing the other bad bacteria. It sounds gross, but it is the cure, not a treatment like Prednisone or other drug that will only damage the lining of your gut further over time.

AAS is a bad idea because it suppresses the immune system, allowing the dysbiosis to get worse. It needs to be addressed first.
Depending on your WBC/Neutrophils level, you may need a Hematologist to bring them up to normal prior to the FMTs. An excellent peptide to help heal the intestines is called BPC-157. This can be taken before, during and after FMTs.

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The cure for Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis, IBS, SIBO etc is fixing the bacterial dysbiosis in the Large Intestines.
Often people develop these disease states after taking antibiotics because they kill both good and bad bacteria.
Probiotics may help, but are a band-aid as these bacteria do not colonize, they are transient as they move through the intestines.
Research Bacteriotherapy/Fecal Microbiota Transplants (FMTs). Stool (bacteria) from a healthy donor is transplanted to the patient, usually via enema or colonoscopy. Typically antibiotics are taken prior to the FMT, to kill off bad bacteria to help the transplant colonize more successfully by out-competing the other bad bacteria. It sounds gross, but it is the cure, not a treatment like Prednisone or other drug that will only damage the lining of your gut further over time.

AAS is a bad idea because it suppresses the immune system, allowing the dysbiosis to get worse. It needs to be addressed first.
Depending on your WBC/Neutrophils level, you may need a Hematologist to bring them up to normal prior to the FMTs. An excellent peptide to help heal the intestines is called BPC-157. This can be taken before, during and after FMTs.
Funny you mention this because antibiotics can also be a short term treatment for IBS. I guess it depends if you have too much or too little.

I think we need to look into histamines for this type of treatment,as well.i have a theory that the body becomes allergic to its own bacteria as the food it’s been given over the years causes the bacteria to possibly become more “bad”. This would be short term, but it seems like my symptoms are better when I take claritin

Bpc sounds promising though

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Good way to provide no sources at all for your claims. There is no known/definitive/certain/sure/etc. CURE for Crohn's. I also don't even think you read the study. And HGH actually has multiple promising studies for helping with Crohn's disease. And the cause(s) of Crohn's are also pretty unkown, and there may be a genetic factor as well. You're DRASTICALLY oversimplifying things here...

Presenting FMTs as a certain CURE for ALL Crohn's disease is not accurate, and NO ONE recommends Prednisone as a long-term treatment, only as a short-term way to treat a flare-up. Biologics are the go-to long-term treatment. Granted, those have plenty of adverse effects of their own, but that's a different discussion entirely.

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Good way to provide no sources at all for your claims. There is no known/definitive/certain/sure/etc. CURE for Crohn's. I also don't even think you read the study. And HGH actually has multiple promising studies for helping with Crohn's disease. And the cause(s) of Crohn's are also pretty unkown, and there may be a genetic factor as well. You're DRASTICALLY oversimplifying things here...

Presenting FMTs as a certain CURE for ALL Crohn's disease is not accurate, and NO ONE recommends Prednisone as a long-term treatment, only as a short-term way to treat a flare-up. Biologics are the go-to long-term treatment. Granted, those have plenty of adverse effects of their own, but that's a different discussion entirely.
As you posted before, I agree certain types of aas can be useful. I’ll post links

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Females suffer IBS more than males , so I’d assume estrogen plays a HUGE negative role .

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Females suffer IBS more than males , so I’d assume estrogen plays a HUGE negative role .

Interesting.

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Interesting.
It is brother. I think may people are trying to figure out these issues as so many cases are starting to appear. Doctors really can’t do much as it’s so individual with digestion problems.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Geez, despite 1000s of researchers working on this topic, you have found a blanket answer to a very complex and not yet fully understood disease process.

So FMTs research hasn’t really jumped out as being all that effective or consistent, yet you come in and tout a cure.

I have a bridge to sell you. This tonic cures cancer

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Geez, despite 1000s of researchers working on this topic, you have found a blanket answer to a very complex and not yet fully understood disease process.

So FMTs research hasn’t really jumped out as being all that effective or consistent, yet you come in and tout a cure.

I have a bridge to sell you. This tonic cures cancer
You hit the nail on the head. I think he’s full of sh*t, pun intended.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looks like very mixed results. But even the more promising of the two studies isn’t a CURE, so nice try man. Not sure you even know what CURE means...

Three of 10 patients responded to FMT. Two of 10 patients had significant adverse events requiring escalation of therapy. On microbiome analysis, bacterial communities of responders had increased relative abundance of bacteria commonly found in donor gut microbiota.

