7 Days fasting. Zero calories for 168 hours. HGP's short log

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
Awesome, have you found it to be as beneficial as it seems to be? I almost want to do it just to be able to take ice baths more often to help with inflammation. Just that alone is pretty awesome.
It has cured all my chronic training aches. I had a tweaked lower back and my wrists were breaking down. Ever since i started the ice baths at least once a week, gone. I stopped once and it all came back. Started back and gone again.

So thats why i kept with it, but the breathing method is a fantastic way to meditate and i do it daily. The method of breathing and controlling your breathing during the ice is basically just practicing overriding your fight or flight responses to relax. So i do the breathing meditation in the morning after stretching and doing what my wife has labeled my "old man excercises". Its crazy beneficial for will power, aches, depression amd mood, problems, etc.

Wim Hof said he started doing it cuz when his wife died it was the only thing that could pull him from his depression to be in the freezing environment.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Dang!!! Very serious changes in fat on stomach, spare tire and pecs! I really expected not to see any difference beyond probably looking drier and flatter, but you are definitely leaner.

I can only assume due to the GH levels, but the most interesting thing to me is the arms, delts, all the visible muscle still seems full & same size...I expected you to flatten out at least, but that’s just not the case.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It has cured all my chronic training aches. I had a tweaked lower back and my wrists were breaking down. Ever since i started the ice baths at least once a week, gone. I stopped once and it all came back. Started back and gone again.

So thats why i kept with it, but the breathing method is a fantastic way to meditate and i do it daily. The method of breathing and controlling your breathing during the ice is basically just practicing overriding your fight or flight responses to relax. So i do the breathing meditation in the morning after stretching and doing what my wife has labeled my "old man excercises". Its crazy beneficial for will power, aches, depression amd mood, problems, etc.

Wim Hof said he started doing it cuz when his wife died it was the only thing that could pull him from his depression to be in the freezing environment.
Very interesting! Personally, I'm glad I can pull off the fasting thing. Doing also ice bath's has to wait, I mean, that's way too much at once. But I keep it in mind.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dang!!! Very serious changes in fat on stomach, spare tire and pecs! I really expected not to see any difference beyond probably looking drier and flatter, but you are definitely leaner.

I can only assume due to the GH levels, but the most interesting thing to me is the arms, delts, all the visible muscle still seems full & same size...I expected you to flatten out at least, but that’s just not the case.
Arms are more flat, I know , because if I want to touch my shoulder (same arm as shoulder, doing a biceps pose) with my finger, I now can touch it, before was 1.5 inches air between finger and shoulder.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Very interesting! Personally, I'm glad I can pull off the fasting thing. Doing also ice bath's has to wait, I mean, that's way too much at once. But I keep it in mind.
I love my cold showers and it aids fat loss and recovery.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love my cold showers and it aids fat loss and recovery.
Where I live, the cold water from my faucet is like the hot water from your faucet :) . Here 100 F daily is normal.

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
I agree. I never try to change too many habits at one time. One win is better than 3 fails. Its not where you are, but where your goin!

And by the way, lookin good!

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
Agreed, his fat loss is plainly apparent.

Muscle glycogen is spared during fasting. The primary cause of the “flat muscles” sometimes seen during fasting is intra and extracellular fluid loss due to low plasma electrolytes, primarily sodium.

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
Arms are more flat, I know , because if I want to touch my shoulder (same arm as shoulder, doing a biceps pose) with my finger, I now can touch it, before was 1.5 inches air between finger and shoulder.
A good bit of that is subcutaneous fluid loss. If you were to lift and get a pump I bet you’d find that your muscles would be just as full, but would look even better than they did pumped during your last arms day, because you’re leaner and dryer while still maintaining the same (or nearly so) glycogen levels.

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well yeah with that attitude you are right!!!! However you are totally selling yourself short. You earned your doctorate you can fast for a week!!!!
Hahahaha! I'm just being a goof. I'm sure I could do it my dude. Just not sure I would want to. I'm already so thin right now there's a chance I could literally disappear if I were to fast for a day let alone a week! Lol
I see what you did there by the way bro. ???

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Looking much more defined !!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Day 6

Announcement

I started the fast not only together with my wife -but also with my friend, who is my training partner.

He informed me today that he broke the rules yesterday, while on a birthday party. Luckily, he only ate a chunk of fatty meat and still is in ketosis.
Out of solidarity, I decided to break my fast too, because this way we can start training together and socialize. To complete at least 6 days, I'll eat my first meal after midnight, probably a chicken soup with a bit of meat and lot of fat.

Sorry to disappoint you all -but my real life comes first. I did it for 6 days, damn!. Will keep logging here until reaching my goal. Tonight starts my ketogenic diet.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Day 6

Announcement

I started the fast not only together with my wife -but also with my friend, who is my training partner.

