A new study on 10 g pure L-Citrulline (not malate)

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Someone go take 4 scoops of High Volume and report back if your pumps are superhuman like

[h=1]L-citrulline Improves Splanchnic Perfusion and Reduces Gut Injury during Exercise.[/h]
[h=3]Abstract[/h][h=4]PURPOSE:[/h]Splanchnic hypoperfusion is a physiological phenomenon during strenuous exercise. It has been associated with gastrointestinal symptoms, intestinal injury, and may hamper athletic performance. We hypothesized that L-citrulline supplementation improves splanchnic perfusion and decreases intestinal injury by enhancing arginine availability. The aim of this study was to determine the effect of L-citrulline intake on splanchnic perfusion, intestinal injury and barrier function during exercise.
[h=4]METHODS:[/h]In this randomized, double-blinded crossover study, ten men cycled for 60 min at 70% of their maximum workload after L-citrulline (10 g) or placebo (L-alanine) intake. Splanchnic perfusion was assessed using gastric air tonometry. Sublingual microcirculation was evaluated by sidestream dark-field imaging. Plasma amino acid levels and intestinal fatty-acid binding protein (I-FABP) concentrations, reflecting enterocyte damage, were assessed every 10 min. Urinary excretion of sugar probes was measured to evaluate intestinal permeability changes.
[h=4]RESULTS:[/h]Oral L-citrulline supplementation enhanced plasma citrulline (1840.3±142.3 μM) and arginine levels (238.5±9.1 μM) compared to placebo (45.7±4.8 μM and 101.5±6.1 μM, respectively; P<0.0001), resulting in increased arginine availability. Splanchnic hypoperfusion was prevented during exercise following L-citrulline ingestion (reflected by unaltered gapg-apCO2 levels), whereas gapg-apCO2 increased with placebo treatment (P<0.01). Accordingly, L-citrulline intake resulted in an increased number of perfused small sublingual vessels compared with placebo (7.8±6.0 vs. -2.0±2.4; P=0.06). Furthermore, plasma I-FABP levels were attenuated during exercise following L-citrulline supplementation compared to placebo (AUC0-60min -185±506 vs. 1318±553 %; P<0.01). No significant differences were observed for intestinal permeability.
[h=4]CONCLUSION:[/h]Pre-exercise L-citrulline intake preserves splanchnic perfusion and attenuates intestinal injury during exercise in athletes compared to placebo, probably by enhancing arginine availability. These results suggest that oral L-citrulline supplementation is a promising intervention to combat splanchnic hypoperfusion-induced intestinal compromise.

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
20g L-Cit... I dunno :p

I almost read the placebo as L-arginine.. would of been lulz :D

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
ericool007

ericool007

Awards
  • Established
I always preferred just straight cittulline over CM this is why I like High Volume and I use it at 3 scoops. 4 seems a but excessive imo.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I always preferred just straight cittulline over CM this is why I like High Volume and I use it at 3 scoops. 4 seems a but excessive imo.
That's some high volume - high volume lol. You sip that intra or champ it all down before?

ericool007

ericool007

Awards
  • Established
That's some high volume - high volume lol. You sip that intra or champ it all down before?
All before with A scoop and a half of alphamine. And I just started adding in a few KNO3 to it and I must say it's been a good experience thus far.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
For those who don't understand, during exercise there is a massive redirection of bloodflow to exercising muscle tissue, leaving the GI tract devoid of adequate circulation. This study is basically demonstrating that l-citrulline is such an effective vasodilator that it can allow full perfusion (blood flow) throughout the body, even when demands on skeletal muscle are high.

So use your citrulline :D

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
For those who don't understand, during exercise there is a massive redirection of bloodflow to exercising muscle tissue, leaving the GI tract devoid of adequate circulation. This study is basically demonstrating that l-citrulline is such an effective vasodilator that it can allow full perfusion (blood flow) throughout the body, even when demands on skeletal muscle are high.

So use your citrulline :D
Natty and coop in the same thread eh? My speculation senses are tingling.

Do I forsee the next PES pre containing L citrulline??

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Gut Pump by SNS? Sounds not all that sexy:)

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Natty and coop in the same thread eh? My speculation senses are tingling.

Do I forsee the next PES pre containing L citrulline??
It's possible but not as of now. It's a great ingredient regardless

Dr Lopez still says he prefers CM. I don't recall his reasoning though. He advises a lot of high level athletes, and conducts a lot of highly regarded supplement research fwiw.

http://www.appliedhealthsciences.org/research/executives-and-research-affiliates/dr-hector-l-lopez-jr/
In all my research I could never really see the use for malate in bodybuilding. Perhaps in intense endurance events though

Auslifter

Auslifter

Awards
  • Established
i noticed this multiple times.. from pres with just L-Cit.. jack3d micro/ritual, pumps were always better alongside agmatine and nitrates compared to cit malate with agmatine and nitrates

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's possible but not as of now. It's a great ingredient regardlessIn all my research I could never really see the use for malate in bodybuilding. Perhaps in intense endurance events though
Indeed regarding CM. Also, good explanation regarding the study.