In conclusion, this is the first study with the largest sample of patients to demonstrate that fresh FMT should be a safe and effective therapy for CD complicated with intraabdominal inflammatory mass. Scheduled repeated fresh FMTs may be used to maintain the efficacy of the previous FMT in CD with inflammatory mass. This study opens a new window to the future treatment of CD- related chronic penetrating complication.

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You hit the nail on the head. I think he’s full of sh*t, pun intended.
Many who are against big pharma may be against AAS, but I’ve seen a lot of people who are against big pharma but proponents of aas/gh/peptides / etc. we have to remember that AAS saved lives in many circumstances and has for years in what it was intended for. Same with gh.

With big pharma even, aas and gh is frowned upon!

roidsarebad

roidsarebad

Awards
Looks like very mixed results. But even the more promising of the two studies isn’t a CURE, so nice try man. Not sure you even know what CURE means...

I will freely admit that there is certainly more knowledge I should possess regarding a disease I have (Crohn’s), but the following snapshot from the above study told me all I need to know (I think) about poop transplants.
F6F1B832-A49F-4BB0-BEAC-1124F0017D8C.jpeg

roidsarebad

roidsarebad

Awards
No offense to Phoenix, but the original study posted by @muscleupcrohn is much more compelling. Not because it’s another excuse to use AAS, but because the science seems more valid. I spoke with my wife about this study and she pointed out something I hadn’t considered: I had ZERO Crohn’s flares while I was on TRT. I of course felt more energetic and had a much better sense of well being as well. For me, I’ll stick with being......well, stuck with a needle vs a sh1t swap.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No offense to Phoenix, but the original study posted by @muscleupcrohn is much more compelling. Not because it’s another excuse to use AAS, but because the science seems more valid. I spoke with my wife about this study and she pointed out something I hadn’t considered: I had ZERO Crohn’s flares while I was on TRT. I of course felt more energetic and had a much better sense of well being as well. For me, I’ll stick with being......well, stuck with a needle vs a sh1t swap.
I was on GH as a child due to short stature with Crohn’s. I was the shortest kid in my class in kindergarten and a few years after that, and then normal height for my age by 6-7th grade, after a few years of being prescribed GH, and now I’m happily a very average 5’10”. Well, I was in general remission, besides occasional flare ups, that entire time. But the insurance stopped paying for it I think going into 9th grade, and I needed surgery going into 10th grade, so yeah, another n=1 anecdote I guess.

Edit: I don’t recall how long exactly I was on or when I started, as I was very young, but it was years, and I did well on it, and needed surgery within a year or two after stopping it. Not exactly a super scientific report, but still...

I’ll have to talk to my dad and ask for more specific details on the timeframe. I know I was diagnosed with Crohn’s at 5-6, which is VERY young for this.

roidsarebad

roidsarebad

Awards
I was on GH as a child due to short stature with Crohn’s. I was the shortest kid in my class in kindergarten and a few years after that, and then normal height for my age by 6-7th grade, after a few years of being prescribed GH, and now I’m happily a very average 5’10”. Well, I was in general remission, besides occasional flare ups, that entire time. But the insurance stopped paying for it I think going into 9th grade, and I needed surgery going into 10th grade, so yeah, another n=1 anecdote I guess.

Edit: I don’t recall how long exactly I was on or when I started, as I was very young, but it was years, and I did well on it, and needed surgery within a year or two after stopping it. Not exactly a super scientific report, but still...

I’ll have to talk to my dad and ask for more specific details on the timeframe. I know I was diagnosed with Crohn’s at 5-6, which is VERY young for this.
Indeed that is very young to start dealing with Crohn’s. Interesting that GH seemed to help, although you’re right, hard to say that’s what kept you in general remission. Then again, here are two dudes who can say there may be something to this based on the study, and their own results. Once my fat ass is down to 17% (ish) body fat I’m going to put this to the “test” (pun intended) again.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I did some reading on LDN, and it seems very promising and well tolerated. Thanks for the recommendation. Lots of things to consider for sure.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
More info on LDN and CD:

Low-dose naltrexone (LDN) has been demonstrated to reduce symptom severity in conditions such as fibromyalgia, Crohn’s disease, multiple sclerosis, and complex regional pain syndrome. We review the evidence that LDN may operate as a novel anti-inflammatory agent in the central nervous system, via action on microglial cells. These effects may be unique to low dosages of naltrexone and appear to be entirely independent from naltrexone’s better-known activity on opioid receptors. As a daily oral therapy, LDN is inexpensive and well-tolerated. Despite initial promise of efficacy, the use of LDN for chronic disorders is still highly experimental. Published trials have low sample sizes, and few replications have been performed. We cover the typical usage of LDN in clinical trials, caveats to using the medication, and recommendations for future research and clinical work. LDN may represent one of the first glial cell modulators to be used for the management of chronic pain disorders.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3962576/?fbclid=IwAR1sw1cLGdWyFXMwS0K7oOGPkYzNBbZJbs1IUbhLWcVXINWqh0jQpAni2qo

Forty subjects with active Crohn’s disease were enrolled in the study. Randomized patients received daily oral administration of 4.5-mg naltrexone or placebo...

