7 Days fasting. Zero calories for 168 hours. HGP's short log

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
Day 3
Before bed, I popped a couple of R-ALA, hoping it will get me into ketosis while sleeping.
Had crazy dreams at night and woke up frequently. My guess is, its due to elevated GH output, felt like on MK-677.
Elevated GH and cortisol.

If your DNA/brain had its choice you would forego sleep and hunt instead. Not being able to sleep well is a survival mechanism.

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
I'm still not depleted of glycogen....

Arms look still thick, should be less swollen...or I'm simply just huge. :)

Muscle glycogen will not be tapped unless you’re using the muscles. Only liver glycogen is depleted during a fast.

I leave it to you to guess the reasons why this is so...

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Muscle glycogen will not be tapped unless you’re using the muscles. Only liver glycogen is depleted during a fast.

I leave it to you to guess the reasons why this is so...
Need my muscle glycogen to hunt -and to swing my club to knock out a women. :)

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Injury sucks azz. If you have to lose a few pounds AND like to accelerate healing, give it a try. Not sure if fasting is good for injuries -as I imagine the body would need nutrients for healing. It may be good for chronic problems -or auto immune disorders, I guess.
Going to use some bpc-157 too.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
late sub but interested to see this

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
This would be very interesting.
7 days fasting Vs 7 days caloric deficit.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This would be very interesting.
7 days fasting Vs 7 days caloric deficit.
Unless his caloric deficit also equated to 0 cals, it wouldnt really be all that interesting. Your statement makes sense when it is time restricted feeding, which is often referred to as fasting as you know. But in just a plain, standard "deficit" hed still be eating more than what he is now. And just to pick the low hanging fruit, he is in a caloric deficit

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
HGP, is using this method to lose weight/Body fat. So,it would be interesting to see which method is superior.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
HGP, is using this method to lose weight/Body fat. So,it would be interesting to see which method is superior.
Zero cal fast should be best, IF done for a shorter period. Long term is restricted cal better, especially with a high protein intake, as it preserves muscles. Am I right, Spurfy ?

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wanted to post update pics -but I saw no difference at all. Gonna wait until day 5.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I believe if one is doing a 7 days Deficit and exercising they would get better results,than a 7 days fasting and not exercising.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Maybe after the 0 calorie fast, eat only protein sourced food, like sirloin, or chicken breasts, for a couple weeks. Since you will be in ketosis, you will be on a big deficit, you will get improved protein synthesis from protein specific meals, and the body will burn your fat for fuel.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here a short example about my mental struggle:

"I need some flavor in my water." Searching throughout the kitchen a sachet with "instant orange juice" -zero calorie concentrate, I THOUGHT I saw earlier. Found a sachet with strawberry juice powder containing 15 kcal. "Do I use that? I could do 20 pushups and the 15 kcal are gone." Holding sachet in hand, contemplating my options. "Nah, not gonna do that."

Now that kind of struggle is repeating itself multiple times per day, like: " Saturday my friend comes over to play pool, how much calories has Vodka? What if I mix it with coke zero?"

You got the picture.

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
Wanted to post update pics -but I saw no difference at all. Gonna wait until day 5.
I think you'd need to be at a pretty low fat percentage to see a significant change in 1 week of fasting. What you are doing is fat adapting your body. If you intermittent fast and restrict carbs a bit after this you will see the physique change relatively quickly, but still not in a week.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I believe if one is doing a 7 days Deficit and exercising they would get better results,than a 7 days fasting and not exercising.
Yes, probably.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Maybe after the 0 calorie fast, eat only protein sourced food, like sirloin, or chicken breasts, for a couple weeks. Since you will be in ketosis, you will be on a big deficit, you will get improved protein synthesis from protein specific meals, and the body will burn your fat for fuel.
Awesome! I have done this before.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think you'd need to be at a pretty low fat percentage to see a significant change in 1 week of fasting. What you are doing is fat adapting your body. If you intermittent fast and restrict carbs a bit after this you will see the physique change relatively quickly, but still not in a week.
My plan is to go on a ketogenic diet after the fast, until I reach my goal (15%BF or lower). I don't want to go lower, as I may not be able to hold that physique . It would remind me of some friends I have, showing me pics of themselves at 6% BF, they ONCE had and never again achieved. That is for me a ridiculous notion.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Here a short example about my mental struggle:

"I need some flavor in my water." Searching throughout the kitchen a sachet with "instant orange juice" -zero calorie concentrate, I THOUGHT I saw earlier. Found a sachet with strawberry juice powder containing 15 kcal. "Do I use that? I could do 20 pushups and the 15 kcal are gone." Holding sachet in hand, contemplating my options. "Nah, not gonna do that."

Now that kind of struggle is repeating itself multiple times per day, like: " Saturday my friend comes over to play pool, how much calories has Vodka? What if I mix it with coke zero?"

You got the picture.
that sounds just like the arguement I used to have with myself when I 1st quit drinking...a couple of drinks is ok, I can handle it-NOT!!!

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
Zero cal fast should be best, IF done for a shorter period. Long term is restricted cal better, especially with a high protein intake, as it preserves muscles. Am I right, Spurfy ?
We haven't really defined "better", but I'll give it a shot:

1. Long term CR lowers GH and IGF-1 significantly and causes a permanent decrease in BMR. This is why CR reliably extends life span in all animal models.

2. Prolonged fasting done one or more times per year, followed by a normal diet, would not cause these unwanted metabolic adaptations while still providing the benefits of CR, with the added bonus of:

a. Preventing or eliminating cancerous tumors
b. The ability to take advantage of the GH surge and increased insulin sensitivity to pack on muscle by breaking a fast with multiple consecutive days of heavy lifting coupled with time-restricted feeding (22/2) and a large calorie surplus.

Congratulations: You just got more than $1000 of free coaching from me. I've used line "b" with collegiate athletes to put on 6-15 lbs of lean mass (muscle and "glycogen super compensation weight") in 2 weeks with no PEDs.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
My plan is to go on a ketogenic diet after the fast, until I reach my goal (15%BF or lower). I don't want to go lower, as I may not be able to hold that physique . It would remind me of some friends I have, showing me pics of themselves at 6% BF, they ONCE had and never again achieved. That is for me a ridiculous notion.
Go carnivore keto.

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
You could get to 6-10% (depending on genetics) and keep it. PM me, I'll coach you on this for free.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This sounds like a good plan..... Make sense !!

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
He will most certainly see noticeable physique changes in one week. He's not going to be shredded, but it will be very apparent.

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
Would it be fat loss or water loss?
Both, but here's the thing that most people don't understand, subcutaneous water in the abdominal region* is difficult to get rid of, it requires an elimination in the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines secreted by adipocytes and this elimination can only occur when leptin, ghrelin, GH, and insulin levels are at ideal points and when overall systemic inflammation is brought down to zero.

When people deride the loss of "water weight" they're not really understanding that a large percentage of what they perceive as bodyfat is actually what I call "stubborn water weight"

*This water is held because it promotes the rapid distribution of these cytokines throughout the body, which then go on to promote all sorts of undesirable and ultimately destructive metabolic activities throughout the body. This is also why dry fasting brings down systemic (including neuro) inflammation very rapidly.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You’re absolutely right! Sub water fat in the abdominal region is so hard to eliminate.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You could get to 6-10% (depending on genetics) and keep it. PM me, I'll coach you on this for free.
I find your offer awesome -but I decline. I'm somewhat egocentric and creative in nature and love to learn by failure, believe it or not. I'm just not a guy who follows advise. Finding my own way is what I enjoy most, taking bits of advise here -and there, when it fits my ideas.

I was able to hold my current BF% (18-20%) for about a year now (note: that is an exceptional achievement for me) -and are confident to keep doing so when at 15%. I don't want to change my former newly adapted diet (daily nutrition) for a "Greek God-everything tasty is forbidden" diet. At 6-10% I would have to sacrifice some liberties, like once a week alcohol with a sugared soft drink or my diet without counting cals. I'm also reluctant to up my cardio above what I am doing now, because I hate it more than Nicolas Cage movies.