He informed me today that he broke the rules yesterday, while on a birthday party. Luckily, he only ate a chunk of fatty meat and still is in ketosis.
Out of solidarity, I decided to break my fast too, because this way we can start training together and socialize. To complete at least 6 days, I'll eat my first meal after midnight, probably a chicken soup with a bit of meat and lot of fat.

Sorry to disappoint you all -but my real life comes first. I did it for 6 days, damn!. Will keep logging here until reaching my goal. Tonight starts my ketogenic diet.
6 days is still a feat. Don't fool yourself

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Spineless Jelly Fish !!!!!!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Our brains love to come up with reasons why you should give it food, such as solidarity. Like DC said, thats still a hell of a feat man. I'd love it if you'd post your thoughts on the entire experience once you have a day or two to reflect on it all. Enjoy that vodka

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Six days is six days! After you get to reflect on the experience it would be cool to see a brief summary about it like jswain34 mentioned.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Our brains love to come up with reasons why you should give it food, such as solidarity. Like DC said, thats still a hell of a feat man. I'd love it if you'd post your thoughts on the entire experience once you have a day or two to reflect on it all. Enjoy that vodka
You are right that its an excuse. Thing is, I can't meet with people while fasting, I just cant. Could I have stayed reclusive at home, avoiding everyone for a week? Yes, I admit it.

Will do a final review with all my thoughts on it after my first day of training.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Will do a summary in a few days, including the transition to ketogenic diet and how the first workout went. Final pic after workout on Monday

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Update pics:

No idea why the updated pic is darker, not intentionally. I feel way leaner than I look.
Wow the difference is very noticeable. As everyone else said especially around the waist area.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow the difference is very noticeable. As everyone else said especially around the waist area.
Thank you. Imagine going through all the torture and nothing happens. Or worse, loosing only your biceps in the process. Hehehe!

Honestly, today I discovered that I lost the nasty boob fat that I had , that goes from the boob to the armpit:

Pic was from before the fast:

instant.jpg

I swear its gone (or at least not visible anymore).

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Thank you. Imagine going through all the torture and nothing happens. Or worse, loosing only your biceps in the process. Hehehe!

Honestly, today I discovered that I lost the nasty boob fat that I had , that goes from the boob to the armpit:

Pic was from before the fast:

View attachment 179848

I swear its gone (or at least not visible anymore).
I could use to lose that spot too ha. Always my last place to lose

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I could use to lose that spot too ha. Always my last place to lose
You already are at the BF% I wanna get to. If you would fast 3-4 days, it should be gone -and half of the hip tire too.
Was always eyeballing the hip tire, not much of a change there. Less boob fat is welcome too.

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your titts look beautiful, I assume you're quite excited to put on the barbecue now :D

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your titts look beautiful, I assume you're quite excited to put on the barbecue now :D
You have no idea how exited I am (about the BBQ)! :)
There is a small change for my first meal...
In fact, the BBQ is tonight. My friends come over and at 12.30 pm we eat together.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You did 6days, Sir. I am not sure if that’s possible for many of us here. You should be proud that you still got 6days. But, honestly, if I were to do it, (which I will never. Because I’ll just can’t) I would have got that one last day. That one last squeeze. Not taking anything away from you, sir. Hats off to you for the 6days you stuck to. Hope I am not coming out the wrong way.

Waiting for the final pics.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You did 6days, Sir. I am not sure if that’s possible for many of us here. You should be proud that you still got 6days. But, honestly, if I were to do it, (which I will never. Because I’ll just can’t) I would have got that one last day.

Waiting for the final pics.
Yep....that last fugging day, it bothers me a bit. The moment I heard my friend started eating a day ago, I broke too. I'm very competitive, when he threw the towel and I realized I won by 1 more day, mission complete....

Pics on Monday after the first workout.

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In fact, the BBQ is tonight. My friends come over and at 12.30 pm we eat together.
Haha, wonder how your belly will respond. Sometimes when you go without eating you think you can eat 5 times as much but you can't. Gotta be excited to get back to the gym tho.

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yep....that last fugging day, it bothers me a bit. The moment I heard my friend started eating a day ago, I broke too. I'm very competitive, when he threw the towel and I realized I won by 1 more day, mission complete....

Pics on Monday after the first workout.
LOL you should have stayed away form eachother!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Haha, wonder how your belly will respond. Sometimes when you go without eating you think you can eat 5 times as much but you can't. Gotta be excited to get back to the gym tho.
I gonna go slow with the food, some Betaine for digestion and Magnesium Chloride for intestinal peristaltic. Gym in ketosis will be Puzzy-weight-gym, I guess.

I'm still not convinced anyone can gain muscles on a keto diet... even on gear.

danielvp

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I gonna go slow with the food, some Betaine for digestion and Magnesium Chloride for intestinal peristaltic. Gym in ketosis will be Puzzy-weight-gym, I guess.