Eighty-eight percent of those treated with naltrexone had at least a 70-point decline in CDAI scores compared to 40% of placebo-treated patients (p = 0.009). After 12 weeks, 78% of subjects treated with naltrexone exhibited an endoscopic response as indicated by a 5-point decline in the Crohn’s disease endoscopy index severity score (CDEIS) from baseline compared to 28% response in placebo-treated controls (p = 0.008), and 33% achieved remission with a CDEIS score <6, whereas only 8% of those on placebo showed the same change. Fatigue was the only side effect reported that was significantly greater in subjects receiving placebo...

Naltrexone improves clinical and inflammatory activity of subjects with moderate to severe Crohn’s disease compared to placebo-treated controls. Strategies to alter the endogenous opioid system provide promise for the treatment of Crohn’s disease.
In addition, over half of our patient volunteers had previously failed or were intolerant of anti-TNFα biologic agents, suggesting a more resistant disease expression. Based upon the CDAI score response rates, our subjects showed a significant improvement with naltrexone therapy, with 88% meeting the primary end point of the study.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3381945/

Eligible subjects with histologically and endoscopically confirmed active Crohn's disease activity index (CDAI) score of 220-450 were enrolled in a study using 4.5 mg naltrexone/day. Infliximab was not allowed for a minimum of 8 wk prior to study initiation. Other therapy for Crohn's disease that was at a stable dose for 4 wk prior to enrollment was continued at the same doses. Patients completed the inflammatory bowel disease questionnaire (IBDQ) and the short-form (SF-36) quality of life surveys and CDAI scores were assessed pretreatment, every 4 wk on therapy and 4 wk after completion of the study drug. Drug was administered by mouth each evening for a 12-wk period...

Seventeen patients with a mean CDAI score of 356 +/- 27 were enrolled. CDAI scores decreased significantly (P= 0.01) with LDN, and remained lower than baseline 4 wk after completing therapy. Eighty-nine percent of patients exhibited a response to therapy and 67% achieved a remission (P < 0.001). Improvement was recorded in both quality of life surveys with LDN compared with baseline. No laboratory abnormalities were noted. The most common side effect was sleep disturbances, occurring in seven patients...

LDN therapy appears effective and safe in subjects with active Crohn's disease. Further studies are needed to explore the use of this compound.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17222320/

PhoenixGamer

Awards
The problem with LDN is that it calms the immune system, specifically the glial cells/macrophages. Again, this is not good in people with intestinal dysbiosis because it will make it worse. A good test to see your microbiome's current status is Genova's Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis. I'm not against TRT, hormones, peptides, etc. The problem is that you will get worse in the long run. The reason is that adrenal function will worsen over time as the dysbiosis/infection gets worse. TRT/GH/Thyroid, etc. ALL REQUIRE normal adrenal function (cortisol output). Again, I don't doubt that that the hormones help initially, but it won't last.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The problem with LDN is that it calms the immune system, specifically the glial cells/macrophages. Again, this is not good in people with intestinal dysbiosis because it will make it worse. A good test to see your microbiome's current status is Genova's Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis. I'm not against TRT, hormones, peptides, etc. The problem is that you will get worse in the long run. The reason is that adrenal function will worsen over time as the dysbiosis/infection gets worse. TRT/GH/Thyroid, etc. ALL REQUIRE normal adrenal function (cortisol output). Again, I don't doubt that that the hormones help initially, but it won't last.
The problem with learning a little tiny bit about something is that you try to apply that small amount of knowledge to every problem you come across. Trying to treat every problem as an issue with the "microbiome" is premature and foolish. We all do this though - we have some knowledge and we don't realize what we don't realize.

Not to be grouped in with the "microbiome" crowd but to maybe build a bridge - my gf has an unrelated autoimmune disease (pemphigus) and putting her on high doses of Vitamin D and L. Reuteri (unfortunately finding a quality reuteri at an affordable price is difficult) - has actually had some impact, although it is far from a cure.

I actually believe that she has, potentially, some hormonal issues and a high 27-OH-Cholesterol conversion rate as even relatively small weight gain (10-20 pounds) causes vitals to change dramatically. For instance, at 120 she has perfect blood pressure. At 140 she is in major need of blood pressure medication.