Those "lone wolf" experiments have done me good actually. My training is intuitive, so is my diet, my farm, my business.
I will not compete and I'm not as narcissistic to yearn for 6-10%BF. My goal is to look better and be stronger at my age, than 90% of old farts around me.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Both, but here's the thing that most people don't understand, subcutaneous water in the abdominal region* is difficult to get rid of, it requires an elimination in the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines secreted by adipocytes and this elimination can only occur when leptin, ghrelin, GH, and insulin levels are at ideal points and when overall systemic inflammation is brought down to zero.

When people deride the loss of "water weight" they're not really understanding that a large percentage of what they perceive as bodyfat is actually what I call "stubborn water weight"

*This water is held because it promotes the rapid distribution of these cytokines throughout the body, which then go on to promote all sorts of undesirable and ultimately destructive metabolic activities throughout the body. This is also why dry fasting brings down systemic (including neuro) inflammation very rapidly.
Astounding knowledge! Newer heard about this.

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
I find your offer awesome -but I decline. I'm somewhat egocentric and creative in nature and love to learn by failure, believe it or not. I'm just not a guy who follows advise. Finding my own way is what I enjoy most, taking bits of advise here -and there, when it fits my ideas.

I was able to hold my current BF% (18-20%) for about a year now (note: that is an exceptional achievement for me) -and are confident to keep doing so when at 15%. I don't want to change my former newly adapted diet (daily nutrition) for a "Greek God-everything tasty is forbidden" diet. At 6-10% I would have to sacrifice some liberties, like once a week alcohol with a sugared soft drink or my diet without counting cals. I'm also reluctant to up my cardio above what I am doing now, because I hate it more than Nicolas Cage movies.

Those "lone wolf" experiments have done me good actually. My training is intuitive, so is my diet, my farm, my business.
I will not compete and I'm not as narcissistic to yearn for 6-10%BF. My goal is to look better and be stronger at my age, than 90% of old farts around me.
No worries -- I'm the same way.

Probably 20% of my knowledge came from higher education, the other 80% was my own tireless research and self-experimentation.

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
Astounding knowledge! Newer heard about this.
The reason why those stubborn fat areas warm up during fasting is because the loss of subcutaneous water promotes better blood flow -- excess subcutaneous water compresses small blood vessels. Less blood flow = less fat burning to that area.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No worries -- I'm the same way.

Probably 20% of my knowledge came from higher education, the other 80% was my own tireless research and self-experimentation.
I already guessed it! :)

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The reason why those stubborn fat areas warm up during fasting is because the loss of subcutaneous water promotes better blood flow -- excess subcutaneous water compresses small blood vessels. Less blood flow = less fat burning to that area.
I have some topical "localized fat burn-scam" creme since 1995 in my cupboard, wondering if this would enhance the effect on those stubborn spots.
Yea or nah?

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nah, because its probably expired. :)

I mean, I know it probably never worked in "normal" circumstances. But a zero cal diet is not so normal...

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
I have some topical "localized fat burn-scam" creme since 1995 in my cupboard, wondering if this would enhance the effect on those stubborn spots.
Yea or nah?
Yohimbine and hydrocortisone powder mixed into Aspercreme is my go to. You can also use ice packs to spot reduce.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yohimbine and hydrocortisone powder mixed into Aspercreme is my go to. You can also use ice packs to spot reduce.
Ice packs? Would have thought heating the spots would help the process, like the creme does. Have no yohimbine powder or anything mentioned.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I use Aspercreme every morning,and not for pain.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thought about the ice packs. You are right. By cooling you force the body to up the temp, burning more cals. I'm a clever dude! #selfpraising

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Spurfy dropping knowledge bombs. Day three seemed pretty okay, minus the mental gymnastics lol

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Spurfy dropping knowledge bombs. Day three seemed pretty okay, minus the mental gymnastics lol
LOL, doing those mental stretches all the time now. "Which food will I eat on Monday when the fast is over?" - Now ALL possible choices are popping up in my head, all while drooling.