Same, my performance in the gym is non-existent without carbs, don't see how people gain weight on keto.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Same, my performance in the gym is non-existent without carbs, don't see how people gain weight on keto.
Making sure getting enough protein, and eating fat like it is carbs. You can gain weight. Obviously will be holding a lot less water weight though.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

My friend gained 11lbs of muscle in 2 months on a keto carnivore diet, no gear. Dexa scan to prove it.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
My friend has a video made, had a competition to see who can put on the most muscle. ♤♤♤

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

You can, its not optimal but I'm fairly sure you'd experience more with gear and keto than no keto an natural. Make sure you have enough calories and I would still have a little carbs around workout regardless.

Going full keto is not something I believe in when building muscles, low carb with 100 - 200 gr of carbs with if not all, the majority coming from soluble fiber

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Check all guns at the door !!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Nice work HGP! You certainly made it easier for me to adhere to 2500cal/day!

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
Day 6

Announcement

It's not a disappointment. It would have been a disappointment if you quit before the end of day 3. After a 72 hour fast the entire immune system is regenerated and probably most/all tumors are destroyed in the process. In my book, anything more than 72 hours is just a bonus.

Well done!

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
You are right that its an excuse. Thing is, I can't meet with people while fasting, I just cant. Could I have stayed reclusive at home, avoiding everyone for a week? Yes, I admit it.

Will do a final review with all my thoughts on it after my first day of training.
Be very cautious with the alcohol. Your tolerance will be about 1/3 of what you're used to because of all the ketones, which bind to the same receptors as Valium.

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
You can, human studies show that this is possible. It's just a slower process because insulin is obviously a major player in muscle growth.

Running a low cal targeted ketogenic diet with high-cal refeeds after lifting and you can gain muscle just as quickly as running a standard bulking diet while losing fat. Pair that with a full day (or preferably two, where the fast is broken by lifting hard and then eating big) of fasting per week and you can fully recomp from 25% BF to 10% bodyfat in 12 weeks or less with muscle gain without gear. With the right gear, I can get it done in 8 weeks.

I've personally seen and documented this transformation at least a dozen times. It very personally (and financially) rewarding to take a lump of flesh and turn it into a rock hard mass.

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
My friend gained 11lbs of muscle in 2 months on a keto carnivore diet, no gear. Dexa scan to prove it.
The very high protein is actually only partially ketogenic. You pop in and out of ketosis -- excess protein is always converted to glucose.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
The very high protein is actually only partially ketogenic. You pop in and out of ketosis -- excess protein is always converted to glucose.
True, even those in regular keto go in and out of ketosis, during meals.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It's not a disappointment. It would have been a disappointment if you quit before the end of day 3. After a 72 hour fast the entire immune system is regenerated and probably most/all tumors are destroyed in the process. In my book, anything more than 72 hours is just a bonus.

Well done!
All tumors...? Come on bro...lets bring it down a notch here. Im aware of the anti-cancer effects of fasting but to say you can just fast and destroy "all tumors" is quite ridiculous.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
All tumors...? Come on bro...lets bring it down a notch here. Im aware of the anti-cancer effects of fasting but to say you can just fast and destroy "all tumors" is quite ridiculous.
I would say if you fasted long enough it’s reasonable to believe you could starve the cancer cells to the point of dissipation. But how long that is, or if I’m correct at all, I don’t have anything to back.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I would say if you fasted long enough it’s reasonable to believe you could starve the cancer cells to the point of dissipation. But how long that is, or if I’m correct at all, I don’t have anything to back.
I never said it wasnt feasible for it to happen in some types of tumors, but to say all tumors are destroyed in 72 hours of fasting is an asinine blanket statement. You dont think we wouldnt have cancer patients fasting all over the place if we could cure cancer with 72 hours of fasting? I did see some research in undergrad showing that fasting + chemo & radiation was more effective than chemo or radiation alone or in combination in shrinking tumor size, so i am by no means denying the possible benefit. I just strongly disagree with the fact he made the claim that "all tumors" would be "destroyed" in 72 hours of fasting.

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
No it's not, and research is bearing this out.There are studies conducted at USC showing that fasting is *much* more effective at killing tumors than the best chemotherapy drugs.

What do you think tumors consume for fuel? Glucose.

How long can cells that can only use glucose as fuel survive without it? Hours.

Do you know what autophagy does? It eats all diseased tissue and all cells that are not needed.

Do you know when autophagy peaks and remains constantly at this peak during fasting? 48-72 hours.

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
I never said it wasnt feasible for it to happen in some types of tumors, but to say all tumors are destroyed in 72 hours of fasting is an asinine blanket statement. You dont think we wouldnt have cancer patients fasting all over the place if we could cure cancer with 72 hours of fasting? I did see some research in undergrad showing that fasting + chemo & radiation was more effective than chemo or radiation alone or in combination in shrinking tumor size, so i am by no means denying the possible benefit. I just strongly disagree with the fact he made the claim that "all tumors" would be "destroyed" in 72 hours of fasting.
I never said all. I said most/all, and this is supported by research.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
this is like reading about someone's trip to mars....something I will never do, but very interesting none the less!!!

congrats on 6 days hairygrandpa