I also know someone with Crohn's and TRT may be helpful for him. LDN also seems interesting for both him and my gf.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How about you post one damn source/reference for ANY of your claims...

You come here claiming to know the CURE for a disease that we hardy know anything about. Yet the research on your supposed “cure” is not only far from substantial enough to be conclusive, but also even the most promising individual studies didn’t show it was a CURE, only that it may help. And other studies showed it may worsen symptoms, so it’s FAR from a CURE, at least right now with what we know.

Again, nice try though...

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How about you post one damn source/reference for ANY of your claims...

You come here claiming to know the CURE for a disease that we hardy know anything about. Yet the research on your supposed “cure” is not only far from substantial enough to be conclusive, but also even the most promising individual studies didn’t show it was a CURE, only that it may help. And other studies showed it may worsen symptoms, so it’s FAR from a CURE, at least right now with what we know.

Again, nice try though...

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And “calming the immune system” is pretty much what biologics do, to simplify things a lot, and they’re the current go-to treatment for CD. So your logic dictates that they’ll also make the disease worse in the long run.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
And “calming the immune system” is pretty much what biologics do, to simplify things a lot, and they’re the current go-to treatment for CD. So your logic dictates that they’ll also make the disease worse in the long run.
People view things as "good" or "bad" and things just don't work like that of course. He sees the immune system as a shield only, and has not realized it has the potential to be a sword as well. Kind of like, "Inflammation is bad, we have to do everything possible to eliminate inflammation" - yeah, except, sometimes, we want it.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Since there are multiple people ITT who either have or know people who have some form of IBD/IBS, here's a really solid review of research on various herbal options, which were often added to other "conventional" treatments/medications. They did a good job breaking it down between not only studies on Crohn's and Colitis patients, but also studies on patients in remission vs active disease for each. Really solid read IMO:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4367210/

StrongGuy

StrongGuy

Awards
This conversation is fascinating to me. I was diagnosed with UC almost 7 years ago (now 37) and never realized how many people have to deal with IBD, especially in the fitness community. The good/bad of it is I have been on HUMIRA (adalimumab) since the diagnosis which scares the hell out of me long term but I have been completely symptom free since I went into remission after nearly ending up in the hospital (probably should have looking back) because I was severely anaemic. I've often wondered if I could go off the HUMIRA safely. On a side note I recently began TRT a few months ago so now I wonder about it even more to be honest.

roidsarebad

roidsarebad

Awards
This conversation is fascinating to me. I was diagnosed with UC almost 7 years ago (now 37) and never realized how many people have to deal with IBD, especially in the fitness community. The good/bad of it is I have been on HUMIRA (adalimumab) since the diagnosis which scares the hell out of me long term but I have been completely symptom free since I went into remission after nearly ending up in the hospital (probably should have looking back) because I was severely anaemic. I've often wondered if I could go off the HUMIRA safely. On a side note I recently began TRT a few months ago so now I wonder about it even more to be honest.
The number of people with IBD is quite surprising. Shocking, really. I personally hear more and more people I know being diagnosed with some form of IBD at least once a year. Hell, 15 years ago I hadn’t even heard of Crohn’s or ulcerative colitis. My father was diagnosed with Crohn’s and told me about his symptoms, which sounded very similar to the issues I had. Couple years later and I was being probed, then diagnosed as well. Good times. That said, I think there is something to AAS helping these issues. Without realizing it at the time, I had no flares while on TRT. Can’t speak for HGH as I’ve never experimented with it. I recently ditched the corticosteroid Budesonide in an effort to see if it really does anything for me. Like many others, I’d prefer not needing those types of medications, so hopefully it works out. Humira is a different medication entirely (if I recall correctly), so I don’t know what possible issues would, or could, arise from discontinuing it’s use. Might be worth bringing up to your doctor, especially with the recent addition of TRT.

cronikgains

cronikgains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
This explains a lot for me. I have IBS and when I am on cycle (no pinning, but 4-andro, epiandro, etc stuff like that) - I can eat a lot and NEVER have any painful experiences in the bathroom. It's really weird, and I have been off all gear for a while now and my issues are getting worse, more flare ups and every morning is a struggle cause I don't know if I can make it to work or not if I'm stuck on the toilet in pain. This shyt is terrible I don't wish it on my worst enemies.

cronikgains

cronikgains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
Sorry I know this is old but still very relevant to many of us and it shows up when I search google on this topic. And, there's a lot of smart people here. I have had days where I couldn't function properly due to stomache issues and it always seems to happen when I start training hard and bulking (without PEDs)