48 yr old Needing diet advice!!!

DMAC10

DMAC10

Awards
Hey guys just looking for what has worked for you.

Wanting to gain some weight, I've tried 2 cycles to gain, but both were not very successful. Most of the weight went to the mid section.( due to my errors )

So hears what I'm looking at this time.

48 years old
5' 10 1/2" tall
173 lbs
Body type Ecto

Going to run 5 weeks of H Drol
50/75/75/75/75

If calculateing right my maintenance calories are around 2500 daily

So if I add 500, my target will be 3000 daily divided into 5 meals. Monitor waist and adjust up or down depending on results.

Protein 1.5 x 173 = 259.5 may run up 300

Mostly eating chicken, tuna and beef

Carbs will be from rice and potatoes primarily

Snack will be Unsalted Almonds, yogurt

Some protein shakes throughout the day Pre,Post Mid Day and Casein at Bed time.

60 - 80 oz of water daily ( or more )

Also would it work to do the bulk through the cycle and the PCT Total 10 weeks, or only half way through PCT???

Work out plan

Do each routine every 5th day

Chest, Back Shoulder

Arms ( Bi's and Tri's )

Legs and ABs

Plan on going heavy with Rep range 6-8 with 4 sets of 3 for each body part.

So any advice will be appreceated, just want to have a succesful bulk cycle

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
well. here's my 2 cents. rice and potatos aren't that good for you - if you can switch to whole grain rice and yams you'll be doing wonders for you. normal rice and potatos spike your insulin levels, which is only recommended post workout. also, if you're a true ecto, 3000 calories might not be enough to bulk - even at your age. the workouts you do are also critical to gaining mass. i wrote a snippet about this kind of stuff at:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/99607-gaining-mass-nutshell.html

also, are you on any medication?

DMAC10

DMAC10

Awards
well. here's my 2 cents. rice and potatos aren't that good for you - if you can switch to whole grain rice and yams you'll be doing wonders for you. normal rice and potatos spike your insulin levels, which is only recommended post workout. also, if you're a true ecto, 3000 calories might not be enough to bulk - even at your age. the workouts you do are also critical to gaining mass. i wrote a snippet about this kind of stuff at:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/99607-gaining-mass-nutshell.html

also, are you on any medication?

Thanks for the reply. Haven't tried the whole grain rice, I'll check it out. Can't develope the taste for Yams or sweet potatoes. Guess I really need to suck it up and find away. I really want to have the diet dialed in.

What's your opinion on peanut butter on wheat bread??

The only medication I'm on is Andro Gel for test support. Other than that I'm good to go.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
peanut butter = monounsaturated fat = testosterone. nothing wrong with wheat bread. anything whole wheat or whole grain is always slower digesting.

again though, if your last cycle wasn't successful, give that article a read, because it does address some problems that ecto's have (i am one too).

you should also be fine with the medication.

DMAC10

DMAC10

Awards
Thanks
I have printed it out and will read it a few times to understand and get the most out of it.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
Provided you get sufficient protein (which it appears that you will) and get fats primarily from Essential Fatty Acids and Polyunsaturated fats, and don't go overboard on fat intake, the carb choices and timing will be secondary.

The spiking of insulin only around a heavy bout of resistance training is bodybuilding lore. Yes, there is evidence to support ingestion of CHO/PRO pre- and post-workout, but the post-workout window tapers over time (many hours.)

Most people want to make this process more difficult than it is and a lot of what is slung around is based on historical custom without valid data or research to substantiate it.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Wanting to gain some weight, I've tried 2 cycles to gain, but both were not very successful. Most of the weight went to the mid section.( due to my errors )
What were the 2 cycles of, and what do you feel made them unsuccessful?

DMAC10

DMAC10

Awards
What were the 2 cycles of, and what do you feel made them unsuccessful?

Cycle #1
Mass TAbs
Diet was way off, too many calories and to many simple carbs. Gained weight, but lost it all after PCT

Cycle #2
Oxydrol Pro/propadrol
Never got myself focused on my goal, so calories were way too low and my workouts weren't hard enough.

These were learning experiences for me about PH's and diet and training. Actually learned a lot so I'm planning on takeing that knowledge forward and makeing this next one successful

DMAC10

DMAC10

Awards
Provided you get sufficient protein (which it appears that you will) and get fats primarily from Essential Fatty Acids and Polyunsaturated fats, and don't go overboard on fat intake, the carb choices and timing will be secondary.

The spiking of insulin only around a heavy bout of resistance training is bodybuilding lore. Yes, there is evidence to support ingestion of CHO/PRO pre- and post-workout, but the post-workout window tapers over time (many hours.)

Most people want to make this process more difficult than it is and a lot of what is slung around is based on historical custom without valid data or research to substantiate it.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm mainly concerned on my simple carbs later in the day. So I feel that during the day, any spike will be burned off due to normal physical activity. Since I'm planning 6-7 small meals it should balance out. Just trying to get a variety of food. Chicken every meal can get old.LOL

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
I'm mainly concerned on my simple carbs later in the day. So I feel that during the day, any spike will be burned off due to normal physical activity.
Why?

Do you think that only CHO will raise insulin levels? Do you believe that PRO as no impact on insulin? It does, so how is that last PRO meal of the day, you know, the one right before bed, oxidized? Or does it all go to protein resynthesis?

DMAC10

DMAC10

Awards
Why?

Do you think that only CHO will raise insulin levels? Do you believe that PRO as no impact on insulin? It does, so how is that last PRO meal of the day, you know, the one right before bed, oxidized? Or does it all go to protein resynthesis?

I agree with you on the insulin being increased by more than carbs.

My last protein shake at bedtime will be casein, which will increase insulin but at a slower rate, so the body can utilize it without it being stored as fat.( Or at least thats my understanding). I'm still trying to learn about how different foods effect your body. Never realized how much thought went into training and diet. This is like going back to school. But I love ever minute of it.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i'm going to preface this by saying i have never tried H-drol. I did try another PH though, and my experience is it makes you grow faster (duh). because you're growing faster, i wouldn't worry about getting too many calories in - especially for an ecto, where we don't really gain too much fat. our bulk phase has the same body fat % as some people after cutting. just make sure those calories are good calories. 3k calories might be enough for you, but i'd use that as a minimum for what you'd need to grow from this, not a number to shoot for.

oh, make sure your PCT is spectacular. i've heard that H-drol is pretty mild, but if you're already on a test support, make sure your PCT is dead on.

DMAC10

DMAC10

Awards
i'm going to preface this by saying i have never tried H-drol. I did try another PH though, and my experience is it makes you grow faster (duh). because you're growing faster, i wouldn't worry about getting too many calories in - especially for an ecto, where we don't really gain too much fat. our bulk phase has the same body fat % as some people after cutting. just make sure those calories are good calories. 3k calories might be enough for you, but i'd use that as a minimum for what you'd need to grow from this, not a number to shoot for.

oh, make sure your PCT is spectacular. i've heard that H-drol is pretty mild, but if you're already on a test support, make sure your PCT is dead on.
Thanks

3000 calories will be my 1st week target and then adjust from there. Going to take measurements at the old belly button weekly and use that as my gauge whether to go up or down with calories. Already getting the wife on board to help support the clean bulk phase. we will be useing the oven and grill religiously. LOL
For some reason I have extremely high expectations on this cycle, I'm trying to plan ever detail, I have all ready mapped out my workout days for the next 10 weeks, Got the routine layed out for each body part. If everything goes right tomorrow I'll be getting my new gym equipment then.
Already have all my supplements and have layed out a plan for each day, showing whole food meals and protein shake support, going with 6- 7 meals daily. Actually I'm OCD for this one. I took 2 weeks off to rest and I'm ready to grow.

Realistically I beleive 5- 10 lbs of quality muscle is possable for me. So we will see in 10 weeks.
Thanks again for all your advice.

DMAC10

DMAC10

Awards
futurepilot
Thanks for the rep. points.
Just trying to absorb all the knowledge I can from all of the wise men on this site.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
after 5 weeks of H-drol with a good diet in place, and good PCT there's no reason 10 lbs is unobtainable (8 pounds after PCT), from everything i've read. Ziquor is a CEL representative, so if you have any issues while on cycle, he may be able to help you. if you're OCD about this cycle, you should be cruising on your own.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
Is H-Drol the non-17 alpha-alkalated reincarnation of Halodrol-50? If so, can someone explain why PCT is required for halomethetioallocholane?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
H-drol
4-choloro-17a-methyl-androst-1,4,diene-3-17b-diol

yes, its a relatively mild compound. you need pct because:
1 - its still methylated and hard on the liver
2 - anything that takes the place of YOUR testosterone as the main muscle builder will shut you down - some not as hard as others. others like M-drol (SD) will be much more apparent.
3 - will lower your good cholesterol, which will impede muscle growth over time, among other things.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/weight-loss/4948-pre-workout-more.html

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
H-drol
4-choloro-17a-methyl-androst-1,4,diene-3-17b-diol
Really? 'Cause all the H-DROL that I see available (H-DROL, H-DROL) has an active ingredient of halomethetioallocholane. And they advertise it as a "Proto-Hormone!" That's funny!

The original Halodrol-50 was 17a-methyl, as you mention, but that is a different ingredient than what is being sold in H-DROL. Gaspari discontinued Halodrol-50 almost three years ago.

So, unless DMAC10 stockpiled Halodrol-50 why the need for a PCT with halomethetioallocholane as the active ingredient?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
look up H-drol by CEL, and you'll see the nomenclature i listed above.

DMAC10

DMAC10

Awards
How does everyone count their calories.
Basically my question is this. I tack my calories, protein , carb and fat intake.

But was wondering if you counted your post shake into the toal.

I actuallyy seperate it out, since I assumeing that shake is to aid in recovery. Just a curiosity thing, I know that it stall all a total consumption for the day.

But was just wondering if you counted that towards your daily calorie target or kept it seperate??